20 High Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rudisportsmouth.com/
- Phone: 6034307834
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kline
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Exceptionally high standards of service including cocktail, passed hors d'oeuvre and wine table service, as well as a diverse array of entree and homemade dessert options are just a few of the amenities our guests can expect to enjoy in either of our Private Dining Rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Maureen Baker 8776482460
- Entertainment: Join us for live music five days a week, including piano Wednesday through Saturday evenings and Jazz brunch on Sundays. Thursday nights feature lively sets by local favorites and specials in the lounge. Be sure to check the schedule on our site.
A word from Rudi's Portsmouth
Rudi's Portsmouth is a contemporary American restaurant with something for everyone. Ease your way in to a bright and brassy Sunday afternoon or moody weeknight when Rudi's charismatic atmosphere boasts an eclectic mix of downtown charm and uptown polish. Sample the freshest of local farms and Seaport bounties with menus for cool, quiet lunches (daily, 11:30-3) and upbeat, lime-lit dinners (nightly, 4-close) featuring a wide array of traditional dishes with signature twists.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rudi's Portsmouth reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (21)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (17)good for groups (17)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Pre-Show DelightTonyBennettDined on 8/13/2014Before catching a show downtown Portsmouth--I decided to treat myself to a nice dinner and some pre-show cocktails. Booking my solo table experience in "Open Table" was a breeze. And when I arrived at the appointed time, I was warm greeted by the staff and brought immediately to my table. The atmosphere at Rudi's is gorgeous. Very chic, very classy--but not stuffy or overly formal at all. And I must say--the lighting was impecible. It was cozy and dim but without any eye strain due to being too dark. The decor was, again, classy but comfortable. My waitress was sweet and helpful. The food was amazing--I had a crab ravioli special for my main and a brie for my starter. Wickedly wonderful! Had the best Cosmo to wash it all down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATBedfordVIPDined on 8/9/2014Rudi's is one of our favorite spots in Portsmouth, always enjoy it.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Wonderful food, ambience, service, etc...! My boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed celebrating our anniversary at Rudi's. I recommend it wholeheartedly!Special Features:
- AmazingPickyDinerDined on 8/9/2014The food is always delicious. The service is always great. The atmosphere is very warm. The jazz music is awesome (and not too loud by the way). The wait staff is always knowledgeable. This is my favorite restaurant by far in Portsmouth. Thanks!Special Features:
- Dan HusseyDanielJHDined on 8/1/2014This was our first trip to Rudi's and the food was great, service wonderful and the overall experience was exceptional!Special Features:
- UnevenCurtVIPDined on 7/31/2014The restaurant is beautiful, well located, there was live light classical music, and the service was good. Our party received seven dishes, of which three we palatable. The arctic char was dry and tasted quite freezer burned, the lamb and pasta floated in lamb grease (perhaps it had not been seared to drain the fat), and the mussels were overcooked into raisins. Only the pasta with alfredo sauce was delicious. I had to imagine a young chef with talent but no fine training and an understaffed kitchen. This restaurant can be saved, and I hope it will.
- A wonderful experience!SheriDined on 7/25/2014For the past 6 years, we have been going to Rudi's and have never had a bad experience. We lived in Newton, Ma with a vacation home in New Hampshire and Rudi's was our favorite stop for dinner every Friday night as we made our way North. The food is great and interesting, the ambiance is lovely and there is always good music! We especially love the bar table in the corner by the window. Tom, who is wonderful, is then our waiter and bartender and it is always a lovely experience. Although these tables can't be reserved, I called in May when we returned after 4 months in Arizona and Tom, knowing that we loved this table, had it reserved for us when we arrived. This kind of amazing service makes this restaurant a real gem!Special Features:
- Great FoodDeniDined on 7/12/2014This was my second time to Rudi's and it was excellent again. They had a trio playing and they were awesome. I highly recommend Rudi's and will be back there soon!Special Features:
- A great ExperienceMactor17VIPDined on 7/12/2014Portsmouth has a lot of restaurants to choose from and I am happy O chose Rudi's. The burger was cooked to perfection. The fries were tasty and I really enjoyed the salad I started with. If I go back to Portsmouth I will be sure to go back to Rudi's.Special Features:
- LovelyElleVIPDined on 7/12/2014We went for lunch and the restaurant was quiet. The staff was very attentive and wonderful, the food was very good - we recommend the bacon lobster sandwich!Special Features:
- Rudi's does it again!FoodieDined on 7/11/2014We go to Rudi's regularly and always have. Great meal. Their dinner specials reflect what's fresh and local - seafood and produce - and the preparations are always creative and delicious! The wait staff is professional and friendly, remembering our "regular" favorites. It's a great place for lunch too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will go backlynnskiDined on 7/9/2014Our server deserves an A+. Food was great and we loved being able to sample the gazpacho. We also appreciated being able to order a 1/2 glass of wine instead of a a full 2nd one. Our only complaint was that when we walked in, the place was empty except for the bar since it was early and the hostess seated us at the only table by the bathrooms. We had a reservation and the restaurant was still almost empty when we left, so why give us the worst table in the restaurant??? We will go back, but I will be more picky about the table next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Wine BarJFM2VIPDined on 7/6/2014Great restaurant and the wine bar is a welcome addition.Special Features:
- Food was quite goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014There were 5 members in our party. All enjoyed their meals. However, for the price some thought portions were rather small. One had pork tenderloin which was cooked to perfection. However the onion strings and kale that came with it did nothing to enhance his meal. He ended up eating some of the mushroom risotto (which was great) to complete his meal. All in all this is a great restaurant, the staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Restaurant is warm and welcoming. Great background music which allows the guests to actually converse with each other. Definitely would go back and recommend to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night ideaBiomajor88Dined on 7/3/2014My girlfriend and I love a good date night but were pleasently surprised about this place, we had made a reservation for 645 but were caught in the thunderstorms while downtown. When we came in we had asked the host if was alright to be sat earlier than our scheduled time and she said it wasn't a problem and sat us immediately. The food was amazing and the service was great, I highly reccomend this place to anyone looking for a fancy night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rudi's is "OK"OldsterDined on 7/1/2014I must be too old- but jeans on staff seems odd in a "fine dining" restaurant. Seafood bisque was over-salted and less than "creamry." Although we were one of the first diners, wait for meal was rather long. We actually did not complain, but waitres nevertheless offered the explanation that everything was "cooked from scratch" (a doubtful statement since the main course was pork shank).
- Impressive Dining Experiencemarklab69Dined on 6/30/2014We were visiting from Houston and were looking to treat family to a nice dinner out. Rudi's really delivered. Excellent service and ambiance. Food highlights - calimari, fried brie starters; arctic char, duck breast, risotto, linguine w/chorizo & calimari, seared scallops w/ penne mac & cheese mains. Everything that came to the table was outstanding. A gem of a restaurant that would hold its own against any of the Michelin or James Beard award winners in Houston.Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningCoop3842Dined on 6/23/2014For a first time visitor I was impressed with the quality of the food. Although the selections were somewhat limited there is enough variety to satisfy most people. The service was very good. The only negative was the ambiance. The decor is quiet plain and dark, however, if you just go for food you won't be disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday brunchtediDined on 6/22/2014We had a delightful birthday brunch last Sunday morning. Our waitress was excellent and the food was very good...a good selection to choose from and everything was hot and appetizing. We will definitely go back for lunch or dinner in the near future...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phillies fanPhilliesFanVIPDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed a wonderful birthday dinner with friends. The food was memorable. Great wine list and lovely music in the background .Special Features:
- Rudi's on a summer Saturday niteCarpoolguyDined on 6/21/2014We went to Rudi's this past Saturday night (thank you open table). Although I have dined often in Portsmouth, I didn't know what to expect. The good: the food was very good, from wild mushroom Risotto to the pepper rubbed Artic char and the seafood/chorizo linguine. The waitress was quite helpful in her recommendations and her willingness to substitute different sides. The jazz trio was terrific creating a nice ambiance. The price point for Portsmouth was about in line. The not as good: the specialty cocktail was so-so, the free parking was full, the noise at first was rather loud but it turned out to be the party next to us. We were seated next to the kitchen/bathroom hallway so the traffic was a bit heavy. All considered, I recommend.
- Great brunchFoodieDined on 6/8/2014Can't say enough. Probably one of the best service ever. We had a group of 8 plus toddler - they accommodated us so well. Everyone's food was super. A special place.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food & AtmosphereCaseyTVIPDined on 5/31/2014We have been coming to Portsmouth to dine for years and we are not sure how we missed this fabulous experience until now. Great food, wonderful attentive service and the jazz trio was a perfect compliment to the ambiance. We will be regulars!Special Features:
- Definitely going back!!!thegoodlifeDined on 5/30/2014Found this restaurant online after looking for restaurants in the "portsmouth, NH" area. Looked at the ratings on trip advisor. What a great place! Might have to make it down there once a month from the Portland Maine area - so worth it! OK - so we are in our young 50's, I love live jazz music which happened to be playing that night (a friday night). Ended up just eating on the lighter side - apps - the lobster crepe is probably the best I've ever had (even better than my home made), nice antipasto platter for two and a really good spinach salad. Notably - the "grapefruitini" was an excellent drink and the wine list had some really nice wines as well. The whole thing worked for us. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Good experience at Rudi'sfoodlvrDined on 5/24/2014Enjoyed an early evening dinner for two at Rudi's in Portsmouth. Food was flavorful and well presented. My ribeye was cooked to perfection and tender. My wife's dish, seared scallops over penne mac and cheese, was excellent, though with 4 small scallops and a price of $25, perhaps not the best of values. Our server was excellent - professional, friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Ambiance was pleasing with soft, live piano music providing a pleasant backdrop for easy conversation. Our seating arrangement was a bit odd, with two couples seated at opposite ends of the same long table. We were separated by enough space so privacy was not an issue. All-in-all, a positive dining experience.Special Features:
- We'll Be Back!tonyiovinoDined on 5/22/2014My wife and I stopped on our way up to Maine. First, we love Portsmouth--a great town! Found this on Yelp I believe, then reservations through Open Table (great app by the way!). The dinner was a series of pleasant surprises. First--it had parking! Love Portsmouth, but you really need to stay in town and walk--parking is at a premium. 2nd-- ambiance was totally different than we expected. 3rd--the food! We saw on the online menu a burger and figured it was a casual, pub type place. Uh huh. Very nice atmosphere, tending upscale. Little combo playing. Friendly, professional staff. And terrific food! The burger was clearly a throw-away item on the menu--the rest of it was first class. Food was fresh and cooked perfectly-- we highly recommend!
- Great for business lunchphonegirlDined on 5/22/2014I took an important client there and asked via the Open Door website for a private, quiet place and they gave us our own room! It was wonderful. I will go again but next time with some friends!Special Features:
- Perfect romantic location!HappycoupleDined on 5/18/2014We got married at Rudi's last year and had a wonderful time! Everyone was friendly and so accommodating, especially the event coordinator Maureen. The food was fantastic and we were really treated like royalty! We came back for the jazz brunch on our first anniversary and the chef treated us to an incredible dessert. The whole experience was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a findkpalDined on 5/16/2014We have been to Portsmouth many times and have always overlooked Rudi's. I decided to book it on open table and it was such a great place to have lunch. The menu is inventive with a great selection of lunch items. We were absolutely blown away by the food and still talk about the food. Great job and we will be back.Special Features:
- Rudi's was fabulous!katebrighamDined on 5/11/2014I went to Rudi's for Mother's Day brunch and was pleasantly surprised. The service was terrific, and the food was amazing! Both my mother and I had Huevos Rancheros which were to die for, and my dad's omelette was fantastic. The menu was extensive and had something for everyone, and prices are incredibly reasonable! The live jazz was a marvelous touch. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Mother's Day hitLove74Dined on 5/11/2014Had a great brunch! Service was stellar! Food very good too!! Huevos rancheros was yummy and the asparagus salad was delish! Jazz added to total 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful ExperienceYorkyDined on 5/9/2014Food was excellent and the service was outstanding. Ambiance was fine although the noise level was high in the other section of the dining room. People there were happy.food was well prepared and nicely plated. Out waiter was attentive but not obtrusive. Overall a great evening. We will do it again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all aroundjubailkidDined on 5/6/2014Rudi's is a great spot in downtown Portsmouth. I really like the ambience - it's not noisy and not overcrowded - a great place to go and have real quality time with people. the drinks are excellent and so is the food.Special Features:
- The following 310 reviews are from the Rudi's Portsmouth reviews archive.
- No better place for a nice lunchbentleyjrtVIPDined on 5/1/2014There truly is no better place for a nice lunch in Portsmouth.Special Features:
- Lovely cadre, food disappointswisegourmetDined on 4/19/2014Everything seems right until the food is served. In the modern way the entrée is incomplete (it'd require a side or two). The presentation is good. But unfortunately dish after dish has no taste, whether starter or entrée. The bread is not bad however. Rudi's is expensive by local standards. It's an attractive place, and in the evening the jazz in the background is pleasant. But one ultimately goes to a restaurant to dine, and for that you will do better making another choice.
- Spot on!EllenDined on 4/19/2014My Husband and I were traveling to Portsmouth for a performance at the Music Hall. A friend of mine mentioned Rudi's. I went to their website and everything clicked...right atmosphere, great food selection and jazz too. Made our reservation through Open Table. Our dinner was fabulous and really hit the spot. Brilliant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunchESGFDined on 4/13/2014Wait staff is professional and friendly. Food is very good, but there was a mix up in the kitchen on this visit and I was disappointed. Sent us free dessert as apology. Lovely brunch with friends where we head to Portsmouth as a midway meeting point. Very nice jazz during Sunday brunch. Price is very reasonable. I would recommend a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous brunch!DebbieandLarryDined on 4/13/2014Wonderful experience at Rudis! Delicious food, live jazz, great atmosphere, attentive service, and the best Bloody Mary we have ever had! We will definitely be back and recommend this restaurant to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014Once again a great meal. One small fault though. One member in our group ordered the ravioli with the seared duck add-on. The duck was fatty and chewy, not much meat to enjoy. Too bad because the ravioli were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent evening/dinner - try it!RoccoDined on 4/5/2014Very nice décor/ambiance. Food was excellent. Server was engaging, attentive and accommodating. Live music was added treat. Enjoyed everything about this place and the dinner. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.