474 3rd Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ruchisf.com/
- Phone: 4153928353
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm, Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm. Closed: Sunday
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Bryant
- Public Transit: Located within walking distance from Bart(Montgomery st), Caltrain station and Muni(Third st & Perry) systems.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Large & affordable parking lot right around the corner on Stillman Street. There is also plenty of street parking (meters run until 6 pm).
A word from Ruchi
Authentic south Indian Restaurant located in the heart of SOMA. South Indian cuisine is an elegant blend of flavors, seasoning, colors, fragrances,tastes and visual appeal. Recipes of the region typically begin with rice as a base ingredient, combining it with spices, coconut, tamarind, lentils and a variety of vegetables to create popular dishes such as dosas, idlis, vadas, and uttapams. The tastes of Ruchi are a collection of simple home-style flavors primarily from Andhra Pradesh and Tamilnadu in the south of India.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ruchi reviews from OpenTable diners
- Affordable Indian FoodTonyaEDined on 3/27/2014I was looking for a reasonably quiet, affordable spot to dine with a small group of colleagues, and Ruchi fit the bill. The food was what you'd expect for the price, the service was excellent, and the atmosphere was calm enough that we could focus on the conversation, instead of the vibe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its the best place in the city!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I really love this place. I have went there maybe close to 150+ times in the past 3 years. And I am not joking its a consistent once or twice a week for 3 years. The food here is just so good! I really love thair Chicken tikka masala. I highly recommend you go there right now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Indian GembritguyVIPDined on 8/3/2013Not a romantic restaurant but the food is what your coming for. Some of the best Indian food in San Francisco. Some regional dishes I have seen nowhere else. Dishes with sauces are the way to go- Tandoori is ok but it is the curries that really shine. Service is friendly and always attentive. They make you feel very comfortable and know you the second time you visit. Parking is available without any hassle in the evening as it is away from most of the residential part of SOMA. Great place to go on the way too or from the Baseball park.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourSDM4Dined on 4/22/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner with exceptional service from the staff as well as a personal welcome and menu recommendations from the owner. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Ruchi had amazing food! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Ruchi had amazing food! We had a large group (and had to almost double our group reservation the day of - they were so accommodating and friendly about it!), and shared a good number of items on the menu. From what I remember, the naan (garlic and plain, and paneer naan), lassi, chana masala, chicken tikka masala, coconut water in the coconut, samosa, and dosa were amazing! I know we had other things, but I can't remember everything! The staff at the restaurant are so friendly, and made us feel really welcome. The owner of the restaurant is so nice, too! Also, the food is very reasonably priced, especially for how good it is. We definitely plan to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There's nothing romantic --PaulDined on 12/10/2012There's nothing romantic -- this is a modest storefront restaurant in a marginal neighborhood -- and there weren't many people when we were there -- but the food is very authentic and tasty -- at least according to my friend who is from that area of India, and who was delighted with the items on the menu.
- South Indian Culinary HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2012Did our 10th Anniversary here because we LOVE South Indian foods. Spicy, authentic (wife just got back from Kerala & Tamil Nadu) and flavorful. Hands down the fish curry beats all curries in the city of any culture. Friendly staff who want to make you happy and full. Every dish a winner. I want to write a sterling review, but don't want it to be TOO discovered as prices are moderate and portions good sized.Special Features:
- Great Food, Mediocre LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/7/2012Ruchi had excellent food - I would recommend ordering many items and sharing them all. It is in a random and not very nice part of SOMA, but my friends and I walked there after going to MoMA and found it to be a hidden gem.Special Features:
- This is one of those "fabulousnnn1VIPDined on 3/14/2012This is one of those "fabulous for the price" places--homecooked Indian food--they make their own yogurt--the coconut rice--YUMMY--owner exceptionally accommodating.
- This restaurant is not in2wiceisniceDined on 3/10/2012This restaurant is not in the greatest location but once we sat down and met the owner we were captivated by her charm and welcoming attitude! She made many suggestions and we followed her advice. We ordered several appetizers, 2 entrees, coconut rice, raita, dessert, and drinks for 3 people and it was a feast! Idli Steamed rice and lentil cakes were great, and the Chole Samosa served in chickpea sauce w/ coriander & tamarind chutney, garnished with onions was the best I've ever had! The Chicken Tikka Masala Tandoor chicken in cream sauce was so great with Plain Naan for dipping! The Shrimp Curry Shrimp in tamarind and peanut sauce was also very good. The service was fantastic, the food very tasty! We will certainly return!Special Features:
- This was my first experiencedatheyDined on 1/6/2012This was my first experience w/ Southern Indian cooking but I was accompanied by a southern Indian and his wife. I would have almost been lost without their help but the waitress was also very helpful indicating if there were dishes that couldn't be made very mild or if that there was too much rice in the dishes ordered. Towards the end of the memal they were busy enough that they needed more than one waitress. It was a Friday night.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our Dinner!debbiemrosaDined on 12/17/2011We came here after seeing the Cirque du Soleil at the nearby AT&T Park. I was skeptical at first because I don't usually eat India food and I don't know a lot about it. My husband has eaten a lot more Indian food and he knows what to order but we also brought our 2 grown kids with us. We were all pleasantly surprised by how delicious the food was. We ordered quite a bit and everything was gone by the end of our meal. We ordered Naan (the garlic Naan is great). We also ordered the samosa, lamb curry, and several other dishes. It was all excellent. The waitress was friendly but it was a bit difficult to understand her English, however, we managed just fine. I would come back here again and I would recommend it to a friend!Special Features:
- Great South Indian home cookingjagzDined on 11/30/2011Great South Indian home cooking in a friendly neighborhood place. Interesting variety & wonderful flavors with fresh ingredients. Also great for lunch.Special Features:
- The Chicken Biryani was veryDubSFDined on 11/4/2011The Chicken Biryani was very good. The server is always very kind.Special Features:
- homestyle south india cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/10/2011homestyle south india cooking - fresh with clear flavors and interesting texturesSpecial Features:
- Ruchi has wonderful and uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/9/2011Ruchi has wonderful and unique South Indian specialties, many of which cannot be found elsewhere. The service was friendly and personable, and the atmosphere was welcoming and inviting. We really enjoyed our experience at Ruchi, and will definitely come back!Special Features:
- Great food, friendly prices.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/9/2011Great food, friendly prices. We'll definitely be back to try more dishes!
- We were randomly walking aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2011We were randomly walking around after going to the museum of modern art. We are not from san francisco and were in the mood for indian food. We used open table and found out ruchi was 3 blocks away. We would have never known it was there otherwise. The food and everything was amazing! Our favorite meal of the trip AND really reasonably priced. 3 of us ate for under 40 dollars! Its a rare find and we couldn't stop talking about the food for days!Special Features:
- The food at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2010The food at this restaurant is authentic, well prepared and delicious! The service is excellent and the ambiance is casual. I would highly recommend Ruchi to anyone who wants true Indian dining.Special Features: