1030 Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rumpusroommke.com/
- Phone: 4142920100x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday 4pm to 9pm
Saturday and Sunday 4pm to midnight
Sunday to Thursday 5pm to 9pm
Saturday and Sunday 5pm to 10pm*
*Kitchen stays open 30 min after curtain at the Marcus Center
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Guy Davies
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rumpus Room
Rumpus Room is a great restaurant with some great tap beers and a huge whiskeyContinued
selection set in a beautiful room.
selection set in a beautiful room.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Rumpus Room - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Rumpus Room reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)vibrant bar scene (44)special occasion (34)good for groups (31)hot spot (23)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (16)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Food/Service/AmbianceFoodycatDined on 10/28/2014My husband and I chose Rupus Room because of the proximity to Pabst Theater event we were attending. We are so glad we made that choice! We were hesitant because of the small food selection; however, the restaurant more than met our expectations. The food, service and ambiance were great. The steak sandwich was seasoned to perfection! The experience helped contribute to a great date night. We will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarveloustrysomethingnewDined on 10/25/2014My Dad and I chose Rumpus Room based on location to The Rep, and because I had a gift card. The noise level was much more energetic than we had hoped, but our table near the window was a treat. The waiter was friendly, patient, and prompt. He gave us recommendations, and he was correct; the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Great before SHOW!MsmackayDined on 10/24/2014We went to Rumpus Room and then to a show at the Uihlein Theater in downtown Milwaukee. It is right across the street from the theater and extremely convenient. Food was great. We will DEFINITELY do again!Special Features:
- No salted pretzels!thattravelguy3956Dined on 10/20/2014With a great specialty beer list, they ran out of pretzels (not the dry salted type, but the soft, fresh baked, warm, served with brewery mustard cheese type)! They also were tapped out of 2 of the beer types I requested off their menu. May have been a random fluke, but essentially by the third time the waiter returned to say "I am sorry, we 'just' ran out" I was a bit annoyed. Burger was fair, but many are better in Milwaukee.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingalmquian2518Dined on 10/18/2014Had a fairly large group, 10 people, to celebrate my birthday. Staff was friendly and attentive. Food was all served hot and fast considering how many people we had. Have been there before and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dry cleaning needed....JonesyDined on 10/17/2014The food was great, our bartender was fab, the vibe in the place was nice. But what Rumpus Room completely lacks is ventilation. There was an overriding scent of fryer grease and smokey, over cooked something. When we left, we all smelled like we'd been eating jalapeño poppers and hot wings in the neighborhood tavern. I know they're going for English Pub, but some things are better left unreplicated. I'd just picked my coat up from the cleaner and it's headed back Monday.Special Features:
- Friendly Staff Mediocre FoodoccasionalDinerDined on 10/17/2014Immediately upon entering the bar I was greeted by a friendly employee who directed me to the restaurant host, who also welcomed us warmly and showed us to our table. In addition to the menu, we also received a printout with the seasonal selections and specials with the list of currently tapped beers. This made it easier to consider the entire variety of choices, rather than having the specials verbally listed by a server. Once we ordered, it did seem to take a long time for the food to come out of the kitchen, and when it did it was good, but not remarkable.
- Slightly disappointedFoodieDined on 10/14/2014The special request I made on open table (for our anniversary) was not fulfilled or even acknowledged, which was very disappointing. I had high expectations given we have had great experiences at other Bartolotta restaurants in Milwaukee when making similar requests through our OpenTable reservations. The kitchen staff then tried to bring our main entree out before we had even been given the 3 small bites/appetizers we ordered. They rectified this immediately, but it was clear our entrees were then just sitting back under the warmer while we ate the appetizers. (This was clearly indicated by how dry the bone-in chicken was.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-show dinnerluvtoeatinMKEDined on 10/10/2014Went to Rumpus Room for a quick dinner before a show downtown and the service and food were great. Our server kept things moving along without making us feel rushed. Though this is a more casual Bartalotta restaurant, it sacrifices none of the service you'd expect from them.Special Features:
- Roasted Chicken-MmmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Roasted chicken is perfection. Knowledgable server added to dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great and service is betterDrakonDined on 10/10/2014Great food and our server was excellent. Great place to have an early dinner befpre catching a show at the Riverside. They have a ton of craft beer to select from as well. Everything we ordered was fantastic! This is a little higher end restauraunt but unlike other places I have been to it delivers 100% with high quality food that is cooked to perfection! I will go back again and again and you will too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food fast servicepomnianDined on 10/8/2014We were in a rush and the staff was very helpful. Food was very good but not excellent, although we tried quick sandwiches type food but the entrees sounded very interesting, so probably going back to try the restSpecial Features:
- Great for pre-theater or concertNancyVIPDined on 10/4/2014The service is friendly and remarkably efficient, making the restaurant a great spot even on busy nights before concerts and theater in the Wells/Water Street area. There are lots of different options on the menu and the food is consistently well-prepared.Special Features:
- FantasticPatrickDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I ate here before going to the concert. The staff knew it was a concert night, so they were ready for the rush. The food was fantastic, our waiter was absolutely excellent(Kevin), drinks were great. We were not rushed, the food came out just the right temp, and it was great. We Would recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014Dinner at the Rumpus Room on Saturday, 10/4, far exceeded my expectations. Everything about the experience was great. Would definitely recommend as well as return for dinner.Special Features:
- Food was okTravelDinerDined on 10/4/2014The menu is limited but the food taste and quality is good...once you get it. The server was good BUT it took over 40 minutes for us to be served once we ordered. Too long. And this was at the beginning of the night..can't imagine what it would be like with a full restaurant. Nothing special.Special Features:
- Sundays best for the Rumpus Roomcrowbar01Dined on 9/28/2014Last Sunday was quiet--perfect for people watching and celebrating an anniversary. Menu had a wide range of choices--all tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseDennisGDined on 9/27/2014They need some acoustic dampening to lower the noise level.Special Features:
- Safe betEpicureansDined on 9/21/2014We use this place quite a bit especially pre events like we did this Sunday,for an early bite and a drink before heading to the Pabst. Dependable is what it is, love the small share type plates and always have to have the fries. The menu has not changed much since we started coming, thats good and bad in a way, but there is a bit of variety and its always really great food and drinks, love the beer varieties. Great service, well it was quiet so no rush. Will continue to be our Go-to place.Special Features:
- Too noisy to consider returningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Although the meal was adequate, hamburgers good, menu limited, I would not consider returning. The noise level was so bad as to be uncomfortable.Special Features:
- great food okay servicefridayfunDined on 9/19/2014Ford was delicious but service was slow. My husband's order came incorrectly. When the right entree came it wasn't perfectly cooked. My food was excellent! Got a delicious free dessert for the mix up. A little too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boquet2Dined on 9/13/2014We were running late do to freeway traffic. We called the restaurant that we would be late. They were very understanding and still kept out reservation. They also accomodated our request for prompt service as we had symphony tickets. The menu has great choices for those wanting something not filling to those whose appetite is for something more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great scallopsMusicfoodieDined on 9/13/2014The menu is best for red meat eaters. The pan-seared scallops are worth the trip though. A huge beer selection and a decent wine list. It was fairly loud and the piped in music did not match the ambiance. Close to the Marcus CPA and parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RussDined on 9/12/2014Very nice overall. The menu is a little unique, which is good for me but no so good for my wife. However, we both liked what we ordered.Special Features:
- Great foodARB1968VIPDined on 9/12/2014We had the flat bread and the pork schnitzel with a side of asparagus. The food was wonderful. We ate here before and tried alot of the small plates, enjoyed the entree alot more. Would like to come back for a burger. Only complaint would be the noise level. Great place to go before the theater.Special Features:
- Wonderful servicehsimmonDined on 9/6/2014We were there celebarting a special event. They took very good care of us and it was both a wonderful experience as well as delicious food!Special Features:
- Great first experienceRacineFoodieDined on 9/6/2014This was our first visit to Rumpus Room. The snacks and entree's we chose were great. The bacon was delicious and the pork shoulder was awesome. The host and waitress were awesome. We will be back.Special Features:
- accomodating of our groupdpartyof3Dined on 8/30/2014A group of 11 adults dined for dinner for my husband's 32nd birthday. The host and our waiter were both very accomodating to our large group....we were seated very promptly, and our waiter had excellent timing to get us all drinks, appetizers, entrees, and after-dinner drinks and dessert. Waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and suggested some wonderful beers and cocktails. Food came exactly as ordered. Can't stress enough how great the staff were to our group. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Slow and NoisySoMkeJoeDined on 8/30/2014It took 10 min to seat the 3 groups that had 8:00 reservations 4, 2 & 4!!! The noise level on Sat was so loud I couldn't even have a conversation because we were seated between two large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Gem of the Bartolotta'sLorenzoDined on 8/30/2014Good quality food, excellent drinks, friendly service, all of it for reasonable costSpecial Features:
- Nice place, nice food, good BeerManWorkingHereDined on 8/30/2014We chose to come here because we had a gift certificate and had not been to this location of all the Bartalotta's yet. We enjoyed the time we spent there. The dining area is separated from the bar area by just a divider so if you wish to watch sports, stay in the bar area. We had a Rumpus Burger to split between us. A half pounder, tasty inside, thick bun. Shoestring french fries is their style so they are hard to keep hot before serving. The decor has high ceilings and not much to look at on the walls. Made for a simple dining experience with good food. We had a lighter beer and a porter from the long list of craft beers available. Lots of choices available. Matched well with a burger.Special Features:
- From museum art to menu artmenumuncherDined on 8/30/2014Came from Milwaukee Art Museum Kandinsky Exhibition to the Rumpus Room for dinner. Menu offerings from appetizers to dessett so varied and each entree a masterpiece in its own right. Had taken my friend there as part of early birthday present. Our server Oval was friendly and knowledgeable about menu questions and we had the Roasted Chicken with simple salad. One of the BEST meals ever! Oval brought a special dessert with a candle on top for my friend (and a second fork for me!) Would go back just for that dessert! Needless to say it was a great evening, well worth the 3 1/2 hr drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy anniversary to ussheilap819Dined on 8/23/2014We could have just eaten off the "snack" menu and been satisfied. Started out with bacon and deviled eggs - awesome. For our meals we had a Rumpus burger and the Wisconsin grilled cheese du jour. Both sandwiches were good and were served with a heaping helping of crispy, delicious skinny fries. Finished off with the warm chocolate cake with raspberry sorbet - a rich and satisfying end to the meal. My main disappointment was that I had been checking out the cocktail menu online prior to going, and the one that I had picked out was no longer available. Also our waiter could have checked back a little more during the beginning of the meal - he was very attentive at the end though. Clean bathrooms also get two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChickenLeenmeDined on 8/12/2014Best chicken and potatoes I have ever had in a restaurant. Great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014The busboy had to be asked to clear the table at least twice and we waited over 15 minutes for our check. I also experienced slow service during my last experience at the Rumpus Room so even though the food is very good, I would probably not return.Special Features:
- Great service - Kitchen StruggledKANeumannDined on 8/2/2014We had a great experience with our exceptional server. They gave us 2 apps and we ordered one. We tried to send the second one back and they said, you might as well keep it. They charged us for both, which confused me. One of our steak sandwiches was burnt and had to get sent back as well. Most of the food was good but I was disappointed in getting charged for 2 apps. Not the servers fault but was unfortunate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014The food was great. The entire staff was very friendly. I was very disappointed with the wine list. There are not any sweet wines available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodNonamerDined on 8/1/2014Three of my girlfriends and I came here for a Birthday dinner before the Phantom of the Opera across the street. They have a convenient "Show" menu. It has a few appetizers, main courses, and desserts to choose from for a fixed price of $35. It's nice because then you can put all the orders in at the same time, not sure how much of a deal it is money wise. We ended up just got some sandwiches and drinks. I didn't much care for the french fries there. Normally I like skinny fries but these seemed stale. Our waitress was polite but very slow even when we let her know that we had a show to get to. Parking is bad, but it's downtown so that's expected. Overall, the food was very good, service, not so much.Special Features:
- Birthday Celebration Gone Wrong!!!DowntownDinerDined on 7/31/2014Jam packed restaurant & bar. We had to clear our own bar table from previous guests, get our own wine glasses from the bar, and server was no where to be found. It seemed as though none of the waitstaff knew what was going on. It was 30 minutes past our reservation & we still were not going to be seated, so we ordered food at the bar table. After waiting 90 minutes for appetizers at our bar table, we finally cancelled our order & left. I would NOT recommended this restaurant to anyone!!! A waste of my time & money.
- Not up to Bartolotta standardbeerguy75Dined on 7/31/2014We went to the Rumpus Room on a weeknight before a show at the Pabst Theater after having been to several other of the Bartolotta restaurants over the years. Not sure if they were understaffed for the evening as it was very busy, but the service was inattentive and one of our entrees seemed to have been sitting for a bit before it was delivered. On a couple of occasions we were sitting at our table for 10-15 minutes with empty glasses and no food, waiting on part of our order or looking to order something else. We've spent many special occasions at other Bartolotta restaurants and had great experiences every time, but our first visit to the Rumpus Room ended being memorable for the wrong reasons. The food was generally good.Special Features: