Rumbo Al Sur
4239 Park Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94602Neighborhood:
Regional MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rumbo Al Sur
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rumboalsurrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5104791208
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tues, Wed, Thurs: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm, Sunday 4:30 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Regional Mexican, South American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Colgan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Private Party Facilities: Rumbo al Sur has a number of small, private rooms and alcoves perfect for celebrations. Please contact Jeff Berlin for inquiries
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Berlin 5104791208
A word from Rumbo Al Sur
Rumbo al Sur celebrates the flavors of Mexico and Latin America using fresh, seasonal ingredients. In addition to variety of large and small plates, Rumbo al Sur offers hand crafted cocktails using fresh juices, house made syrups and a variety of unique tequilas, piscos and cachacas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Rumbo Al Sur - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Rumbo Al Sur reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (29)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (18)special occasion (18)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (8)romantic (8)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Spicy!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014Food was too spicy for my palate, although my fellow diners seemed to loved it. We ordered almost everything on the menu because they were small plates and there were 6 of us. Unfortunately, the spicy food problem governs my review.Special Features:
- Lovely waitress, slooooowww serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014We were there with two kids for almost two hours. Took almost 15 minutes to get a drink from the bar. Great food came out pretty quickly, but bill took forever to be issued/processed. I guess they didn't need our table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MomofIrishtripletsDined on 10/16/2014I go there often with friends and family. This place is great and the staff always attends to us as if we are special which I like. Never a disappointing moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating a 50th B-Day!gailscoutDined on 10/9/2014Our group of 4 enjoyed the wonderful combination of appetizers as well as main dishes as suggested by our server. We shared all the dishes including the 2 mains - the skirt steak and ribs with the delicious spicy salsa after sharing 8 tacos. The wine & cocktails really enhance the delightful tastes.Special Features:
- Good food. Service/ambience poor.JudyVIPDined on 10/9/2014Very good and interesting food and drinks. However, unappealing physical space, loud music, poor acoustics. Worse was the service. It took 15-20 minutes to get warm water, then another 10 minutes for our drink order to arrive. The server seemed busy, but also was inattentive. I told him that we wanted to order, but he still was slow and unapologetic. He also gave us the incorrect bill at the end, and did not seem very surprised by the error. Despite the food, I cannot recommend this restaurant to friends.
- Fantastic Food!PCIVELLODined on 10/1/2014I loved this place, especially the mole chicken dish and the lingcod tacos. Great ambiance, attentive service, tasty cocktails.Special Features:
- GlenviewreviewDined on 9/30/2014The food is always delicious, the menu creative and interesting, and the service is expert and friendly. I recommend the mussels with coconut rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014We have been there several times. It is always a pleasure. They are always my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!seafoodVIPDined on 9/26/2014We just moved to oakland from Boston and we have been to this restaurant 3 times. We love it. I especially love the coconut rice and the mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, etc. etc.glenviewfoodieDined on 9/19/2014The food was wonderful and always has been. Took 2 out-of-town folks who were very impressed with menu. Especially loved the steak tacos and ribs. Service from the bar was slow and we happened to be there on a night when everyone seemed to be celebrating raucously. Oh well, won't stop us from returning again and again. Look forward to trying other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- somanyplacessolittletimeDined on 9/6/2014The food and service were great as usual. The noise level was almost unbearable. Had to shout at each other which, of course, didn't help the noise level. We won"t stop going back but, maybe not on a Saturday night!Special Features:
- peterDined on 9/4/2014This was my 4th time here. 7 pm reservation for 4. They seated us in the bar…dark and noisy.... The couple next to us who were seated after us was eating before we even ordered……waited 1/2 hour for ice , took 2 hours to order , eat and pay. They brought back me somebody elses credit card and it took them 15 min to straighten that out. Food is decent and not too pricey but the menu is not too clear about categories and sides . Confusing place , good food , lousy service .Special Features:
- Fun and Yummie!oakiedokieDined on 9/2/2014A great "go-to" for in-town guests and just getting out and about with friends/family. Delish and creative food. A little pricey but it's worth it. Very attentive staff. A little noisy but it's fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemTheoswifePVIPDined on 8/26/2014love rumbo, can't even guess how many times we've dined there. perfect for the neighborhood. long live taco tuesdays!!Special Features:
- Delicious and great serviceJoanHDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated my nephew's birthday here with (too many!) wonderful dishes. Guacamole was yummy, albeit a modest portion; shrimp and scallop enchiladas, chile rellenos, brisket empanadas, and chicken tacos were all great. Service this time was superb, which hasn't always been the case. There is a large room that has the bar, which is always lively and noisy, and one or two other rooms that are smaller and have beautiful decor--I love the look and feel of the small rooms, each of which has a row of tables that are along the windows looking out at Park Blvd. It can get quite loud when they're busy, but we've always been able to hear each other. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Highs and lowsPaigeVIPDined on 8/20/2014Rumbo al Sur keeps going up and down on my list, due to totally inconsistent service. It took 15 minutes to get water and a waiter to take our drink orders. Another 10-15 for the drinks. Then back on to regular time, though our three dishes were pretty spread out. The wine knowledge by our waiter and the front of the house staff was exceptional, and really helped my friend make a great selection. The food was very good and flavorful, especially the tacos dorados.So, as noted in the headline, highs and lows. Will I go back? Probably, but not when I'm really starving or need to be anywhere in 2 hours or less.Special Features:
- Love it!ShannonDined on 8/16/2014The menu here is fantastic. Great flavors, great staff, easy parking. Rumbo has it all. Very tasty cocktails are part of the experience not to be missed.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationDenephewVIPDined on 8/12/2014Thank you Rumbo Al Sur for a fabulous birthday dinner party. Our party of seven were delighted with the food, drinks, and especially noted, our server, Paul, was exceptional. Most of my guests had not experienced your delicious menu offerings .... we had the incredible nachos and fried green tomatoes, moved on to empenadas and mango spinach salad, followed by the incredible mussels dish and coconut rice and ending with the flan and chocolate ice cream extraveganza! We had numerous caipirinha made to order from the busy bar. Everyone said they planned toreturn with their families and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venueW178976Dined on 8/9/2014The food was fantastic and the service was even better. His recommendations were perfect. Will definitely visit here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trip to South AmericaAndyDined on 8/1/2014Rumbo Al Sur serves great Central/South American food. I always loved its older brother, A Cote, and now I have a new love. The flavors are vibrant, thanks to the judicious use of a variety of chiles. My wife said she will order the tuna every time we come, and the steak huarache was superb. My only regret is that we only have enough room for about three dishes - I would really like to try more. I'm looking forward to Taco Tuesdays.Special Features:
- Great fooddmmerrillDined on 7/25/2014The food and menu just keeps getting better. Designed for sharing, the portions are the right size and the quality is great. This is becoming my favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Tasty Taco Tuesday.YtheraVIPDined on 7/8/2014Was lucky to have come out here on a taco Tuesday. The Tacos were delicious, service and ambiance great, but I'll be settling for wine if I visit this restaurant again. The standard of their cocktails does not justify their pricing - can do better..... Makes me miss Marzano that was recently closed across the street.Special Features:
- Taco Tuesday was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2014We loved dining on Taco Tuesday. Everything we ordered was delicious - food, wine, dessert.Special Features:
- The following 297 reviews are from the Rumbo Al Sur reviews archive.
- Big improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2014I'm a gourmet Mexican food fanatic. My wife and I went to Rumbo Al Sur shortly after they opened and were so disappointed we did not come back until now. I made reservations for a Saturday at 6:30 hoping the crowd would be smaller and the service better. Unlike last time when we had reservations and waited 20 minutes to be seated, this time we were seated immediately at our reservation time. My wife had the ribs and they were fall off the bone delicious. I had the crispy tacos which were not crispy, but I don't like 'em crispy anyway. We shared the spinach mango salad and it tasty and fine for two. Their guacamole and chips were ordinary and the salsa was bland as out of a can. I asked and received hot sauce which was habanero and hot.Special Features:
- Fun with big group, Not for datebobo1234Dined on 6/3/2014Decent food and drinks. Not so great service (we keep trying hoping better, and then reminded of disappointment).
- NopeDined on 6/3/2014Love taco Tuesdays!Love taco Tuesday and the rare tequila too!!! This place is Always good! Service can be slow, or really fast depending, but everyone who works there is really nice. I have tried a lot of the entrees and am always impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daughter's birthdayOsohoopDined on 6/1/2014Really loved this place. Had a group if ten for my daughter's 35tg birthday. They were informative, helpful, not pushy or intrusive. Great service. Cute warm place. Food wonderful. Very great place. We'll be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for tapasBenjaminDined on 5/20/2014Rumbo al Sur is a fantastic restaurant, serving up a fine selection of tapas, and tacos on Taco Tuesday. It's good for dates and going out with friends.Special Features:
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014The Restaurant itself is beautiful inside. The crowd was very diverse and energetic. The service was great, food was delish. The portions were perfect for me, as I don't like huge plates of food that are impossible to finish. My husband on the other hand...He is all about quantity, especially for the price of the entrees. If you're looking for large portions, not the place to go. But if you're looking for quality Latin food, you'll be pleased with Rumbo Al Sur.Special Features:
- Excellent Mother's Day and BirthdayTanithDined on 5/11/2014We were seated right on time. Staff were responsive without an annoying level of hovering. I think the food style was surprising. It was good, but unexpected. One of our party had Spring Vegetable Chiles Rellenos which were tasty, but nothing like a typical Chile Relleno. I had Mussels Moqueca. I was expecting more of a Latin influence but it would have been at home at any Thai restaurant. I enjoyed it. The food presentation was classier than is typical at the relatively modest menu prices. I'm sure we will be back.Special Features:
- very goodgdizzleDined on 5/11/2014We went here for dinner on Mother's Day. The food was very good and service was excellent. The decor is starting to show some wear.Special Features:
- Rocking Taco TuesdayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/6/2014Had a great time @ Taco Tueaday with some friends that came over from SF. Everything was great - food, service, cocktails. Love Rumbo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I like this placeSeanValDined on 5/2/2014Have been here a few times, didn't really like the menu this last time I went but its still good.Special Features:
- dinnerdineDined on 4/27/2014The food was very good but the noise level was horrible. We had to almost yell at each other to have a conversation. Our waiter was sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealWindyCityGalDined on 4/25/2014A visit to Oakland is never complete without a mwal at Rumba! Great food, drinks and service as always.Special Features:
- Excellent rotating menuStuffedVIPDined on 4/18/2014The best thing about having this be our go-to neighborhood restaurant is that the ingredients rotate and we can order our favorite dishes again and again without getting tired of them. There is always a ceviche dish, but the main protein is fish one month, shrimp the next, and the flavors change in step. We love the simple menu that offers so much variety, and at a great price.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2014The place was ok way over price for what we get as far as food goes! Tortilla with cheese for 12 over kill! Need to bring the price down for the Latin people. For being a Latin rest I saw none there NONE at all. Weeeek! 100 bucks spent for what you can get at a taqueria at 20 bucks and food just as good if not even better. ESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over Salted FoodloveOaklandVIPDined on 4/12/2014The food is too, too salty. Why? It would be acceptable tapas otherwise. I really couldn't eat my share. Also, the music was very loud which meant the diners had to talk over it and made it a way too noisy place. This loud music seems to be a new addition.
- Love this placeOaklanddaveDined on 4/11/2014Excellent food, great drinks and rockin vibe. What more can you ask for? These guys know what they are doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIG DISAPPOINTMENTOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014Too noisy. Everyone at every table was shouting just to talk to each other. The restaurant's hard surfaces magnify sounds. Impossible to carry on a reasonable conversation. Open Table's review options for indicating noise level should have a category of "unacceptable", which is what this was. Food was acceptable, but somewhat ordinary, and there were some missteps on the chef's part. My companion's spinach came so salty it was uneatable. Will not return.