20 High Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rudisportsmouth.com/
- Phone: 6034307834
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kline
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Exceptionally high standards of service including cocktail, passed hors d'oeuvre and wine table service, as well as a diverse array of entree and homemade dessert options are just a few of the amenities our guests can expect to enjoy in either of our Private Dining Rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Maureen Baker 8776482460
- Entertainment: Join us for live music five days a week, including piano Wednesday through Saturday evenings and Jazz brunch on Sundays. Thursday nights feature lively sets by local favorites and specials in the lounge. Be sure to check the schedule on our site.
A word from Rudi's Portsmouth
Rudi's Portsmouth is a contemporary American restaurant with something for everyone. Ease your way in to a bright and brassy Sunday afternoon or moody weeknight when Rudi's charismatic atmosphere boasts an eclectic mix of downtown charm and uptown polish. Sample the freshest of local farms and Seaport bounties with menus for cool, quiet lunches (daily, 11:30-3) and upbeat, lime-lit dinners (nightly, 4-close) featuring a wide array of traditional dishes with signature twists.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Rudi's Portsmouth - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Rudi's Portsmouth reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (30)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (22)good for groups (19)great for lunch (14)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (13)great for brunch (11)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great service/ambience. Good food.FrequentdinerVIPDined on 11/8/2013We arrived 5 minutes early for our reservation and, although our table was free, we were asked to wait several minutes before being seated. Seemed a bit odd. The atmosphere was nice: good lighting, live jazz musicians, active bar scene. To start, I had the grilled fennel and watermelon salad which was good. However it should have been called arugula and watermelon salad with vague traces of grilled fennel. For the main course, I had the pepper rubbed Arctic char which was well cooked and tasty, but no real 'wow' factor. For dessert we shared the special which was some sort of strawberry pastry with amaretto cream. That was nicely sized and delicious.
- Special night outTouristInPortsmouthDined on 11/2/2013We were in Portsmouth for a weekend getaway and found Rudi's on the internet. Their menu appealed to us and lived up to its appeal. Service was great, not rushed at all. Prices were within reason and worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2013I visited Rudi's on a Saturday during lunch, I was celebrating my birthday with my family. I ordered a bottle of wine, the waitress never presented it or had me taste it. She just poured all three glasses. We sat there for about 20 minutes looking over the menu, she came over twice to check on us, which was great. However when I ordered my meal she told me the kitchen was out of my selection. They were also out of my mother's selection. You would think that when she came over to check on us before we ordered she would have told us what the kitchen was out of. It was frustrating. The food was great, the decor warm and inviting. I just think the servers need more training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dining experienceWeekendvisiterDined on 10/25/2013My wife and I spent a weekend visiting Portsmouth, and a friend suggested we try Rudi's. Had reservations and got there late Friday evening, the place was still vibrant. Service was friendly and fairly quick, attentive without hovering. Dinner was delicious, my wife ordered the scallops off the appetizer menu (enough for her, since it was a late dinner) and I had the filet special over garlic mashed potatoes....one of the best meals I had. Certainly worth another visit on our next trip to Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantDeniDined on 10/25/2013I had never been to Rudi's and I'm glad I finally tried it. They had a jazz trio playing, which was awesome! The food was great, as was the wine. It was a little hard to have a conversation given the music and level of noise, but overall it was a wonderful evening, and I'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!RobbieDined on 10/24/2013Loved everything about our 1st visit to Rudi's! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will definitely go backbentleyjrtVIPDined on 10/23/2013Had another great lunch at Rudis. There are some new menu items and overall a great selection. Good food, good service and lots of ambiance...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great jazz brunchrrd14Dined on 10/20/2013The pink grapefruitini was delicious. No wonder it won for Portsmouth's best cocktail! The scallops and the crab benedict were awesome! Great portions and reasonable prices. Service and ambience were great for a Sunday jazz brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Had A Great Time at Rudi'sDSLandCJLVIPDined on 10/19/2013Everything about the evening was wonderful -- the food, the jazz, the room. Portsmouth and Rudi's os our new favorite vacation spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2013Pleasantly surprised... My wife and I went there as something new and found that we loved it there... the service was great and the food was even better...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice menu and atmospherebentleyjrtVIPDined on 10/16/2013I like the new lunch menu, lots of good choices. Remains one of my favorite places for lunch in Portsmouth. Love the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food okspecialkDined on 10/9/2013the food was ok - the lamp chops were ordered by two people - one diners lamb was undercooked and had to go back to the chef and mine was cooked perfectly but quite honestly there was less meat on it than i have had in most other restaurants where i have eaten a similar meal.Special Features:
- Romantic evening with great foodjdubDined on 10/7/2013The starters are imaginative and wonderful. We made a meal from just those. In particular the fig ravioli (ummm) and the lobster/mushroom crepe (wow) were especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rudi'sdsaltoDined on 9/27/2013Went to Rudi's for our anniversary dinner. It was great! Server was knowledgable of both food and wine, made great recommendations with a smile. Food was terrific and the downtown Portsmouth location could not have been better! We thoroughly enjoyed the evening. We'd go back in a heart beat and would highly recommend Rudi's!Special Features:
- Great for Couples or Small GroupOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/21/2013Went on a Saturday night w/ 8pm reservations. Nice table for the six of us. Live, smooth jazz accompanied dinner. Food was very good. Good wines. Attentive wait staff. Would go again. Very much enjoyed.Special Features:
- always my favorite place for lunchbentleyjrtVIPDined on 9/18/2013It's nice to be waited on at lunch and the atmosphere is classy without being "formal". Food is always good. The on site parking is a real bonus too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely little restaurantNeilDDined on 9/14/2013We were in on a Saturday night and it was very busy, even so we were seated right away and the service was attentive without intruding. The food was lovely, cooked to perfection and delivered in an appealing way on the plate. There was a band on this night and it provided a nice background without being so loud you couldn't talk. All in all a wonderful experience and we'll be back to visit again oftem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerHungry24Dined on 9/14/2013Enjoyed the food, not a long wait, excellent customer service, food was cooked exactly how I ordered it and came out quicklySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner with friendsFlynnieDined on 9/14/2013There are so many restaurants to choose from in Poetsmouth, but Rudi's is truly special. The service was excellent (she even remembered we had been there a few months earlier). She made excellent suggestions and let us take our time and enjoy the night. We will continue to come back to Rudi's again and again. The food is excellent, the service is wonderful and the ambience is perfect for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to spot for a special occasionMelinaDined on 9/13/2013The service is exemplary and the food is outstanding. I have gone on three occasions since September of 2013 and can always count on a great meal.Special Features:
- Date nightChocolateshoesDined on 8/31/2013My husband and I enjoy Rudi's because its romantic, we love the jazz playing in the bar area, and the food is consistently well prepared and delicious. The atmosphere is dimly lit and soft and the waitstaff are knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. This is a must when eating in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 2nd time there this weekbentleyjrtVIPDined on 8/28/2013My 2nd time there this week, Rudis is always a favortie. Good food, good service and lots of ambiance. Classy but casual place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Forget Rudi's . . .PigletDined on 8/26/2013In a city like Portsmouth, where there are so many wonderful restaurants, we tend to neglect Rudi's for months--and then we go back and remember what a pleasant and delicious dining experience it offers. Understated elegance, delicious food, discreet and attentive service . . . a great place for an intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place for lunch in PorstmouthbentleyjrtVIPDined on 8/26/2013I like Rudis for lunch because in addition to the good food, I can sit down with a friend, get waited on, enjoy a casual atmosphere, but still have tablecloths and linen napkins. And I like that the tables aren't packed in so tight that your conversation with your friend (or business associate) can be easily heard by neighboring tables. The free parking is a real perk too.Special Features:
- anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013went for our anniversary on a Saturday night. It was not very busy and the height of the season. Wondered why. The jazz trio was a great plus.The filet was one of the best I have had. My wife had the risotto which was fine also. Started with mussels which were good but not big and plump. The Caesar's salad was so so . The server was good but not great. It was a mix of on the cusp of being a great restaurant and a good restaurant. I loved the atmosphere and the jazz. Our table was well located with a nice view of the band and the bar, yet away from the noise. it was just a little off, something I can't put my finger on. While the place was not that busy, our server seemed rushed. Great filet, could have used an anchovy. will try again.Special Features:
- not badheels81Dined on 8/19/2013the server did a good job of describing the specials and was conversational about the food throughout. the tables are a little close together and I sometimes felt part of the next party's conversation, but overall it was OK. I had mentioned in my reservation notes that it was my girlfriend's birthday, so I wish they had acknowledged that, but again no worries. the mahi mahi with polenta was very good, so were the seared scallops and tuna tatare. I didn't drink on this visit, so I would like to go back to explore the wine list a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the atmosphere andBuckeyeVIPDined on 8/14/2013Enjoyed the atmosphere and restaurant in a town with many tourist traps, this felt like had been around and did not just survive on tourists. Live piano was nice and at a level that was just background. Menu was somewhat limited, service was attentive, until kitchen backed up and main courses were delayed with no explanation given. When called to server's attention, immediately addressed and comped a glass of wine. Food was very good with generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2013I would go back toRudis again again. The service was good the food delicious! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Batting Two for TwoMikeVIPDined on 8/12/2013It was our second time in a month at Rudi's for dinner. The first time I had the tuna special-outstanding. The second time I had the beef tenderloin special-outstanding. What more can I say!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2013Nice people, dinner was ok. Had scallop appetizer that was sweet but good. Main courses were ok but nothing special. Not a bad choice if kept basic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dine and have funOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2013We always have fun at Rudi's and a good meal, whether it's simply appetizers or from the entrée portion of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first visit andJanelleVIPDined on 7/27/2013This was our first visit and we will definitely be back! The food and service was both excellent and our server was quite helpful. Every course was a pleasure including the Peanut Butter Martini. We had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Great FlavorsDMB2013Dined on 7/27/2013Delicious meal, tasty wine and great ambiance. Got a bit loud with the diners trying to keep their conversations going over the live music playing, but our waitress treated us like we were her only guests.. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is very beautifuljakthirdVIPDined on 7/27/2013The restaurant is very beautiful inside and the tables are spaced pretty far apart leading to a relatively private dining experience. My girlfriend had a watermelon salad and a haddock special, both were good. My grilled asparagus salad was great, but my arctic char dish lacked seasoning and the fish was overcooked. The service was also not very attentive at all - took a while to get waited on and we barely saw our server during the meal.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2013It was our first time at Rudi's and we would definitely go back. The food was excellent and when we left we both agreed that it was the best meal we have had in Portsmouth in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificNadeausDined on 7/22/2013This was our first time at your restaurant, and we'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outDonEDined on 7/20/2013We booked a last minute dinner at Rudi's this past weekend and it was a great night. Our brief 10 minute wait was spent at the bar having some cocktails which were typically priced but good pours and well made. When seated for dinner we were approached almost immediately by the server. She was well informed and friendly and quickly served hot breads with a mango butter. Our meals were the specials, Arctic Char and a Cocoa dusted tenderloin, and were served fairly quickly and the meals were delicious. We were too full for dessert but enjoyed a walk around market square after we ate. We fully intend to return and enjoy Rudi's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious foodChristinascousinDined on 7/20/2013I had the ahi tuna tartar appetizer which was very good, and the arctic char on brussel sprouts and beets which was delicious. My friend had the 14 ounce steak and said it was fantastic. Like most good restaurants, my gluten and dairy allergy information was received and dealt with graciously. I would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed Rudi's...greatOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/10/2013We really enjoyed Rudi's...great bartender, wonderful wine list, we had the calamari appetizer which was good but a bit too much sauce...lobster penne was great and also rib eye!Special Features:
- SuperbSheliotVIPDined on 7/6/2013My daughter and I dined here recently and loved the experience. The menu is ever changing, small but varied choices. Everything we ordered was exceptional, from the peanut butter martini to the main courses. I had a pork shank that was big enough for two to dine from and it was the best I have had anywhere. My daughter's ribeye was so tender she harly needed a knife to cut it. I will definitely dine here again if I ever retrn to Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.