Rue Franklin Restaurant
341 Franklin St
Buffalo, NY 14202Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Rue Franklin Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://ruefranklin.com/
- Phone: 7168524416
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Corey Kley
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We do offer private dinning in our Garden Room for up to thirty guests and in our Main Dining Room up to sixty guests
- Private Party Contact: Corey Kley 7168524416
A word from Rue Franklin Restaurant
Buffalo"s only contemporary French restaurant. Conveniently located in the theater district. We offer a seasonal menu, prix fixe menu Tuesday thru Thursday and post theater menu Friday and Saturday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Rue Franklin Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Buffalo ›
Rue Franklin Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)romantic (33)fit for foodies (32)great for outdoor dining (30)notable wine list (21)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (4)scenic view (4)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- SpectacularMarkVIPDined on 8/23/2014Had the lobster caprese salad and the coho salmon. Both were amazing. Loved the miringue dessert!Special Features:
- A Queen City GemCharlieDined on 8/23/2014Rue Franklin Restaurant has been a "go to" spot in Buffalo for many years and it's easy to understand why. The food and atmosphere are top notch without being pretentious. The menu offers an enticing selection of French cuisine, the likes of which can't be found in any other local restaurant. From the chicken and dumplings to the crispy lamb belly... You just can't go wrong .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Rue Franklin never disappoints, it is our favorite restaurant in the entire Western New York area.Special Features:
- Superb experienceGayleDined on 8/12/2014There were 3 people in our party and each of us enjoyed every segment of our great meal.Special Features:
- Best Food EverJAAADined on 8/5/2014One of the best meals I ever had - outside of Paris itself. I was in Buffalo for business. The restaurant was recommended. If you are in Buffalo or live in Buffalo you MUST go to this excellent restaurant.Special Features:
- RueLeChatDined on 8/1/2014Excellent quality food. Probably the only true French restaurant in Buffalo. Portions are adequate, not large. Romantic ambiance; elegant. Service not great; our waiter barely looked at us to see if we needed anything (I had to ask twice for more bread-- they put one piece per plate and then walk away; same for the water). Patio dining in good weather is wonderful, with the garden... and now they have more comfortable chairs than they used to have. Very small bar, as you walk into the main foyer. Reasonable selection of wines, moderately priced.Special Features:
- Fabulous!julesterVIPDined on 7/19/2014Rue Franklin has the best outdoor patio - you are actually dining in a garden-like atmosphere. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate, however they opened up the doors in the back dining room so we somewhat felt like we were outside, and did enjoy the view. The dining experience is always fabulous and creative. My halibut tartare was fresh and delicious. The summer lobster salad was equally amazing. This restaurant is always a foodie treat - best French cuisine in Buffalo!Special Features:
- Great MealniagaraDined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed a lovely meal with friends at Rue Franklin. The service was excellent, the food was not just tasty but presented in a very artistic fashion. The view out to the garden courtyard was nice and next time we might try to book an outside table, weather permitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice for dinner.KarenDined on 7/9/2014The Rue Franklin continues to be our favorite Buffalo restaurant for fine dining. Everything about it is to be commended, from the delicious four different seasons of menus, to the excellent wait staff, to the beautiful gardens. You are given time to enjoy every course of your meal and are never rushed. We hope to enjoy many more years of dining pleasure here.Special Features:
- need to get over my French aversionBridgetDined on 7/5/2014I love food and appreciate all types of cuisine. Every time I've gone to a nice French restaurant though, I feel that the portions are insultingly small, the service and vibe is borderline snooty, the food is really salty and just not memorable .. this was no exception. Don't get me wrong - it was GOOD! I tried several small plates - a vegetable fromage blanc salad, scallops, halibut tartare, and we shared the summer lobster salad and dessert. We were the only ones in the dining room when we got there (6pm on Saturday), so the ambiance was either romantic or creepy, I couldn't decide. The outside patio area was filled though; that looked like the place to be. I'd recommend Rue Franklin but wouldn't feel the need to go back.Special Features:
- Great Buffalo Gem!PKC57Dined on 7/3/2014After all these years, Rue Franklin still delivers a tremendous dining experience! Truly one of Buffalo's great restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniverary DinnerRandyDined on 7/3/2014We drove to Buffalo specifically to dine at Rue Franklin for our 25th Anniversary. We lived in the area twenty years ago and experienced several romantic dinners there. The authentic French cuisine coupled with a terrific wine list, ambience and great service made our night memorable. We would strongly recommend to any couple who wants a romantic dinner experience.Special Features:
- Love the patioTedandshelDined on 7/2/2014Wonderful place for a summer dinner on their patio in the back. Out server was new and a little slow, but friendly. Portions are tiny, but delicious. We left full, but not overstuffed, which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the menup1w8bDined on 7/2/2014The menu didn't seem to be as creative as most seasonal menus have been over the past 38 years. To give some slack, this is a transitional month with fresh produce not quite available in any quantity. However, to an amateur eye, seeing "chicken and dumplings" without knowing any thing about the preparation, sounds like "soul food" which is not a characteristic of the Rue. Our duck and sole were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rue FranklinPeteDined on 6/27/2014This was a great restaurant. It was intimate and quiet with both indoor and garden dining. Exceptional food and attentive friendly service, We went for our 44th Anniversary and loved it. Were we to go back to Buffalo, we would definitely return for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated our engagementBuffaloFoodLoverDined on 6/26/2014This was a fantastic meal to celebrate a special occasion. We had the shrimp and avocado to start, I had the filet and my fiance had the lobster salad. We ended our meal with a cheese plate. It wasn't as expensive as we thought it was going to be and the food was incredible. If you go during the summer months try sitting in their back patio. It is next to a beautiful garden and fountain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lacking but our dinners were greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/25/2014We did the Price Fixe Menu and was able to order a salad in lieu of gazpacho or liver as a starter. Don't know why they offer a choice of soup as a starter along with a dinner in a broth as an entrée. Serve was lacking, granted they were hosting a small party in the garden area, but still. Overall, took 3 hours, which seemed a bit long.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/20/2014If you ever find yourself in Buffalo this is the spot for an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the bestFrogLadyDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I both chose the "tasting menu", and he also chose the accompanying wine pairings. I just took some sips of each of the 4 wines that came with the 4 courses. Usually, I think of a tasting menu as being comprised of about 6 very small courses, but this one had 4 courses plus an amuse bouche, with a regular-size entree. All were splendid, from the mushroom and quinoa appetizer through the lamb chops to the strawberry napoleon (more like a strawberry shortcake actually). The wine pairings were all interesting and apt, especially for the dessert, which might have been too sweet on its own but was just right with the paired champagne. The setting was lovely and serene. The bread is still fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin dining in Buffalosweet1Dined on 6/11/2014This elegant space is like stepping into a French Paris bistro the moment you walk in the door. Sit at the bar to enjoy a pre dinner drink and then be ready to have a magical dining experience. Just to let you know our three course dinner for four was perfect. The menu is most creative and we were told it changes seasonally. Our plates were taken away without a speck of food left. If you are lucky enough to get a table on the patio you will be surrounded by the most spectacular setting. Five thumbs up to the chef and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time thereLaurieVIPDined on 6/10/2014This was my second time dining here and the experience was lovely. It was great to see there was an outside dining option for a nice summer evening. The food was fantastic and the service great.Special Features:
- foodiegirlVIPDined on 6/10/2014The dining experience at the Rue is outstanding. The food is prepared perfectly and the chef uses top-quality, fresh ingredients. We especially enjoy the fish dishes. This is the best restaurant in Buffalo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014As always terrific. Smoked tuna appetizer was especially satisfying. New Owner has brought new inspiration to best Buffalo restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014The only thing I would change was that the meal was a little too buttery for me.Special Features:
- a Buffalo classicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014We have been going to Rue for almost 20 years. It has the best patio (grotto) in town, a little private oasis in summer to eat out and run into friends. The food and the service have always been great. We miss seeing the old owners Dee Dee and Joel chatting up with the customers tough. We are glad that the restaurant is still keeping up with the long established name and quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatCecilDined on 5/31/2014We enjoyed the price fixe dinner, totally awesome. The food was prepared perfectly, was creative and the taste was wonderful. When we are in Buffalo, we enjoy eating at Rue Franklin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est MagnifiqueFrenchieDined on 5/30/2014A perfect evening to dine in the outdoor garden. Jess, our server, was knowledgeable about the menu and wine offerings. She made great suggestions and our meal was fantastic. A perfect Buffalo summer evening.Special Features:
- Good but not greatGoodLivingDined on 5/17/2014The meal was good but a bit expensive all around. The menu selection was just okay. Service was good.Special Features:
- ExceptionalRJEckertDined on 5/10/2014A truly exceptional meal. Never disappointed with the creativity and quality of the mealSpecial Features:
- The following 48 reviews are from the Rue Franklin Restaurant reviews archive.
- RossRJEckertDined on 4/29/2014Simply, the best restaurant in Buffalo. This is the restaurant against I measure all others I dine at around the world. The Rue is one of the very best!Special Features:
- Quite the GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014We had dinner on a Saturday night and we could not have been more pleased. We found the restaurant on Open Table and the reviews brought us here. The menu, food, service and ambiance could not have been better. We were never rushed and completely enjoyed our experience. Rue Franklin certainly can be used for a special occasion but even better it can be used as a great dining experience any time of year. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Venerable StandbyBookbinderDined on 4/5/2014We had not been to the Rue Franklin for a while, so decided to take advantage of Restaurant Week to visit again. The special tasting menu was excellent, four courses with wine paring, showing off creativity, presentation, and preparation. The crispy lamb belly was a nice surprise, and the seafood 'stew' was a perfect blend of shellfish. The tarte tatin was deconstructed, a slightly tired gimmick these days, but certainly tasted fine. I always remember the service at Rue Franklin to be exceptional, and it was again. All in all a very nice dinner. And once again, in my early 60s, I'm one of the younger diners; I hope a younger crowd discovers this excellent and (now apparently) innovative restaurant. It deserves to continue its long run.Special Features:
- First Visit During Restaurant WeekcgoodwinDined on 4/3/2014Entire experience was excellent. We were a group of four. The waiter was very nice and went out of his way to make out experience enjoyable. He took the time to write down the name of a liquor that one of my guests liked (it had been added to her wine to make it sweet). We were not rushed out of the place, which I liked! The food tasted good, prices were reasonable since it was restaurant week. The inside of the restaurant is lovely. It is well taken care of, it truly is a hidden gem. We could enjoy our conversation, it was quiet inside. We were not sitting on top of other guests. It was nice to park in your own lot and not have to pay for parking or walk far. The staff in the front helped put mine and my guests coats on at the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageOnceDined on 3/26/2014Expected the prefix menu to have a little more on it. Chose the filet - it was good - not overly wowed by it. Atmosphere was nice - Dessert and coffee were the best part of the meal. Not sure for the price if I would ever go back.Special Features:
- Fine DiningRonCoDined on 3/22/2014Romantic when you sit in the larger room and the doors are open to the garden area. For those who are looking for "doggy bag" take portions don not bother with this restaurant. If you want fine dining in respectable portions served elegantly, this is a place to seek out. Menu allowed for a wide variety of choices we had a great meal and great experience at a pace we enjoyed.Special Features:
- Great SpotTandJDined on 3/15/2014Service always terrific, food always top notch if you enjoy different things other than the typical fareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still at the top in BuffaloOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/7/2014Have been there numerous times over the past year and witnessed constant high quality. Not a trendy place, luckily. Keep it that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014It was my first time at the Rue and it won't be my last. Food was excellent, the service was outstanding and the ambience was perfect. It's a great place to try different things that you normally wouldn't. I can't imagine anything on the menu that wouldn't come out tasting wonderful. And don't hesitate to ask for assistance in understanding the items on the menu. The maitre de was very kind and explained every appetizer and dinner item on the menu. Can't wait to go back and experience the Spring/Summer menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a gem!RCW838Dined on 2/20/2014The Rue Franklin has been in existence for many years. Change of ownership has maintained the high quality of food, service & ambience. Not many restaurants left that are like this. Would rate this the #1 fine dinning establishment in the Buffalo region & not that pricey for the quality of food as compared to others in the area. Also, during the warmer months, you can experience their beautiful patio which also may rank#1.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's day massacreLeChatDined on 2/14/2014The food this time was just average. The service was off-- my waiter brought my glass of wine about 5 minutes AFTER my entree arrived. The wine list offers a reasonably good selection, but they have very few wines by the glass (my waiter offered me a choice of a syrah and a pinot noir as their reds by the glass-- pathetic by any good French restaurant standards). It's pricey by Buffalo standards, and the food portions are modest, but for the most part adequate (salads are a bit skimpy, however-- especially when you're paying $10 for 50 cents' worth of veggies). The ambiance, however, is very elegant/romantic. This place has lost some of its charm for us compared to prior years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.