20 High Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rudisportsmouth.com/
- Phone: 6034307834
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Kline
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Exceptionally high standards of service including cocktail, passed hors d'oeuvre and wine table service, as well as a diverse array of entree and homemade dessert options are just a few of the amenities our guests can expect to enjoy in either of our Private Dining Rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Maureen Baker 8776482460
- Entertainment: Join us for live music five days a week, including piano Wednesday through Saturday evenings and Jazz brunch on Sundays. Thursday nights feature lively sets by local favorites and specials in the lounge. Be sure to check the schedule on our site.
A word from Rudi's Portsmouth
Rudi's Portsmouth is a contemporary American restaurant with something for everyone. Ease your way in to a bright and brassy Sunday afternoon or moody weeknight when Rudi's charismatic atmosphere boasts an eclectic mix of downtown charm and uptown polish. Sample the freshest of local farms and Seaport bounties with menus for cool, quiet lunches (daily, 11:30-3) and upbeat, lime-lit dinners (nightly, 4-close) featuring a wide array of traditional dishes with signature twists.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Rudi's Portsmouth - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Rudi's Portsmouth reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (33)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (25)good for groups (22)great for lunch (15)vibrant bar scene (14)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (12)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Lovely brunchESGFDined on 4/13/2014Wait staff is professional and friendly. Food is very good, but there was a mix up in the kitchen on this visit and I was disappointed. Sent us free dessert as apology. Lovely brunch with friends where we head to Portsmouth as a midway meeting point. Very nice jazz during Sunday brunch. Price is very reasonable. I would recommend a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous brunch!DebbieandLarryDined on 4/13/2014Wonderful experience at Rudis! Delicious food, live jazz, great atmosphere, attentive service, and the best Bloody Mary we have ever had! We will definitely be back and recommend this restaurant to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014Once again a great meal. One small fault though. One member in our group ordered the ravioli with the seared duck add-on. The duck was fatty and chewy, not much meat to enjoy. Too bad because the ravioli were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent evening/dinner - try it!RoccoDined on 4/5/2014Very nice décor/ambiance. Food was excellent. Server was engaging, attentive and accommodating. Live music was added treat. Enjoyed everything about this place and the dinner. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nailed it.smorepleaseDined on 3/15/2014The waitstaff was energetic and knew their stuff. Fantastic rosemary bread and honey bourbon butter! This was my first visit to Rudi's and I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Intimate LunchK1JJSDined on 3/8/2014One of the attractions was the private parking lot right at the door! Service was attentive and gracious. The specialty cocktails and appetizers were excellent. Although the salads (lunch special) were tasty and properly prepared, there was a bit too much dressing. A lovely place to dine! However, the screaming child did make for an unpleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredible food and serviceKennebunk1979Dined on 2/28/2014When entertaining clients for lunch, Rudis is my go to restaraunt. The combination of atmosphere, great service and phenomenal food is hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bars at the front and backWinoNHDined on 2/22/2014Bars at the front and back of the restaurant and a jazz group playing in the smaller rear bar. The dining areas include one attached to the smaller bar. This are was nice and the jazz duet mad for nice ambiance. The dining are between the front and back was dead quite. We preferred the rear area. Food was very good, but not excellent. Service was outstanding and the wine selection was very good.Special Features:
- GOOD EXPERIENCEFoodLoverVIPDined on 2/22/2014The dining room is warm and inviting. We purposely dined while the music (jazz) was playing and enjoyed both the food and music. The food was well prepared and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fineLloggDined on 2/20/2014The food was delicious and the service great. Looks like a gathering place for locals so you know it's going to be good. The bar Was vibrant when we walked in. We will put this on our list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014Very Quiet, We ordered martini's and an old fashioned. All drinks were spectacular. The food was a good portion and the kitchen went out of their way to accommodate our special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencedin42Dined on 2/12/2014Immediately the ambience will set the mood while a musician plays piano in the corner. A cozy, quiet atmosphere, with helpful friendly waitstaff. The quality of food was impressive. Whether you crave savory Scallops over Mac and Cheese or a classic Rudi's Burger and fries, they have it all and it is amazing. A dining experience worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding NightCdeedDined on 2/8/2014Easily the best dining experience I've vet had in Portsmouth, and that's saying something. Five stars, definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerMelandBillDined on 2/8/2014Went for an early valentines dinner. Had a great meal and the service was excellent. We loved the lobster, mushroom crepe starter and the pear dessert was a very nice ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rudis never fails.Roz99Dined on 2/7/2014Always good service and ambience at Rudis The music is pleasant and not overwhelming Knowledgable wait staff. Great place to end the weekSpecial Features:
- DisappointedDeeleeVIPDined on 1/29/2014Having read reviews on Rudi's, It seemed like a good choice for lunch with our out of town guests. Our server doubled as bartender so we waited quite a while for our food. Parties that arrived later were served first. Three of us ordered clam chowder and one ordered curried soup. All were very good. My friend and I ordered the pastrami sandwich. It was very salty and typical deli pastrami. My husband ordered the blackened salmon sandwich, which was extremely over salted, to the point he had to scrape the topping off. Our second guest ordered the seafood crepe, which had little filling for the price. All in all I would have to rethink returning to this restaurant.
- Another great lunch at Rudi's!CathyVIPDined on 1/25/2014Varied lunch menu with quite a number of creative options. In addition to the usual chicken and salmon options to top their delicious salads they also offer scallops (excellent quality), duck, shrimp, and tuna. Attentive and quick service. Very nice place to have lunch and be able to carry on a conversation (i.e. the room is not noisy even when there is music).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceTillyDined on 1/22/2014We went on a Wednesday evening, it was a nice surprise to find there were half priced appetizers and specialty cocktails. The bartender was also our waiter, he gave us excellent service and also gave great recommendations! We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks were toughjamtonDined on 1/18/2014The restaurant was a little loud for my wife and I but the problem was the steaks, the tender loin and rib eye were tough.The fried brie appetizer was very good and the service was good. The steaks were very disappointing.Special Features:
- This was my wife's birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014This was my wife's birthday celebration and I could not have picked a better place for the evening. The food , service , piano music and ambience couldn't have been better. The only thing I missed was our servers name , she was terrific but we were so busy chatting I thing we overlooked it. Great place , we will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been many time. LoveesanbornDined on 1/6/2014I have been many time. Love that they have they have their own parking. This particular time was for a customer meeting! It was FABULOUS! Everyone commented on their dinner - delicious. Highlights from our table are: calamari appetizer, salmon burger, swordfish, pork shank. Every plate for everyone of us (6) was clean when finished. I would highly recommend this spot,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressionslastmeal2013Dined on 12/31/2013The food was execellent, the wait staff and all personel were also. We were early for dinner and there were many empty tables including the one we sat at but we had to wait until our reserved time. We were also placed at a table for four that was next to a table for 10 that were very loud and it was difficult for us at times to carry on a conversation.Next time I would be a little cautious about where we sat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013A charming restaurant in the heart of Portsmouth NH. Walkable from our hotel Interesting Menu options. Quality & presentation of our dinner was excellent. Thank you for the professional service.Special Features:
- Good, but could have been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013We chose Rudis for our New Year's Eve dinner. We have been numerous times and, to us, a visit there is a special occasion. We weren't in a hurry. A good thing. Overall, we enjoyed our visit, but felt the service wasn't up to Rudi's usual standards. The food took a long time to come out, even for a busy New Year's Eve. But what bugged me the most was that our waiter seemed to ignore us during this time. He should have checked in and offered us another drink. We would have found this acceptable. The food itself was good. But the service made the overall experience sub par compared to our previous two or three visits. We will go back, but not for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I went to Rudi'sMariaDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I went to Rudi's for New Year's Eve and everything was excellent. This is our 5th time to this restaurant and the food and service is always wonderful !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rudi's Portsmouth NHServerNYCDined on 12/23/2013Took my parents to Rudi's in Portsmouth the other night, and we all had a really good time. The price points are very reasonable, and the menu was diverse. The wine/cocktail list could be a little more adventurous and creative, but all in all they covered a lot of the libation based. I was quite impressed with the Scallops over penne Mac and cheese...the pasta was flavorful and not too heavy. The atmosphere was pleasing to the eye, and the playlist was perfect for the holiday season... I will definitely be dining at Rudi's in the future.Special Features:
- Good lunch, great service!CallistoVIPDined on 12/23/2013First time to Rudi's - we were drawn by he interesting lunch menu. The service was terrific. Our reservation was handled well, and our waitress was outstanding - sincere in her friendliness and perfect in her attentiveness to us. Food was very good, but the Thai salmon wrap underwhelmed due to it being primarily vegetable accompaniment and modest in salmon. When back in the area, we will return to try other offerings.
- best place for lunch in PortsmouthbentleyjrtVIPDined on 12/20/2013Consistently good. Truly the best place for lunch in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful surpriseCathyVIPDined on 12/11/2013I've walked by this restaurant numerous times since I moved to the area. Finally went there for lunch - was delighted and surprised. Sophisticated (but not hyper trendy with attitude) comfortable dining areas; reminds me of a nice NYC restaurant; tables far enough apart that you can talk comfortably with your table mates, great service and a lunch menu with creative options. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Exceeded most expectations!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013It was a lovely evening; delicious food, exceptional service (thank you "David") and a nice ambience with the live quartet playing.
- Never a disappointmentSallyDined on 11/30/2013We are never disappointed when going to Rudi's. One favorite appetizer is their Brie plate. The specials are interesting and tasty. A nice spot to unwind and listen to some good jazz as well.Special Features:
- Great spot, a little pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013Great spot, a little pricy but nice for special nite out. Background music from the bar was great and the whole atmosphere was very classy, cozy but not stuffySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portsmouth's BestpizzazzyDined on 11/22/2013Our dining experience at Rudi's was Excellent! The food tasted great, the presentations were beautiful and our server was very warm & friendly. I also liked that even though the dining room was small, the tables were far enough apart so we didn't feel like we were dining with the table next to us. We were there on a Friday night and the music in the Bar area was a great addition. I'd have dinner here again anytime I'm in Portsmouth! Plus they have their own parking lot so it was convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2013Our first time at Rudi's. They were able to seat us early which was fantastic. Food was outstanding as was our server. The only negatives on the evening were that it was our anniversary and the seating lacked intimacy. The other was waiting 20 minutes for dessert and then to be told that they ran out of one of the desserts we ordered. Our server did take the dessert charge off the bill though. To be fair, we would most certainly go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night at Rudi's!teedeeDined on 11/16/2013Enjoyed another wonderful evening at Rudi's on the last night of Restaurant Week 2013 in Portsmouth. Service and food were great. Always a little loud, but not enough to ruin the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceMarcVIPDined on 11/15/2013We were really looking forward to our experience based on other reviews. Got there at 7:15 for an 8:15 reservation, and were told by the hostess we wouldn't be seated until then (not bothering to mention why given the five open tables in the main dining area or the twenty in the adjoining area). We sat at the bar for drinks and an appetizer (both good). We checked on the table at 8:15, and were informed by the hostess that people were taking longer (again despite the fact there were multiple open tables). We weren't seated until almost 9. The food was decent but took too long. Service was OK. If a manager had come over to apologize, I wouldn't be wiring this review right now. Definitely would not go back.
- GreatKarenQDined on 11/15/2013Nice atmosphere...we went on a Friday evening in November and they had live music, a bass guitar and piano..very nice and romantic. They also had a wine bar which was great...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classicTastebudDined on 11/14/2013I had been meaning to try Rudi's for quite some time. Decor is elegant. Service was very attentive. The food was good, but not exceptional. Very we'll prepared but not interesting. I did the restaurant week menu. My guests all ordered from the regular menu. I had a chili cocoa rubbed pork that sounded amazing, but actually didn't have a lot of flavor. The mushroom risotto was excellent and my guests that had the beef tenderloin topped with Gorgonzola said it was cooked perfectly. The chocolate bunt cake was a great end to the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great bar & bartenders; decent foodchuckmac07VIPDined on 11/12/2013we ate at the bar since the restaurant had zero personality. great servers & nice decor in the bar. nice menu but food prep was heavily sauced & heavy handed. we'd go back to the bar, but ask them to go light on ANY sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rudi'ssteveDined on 11/9/2013Food was excellent, service was ok, not the best i've encountered but not the terrible. Noise level was much higher than i expected.Special Features: