1030 Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rumpusroommke.com/
- Phone: 4142920100
- Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday 4pm to midnight
Saturday 2pm to midnight
Sunday 4pm to 10 pm
* Limited menu available after 10:00 pm Monday to Thursday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Kerley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rumpus Room
Rumpus Room is the smashing together of two great places. A great bar with a huge beer selection, craft cocktails, and a incredible whiskey selection and a Bartolotta restaurant serving traditional comfort food with an atypical twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Rumpus Room - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Rumpus Room reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)vibrant bar scene (38)special occasion (32)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (18)late-night find (16)hot spot (14)great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (12)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (3)Show More
- boquet2Dined on 9/13/2014We were running late do to freeway traffic. We called the restaurant that we would be late. They were very understanding and still kept out reservation. They also accomodated our request for prompt service as we had symphony tickets. The menu has great choices for those wanting something not filling to those whose appetite is for something more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scallopsMusicfoodieDined on 9/13/2014The menu is best for red meat eaters. The pan-seared scallops are worth the trip though. A huge beer selection and a decent wine list. It was fairly loud and the piped in music did not match the ambiance. Close to the Marcus CPA and parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RussDined on 9/12/2014Very nice overall. The menu is a little unique, which is good for me but no so good for my wife. However, we both liked what we ordered.Special Features:
- Great foodARB1968VIPDined on 9/12/2014We had the flat bread and the pork schnitzel with a side of asparagus. The food was wonderful. We ate here before and tried alot of the small plates, enjoyed the entree alot more. Would like to come back for a burger. Only complaint would be the noise level. Great place to go before the theater.Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014We were there celebarting a special event. They took very good care of us and it was both a wonderful experience as well as delicious food!Special Features:
- Great first experienceRacineFoodieDined on 9/6/2014This was our first visit to Rumpus Room. The snacks and entree's we chose were great. The bacon was delicious and the pork shoulder was awesome. The host and waitress were awesome. We will be back.Special Features:
- accomodating of our groupdpartyof3Dined on 8/30/2014A group of 11 adults dined for dinner for my husband's 32nd birthday. The host and our waiter were both very accomodating to our large group....we were seated very promptly, and our waiter had excellent timing to get us all drinks, appetizers, entrees, and after-dinner drinks and dessert. Waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and suggested some wonderful beers and cocktails. Food came exactly as ordered. Can't stress enough how great the staff were to our group. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Slow and NoisySoMkeJoeDined on 8/30/2014It took 10 min to seat the 3 groups that had 8:00 reservations 4, 2 & 4!!! The noise level on Sat was so loud I couldn't even have a conversation because we were seated between two large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Gem of the Bartolotta'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Good quality food, excellent drinks, friendly service, all of it for reasonable costSpecial Features:
- Nice place, nice food, good BeerManWorkingHereDined on 8/30/2014We chose to come here because we had a gift certificate and had not been to this location of all the Bartalotta's yet. We enjoyed the time we spent there. The dining area is separated from the bar area by just a divider so if you wish to watch sports, stay in the bar area. We had a Rumpus Burger to split between us. A half pounder, tasty inside, thick bun. Shoestring french fries is their style so they are hard to keep hot before serving. The decor has high ceilings and not much to look at on the walls. Made for a simple dining experience with good food. We had a lighter beer and a porter from the long list of craft beers available. Lots of choices available. Matched well with a burger.Special Features:
- From museum art to menu artmenumuncherDined on 8/30/2014Came from Milwaukee Art Museum Kandinsky Exhibition to the Rumpus Room for dinner. Menu offerings from appetizers to dessett so varied and each entree a masterpiece in its own right. Had taken my friend there as part of early birthday present. Our server Oval was friendly and knowledgeable about menu questions and we had the Roasted Chicken with simple salad. One of the BEST meals ever! Oval brought a special dessert with a candle on top for my friend (and a second fork for me!) Would go back just for that dessert! Needless to say it was a great evening, well worth the 3 1/2 hr drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy anniversary to ussheilap819Dined on 8/23/2014We could have just eaten off the "snack" menu and been satisfied. Started out with bacon and deviled eggs - awesome. For our meals we had a Rumpus burger and the Wisconsin grilled cheese du jour. Both sandwiches were good and were served with a heaping helping of crispy, delicious skinny fries. Finished off with the warm chocolate cake with raspberry sorbet - a rich and satisfying end to the meal. My main disappointment was that I had been checking out the cocktail menu online prior to going, and the one that I had picked out was no longer available. Also our waiter could have checked back a little more during the beginning of the meal - he was very attentive at the end though. Clean bathrooms also get two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChickenLeenmeDined on 8/12/2014Best chicken and potatoes I have ever had in a restaurant. Great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014The busboy had to be asked to clear the table at least twice and we waited over 15 minutes for our check. I also experienced slow service during my last experience at the Rumpus Room so even though the food is very good, I would probably not return.Special Features:
- Great service - Kitchen StruggledKANeumannDined on 8/2/2014We had a great experience with our exceptional server. They gave us 2 apps and we ordered one. We tried to send the second one back and they said, you might as well keep it. They charged us for both, which confused me. One of our steak sandwiches was burnt and had to get sent back as well. Most of the food was good but I was disappointed in getting charged for 2 apps. Not the servers fault but was unfortunate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014The food was great. The entire staff was very friendly. I was very disappointed with the wine list. There are not any sweet wines available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodNonamerDined on 8/1/2014Three of my girlfriends and I came here for a Birthday dinner before the Phantom of the Opera across the street. They have a convenient "Show" menu. It has a few appetizers, main courses, and desserts to choose from for a fixed price of $35. It's nice because then you can put all the orders in at the same time, not sure how much of a deal it is money wise. We ended up just got some sandwiches and drinks. I didn't much care for the french fries there. Normally I like skinny fries but these seemed stale. Our waitress was polite but very slow even when we let her know that we had a show to get to. Parking is bad, but it's downtown so that's expected. Overall, the food was very good, service, not so much.Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration Gone Wrong!!!DowntownDinerDined on 7/31/2014Jam packed restaurant & bar. We had to clear our own bar table from previous guests, get our own wine glasses from the bar, and server was no where to be found. It seemed as though none of the waitstaff knew what was going on. It was 30 minutes past our reservation & we still were not going to be seated, so we ordered food at the bar table. After waiting 90 minutes for appetizers at our bar table, we finally cancelled our order & left. I would NOT recommended this restaurant to anyone!!! A waste of my time & money.
- Not up to Bartolotta standardbeerguy75Dined on 7/31/2014We went to the Rumpus Room on a weeknight before a show at the Pabst Theater after having been to several other of the Bartolotta restaurants over the years. Not sure if they were understaffed for the evening as it was very busy, but the service was inattentive and one of our entrees seemed to have been sitting for a bit before it was delivered. On a couple of occasions we were sitting at our table for 10-15 minutes with empty glasses and no food, waiting on part of our order or looking to order something else. We've spent many special occasions at other Bartolotta restaurants and had great experiences every time, but our first visit to the Rumpus Room ended being memorable for the wrong reasons. The food was generally good.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Theater Dininglg531Dined on 7/30/2014Went to Rumpus Room for dinner before seeing Phantom of the Opera. Had a great meal of Scotch Eggs and a Charcuterie platter. Was impressed that they offered a Phantom of the Opera menu too. Food was great and our waitress did a great job of making sure we were served and ready to go to our show on time! Highly recommend for anytime dining.Special Features:
- Dinner before PhantomGlendaleDined on 7/30/2014We chose this restaurant because of the proximity to the Marcus Center where we went to see Phantom. The waitress was nice, but slow and we had to wait too long for our check. The steak sandwich was excellent as were the drinks we ordered. The scallops were disappointing and my daughter did not eat them, so I shared my sandwich with her-no time to send it back. It was very busy, somewhat noisy but a pleasant experience. Pretty hard to ruin scallops, but they had a weird sauce/seasoning on it.Special Features:
- Always goodtheaterchickDined on 7/29/2014Any Bartolatta excels with service. Consistant smiles and warm welcome are the reason I return over and over. The perfect spot pre-theater spotSpecial Features:
- Needs some tweakingNotacomplainerbutDined on 7/29/2014When one goes out for dinner, it is the total experience that is remembered. The appetizers were small for the price and the waiter forgot one of our items till close to the end of our meal. We could hear each other talk from across the table (and yes, our hearing is normal). The food was very good and we liked the draft beer list. People were very friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- One of our favorites!momofharperDined on 7/26/2014Rumpus Room continues to be on our list of favorites in Milwaukee! The food is outstanding and service is great. We enjoyed our pre-theater dinner, seated outside, and will certainly return. I had the braised pork shoulder and it is easily one of the best dishes I've ever eaten. Served with a sesame and cider glaze, the pork melted in my mouth. My partner had the steak with veal butter and it was prepared beautifully. If you're looking for a great meal, Rumpus Room is not to be missed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014Service was a bit slow. We sat at our table for a while before our waiter came. However, once he arrived he was very good. I found their happy hour a little disappointing as their selections for beer extreamly limited (4-5 tap beers). No food deals. Recommend the cheese and sausage platter and the candied baccon snack.Special Features:
- Tasty and creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014This was my second visit to the Rumpus Room. I was not disappointed. This visit I had the Scotch Egg and the White and Green Asparagus salad. Both were excellent! My only suggestion would be that the Scotch Egg could have been a little bit warmer when served, but it was cooked perfectly. The service is attentive and making reservations through the Open Table web site is convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town dinersOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/20/2014We were in town for the racine half ironman. All I wanted after completing that was a nice juicy burger and a solid crafted cocktail. Rumpus room provided both. Wait staff was very friendly and helpful in their recommendations. I would definitely recommend to out of towners or townies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedDined on 7/19/2014Overall noise level and loud party next to us made it difficult to have a conversation. Kitchen was very slow.Waited 50 minutes for our entree to arrive. Waitress came by three times to say our food was almost ready.
- downtown spothate2cookVIPDined on 7/3/2014We love this place year round. Dont miss the flat breads and the rumpus burger !Special Features:
- Great service and great beer!pondklDined on 6/21/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Rumpus Room recently. We had a wonderful experience, we had a great server, but multiple employees came to our table to greet us and ensure a good time for both of us. The beer list was remarkable and the menu offered something for everyone. We especially enjoyed the meat and cheese board!Special Features:
- went on wrong nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014We went to the Rumpus Room on a Sunday night so I suspect our evening was not typical as this seems to be more of a Bar / Restaurant which probably is quite lively most nights. Food and beverages were very good and waitress was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014This is more of a bar than a restaurant....the cheese/meat plate was a boring three slices each of cheddar and summer sausage...the salmon was great (very tasty and nicely done) but the arugula salad with the long stems did not do much for me...the puff dessert, full of shaving cream/whip cream was equally unimpressive...wont go back.
- Rumpus Room.myniteoutDined on 6/8/2014Excellent food; friendly, but professional and very knowledgeable wait staff; within walking distance of multiple performing arts, sports & special events venues. What more could you ask for? Did I mention the food was excellent?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Downtown DininggbrangerDined on 6/7/2014Went for Downtown Dining dinner. Was excellent selection of items. The cream puff with banana was very interesting, delicious. Great beer selection.Special Features:
- Downtown Dining Week ExperienceFiletFanDined on 6/6/2014My friend and I reserved a table so we could enjoy the Downtown Dining Week Dinner Special. There were two items under each heading (app, entrée, and dessert) so we ordered one of each so we can share. This was our first time dining at the Rumpus Room and they didn't disappoint. The soup was good, but my friend's meat and cheese plate was okay. She said the bread was dry even with the jam, and there's not a lot of cheese. Should be called the meat and bread plate instead. Our entrees were really delicious! My steak frites came with French fries, which both were great. My friend had the salmon arugula salad and she enjoyed that as well. We were so stuffed that we had to take our desserts to go. Overall, a very good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome way to spend anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014A little loud for conversation but overall ambiance good. Walt staff and hosts very friendly and helpful. Awesome beer list and quite a bit of local / Wisconsin beers to choose from. Fantastic food! Pork belly starter was as near to a religious experience I've had.... The play of textures and the rich flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014This was a great date night restaurant. My husband and I had a wonderful time!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014After researching various restaruants in the area, I decided on Rumpus Room based on location and the rave reviews. It was excellent. The beer list was extrordinary and food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014My husband and I found Rumpus on Trip Advisor. We will definitely be back. Everything was delicious. Our server, Esteban was extremely resourceful and accommodating. I would highly recommend!!
- Wonderful!!SchuffsDined on 5/30/2014Took my Fiancé out for her birthday, we were seated right away with our reservations, they brought out the flowers I requested, brought out champagne. It was an amazing experience and we both had an amazing time. The Food was great, the table was perfect and she loved every minute of it. Highly recommend this place for anyone!Special Features: