175 1st St.
Friday Harbor, WA 98250Neighborhood:
San Juan Islands
Contemporary EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rumor-millsanjuan.com/
- Phone: 3603785555x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Daily: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Oren Combs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have a wide variety of entertainment, 250 nights of the year. Please check facebook for monthly calendar. Trivia every Thursday oct-april. Jazz and open mics nites rotate every second Sundays. Swing/big band the last Friday of every month, mostly a blues line-up on Wednesdays. We frequently have Americana, blue grass, indie or alternative rock, rock n roll, country, and so much more!
A word from Rumor Mill
We offer the freshest ingredients as locally sourced as possible. Our menu includes something for everyone and we cater to every dietary need. We feature a menu with Mediterranean overtones that embrace our heritage, including spanakopita, pasta, gyros and our lamb burgers, best in house made hummus and tzatziki. Our menu includes pizza, steaks, burgers, vegan, vegetarian and gluten free choices, fresh seafood, local lamb,smoker bbq, great salads,and a children"s menu. We offer the best happy hour daily 4-6:30. Full bar, extensive by the glass wine list and 24 beer taps(best IPA selection on the islands). Best place to hear live music and dance, family friendly and full menu available till close. We are able to large parties, wedding rehearsal dinners, and will help you with all your celebration needs. Proudly support our local farmers, musicians and families. Eat, Drink and Enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rumor Mill reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Go for the music, not the foodMaggieDined on 10/2/2014The music was great, which is the reason I went there. The food wasn't so good, though the salad appetizer was fresh and nice. The apple blueberry crisp at dessert was good. Dinner itself was extremely salty and the vegetables were drowned in salty sauce. Soup was too spicy for my mother and not terribly warm. They aren't known for their food but having live music was great!
- Local specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2014The food here is great. A nice range from pub food to foodie food, with a lot of local high-quality sourcing that is important to us. We went on a night when live music was scheduled. There was some problem with the scheduled players, so a group of local musicians gathered together for an impromptu performance and were amazingly good. This is part of the local character of Friday Harbor and we enjoyed our evening very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best fish and chipsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The fish and chips are some of the best I've ever badSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 21 reviews are from the Rumor Mill reviews archive.
- Amazing food with live music!noclownsDined on 5/25/2014Food was really amazing! Live music almost every night! Great place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, wide choicesKokopelliDined on 5/24/2014Most had a great dinner I had the greek plate the souvlaki was a bit on the chewy side, the Greek Salad was really good, the pizza was great and the pork sandwich I was told was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just so goodkpno97VIPDined on 5/23/2014They have live music during dinner, The foor was so good, especially the goat cheese appetizer . But the rest of the food was perfect too.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentUltracsicVIPDined on 4/12/2014Matt and his staff do a great job at making you feel at home in addition to providing some unique and delicious food. We had a variety of the small plates and they were all excellent. Paired with a nice Cabernet...made for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding Local Dining SpotTomRyanDined on 3/17/2014We have been to the Rumor Mill several times, twice for special events on Valentine's Day and St. Patrck's Day. The food and service is always first rate! There is an extensive menu of beer on tap, a good wine selection, and a full bar. Best place in Friday Harbor! It's the happening place for local social activities. highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - Fun place!JudyDined on 2/28/2014We had such good food and fun atmosphere that we came back for a second night in a row! We saw a different band each night. Even danced to one if them. Wish we could come back for Sunday might jazz! Definitely check them out.Special Features:
- Excellent small night & dinner clubahdiiiVIPDined on 2/16/2014We were pleasantly surprised with the food and the entertainment thought the music did not need to be amplified as the club is small ! . Great service and a menu that is "all over the page", as well as the drink menu is "way out there !" All the food was done very nicely and the drinks were made well. The food offerings were wildly varied from American to Greek to California Nuveau, and European. Some of the cocktails sounded interesting and some sounded awful. WE left right after dinner because we could not hear each other to talk afterwards. The restaurant lost our evening drink orders because of the volume. Over all a great local attempt at a small nightclub atmosphere that comes off well for Friday Harbor !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute little small town nightclub !ahdiiiVIPDined on 2/15/2014This was our first time to Friday Harbor and it was a family dinner out. This is a cute small town attempt at a nightclub and restaurant... and it works ! The menu and the drink list is "all over the page" meaning an assembly of many types and cuisines. The drink list had some interesting sounding drinks, and some that sounded horrible. We did not experiment. Our food was hot and very good. Service was professional and friendly. The music was excellent but LOUD. The size of the club should have dictated if they used amplifiers or not ! We left as soon as the music started. We would have liked to stay and talk and have another drink or two, but could not hear over the music. Overall the experience was quaint and pleasant. C&HSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good music, no coverLocalMusicLoverDined on 2/14/2014Most weekends you can count on live music. A good variety of local bands and imported groups. We only make reservations on holidays like Valentines. The menu has a good variety that will satisfy the entire family. The beer selection is large. We often bring our visiting friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DaynoclownsDined on 2/14/2014My husband took me to the Rumor Mill for Valentine's Day dinner. We were awed by the beautiful decorations when we walked in. We loved the placement of our romantic table for 2. There were several specials and they all sounded so good it was hard to decide. My husband and Coq au Riesling, a different choice for him but he loved it and I had the flat iron steak that was cooked to perfection. The waiter was attentive, we always had filled water glasses and the owner even came out to check how we were doing! This was a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Fun New Year's Eve celebrationnoclownsDined on 12/31/2013We had great food, great music and rang in a New Year.Special Features:
- A wonderful experiencenoclownsDined on 11/27/2013We enjoyed a fantastic tasting green curry beef with vegetables. My husband had a pizza and loved it. We also enjoyed the singer/songwriter that was playing this evening. We could understand his lyrics and still have a conversation. Really great place!!Special Features:
- Wonderful food plus jazznoclownsDined on 11/10/2013We had a great night at the Rumor Mill. Service was impeccable even though the place was packed. I had parmesan crusted cod and my husband had a pizza, they were both wonderful! The addition of a really good jazz quintet was perfect. I will definitely be going to the Rumor Mill again and often!Special Features:
- All around fantasticDinnerduoDined on 10/6/2013A great evening - food, service, and pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great options on MenuMikeHDined on 10/1/2013You can find Gluten Free and Vegan dishes marked on menu. The specials are always interesting. The Beer menu also contains Gluten Free options, a rarity. My wife had a bacon cheeseburger with a twist with Pancetta and Gorgonzola. I had the gluten free Salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun Thursday nightflowrymallryDined on 8/22/2013The setting: It's key to come to Friday Harbor on a weeknight; too many tourists Friday through Sunday. The table we got was pleasant, right next to the front "wall" of the restaurant, exposed to open air by a raised garage door (well concealed by plant boxes). The live music was an unidentifiable sub-genre of rock, but the performers were talented and sang remarkable harmonies. The food: the Beet Salad was wonderful (even without the goat cheese, ordered vegan), with a noteworthy citrus cumin dressing. The dessert, a fresh Blueberry and Nectarine plate with a dollop of sweet cream, was one of the best desserts I've ever had, simple and sweet. Another diner at our table ordered a Capicola pizza which he loved.Special Features:
- Rumor has it...lookn4adventureDined on 7/13/2013We were out shopping and stumbled upon the Rumor Mill. The menu was posted outside. Is sounded interesting and different so we made a reservation for that evening. The menu was not very big but the food was fantastic. We tried the Red Pepper and Cauliflower soup and smoked chicken wings from the daily sheet; both were scrumptious, For dinner my husband had the meatloaf...it was not your mama's meatloaf. Beef and pork, savory and cooked under a layer of bacon. While this was great...it was the gravy that was the ultimate. There was also a nod to the owners Greek roots and the combo was amazing from freshly made Spanakopita and house Greek Dressing. The food offered was obviously made with care and attention. Loved it!Special Features:
- Amazing 5 course dinnernoclownsDined on 6/20/2013We were there for a 5 course dinner paired with Widmer beers. Every single course was superb! Wait staff was very busy yet still very attentive! I love this place!Special Features:
- Great food, staff and musicnoclownsDined on 6/7/2013The food was exceptional (3 different things ordered and we were exchanging bites with oohs and aaahs) Our waitress was always right there when we needed her, not sure quite how she did that with all of the tables she had but it was awesome! We added an extra person at the last minute and it was no problem for them to fit her in. Music was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and MusicnoclownsDined on 5/31/2013The food was great as well as the service, the best strawberry shortcake I have ever had. There was a big band playing this night and the place was hopping!! Really fun night!Special Features:
- Exceptional experiencenoclownsDined on 5/19/2013At the Rumor Mill after a movie. There was an open mic event, the mellow music added to our enjoyment. We sat in the lounge area, the waitress was very attentive and aware of our needs. The food was really great, I haven't had kalbi ribs that good since living in Hawaii. My husband ordered the reuben and was very pleased with the in house prepared corned beef and the choice of sides. Definately will go again!Special Features: