523 Maple ave. West
Vienna, VA 22180Neighborhood:
AfghanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://rumisbistro.com/
- Phone: 7032422138
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afghan, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: You can book Rumis Bistro for your private party. Please call 7032422138 for more details.
- Private Party Facilities: You can book Rumis Bistro for your private party. Please call 7032422138 for more details.
- Private Party Contact: SAMIRA FEDA 7032422770
- Entertainment: Rumis Bistro
A word from Rumi's Bistro
What you are about to experience is centuries in the making. Afghanistan has been a melting pot for many cultures and tradition over the centuries, and you will find these influences in variety of Afghan dishes such as Qabili, Aushak and Dolma. You can detect the similarities of Afghan food with Greek, Turkish, Middle Eastern, Persian and Indian dishes. Different ethnic groups including the Pashtuns, Tajiks, Hazaras, Uzbeks, Baluchis and Turkmons have also left their mark on Afghan traditions and food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rumi's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Where is everyone?AlessandroVIPDined on 9/15/2013We arrived at Rumi's to find no one in the restaurant, neither customers nor staff. After waiting, I went looking into the service area and finally downstairs at the kabob place that is owned by the same person as the restaurant. I found a waitress to come up to serve us. The ambience was awful. First, Central Asian technopop was playing very loudly. Secondly, it was quite hot with heat blowing down on us from the overhead vents. I asked the waitress to please turn down the heat and we subsequently found arctic air blasting down on us. We finally got all music and air, hot and cold, turned off to make the dining room comfortable. The food was OK; however, it was not hot, clearly coming precooked from the downstairs kabob place.
- Rumi's Bistro is beautifulcumitguVIPDined on 8/4/2013Rumi's Bistro is beautiful inside (the upper level). The Afghan food was very good with only one problem. The overly generous use of black pepper can cause a problem for someone who doesn't have an asbestos palette, Value was good. I don't understand why we were the only ones there on a Saturday night. This new restaurant on the site previously Nizams needs ,more publicity.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/30/2013Excellent food, great service, really nice, cozy atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The right place to be differentRichVIPDined on 7/12/2013Great environment and great food transport you to another place, without leaving Vienna! I just don't know where you can get thehomestead cooked Advanced food in the Metro area with the ambiance of being there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Superb!SamLDined on 7/9/2013The food and the service were superb. In addition (and rare these days), the restaurant was quiet! It was wonderful and we certainly will go back whenever we can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful quiet place. Great foodpeanutsoupVIPDined on 6/8/2013The gracious owner is always on hand making dining at Rumi's Bistro a beautiful and personal experience. The food is wonderful, the room is elegant yet playful and the food is good value. We recommend the lamb and the pumpkin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Over PricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2013The bistro/restaurant wasn't exactly what we expected compared to what we saw online. The online menu wasn't the same as the bistro/restaurant. The place felt more like a bedroom or an apartment. The food was good, the service was outstanding, but this place is not somewhere you'd take someone special or go to on any special occasion, if you wanted to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special findRichVIPDined on 6/4/2013Afghan food is different and great! The atmosphere is wonderful and intimate. I will keep coming back to try more of the variety of food that is just not available elsewhere. Its like you are transported to another place just walking up stairs from the streets of Vienna.Special Features:
- 1st Time DiningFirsttimedinersDined on 6/3/2013Rumi's food was excellent as was our service. The spices were fantastic without overpowering the food. The dumplings were light and the meat sauce very aromatic. You can tell a lot of care goes into the food preparation. My only negative obsetvation was the mirrors and windows need a good cleaning. Everything else was nice. I would definitely try this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place! We intendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013Excellent place! We intend to go back again soon. The food was fantastic. We had lamb chops and stuffed pepper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightfull surprise! LocatedTallTalesVIPDined on 4/20/2013A delightfull surprise! Located in a small strip mall, upstairs over its siblling which sservess Kaabobs and take-out. A charming, cozy space with seven or eight tables serving sensational regional food. Highly recommend. The server told us they are getting their full liquor license within the month, which will make some patrons very happy. We'll be back and will bring friends.Special Features:
- We had a great time at Rumi'sShushuVIPDined on 3/30/2013We had a great time at Rumi's Bistro. It is a small and cozy restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was great. I will definitely go back with my wife and try different dishes.
- My girlfriend and I dinedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2013My girlfriend and I dined on a Wednesday, there were only 2 other occupied tables so it was rather quiet. Being that they only have 7 tables, I don't imagine it gets too loud here. The food was fantastic (highly recommend the lamb in pomegranate reduction, and the hummus trio), service was outstanding, and the overall atmosphere was very charming. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Delightful, Unusual CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/25/2013Really delicious Afghan food (similar in flavors to Ethiopian food without the spongy bread) and Mediterranean appetizers. Beautiful dining room and incredibly nice, attentive (but not clingy) staff.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem--Afghan styleOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/22/2013Rumi's is the more dressed-up, upstairs room of this 2 level establishment owned by a lovely young Afghan couple. The husband cooks & the wife, Samara, runs the dining room, treating all her guests like old friends. The Afghan dishes are delicious--rich and assertively spiced, and nicely presented. Portions are large. If you like aushak, you'll love their version. The stuffed peppers are also excellent. Finish with some rice pudding and some cardamom tea.Special Features:
- Stop reading this and justOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/19/2013Stop reading this and just go! Great local restaurant with amazing food.Special Features:
- for the upstairs in-restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2013for the upstairs in-restaurant dining section, they need to add another server. we went on a thursday evening, and the single server (with no bussing staff), while very pleasant, was clearly "over-subscribed." in addition, if they hope to attract an in-house dining clientele, they need to pay some attention to the wine list. the only bottle of sauvignon blanc, which was the most expensive white wine, had no taste. the pinot grigio we had substituted was only ok. more and better choices are needed. ambiance also could use a little help; although the restaurant has been open only a year, the decor looks faded. but the food, when we got it, was absolutely, mouth-wateringly excellent!!!!Special Features:
- Great hole-in-the-wall find.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/6/2013Wonderful hole-in-the-wall find. Rumored to have belly dancing on Saturdays. The food was delicious! Our server/hostess was fantastic. Definitely go for the hummus trio for an appetizer.Special Features:
- Definitely a Keeper!breakfastloverVIPDined on 3/2/2013Wow. This is a keeper for sure! Some of the best Afghan food around. My husband ordered the lamb special. The lamb was "melt in your mouth" tender, the flavor was fabulous and the rice was plentiful. I ordered the Dulma (sp?) and was equally pleased. First rate all around. The wait staff was helpful and attentive. We will certainly return!Special Features:
- Rumi's is a great find. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2013Rumi's is a great find. The atmosphere is small and quaint and food was wonderful. You must try the sampler with the pumpkin for an appetizer and the Dolma out of this world.Special Features:
- One of my favorite restaurants!Givmeabr8kVIPDined on 2/18/2013This is my second time at Rumi's. I went with some girlfriends and we all tried something different. We started out with the Rumi's Sampler. All four sauces were delightfully different. I especially liked the Haleem. Entrees we chose were the Aushak (amazing dumplings). This is a big dish. Next time I'll share, I think. One of my friend's chose the Qabili and it was delicious, also. The last time I went I chose the stuffed pepper dish. I think that's definitely my favorite. I love going here because it's so warmly decorated and the service is impeccable.Special Features:
- Not to be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/15/2013Wonderful Middle Eastern (Afghan) food in a beautiful setting. The owner/waitress, Samira, is lovely and very helpful with making menu selections. The decor is beautiful: it feels like Aladdin's cave! We've eaten here many times, and will return again and again.Special Features:
- We went for valentines day.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013We went for valentines day. their prix fixe menu was great. the service was great. very intimate setting. next time it would be fun to reserve their couch seating.Special Features:
- The belly dancing was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013The belly dancing was excellent and a great addition to the restaurant on special occasions.Special Features:
- Unique and exoticBobFVVIPDined on 2/13/2013My wife and I wanted a treat on the night before Valentines day and we were not disappointed by this lovely little dining room. Rumi's Bistro is upstairs from a casual dining Kabob place, offering delightful main dishes from the same kitchen as the place downstairs, in a unique and comfortable, eclectic setting. A small dining room with a few tables, purple walls and mirrors, Arabic music and on some nights a belly dancer, this is an experience hard to get outside of Beirut or Kaubul. The menu has all the standards and the food is prepared extremely well - I had chicken kabob with two rices and chick peas and my wife had the special pomegranate lamb. We brought a bottle of our own wine and there was a reasonable 10.00 corkage fee.Special Features:
- Delicious Afghan food, charmingEllenPDined on 2/9/2013Delicious Afghan food, charming dining room, gracious service. The Afghan-style decor makes you feel like you're walking upstairs into a different continent. In addition to regular dining tables, they have several cozy seating areas around small tables that would be perfect for a date or having drinks and food with friends.Special Features:
- the food is wonderful, theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/4/2013the food is wonderful, the atmosphere is cozy and the decor is definitely memorable.Special Features:
- Fantastic and authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013we were four for dinner. We all thought the food delicious. Two had the Dulma, a great Afghan dish with just the right spices and portion. I went for the lamb which was excellent. The fourth was a special for the night which was also great but can't recall the name. Bread was baked on order and served hot. Very good freshly pre-pared houmouses. Understand that on some occasions Belly Dancer also there and can be booked. Ask Samara to explain anything.Special Features:
- Wonderful Afghan restaurant!Givmeabr8kVIPDined on 1/14/2013My girlfriend and I went there on a Monday night and we had a wonderful time. The owner served us and she was delightful. The food is incredibly good. We started out with the Baba Ghannoush...the best I've tasted. Then, went on to have the stuffed bell peppers. They aren't on their downloadable menu and I can't remember the name of the dish but they were to die for! We had a lamb and yogurt dish as well, which was tasty, too. I love the atmosphere here. It's done in aubergine and mustard...so cozy and friendly. Remember, it's upstairs from the kabob restaurant.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/9/2013Fantastic food and wonderful service in this hidden neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/6/2013My sister and I had the experience of dining here as Rumi's Bistro's first lunch customers (they've only been open for dinner but are now experimenting with offering lunch). We shared two entrees, aushak (dumplings) and the special of the day, a stuffed pepper. Both meals, along with the spicy pepper hummus for an appetizer, were delicious. In addition, the restaurant itself is beautifully decorated and has a charming atmosphere. I highly recommend it, especially for lunch if they continue to offer it. Try it if you're in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Great Afghan RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/31/2012Rumi's is a small, neighborhood restaurant serving wonderful Afghan dishes. It's owned by a wonderful young couple who make you feel like you're like having dinner at their home. The husband (Rumi?) does the cooking--and these are about the best versions of Afghan dishes I've tried. Pomegranate lamb is tart and exotic. Stuffed peppers are rich and spicy. Rumi's aushak is the best anywhere. Everything is fresh, nicely presented, and portions are very generous. Samira is the hostess/server. She runs the place with such warmth and enthusiasm. I keep going back, with friends, with family, and it's always a great experience.Special Features:
- A hidden gem in ViennaDbrown8302Dined on 12/31/2012Whenever I discover a great restaurant, I am torn between keeping that information to myself to continue to enjoy excellent food with personalized service in a quiet almost private atmosphere OR shouting out to everyone to try this restaurant. That is how I feel about Rumi's Bistro. You must try this delightful restaurant. It is deserving of being shared as a hidden gem.Special Features:
- What a charming restaurant.discerningdinerVIPDined on 12/12/2012What a charming restaurant. The food was delicious and the service was wonderful. A real treat and find in our home town. We had the Hummus and tomatoes and feta for appetizers. The hummus was excellent, the tomato and feta was just okay as the tomatoes were not very good, hard to find ripe tomatoes this time of the year. However, when tomotoes in season this would be a killer appetizer/salad. We both got the specials, a lamb dish with pomegranate sauce, unbelievably delicious, served with rice garnished with pomegranates, a beautiful presentation, and a stuffed pepper with rice lentils and ground meat, equally yummy. We will definitely be regulars here.Special Features:
- Everything was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2012Everything was excellent. The lamb kabab stood out - great marinade, succulent and tender. Wonder why they are so economical with meat quantities, however.
- I love this place and i willOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2012I love this place and i will be back. They have tried so hard. Food is delicious. Our server was friendly, knowledgable, and just so invested! The ambiance is not unnatractive but missing something. They want you to enjoy yourself and their friendly attitude makes up for the ambiance. I'd like to try the cute couch nooks they created by the windows next time.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spot.FabulousDined on 11/9/2012Great neighborhood spot. Great salads. Limited choices for vegetarians which is unusual for Afghan food. Owner was fabulous! Welcoming and genuinely appreciative of our business.Special Features:
- Love this place, have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/6/2012Love this place, have been several times - food is always delicious, owners are lovely.
- Family-owned gem. FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2012Family-owned gem. Fantastic food, gorgeous ambiance, and pleasant service. Samira (I believe that's her name) was short-handed on a busy night but she made it work. I recommend the stuffed peppers.Special Features:
- One of the best Afghan restaurants.PetworthVIPDined on 9/28/2012I love, love, love Afghan food and Rumi's was fantastic. I live in the District and had to meet someone "halfway" who was near Dulles for dinner. This came up on OpenTable so I made the reservation and so glad I did. The food was fantastic and the service was just as good. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves or wants to try Afghan food!Special Features: