Rumbo Al Sur
4239 Park Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94602Neighborhood:
Regional MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rumbo Al Sur
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rumboalsurrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5104791208
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tues, Wed, Thurs: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm, Sunday 4:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Regional Mexican, South American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Colgan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Rumbo al Sur has a number of small, private rooms and alcoves perfect for celebrations. Please contact Jeff Berlin for inquiries
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Berlin 5104791208
A word from Rumbo Al Sur
Rumbo al Sur celebrates the flavors of Mexico and Latin America using fresh, seasonal ingredients. In addition to variety of large and small plates, Rumbo al Sur offers hand crafted cocktails using fresh juices, house made syrups and a variety of unique tequilas, piscos and cachacas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Rumbo Al Sur - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Rumbo Al Sur reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (28)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (19)special occasion (14)romantic (11)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (7)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- neighborhood gemTheoswifePVIPDined on 8/26/2014love rumbo, can't even guess how many times we've dined there. perfect for the neighborhood. long live taco tuesdays!!Special Features:
- Delicious and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014We celebrated my nephew's birthday here with (too many!) wonderful dishes. Guacamole was yummy, albeit a modest portion; shrimp and scallop enchiladas, chile rellenos, brisket empanadas, and chicken tacos were all great. Service this time was superb, which hasn't always been the case. There is a large room that has the bar, which is always lively and noisy, and one or two other rooms that are smaller and have beautiful decor--I love the look and feel of the small rooms, each of which has a row of tables that are along the windows looking out at Park Blvd. It can get quite loud when they're busy, but we've always been able to hear each other. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Highs and lowsPaigeVIPDined on 8/20/2014Rumbo al Sur keeps going up and down on my list, due to totally inconsistent service. It took 15 minutes to get water and a waiter to take our drink orders. Another 10-15 for the drinks. Then back on to regular time, though our three dishes were pretty spread out. The wine knowledge by our waiter and the front of the house staff was exceptional, and really helped my friend make a great selection. The food was very good and flavorful, especially the tacos dorados.So, as noted in the headline, highs and lows. Will I go back? Probably, but not when I'm really starving or need to be anywhere in 2 hours or less.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationDenephewVIPDined on 8/12/2014Thank you Rumbo Al Sur for a fabulous birthday dinner party. Our party of seven were delighted with the food, drinks, and especially noted, our server, Paul, was exceptional. Most of my guests had not experienced your delicious menu offerings .... we had the incredible nachos and fried green tomatoes, moved on to empenadas and mango spinach salad, followed by the incredible mussels dish and coconut rice and ending with the flan and chocolate ice cream extraveganza! We had numerous caipirinha made to order from the busy bar. Everyone said they planned toreturn with their families and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venueW178976Dined on 8/9/2014The food was fantastic and the service was even better. His recommendations were perfect. Will definitely visit here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trip to South AmericaAndyDined on 8/1/2014Rumbo Al Sur serves great Central/South American food. I always loved its older brother, A Cote, and now I have a new love. The flavors are vibrant, thanks to the judicious use of a variety of chiles. My wife said she will order the tuna every time we come, and the steak huarache was superb. My only regret is that we only have enough room for about three dishes - I would really like to try more. I'm looking forward to Taco Tuesdays.Special Features:
- Great fooddmmerrillDined on 7/25/2014The food and menu just keeps getting better. Designed for sharing, the portions are the right size and the quality is great. This is becoming my favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Tasty Taco Tuesday.YtheraVIPDined on 7/8/2014Was lucky to have come out here on a taco Tuesday. The Tacos were delicious, service and ambiance great, but I'll be settling for wine if I visit this restaurant again. The standard of their cocktails does not justify their pricing - can do better..... Makes me miss Marzano that was recently closed across the street.Special Features:
- Taco Tuesday was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2014We loved dining on Taco Tuesday. Everything we ordered was delicious - food, wine, dessert.Special Features:
- Big improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2014I'm a gourmet Mexican food fanatic. My wife and I went to Rumbo Al Sur shortly after they opened and were so disappointed we did not come back until now. I made reservations for a Saturday at 6:30 hoping the crowd would be smaller and the service better. Unlike last time when we had reservations and waited 20 minutes to be seated, this time we were seated immediately at our reservation time. My wife had the ribs and they were fall off the bone delicious. I had the crispy tacos which were not crispy, but I don't like 'em crispy anyway. We shared the spinach mango salad and it tasty and fine for two. Their guacamole and chips were ordinary and the salsa was bland as out of a can. I asked and received hot sauce which was habanero and hot.Special Features:
- Fun with big group, Not for datebobo1234Dined on 6/3/2014Decent food and drinks. Not so great service (we keep trying hoping better, and then reminded of disappointment).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014Love taco Tuesdays!Love taco Tuesday and the rare tequila too!!! This place is Always good! Service can be slow, or really fast depending, but everyone who works there is really nice. I have tried a lot of the entrees and am always impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daughter's birthdayOsohoopDined on 6/1/2014Really loved this place. Had a group if ten for my daughter's 35tg birthday. They were informative, helpful, not pushy or intrusive. Great service. Cute warm place. Food wonderful. Very great place. We'll be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for tapasBenjaminDined on 5/20/2014Rumbo al Sur is a fantastic restaurant, serving up a fine selection of tapas, and tacos on Taco Tuesday. It's good for dates and going out with friends.Special Features:
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014The Restaurant itself is beautiful inside. The crowd was very diverse and energetic. The service was great, food was delish. The portions were perfect for me, as I don't like huge plates of food that are impossible to finish. My husband on the other hand...He is all about quantity, especially for the price of the entrees. If you're looking for large portions, not the place to go. But if you're looking for quality Latin food, you'll be pleased with Rumbo Al Sur.Special Features:
- Excellent Mother's Day and BirthdayTanithDined on 5/11/2014We were seated right on time. Staff were responsive without an annoying level of hovering. I think the food style was surprising. It was good, but unexpected. One of our party had Spring Vegetable Chiles Rellenos which were tasty, but nothing like a typical Chile Relleno. I had Mussels Moqueca. I was expecting more of a Latin influence but it would have been at home at any Thai restaurant. I enjoyed it. The food presentation was classier than is typical at the relatively modest menu prices. I'm sure we will be back.Special Features:
- very goodgdizzleDined on 5/11/2014We went here for dinner on Mother's Day. The food was very good and service was excellent. The decor is starting to show some wear.Special Features:
- Rocking Taco TuesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/6/2014Had a great time @ Taco Tueaday with some friends that came over from SF. Everything was great - food, service, cocktails. Love Rumbo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like this placeSeanValDined on 5/2/2014Have been here a few times, didn't really like the menu this last time I went but its still good.Special Features:
- The following 287 reviews are from the Rumbo Al Sur reviews archive.
- dinnerdineDined on 4/27/2014The food was very good but the noise level was horrible. We had to almost yell at each other to have a conversation. Our waiter was sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealWindyCityGalDined on 4/25/2014A visit to Oakland is never complete without a mwal at Rumba! Great food, drinks and service as always.Special Features:
- Excellent rotating menuStuffedVIPDined on 4/18/2014The best thing about having this be our go-to neighborhood restaurant is that the ingredients rotate and we can order our favorite dishes again and again without getting tired of them. There is always a ceviche dish, but the main protein is fish one month, shrimp the next, and the flavors change in step. We love the simple menu that offers so much variety, and at a great price.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2014The place was ok way over price for what we get as far as food goes! Tortilla with cheese for 12 over kill! Need to bring the price down for the Latin people. For being a Latin rest I saw none there NONE at all. Weeeek! 100 bucks spent for what you can get at a taqueria at 20 bucks and food just as good if not even better. ESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Salted FoodloveOaklandVIPDined on 4/12/2014The food is too, too salty. Why? It would be acceptable tapas otherwise. I really couldn't eat my share. Also, the music was very loud which meant the diners had to talk over it and made it a way too noisy place. This loud music seems to be a new addition.
- Love this placeOaklanddaveDined on 4/11/2014Excellent food, great drinks and rockin vibe. What more can you ask for? These guys know what they are doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIG DISAPPOINTMENTOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014Too noisy. Everyone at every table was shouting just to talk to each other. The restaurant's hard surfaces magnify sounds. Impossible to carry on a reasonable conversation. Open Table's review options for indicating noise level should have a category of "unacceptable", which is what this was. Food was acceptable, but somewhat ordinary, and there were some missteps on the chef's part. My companion's spinach came so salty it was uneatable. Will not return.
- A great time for our book clubReneeSVIPDined on 4/9/2014My book club chose the restaurant because we had recently read a book with a Central American/Mexican theme. There were 6 of us and we were placed at a large table in an area set aside from the rest of the restaurant. There were a few other diners in our area, but we were able to discuss the book and enjoy the food and margaritas without any inconvenience. The group loved the small plate menu and we had fun tasting and sharing all of our different choices from the menu, including the chocolate sundae dessert. We ordered two of most dishes and everyone left full and satisfied. I believe most will be back with their families. We had a great time!Special Features:
- Rumbo Al Sur is a winnerAntsmuzicDined on 3/22/2014To be very brief, everything we had -- lamb tacos, shrimp tostadas, calamari, mushroom quesadillas -- was great. I actually almost ordered the tacos again but the waiter urged me to try something else because "all of our food is good", he said. He was right. Now the portions were rather small and everything seems to be al acarte. This means you have to order a few things to make a meal. Well no big deal, I will defenitley be going again. For my wife and I it was $100 which included two appetizers and two entree's in addition to two cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/20/2014Rumbo Al Sur is one of our favorites. When in the City of Oakland, this is the perfect spot to stop, for Tapas. We love to hit it up, before a ball game. The little plates offer a great unique tasking. The menu always has a great variety. This place is worth a shot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks! We particularlysomanyplacessolittletimeDined on 3/15/2014Good drinks! We particularly liked the Arugula Salad, the Mussels and the Baby-Back Ribs. This was our second visit and it has become our favorite Mexican restaurant.Special Features:
- Casual Cousin of A Cote does RightEatOaklandDined on 3/14/2014Although more laid back in their service approach, we preferred Rumbo to the last few times we've been to A Cote. Mahi Mahi ceviche was fresh and bright. Beer Battered Ling Cod Tostadas were served hot, perfectly cooked and well seasoned. The happy hour nachos hit it with their in house made chips (I would go back JUST for those). The drinks came slowly to our table but our server was friendly and so we rolled with the casual, slower pace. Indoor and outdoor seating adds to the summery feel of the cuisine. Will return with friends for sure.Special Features:
- Sabrosa!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014the birria tacos were delicious! and they know how to make a margarita - fuerte!Special Features:
- Can't wait to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/7/2014Margaritas were perfect, loved the lamb tacos and enchiladas - we ordered several items off the menu and it was all great. Service was attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- Flavorful and funusuallypleasedDined on 3/6/2014The dishes (and we tried a great variety) were each distinctive and delicious. Took two cherished foodie friends, and we all enjoyed every bite and every moment. From the house margaritas to the desserts, an upbeat and tasty treat all around. You'll no doubt love it your time there too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potential Not RealizedGoodknightDined on 2/16/2014We really wanted to love this place. The location and remodel are great. There is a full bar with some very good, interesting choices, which brings their rating up. There is a romantic, adult ambiance here, which the insensitive,neglectful parents with fussy, disruptive kids absolutely RUIN! Some food is great, some not so much (uneven). The service was incompetent to the point where we were feeling sorry for the server due to all the blunders. It made us all very uncomfortable, and to top it all off, they ran out of coffee! They should either turn this into a 'family style' mac & cheese type place or make it adults only. The mix of clientele makes everybody unhappy. The uneven results across the board prevent us from wanting to return.
- Amazing foodSudhirDined on 2/9/2014I went with my family for dinner on our way back from the Chabot observatory. This was a fantastic find. The food was just amazing and it felt like we were in ratatouille movie. The chef's have a unique talent in blending different tastes together to create unique dishes. Highly highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Yummy Latin foodJennDined on 2/4/2014Rumbo was a nice surprise on Park Blvd. The food was awesome, Taco Tuesday better than your average taco night fare. Lamb tacos were tender and layered with flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Group Birthday DinnerTrishaDined on 2/1/2014From the bartender, the manager Jeff, and our server Erica, to the rest of the staff, our party of 11 were treated like VIPs. As always, the food never disappoints and Erica just kept it coming, along with wine and cocktails. I think we had pretty much everything on the menu! I love my neighborhood even more with Rumbo Al Sur in it. Thanks for making my birthday dinner party a rousing success. Can't wait for my next visit!Special Features:
- Great date night!AnanniversarymustDined on 1/26/2014My husband and I love ordering several items and sharing! They cook fresh, in season, local foods in a spicy/ sexy way! The menu offers a good variety of gluten free items and they will prepare food the way you prefer, so bringing well behaved foodie kids would be fine & fun! Love, love this place! (I don't think I'd go here with people I don't know well, because sharing is a must in my mind.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite!SusanDined on 1/11/2014We love Rumbo al Sur. (should I be telling everyone, will it get to crowded for us to find a seat--nevertheless, I can't resist!) Just a few mentions: The Mussels Moqueca is incredible. The sauce is so good that they could bring me a spoon and a loaf of French bread and I would be happy with just that. The Chiles en Nogada is a wonderful combination of creamy and spicy and presented beautifully with pomegranate seeds on top. Menu items change frequently--I've never had anything I didn't enjoy. On top of all that, the service is excellent! Rumbo al Sur has Happy Hours: Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sun Until 6:30pm: $5 Margaritas, $5 Sangria, $5 Caipirinhas, Spiced Nuts $4, Chicharrón de Pollo $8, Tinga Nachos $8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.