20 High Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rudisportsmouth.com/
- Phone: (603) 430-7834
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kline
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Exceptionally high standards of service including cocktail, passed hors d'oeuvre and wine table service, as well as a diverse array of entree and homemade dessert options are just a few of the amenities our guests can expect to enjoy in either of our Private Dining Rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Maureen Baker 8776482460
- Entertainment: Join us for live music five days a week, including piano Wednesday through Saturday evenings and Jazz brunch on Sundays. Thursday nights feature lively sets by local favorites and specials in the lounge. Be sure to check the schedule on our site.
A word from Rudi's Portsmouth
Rudi's Portsmouth is a contemporary American restaurant with something for everyone. Ease your way in to a bright and brassy Sunday afternoon or moody weeknight when Rudi's charismatic atmosphere boasts an eclectic mix of downtown charm and uptown polish. Sample the freshest of local farms and Seaport bounties with menus for cool, quiet lunches (daily, 11:30-3) and upbeat, lime-lit dinners (nightly, 4-close) featuring a wide array of traditional dishes with signature twists.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Rudi's Portsmouth - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Rudi's Portsmouth reviews from OpenTable diners
- Delightful surpriseCathyVIPDined on 12/11/2013I've walked by this restaurant numerous times since I moved to the area. Finally went there for lunch - was delighted and surprised. Sophisticated (but not hyper trendy with attitude) comfortable dining areas; reminds me of a nice NYC restaurant; tables far enough apart that you can talk comfortably with your table mates, great service and a lunch menu with creative options. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Exceeded most expectations!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013It was a lovely evening; delicious food, exceptional service (thank you "David") and a nice ambience with the live quartet playing.
- Never a disappointmentSallyDined on 11/30/2013We are never disappointed when going to Rudi's. One favorite appetizer is their Brie plate. The specials are interesting and tasty. A nice spot to unwind and listen to some good jazz as well.Special Features:
- Great spot, a little pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013Great spot, a little pricy but nice for special nite out. Background music from the bar was great and the whole atmosphere was very classy, cozy but not stuffySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portsmouth's BestpizzazzyDined on 11/22/2013Our dining experience at Rudi's was Excellent! The food tasted great, the presentations were beautiful and our server was very warm & friendly. I also liked that even though the dining room was small, the tables were far enough apart so we didn't feel like we were dining with the table next to us. We were there on a Friday night and the music in the Bar area was a great addition. I'd have dinner here again anytime I'm in Portsmouth! Plus they have their own parking lot so it was convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2013Our first time at Rudi's. They were able to seat us early which was fantastic. Food was outstanding as was our server. The only negatives on the evening were that it was our anniversary and the seating lacked intimacy. The other was waiting 20 minutes for dessert and then to be told that they ran out of one of the desserts we ordered. Our server did take the dessert charge off the bill though. To be fair, we would most certainly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night at Rudi's!teedeeDined on 11/16/2013Enjoyed another wonderful evening at Rudi's on the last night of Restaurant Week 2013 in Portsmouth. Service and food were great. Always a little loud, but not enough to ruin the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceMarcVIPDined on 11/15/2013We were really looking forward to our experience based on other reviews. Got there at 7:15 for an 8:15 reservation, and were told by the hostess we wouldn't be seated until then (not bothering to mention why given the five open tables in the main dining area or the twenty in the adjoining area). We sat at the bar for drinks and an appetizer (both good). We checked on the table at 8:15, and were informed by the hostess that people were taking longer (again despite the fact there were multiple open tables). We weren't seated until almost 9. The food was decent but took too long. Service was OK. If a manager had come over to apologize, I wouldn't be wiring this review right now. Definitely would not go back.
- GreatKarenQDined on 11/15/2013Nice atmosphere...we went on a Friday evening in November and they had live music, a bass guitar and piano..very nice and romantic. They also had a wine bar which was great...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classicTastebudDined on 11/14/2013I had been meaning to try Rudi's for quite some time. Decor is elegant. Service was very attentive. The food was good, but not exceptional. Very we'll prepared but not interesting. I did the restaurant week menu. My guests all ordered from the regular menu. I had a chili cocoa rubbed pork that sounded amazing, but actually didn't have a lot of flavor. The mushroom risotto was excellent and my guests that had the beef tenderloin topped with Gorgonzola said it was cooked perfectly. The chocolate bunt cake was a great end to the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great bar & bartenders; decent foodchuckmac07VIPDined on 11/12/2013we ate at the bar since the restaurant had zero personality. great servers & nice decor in the bar. nice menu but food prep was heavily sauced & heavy handed. we'd go back to the bar, but ask them to go light on ANY sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rudi'ssteveDined on 11/9/2013Food was excellent, service was ok, not the best i've encountered but not the terrible. Noise level was much higher than i expected.Special Features:
- Not the best...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013Went to Rudi's as part of Portsmouth's "Restaurant Week" program. Having been there on non-resturaunt-week occasions, I think this was the "norm". Reservation for 8:30. We didn't get seated until just about 9 PM. My wife ordered the restaurant week specie drinkl. I asked the bartender to make a drink of his choosing. Both were not great. We ordered of the pre-fix restaurant week menu. Got the salad which, unfortunately, was inedible. It tasted like the salad dressing was bad or burned. Also had the bean and pork soup which was great. Had the pork for dinner. While I'm not a chef, it did not seem to have been freshly cooked. A little dry and cold. Wife said the cod was great. Will order of the normal menu next time!Special Features:
- A Concern so easily to addressRangerDined on 11/8/2013There was a normal noise level so it seemed that the nice soft music of the playing combo grew in intensity There were other diners there who were over 55 that also felt the noise level was uncomfortable It is so important to us to be able to have a calm atmosphere when dining out so we can speak in normal tones and not be so boisterous that the patrons to your left and right are now becoming part of your dinner party The food was just wonderful Our server was so well informed about every aspect of the menu She had a very abrupt manor It was a shame really because she was not that rushed The service check box should have been rated more than 3 stars but it was a concern we all wished to share with managementSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service/ambience. Good food.FrequentdinerVIPDined on 11/8/2013We arrived 5 minutes early for our reservation and, although our table was free, we were asked to wait several minutes before being seated. Seemed a bit odd. The atmosphere was nice: good lighting, live jazz musicians, active bar scene. To start, I had the grilled fennel and watermelon salad which was good. However it should have been called arugula and watermelon salad with vague traces of grilled fennel. For the main course, I had the pepper rubbed Arctic char which was well cooked and tasty, but no real 'wow' factor. For dessert we shared the special which was some sort of strawberry pastry with amaretto cream. That was nicely sized and delicious.
- Special night outTouristInPortsmouthDined on 11/2/2013We were in Portsmouth for a weekend getaway and found Rudi's on the internet. Their menu appealed to us and lived up to its appeal. Service was great, not rushed at all. Prices were within reason and worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2013I visited Rudi's on a Saturday during lunch, I was celebrating my birthday with my family. I ordered a bottle of wine, the waitress never presented it or had me taste it. She just poured all three glasses. We sat there for about 20 minutes looking over the menu, she came over twice to check on us, which was great. However when I ordered my meal she told me the kitchen was out of my selection. They were also out of my mother's selection. You would think that when she came over to check on us before we ordered she would have told us what the kitchen was out of. It was frustrating. The food was great, the decor warm and inviting. I just think the servers need more training.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dining experienceWeekendvisiterDined on 10/25/2013My wife and I spent a weekend visiting Portsmouth, and a friend suggested we try Rudi's. Had reservations and got there late Friday evening, the place was still vibrant. Service was friendly and fairly quick, attentive without hovering. Dinner was delicious, my wife ordered the scallops off the appetizer menu (enough for her, since it was a late dinner) and I had the filet special over garlic mashed potatoes....one of the best meals I had. Certainly worth another visit on our next trip to Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantDeniDined on 10/25/2013I had never been to Rudi's and I'm glad I finally tried it. They had a jazz trio playing, which was awesome! The food was great, as was the wine. It was a little hard to have a conversation given the music and level of noise, but overall it was a wonderful evening, and I'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!RobbieDined on 10/24/2013Loved everything about our 1st visit to Rudi's! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will definitely go backbentleyjrtVIPDined on 10/23/2013Had another great lunch at Rudis. There are some new menu items and overall a great selection. Good food, good service and lots of ambiance...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great jazz brunchrrd14Dined on 10/20/2013The pink grapefruitini was delicious. No wonder it won for Portsmouth's best cocktail! The scallops and the crab benedict were awesome! Great portions and reasonable prices. Service and ambience were great for a Sunday jazz brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Had A Great Time at Rudi'sDSLandCJLVIPDined on 10/19/2013Everything about the evening was wonderful -- the food, the jazz, the room. Portsmouth and Rudi's os our new favorite vacation spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2013Pleasantly surprised... My wife and I went there as something new and found that we loved it there... the service was great and the food was even better...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice menu and atmospherebentleyjrtVIPDined on 10/16/2013I like the new lunch menu, lots of good choices. Remains one of my favorite places for lunch in Portsmouth. Love the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food okspecialkDined on 10/9/2013the food was ok - the lamp chops were ordered by two people - one diners lamb was undercooked and had to go back to the chef and mine was cooked perfectly but quite honestly there was less meat on it than i have had in most other restaurants where i have eaten a similar meal.Special Features:
- Romantic evening with great foodjdubDined on 10/7/2013The starters are imaginative and wonderful. We made a meal from just those. In particular the fig ravioli (ummm) and the lobster/mushroom crepe (wow) were especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rudi'sdsaltoDined on 9/27/2013Went to Rudi's for our anniversary dinner. It was great! Server was knowledgable of both food and wine, made great recommendations with a smile. Food was terrific and the downtown Portsmouth location could not have been better! We thoroughly enjoyed the evening. We'd go back in a heart beat and would highly recommend Rudi's!Special Features:
- Great for Couples or Small GroupOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/21/2013Went on a Saturday night w/ 8pm reservations. Nice table for the six of us. Live, smooth jazz accompanied dinner. Food was very good. Good wines. Attentive wait staff. Would go again. Very much enjoyed.Special Features:
- always my favorite place for lunchbentleyjrtVIPDined on 9/18/2013It's nice to be waited on at lunch and the atmosphere is classy without being "formal". Food is always good. The on site parking is a real bonus too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely little restaurantNeilDDined on 9/14/2013We were in on a Saturday night and it was very busy, even so we were seated right away and the service was attentive without intruding. The food was lovely, cooked to perfection and delivered in an appealing way on the plate. There was a band on this night and it provided a nice background without being so loud you couldn't talk. All in all a wonderful experience and we'll be back to visit again oftem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinnerHungry24Dined on 9/14/2013Enjoyed the food, not a long wait, excellent customer service, food was cooked exactly how I ordered it and came out quicklySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner with friendsFlynnieDined on 9/14/2013There are so many restaurants to choose from in Poetsmouth, but Rudi's is truly special. The service was excellent (she even remembered we had been there a few months earlier). She made excellent suggestions and let us take our time and enjoy the night. We will continue to come back to Rudi's again and again. The food is excellent, the service is wonderful and the ambience is perfect for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to spot for a special occasionMelinaDined on 9/13/2013The service is exemplary and the food is outstanding. I have gone on three occasions since September of 2013 and can always count on a great meal.Special Features:
- Date nightChocolateshoesDined on 8/31/2013My husband and I enjoy Rudi's because its romantic, we love the jazz playing in the bar area, and the food is consistently well prepared and delicious. The atmosphere is dimly lit and soft and the waitstaff are knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. This is a must when eating in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 2nd time there this weekbentleyjrtVIPDined on 8/28/2013My 2nd time there this week, Rudis is always a favortie. Good food, good service and lots of ambiance. Classy but casual place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Forget Rudi's . . .PigletDined on 8/26/2013In a city like Portsmouth, where there are so many wonderful restaurants, we tend to neglect Rudi's for months--and then we go back and remember what a pleasant and delicious dining experience it offers. Understated elegance, delicious food, discreet and attentive service . . . a great place for an intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place for lunch in PorstmouthbentleyjrtVIPDined on 8/26/2013I like Rudis for lunch because in addition to the good food, I can sit down with a friend, get waited on, enjoy a casual atmosphere, but still have tablecloths and linen napkins. And I like that the tables aren't packed in so tight that your conversation with your friend (or business associate) can be easily heard by neighboring tables. The free parking is a real perk too.Special Features:
- anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2013went for our anniversary on a Saturday night. It was not very busy and the height of the season. Wondered why. The jazz trio was a great plus.The filet was one of the best I have had. My wife had the risotto which was fine also. Started with mussels which were good but not big and plump. The Caesar's salad was so so . The server was good but not great. It was a mix of on the cusp of being a great restaurant and a good restaurant. I loved the atmosphere and the jazz. Our table was well located with a nice view of the band and the bar, yet away from the noise. it was just a little off, something I can't put my finger on. While the place was not that busy, our server seemed rushed. Great filet, could have used an anchovy. will try again.Special Features:
- not badheels81Dined on 8/19/2013the server did a good job of describing the specials and was conversational about the food throughout. the tables are a little close together and I sometimes felt part of the next party's conversation, but overall it was OK. I had mentioned in my reservation notes that it was my girlfriend's birthday, so I wish they had acknowledged that, but again no worries. the mahi mahi with polenta was very good, so were the seared scallops and tuna tatare. I didn't drink on this visit, so I would like to go back to explore the wine list a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.