Rumbo Al Sur
4239 Park Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94602Neighborhood:
Regional MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rumbo Al Sur
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rumboalsurrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (510) 479-1208
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tues, Wed, Thurs: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm, Sunday 4:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Regional Mexican, South American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Colgan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Rumbo al Sur has a number of small, private rooms and alcoves perfect for celebrations. Please contact Jeff Berlin for inquiries
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Berlin 5104791208
A word from Rumbo Al Sur
Rumbo al Sur celebrates the flavors of Mexico and Latin America using fresh, seasonal ingredients. In addition to variety of large and small plates, Rumbo al Sur offers hand crafted cocktails using fresh juices, house made syrups and a variety of unique tequilas, piscos and cachacas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rumbo Al Sur reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (29)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (16)good for groups (15)special occasion (15)romantic (10)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- The wine list is notable asGeorgeVIPDined on 1/21/2012The wine list is notable as it is almost purely Argentinian and Chilean; cocktails - which are outstanding - are also Latin-themed. The menu also rotates, so you won't face the same-old each time you go. This place is off to a very strong start.Special Features:
- This is our new favorite-OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/20/2012This is our new favorite- it hasn't been open long, but we have been there ten times.Special Features:
- We enjoyed drinks and smallOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 1/19/2012We enjoyed drinks and small plates in the bar. The food is fun and tasty. Everything is a little spicey (which we love) but if you don't then check with your server for suggestions. Our service was excellent and they helped us pick great selections.Special Features:
- Peruvian inspired experienceLovefoodDined on 1/16/2012We ordered several of the Peruvian inspired dishes, the chicharon (chicken) was really good, but they missed the mark a bit by not serving it with lemon. We asked for lemon wedges and added it to the chicken. We were instantly transported to Lima! The sauce tasted like it contained yuacatay, a Peruvian herb that you don't find regularly- major plus! The short ribs were very good! We also tried the spinach salad and the tamales. Both were tasty. We ordered two notable cocktails, one with chicha (purple corn drink) and another with lucuma, both yummy and strong! We were surprised that lucuma ice cream was not on the menu, given that Peru has such a strong influence on the menu and ambiance (music by ima sumac, etc).Special Features:
- Consitently a Dining Pleasure!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/15/2012My 6th visit since Rumbo al Sur's November opening. Treating my neighbors to dinner at our FAB new restaurant in Glenview! Three adults and one child in the group. Perfect high-table at the front window to take in the lively atmosphere, inside and out. A delightful dining experience for all! Delicious lamb, ribs (two variations), chili rellenos, tamales, chicharrones de pollo and more... Every dish beautifully presented with luscious libations to complement each choice. Great small plates and tasty drinks for kids too. The deserts are DIVINE! Rumbo is consistently a dining pleasure!Special Features:
- In a local neighborhood withPhilDined on 1/14/2012In a local neighborhood with excellent dining available, the long awaited Rumbo Al Sur just doesn't match up. Perhaps it is the large central bar that makes everything else feel like an after-thought. Or maybe it is the lackluster service staff that weren't informed that diners enjoy good energetic service. But mainly it's the food, that seems like it was pulled together from other restaurants that make it a little better...think Bocanova or Le Vende. Hopefully, it's just growing pains.
- Two words-Taco Tuesday. GorgeousOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/14/2012Two words-Taco Tuesday. Gorgeous small tacos, three for $9. Delicious margaritas $6. Happening scene, buy not rowdy or hipster (they're all Uptown/downtown, thank you...)Special Features:
- The hostess was good, butChiefump2003Dined on 1/14/2012The hostess was good, but our waiter was no better than adequate. He was not personable or engaging. After the meal, and after we settled the tab, we waited too long until we had to remind him to bring our box too go. We had trouble catching his attention several times during the meal and after. Forgetting to bring a box is understandable; being oblivious to our needs is not.Special Features:
- They did a wonderful job withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/13/2012They did a wonderful job with the decor. We enjoyed the food,the four items we ordered was enough. The menu was very limited. I assume that they will change it often. The only complaint we had was the size of the cocktails they were very small and loaded with ice. Not a good value for the price. The beer was very good and priced right. The next time I wouldn't bother with the cocktails and just order beer.The staff was very attentive.I would definately go there again.Special Features:
- We were a bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/10/2012We were a bit disappointed with the menu and the food at Rumbo Al Sur. The menu is very limited and we were not sure what type of cuisine was in charge of the lineup. We got three appetizers and two larger plates. Most were just average with the exception of the mussels, which were very good. I ordered the albondigas, which were supposed to have a hard boiled egg inside. While there was a color difference inside the meatball, it was not distinguishable as an egg. Everything else about the restaurant is great including the bar and ambiance. We hope they settle into a more desirable menu and begin to excel at certain signature dishes.
- The mussels! The mussels!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2012We took my grandson and two of his friends, and everyone ordered different things to share. The best surprise was the mussels. Everything else, the ceviche the ribs, the chicharrones were all excellent, but next time we go, I'm having the mussels. And not sharing.Special Features:
- Overall, fabulous -- food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/7/2012Overall, fabulous -- food, ambiance. Service person was attentive but could have been a little bit friendlier.Special Features:
- Loved the chicken mole w/sweetLDR1Dined on 1/6/2012Loved the chicken mole w/sweet potato mash and the beet salad! Wonderful cocktails and great wine list.Special Features:
- We were seated in a back areaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/6/2012We were seated in a back area that felt very isolated. Was disappointed in the interior, just not really comfortable and inviting. Great light fixtures and wall color..Special Features:
- Overall, the restaurant hadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/3/2012Overall, the restaurant had potential to be a fun comfortable place to dine with friends. However it missed the mark with the drinks and desserts. The cocktails had interesting ingredients and combinations but were not enjoyable to drink (tasted 2 drinks, sorry I don't remember). I did end up with a wine that I enjoyed. The chocolate dessert also had interesting ingredients but was too sweet and I did not enjoy the taste. I did like the empanadas and acaraje (black eyed peas fritters). The mussels were okay, lukewarm, I wouldn't order them again. The service was friendly and accommodating.
- Music was too loud and conduciveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Music was too loud and conducive to a bar, not dining. Please tone it down. Food was fresh, if pedestrian. Looking forward to trying more menu items. Good start to a long awaited arrival in the Glenview.Special Features:
- Great cocktail menu. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/30/2011Great cocktail menu. The food was excellent. Weordered the bread pudding foe dessert which was disappointing.Special Features:
- I really enjoyed Rumbo alGeorgeVIPDined on 12/30/2011I really enjoyed Rumbo al Sur! Prices are extremely reasonable for food of this quality. Cocktails are interesting and the two we had were excellent (including one with guava juice, pisco, lime, and St. Germain elderflower liqueur). I didn't scrutinize the wine list but it looked predominantly, if not exclusively, from Chile and Argentina, which is fun and distinctive. The place has clearly been discovered, as it was packed with an animated crowd. Service was a little overly relaxed - for example, our two salads arrived before our drinks were served - but otherwise friendly and competent. I'll look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Long awaited and worth theMferVIPDined on 12/29/2011Long awaited and worth the wait. We hope that the back room gets more lighting soon. Will return and oftenSpecial Features:
- My meal was very good. MyUninspiredDined on 12/29/2011My meal was very good. My husband wasn't crazy about his. The ambience was weird. It was very dark with dark curtains and the place was chopped up into small, warren-like spaces. With so my great restaurants in Oakland, I'm not too inclined to go back.
- For a very expensive restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/28/2011For a very expensive restaurant it was the most loud, of any, we have been to, we could not hear each other as a group. Four of our party of 8 did not like the food, while it was good, it was very spicy. If you like spicy food go for it. Maybe they've tried to fit too much of a bar with a resturant, something is over powwering that place? The waiter suggested we order more, and we did, at his suggestion. Usually waiters will be more of an advocate for new customers; we have never had that experience (usually they will caution you or speak up). We were embarrassed at recommending it to the group we were with.
- We really enjoyed everything,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2011We really enjoyed everything, and want to go back to try more dishes before the menu changes!Special Features:
- A welcome addition to theMbk333VIPDined on 12/23/2011A welcome addition to the neighborhood in Glen Park. Best dishes the three of us had were the romaine lettuce salad and the meat balls. Rib dish was a disappointment. Not only for being a small portion for the price, but the heavy smoked flavor was overwhelming. Whole fish dish was interesting, and got mixed reviews with the three of us. Excellent cocktails.Special Features:
- Nice to have such a qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/23/2011Nice to have such a quality place right in my neighborhood. The service was both attentive and charming, and the food was outstanding. My foodie friends were very happy.Special Features:
- The barbecue ribs were reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2011The barbecue ribs were really exceptional, better without the sauce, in my view. The jicama slaw was very good, and so were the empanadas and the chocolate cake with jalapeno. Nice to have the Negra Modelo on tap.Special Features:
- A very eclectic menu of SouthJaniceStewartDined on 12/22/2011A very eclectic menu of South American delictables. All with a sophisticated flair.Special Features:
- The best service my husbandOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/20/2011The best service my husband and I have experienced in a long time. The wait staff was friendly, prompt and went above and beyond. The food was amazing, but I would have come back just for the great service! I have already sent several people their way and can't wait to go back myself.Special Features:
- Food is YummyquicklunchDined on 12/20/2011This place just opened in our neighborhood. They have great food. For some reason, I have not gotten a good Pisco Sour there in 3 visits, which is a huge bummer given the theme of the restaurant. Other than that....we had a good dining experience for our friend's birthday.Special Features:
- Not your typical Mexican food,oaklandauthorVIPDined on 12/19/2011Not your typical Mexican food, an wine list stocked with unusual Latin American specialties, and friendly service made this a great evening out.Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/18/2011Nice atmosphere, but very llimited menu. Food & drink nothing special. Ingredients listed in menu items not accurate. Was not happy to order the refried black beans and discover they contained pork. Rellano way too spicey..Probably won't go back.
- Rumbo al Sur has a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/18/2011Rumbo al Sur has a wonderful atmosphere with several cozy dining areas and an eat-in bar. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food is served tapas-style so provides the opportunity to taste as many of the menu items as your appetite can bear. The food quality was inconsistent. Some of our selections from the menu were delicious (ribs, tamales) while others could be improved. Overall we had an enjoyable meal. Note: If you don't enjoy a pretty loud hum of conversation while you're eating, this is not a restaurant you'd enjoy.Special Features:
- Made a reservation and wasodjayDined on 12/11/2011Made a reservation and was seated at a table that had the music speaker right above it. I went to the hostess and asked that either I be moved or the music needed to be turned down. Initially they turned the music down, but it creeped back up before the dinner was over. I was mostly unimpressed with the food, it seems uneven at best. It is too bad as this is a very nice restaurant space in my neighborhood. I might give it another try, but I am not in a hurry.
- Long wait for opening, butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/10/2011Long wait for opening, but it deliverd! Great service, food was very good, great waitress, who was helpful with the menu, and the atmosphere was great, even in the bar! The music was a bit loud, but we could hear one another. (4) Thinking of doing my Mom"s 94th birthday there!Special Features:
- After looking forward to itsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/10/2011After looking forward to its opening for months, Rumbo al Sur did not disappoint! Food was delicious, service was terrific and the ambience was inviting and comfortable. There were too many items we enjoyed on our first visit to recommend any one or two dishes, but we will surely be back!Special Features:
- I really wanted to like thisOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/9/2011I really wanted to like this place. The decor and the vibe are both great. The service is friendly, although a little slow - it took a long time to get our drinks. As for the food- the only dish we really liked was the meatballs with egg in the middle, they were delicious! The ceviche and the chips and salsa were okay. The crispy chicken was weird- just chunks of chicken with not much flavor, nothing else. The short rib was not tender at all and didn't seem seasoned properly. Bottom line- I'd give it another try, but order totally different dishes.
- The cocktail list and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 12/7/2011The cocktail list and food menu are completely on par, in terms of execution, creative offering and appeal. Rumbo truly is a neighborhood gem and on par with some of my favorite restaurants in SF. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Express Family DatenancynocalVIPDined on 12/6/2011We made an OT reservation specifying that we had 2 kids with us and needed to be in and out in under an hour to attend a school function. The restaurant staff was totally prepared for us and enabled us to have a really nice dinner with 10 minutes to spare. We already loved A Cote and now love the sister restaurant as well.Special Features:
- We welcome this lovely additionOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/4/2011We welcome this lovely addition to the Glenview neighborhood! We had a few hiccups with service on this and subsequent visits, but I'm willing to chalk that up to still getting in their groove since they just opened. The quality and creativity of the food (and cocktails!) will keep us going back for more.Special Features:
- The room was much too darkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/29/2011The room was much too dark (felt like dining in a cave); the tables were too close together. I'm not a fan of "small plate" dining, although my tablemates don't mind that.
- I booked this wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2011I booked this wonderful place after it had rave reviews from my daughter who was there the night before. It was to celebrate my date 's birthday and we were to go to A Cote but we switched at the last moment - what a treat. Decided to sit at the bar even though we had a table because it was such a scene. A great way to celebrate his birthday. The chimichangas (not sure if that's how it is spelled were to die for and of course the guacamole - always a must - with its fresh crisp tortillas was as good as a "guac" can get. We had a dessert that is hard to describe - fried balls of yummy hot dark chocolate served with wonderful icecream. And Betty the bartender was spectacular!!!!!! We will surely be back and soon.Special Features: