290 Montauk Highway
East Hampton, NY 11937Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rugosarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6316041550
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday through Sunday 5:30 - 10.00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Mammes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rugosa
At Rugosa, guests will find modern American cuisine in a relaxed, yet refined atmosphere. Chef and owner, Bill Mammes, has a broad background in European flavors & classic French technique; each component of his dishes receives the utmost care. The results are pure, nuanced flavors simply & elegantly presented. Guests of Rugosa may choose from the a la carte menu or a three course Prix Fixe menu offered 5:30 to 7:00 Friday and Saturday, all night Sunday through Thursday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rugosa reviews from OpenTable diners
- One of my favorite restaurants.taluppauDined on 10/21/2011One of my favorite restaurants. Beautiful and delicious appetizers, entrees and desserts. I don't know why you are not giving dining points. But the sad, sad, thing is that Rugosa is closing.Special Features:
- Hard to describe....wouldn,tdontVIPDined on 10/15/2011Hard to describe....wouldn,t go back......waited forever for dinner....rude maitr,d.....small portions....bad wines by th glass......good food....has potential....to bad it can,t quite make it......
- Everyone makes you feel veryInsideOutDined on 10/15/2011Everyone makes you feel very comfortable from the moment you walk in. The room has a wonderful ambiance with local art on display. The service is perfect.The appetizer I always get is the duck confit. It is delicious. For the main course this time, I tried the penne pasta with shrimp and monkfish in a lobster reduction sauce. It was so good! I would definitely have that again if it is still on the menu.Special Features:
- We loved the food, the serviceValentine14VIPDined on 10/7/2011We loved the food, the service was exceptional, Highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Rugosa is my families favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2011Rugosa is my families favorite restaurant. We love Chef Bill and his lovely wife, who was very attentive and escorted us to the booth we love to sir at when we come. My 11 year old who is a Foodie is so happy when she us there and loves the duck appetizer. We all enjoyed our meal and the service was wonderful. Our favorite was dessert, we look forward to having the warm chocolate cake with carmel ice cream...delicious. A must try!Special Features:
- Delicious meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/24/2011One of the best meals I've had on the east end all summer ! Just went there and already can't wait to go back . The lobster ravioli was unbelievable !!! Fabulous service and overall just an amazing meal. And they are open year round!Special Features:
- This was our second meal withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2011This was our second meal with Rugosa. The daikon wrapped crab appetizer wakes up taste buds. The pan roasted chicken with country vegetables flat out had us head over heels in love. Still, to be fair, the vegetarian plate, the steak and salmon dishes are great in their own right. Cava and calvados and dessert (and we're usually not desserters)ended our short interlude. Scott Hewlett's artwork adds spectacular ambiance. We'll be back.Special Features:
- We were there at a busy time-OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2011We were there at a busy time- Saturday evening- reservation at 7:30- didn't get served our main course until after 9. I'm sure the service would be better any other time.Special Features:
- We hadn't been at Rugosa sinceEastHamptonFoodieDined on 9/17/2011We hadn't been at Rugosa since last year. We won't wait so like to return there as the food was very good and the service was professional.
- Wonderful food -hungry for varietyGrandmaDVIPDined on 9/10/2011Each time we eat here we leave feeling that this place serves among the finest meals in the Hamptons. Only wish is that menu would be varied just a little more often. We would come more frequently then.Special Features:
- This is one of the very bestOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/10/2011This is one of the very best Hamptons restaurants, yet it is not on the in list. A shame. It's well-done, professional, reasonable and good.Special Features:
- This is the second time we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2011This is the second time we've been here, so we obviously liked it enough to come back. The food is very good. I've had both duck and salmon and enjoyed them immensely. However, the service, which was tolerable though slightly slow during our first visit, was snail-like during our second. Twenty minutes to get our order taken, twenty minutes waiting to be served our appetizers, another twenty to wait for the main course. We would have ordered dessert, but we ran out of patience. Not sure if it was the result of too few waitpersons or an understaffed kitchen, but we're not inclined to return to find out.Special Features:
- We've been several times andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2011We've been several times and the latest was the best yet. Food is good, service is snappy and (a true rarity in the Hamptons) tables are well spaced for privacy and quiet conversation. Never a problem parking, either!Special Features:
- Surprised it is not alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/3/2011Surprised it is not always booked on summer weekends. Food is complicated and greatSpecial Features:
- Rugosa is an honest,friendly,wellOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2011Rugosa is an honest,friendly,well priced restaurant that welcomes your business.Food is consistently very good.Flavors are not intense and a steak can occasionally be a bit tough but these are minor in the context of a very positive dining experience.
- Unfortunately, even thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/1/2011Unfortunately, even though the restaurant was fine and unpretentious, it closed . The location has always been a problem for restaurants in East Hampton. It is very large space and a destination which is a bit out of the way. Too bad because the food was quite nice.
- We enjoyed our meal very much.BroseDined on 8/20/2011We enjoyed our meal very much. Definitely worth going to when out in the Hamptons. Food is much better than the ambiance.Special Features:
- My companion and I thoroughlyTerribDined on 8/19/2011My companion and I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Rugosa. This was my first time there, and it was well worth it. The filet of beef was cooked exactly as requested, and outstanding in both taste and tenderness. I had the breast of duck, and that too, was cooked to perfection, being tender and flavorful. Both chocolate desserts were excellent, with the chocolate cake getting a slight edge over the chocolate tart. The drinks too were good, with the blueberry daiquiri a nice start to the meal. Our server was attentive without becoming intrusive. Some small items like no pepper or salt on the table, and having to request a sharp knife with which to cut the duck are the only things on which to improve the service.Special Features:
- Very good food. The seasonalOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2011Very good food. The seasonal cocktail menu was a hit! And so was the General Manager.Special Features:
- It was great food some ofOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2011It was great food some of the best in the HamptonsSpecial Features:
- Chef/owner does a great jobOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2011Chef/owner does a great job with sauces for various entries.Special Features:
- We were seated promptly andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/4/2011We were seated promptly and our server gave a detailed and knowledgeable description of the dishes. We were unsure of our wine selection and the manager was extremely helpful in guiding us and providing a taste. Our food and wine selections were delicious! The service was extremely attentive. Ask about the desert wine - it was amazing!
- Rugosa is a refreshing alternativeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/4/2011Rugosa is a refreshing alternative to other restaurants in the hamptons that seem to pride themselves on their rudeness to customers. Nothing like that at Rugose! Service was impeccable and the food was right there to match. A great place to escape the scene of the hamptons, but still have delicious food.Special Features:
- Definitely try Rugosa!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/2/2011If I could, I'd give Rugosa 4.5 stars. We - two couples - went to Rugosa recently on a Tuesday night. It was very quiet, which was actually a nice change from the Hampton's summer scene of over-crowded restaurants. As a vegetarian they were very accommodating and made me an off-menu item of penne with in-season vegetables that even the meat-lovers at my table loved. Everyone seemed to have really enjoyed their meal, especially their creative cocktails - try the Blueberry martini or the rhubarb daiquiri. As a dessert fanatic I found the warm chocolate cake to be a little dry. Rugosa's ambience is fresh and romantic. The service was very good. I would definitely go back again to Rugosa and recommend it to anyone in the Hamptons.Special Features:
- The food was well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/29/2011The food was well prepared and tasty. The host was gracious and kept checking on us frequently, more so than our waiter who was slightly slow with service. The crowd was generally older and not very hip for summer in the hamptons. Overall our experience was fine but not sure I would run back there. Of note they did have some larger tables and would easilly be Ble to accommodate a large group which is sometimes difficult to Fonda place here in the summer that can do that.Special Features:
- Currently one of the betterOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/27/2011Currently one of the better chefs on the east end. Prix fixe is not "dumbed-down" and is a better value than most.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable food all around.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2011Very enjoyable food all around. Manager was superb and certainly passionate about the food and wine, which made it that much more pleasurable.Special Features:
- Sorry to say disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/23/2011Sorry to say disappointing experience. There were 6 of us and the waiter brought out 5 meals and forgot our 6 th ??? In my case the potatoes were cool, I must say the food was uneven, too salty for my taste but other dishes were delicioius Overall, these were mistakes a mature restaurant shouldnt make.
- My spouse and I really lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/16/2011My spouse and I really loved our first experience with this restaurant. For years we had been put off by the military tank in the front parking lot. Once we tried, we were sold. The food is inventive and excellent.Special Features:
- very yummy food, time afterEatsout8lotDined on 7/16/2011very yummy food, time after time- with a chef who comes up with new things as a matter of course. and every flavor can be tasted, savored and enjoyed- very little gets lost- a very enjoyable dining experienceSpecial Features:
- The food is both simple andgandmalibVIPDined on 7/15/2011The food is both simple and interesting at the same time - an unusual occurence these days. The service was flawless.
- The food was outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2011The food was outstanding. The duck was prepared to perfection. Service was probably the best in the Hamptons. First rate . We give it a very high recommendation.Special Features:
- Love the duck and rhubarb cheesecakOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2011Disappointing start with the fresh greens salad with buttermilk dressing. The duck entree with bok choy was terrific and felt special -- special seasonings, beautiful presentation, terrific taste. The Norwegian salmon was poached very nicely, but the sauce was more like dried tomato soup. Highly recommend the rhubarb cheesecake to finish. We went to celebrate our anniversary and would try this place again.
- PORK CHOP!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/4/2011the pork chops were out of this world...one of the best entrees i have EVER had. the duck was also enjoyed at my table
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/3/2011The food was good, nothing special. The service was mediocre. The menu was very limited. I would have liked to see more local seafood on the menu. Overall, it was just ok. Also, no local wine selection on the wine list, which was disappointing.Special Features:
- Great, simple food. I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2011Great, simple food. I had the pork chop, which was excellent.
- Food is rather eclectic butSjpvacVIPDined on 7/2/2011Food is rather eclectic but tasty service was haphazard with the waiter never stopping by to ask about drink refills.
- Exellent! Creative and beautifullyChickenDined on 7/2/2011Exellent! Creative and beautifully prepared food with respect for the ingredients at the forefront.Special Features:
- A Real Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2011The food is always delicious and atmosphere extremely friendly. The wait staff is attentive and the maitre d' understanding. In particular we have enjoyed the blue crab salad,entrees of skirt steak, scallops, pork chop salmon accompanied by delicious vegetables & sauces,our favorite dessert is the fabulous lime meringuea light, heavenly confection. Whatever we have ordered has always been expertly prepared and is beautifully plated.Our eight month old granddaughter even enjoyed the ambiance. A real find!!!!Special Features:
- Some good, some not so gooduesiderDined on 7/1/2011Great place if you want a quite evening away from the chaos of the summer hamptons. The food was somewhat hit or miss. The duck was fabulous but the lobster ravioli was pathetic. More than one ravioli with one little bite of lobster is expected from the description. And the waiter gave me the wrong order. They tried to correct it by giving me more food which wasn't what I wanted as I was starving and ate half my entree by the time they tried to address it. Still they tried, andSpecial Features: