505 12th Ave South
Nashville, TN 37203Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ru-sans.com/
- Phone: 6152528787
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday:4:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Gory Paparin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine Bar
A word from Ru San's
RU SAN"S, a name that always associated with Japanese Restaurant with young ambiance, loud music, casual dining, and the not expensive foods. Other than that, It offers around 500 menu to choose from, a Full Bar and promise of lots of fun. Try it!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ru San's reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (8)late-night find (7)special occasion (6)fit for foodies (6)hot spot (5)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- EhSimonestarrDined on 8/2/2014I've had better sushi but I've also had way worse. The service was slow but I think the guy was new and he was really nice. Everyone else in my party loved their food though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not overly impressedJohnnieDined on 7/26/2014This was my second time dining here. I love their lunch, and enjoyed the first time I went for dinner. However I don't know where the disconnect came into play after ordering my food. I was brought my entree before my appetizers, and we had to ask where our appetizer was. My partner was brought out an eel appetizer when he ordered uni. My sushi had no flavor at all. Even with being fried....nothing. The bartender was a jerk and seem to not have the time to be bothered with us. Over all I'll choose Thai Papaya next timeSpecial Features:
- Hit the spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Our waiter was awesome - friendly and personable and attentive. Meal was delicious and I actually likes the smaller rolls better, less sauce and easier to eat in a bite. Total bill was about $25 pp with tons of food and a large sake which is super reasonable and the free valet was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful menuJanstanDined on 6/28/2014Consistently good sushi. Great service. Ambience is lacking, though.Special Features:
- 1st ImpressionsDragonRollDined on 6/6/2014This was my first time trying this restaurant, i was not impressed. I ordered straight from the menu, no substitutions. Shrimp fried rice and an order of dragon roll...easy enough, but the shrimp fried rice was terrible! Even the waiter had to send it back and brought me a new order!! The dragon roll however was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014It was great. They were all really nice the second we walked through the door. Everything was delicious. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roach on the sushi bar next to platNatesvariableDined on 5/17/2014Manager offered 30% off and some free saki. Unacceptable!Special Features:
- Pass on this oneFoodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014First of all, be aware that your Open Table reservation may not be something the host knows how to access and that your Open Table Certificate may be confusing to the staff. Secondly, the rolls here sound good and are innovative. However, the choices we made (Two Specials and Two Standards and Sashimi) weren't executed well for two reasons: thinest/smallest amount of fish of my vast sushi experience and sauces/dressings are over used to the point of the rolls "swimming" Frankly, I would't return or refer people here for sushi or sashimi.
- Lots of optionsShoppingGuruDined on 5/8/2014Extensive menu. We were a group of 6 and ordered TONS of different sushi rolls and a few nigiri sushi (all tasted fresh). Service was good. Overall, i recommend you try it!Special Features:
- The following 49 reviews are from the Ru San's reviews archive.
- Good group eventSkinashvilleDined on 3/1/2014I planned to eat here as part of my friends bachelorette weekend. We had made our reservation for 12 but had 10 show. We had a large table that was perfect so everyone could interact. They were very accommodating toward our group. I would go here again if planning a similar event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group settingiEATaLOTDined on 2/25/2014We had a group of 15 and wanted somewhere that was fun and laid back. The service and food were good but that wasn't all of our focus. We wanted a place that had top 40 music kinda loud but not too loud like a bar. It was a perfect place for this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi and Sashimi SuccessNateDined on 2/21/2014Fantastic service, reasonable prices, and an extensive food and beverage menu. Sushi was crafted to perfection and the presentation of the food was spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014We really enjoyed the experience we had at Ru San's. The server was great to point out menu options and the sushi was fantastic. Our server was very busy and we had to wave him down a few times but overall excellent experience. Not a place for a quiet romantic dinner but for a fun evening it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible!!!AllisonDined on 2/15/2014Let's start with the hostess...we made reservations for 4, but last min decided to have 5 for dinner. Showed up 30 min before our reservation so we could inform the changes. You would have thought we told her we were having 10 people!!! So rude about the addition!! Second....our waiter, it took him nearly 15 min to ask us if we wanted any beverages. He was slow on getting us refills & did not know the menu when we had questions. I wanted a very particular item he told me was available only to find out it was not. Next, we were charged a 18% gratuity for having a party of 5....most places it's 8 & above! Food was not consistent several of the same items were purchased & none of them looked similar. Bad experience from start to finish!
- Amazing Valentine's DatekerrickmichaelDined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I just recently got back together and we both enjoy a more fun, high-energy atmosphere and Ru-San's definitely has that. Very fast paced place and constant club music may not be what some look for in an Asian restaurant....but with some shots or just some drinks and a group or someone you can have fun with this place is great. AMAZING food, she had the best chicken fried rice I've ever tasted and I had some type of spicy tuna roll and some fried calamari- both of which went amazingly with a Sapporo and some water :) 9 out of 10 -- the highest rating I'll give on a restaurant ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We LOVE Ru Sans! It is theELMFDM122Dined on 2/14/2014We LOVE Ru Sans! It is the very best Sushi in Nashville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ExcellentVIPDined on 2/8/2014I cannot believe we have not tried Ru San's. This restaurant is excellent. The sushi was great. The volcanic trio of tuna sashimi was out of this world! The crispy crab roll was prepared perfectly. The fried ice cream was excellent as well and is large enough for 2. The menu was creative and extensive. The atmosphere is rather loud but the food is the star.Special Features:
- our server was great & hermsvaughanDined on 2/5/2014our server was great & her suggestions were spot on. the food was outstanding. the restaurant had an odor that wasn't very appealing.
- Could've been bettersushiguru1122Dined on 1/25/2014We chose to eat here for my boyfriends 30th bday...we weren't a HUGE group..only 12 of us. The food was great, as always, but the service was terrible. It took 35 minutes to get our sake...I told them clearly it was his bday, and even when the reservation was made that it was his bday, yet nothing was still done to "celebrate". We went in and spent a lot of money...i just wish the experience had been a little different. Definitely not a great first impression for the few who had never been. Wouldn't recommend it as a "group" celebration place. However, food was great ...definitely the place to go if you're a sushi lover.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we made it!meekmeekDined on 12/31/2013Wasn't sure we were going to make this reservation, but after arriving I was definitely glad. The food was good and the ambiance was even better. I had been told to eat here for years but never got a chance too. Now that I live in another state, I will be visiting another location for the same experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointingncoble4Dined on 12/31/2013Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing, but my food was pretty disappointing. I ordered the bacon wrapped scallops (supposedly a top seller) and they came out overcooked with more bacon than scallop on the little skewers. The bed of veggies and rice was okay, but the main feature was gross. The drinks were also pretty disappointing. I will say the one sushi roll we got was decent.Special Features:
- Holiday Get TogetherPDSHERMDined on 12/21/2013We had a party of 8. Our waiter was fabulous. Service we very good. Music a little loud. Had a hard time having conversation. Food was good. Love the area. Fine place to have a cocktail and a little sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I talked about it!Curious4cuisineDined on 12/20/2013Back home (Charlotte, NC), the Ru San's there is amazing. I assumed this one would be too. The sushi selection did not disappoint. My friends were ecstatic to have so many options from which to choose. One guy even had seared tuna just because he loves it so much. To their credit, the good folks at Ru San's cooked it exactly how he wanted it. I personally have no complaints- we received exactly what we wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemWolfgangVIPDined on 11/27/2013Next to high rises and contemporary restaurants, boot shops and lots of traffic, sits this restaurant. Small front, but deep room and definitely a great affordable menu. Good beer selection and great service staff. I haven't had tuna so fresh and tender in a long timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and great funSakesakesakebombDined on 11/9/2013Had the best time at RuSans this past Sat. We had a large group of 14 and were ordering a lot of food and alcohol... Any server knows that is a LOT to keep up with. Our server was so organized and great about splitting our checks. He had a great personality and was so much fun for everyone- definitely kept us feeling festive. We will be back for sure-- and request him!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, lousy serviceFood4thoughtDined on 9/27/2013Ru San's has some of the best sushi for the money that you can find in Nashville. The biggest downfall to this place has to be their service. It is very hit or miss everytime you go. The last time I was their we waited over 10 minutes before someone came and asked for our drink orders. Other than that, the sushi is good, the price is fair, and it's very energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ru San'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2013Good sushi; nice staff; a fun place to eat. I've been several times and will probably go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first time therePerkamontyVIPDined on 6/30/2013This was our first time there and we will definitely go back! My husband's sushi was very good and there was a large selection. I had the miso marinated sea bass and it was on of the best I ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualzrenfroVIPDined on 6/26/2013When we went to Ru Sans last, the food was good but not great (which is unusual for this restaurant). Was extremely hot and muggy inside. Pretty sure either they didn't have the AC on or it was broken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall so-so...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/24/2013Appetizers came after dinner, need I say more?..... Sushi was good, udon not so good. Don't expect Japanese people here...owners, chefs or customers. A/ C was broken...not a good thing in June ...in Nashville
- Ru-San's never disappoints!TravelSmart51Dined on 6/17/2013Ru-San's has some unusual and interesting sushi, but I always order from their Pacific Rim menu. They have some incredible fish and shrimp dishes. My favorites are the wasabi potato noodle crusted shrimp with oyster sauce and the bacon wrapped scallops with plum sauce. Also a really delicious swordfish lightly brushed with curry and grilled... not too strong on the curry. Average little salad comes with the dinners plus miso soup that is one of the best I've tasted. Servers are friendly and helpful with suggestions. It is one of my go-to places when dining before shows are concerts downtown. Love that they have free valet parking as parking in the Gulch would be difficult without it. You should give it a try!Special Features:
- The food was excellent! TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2013The food was excellent! The sushi was very fresh and there was a huge menu to choose from. The waitress was okay and could have been a bit friendlier but overall an excellent choice. It was worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi123abcVIPDined on 5/19/2013The restaurant was a recommendation from the front desk at the hotel we were staying at & it was a great find. Service was pleasant, & consistent. The specialty sushi rolls were unique combinations & very flavorful. They were not over stuffed with rice, but instead were filled with very fresh fish. If we lived in the area this would be our new weekly sushi restaurant. We will return on our next visit to Nashville.Special Features:
- loud but goodE10itallDined on 5/18/2013The food was very good and priced very well for Japanese. It is definitely aimed towards the younger crowd. The music is loud so be prepared to speak up.Special Features:
- America Re-Rising Roll!MarlabenetVIPDined on 5/8/2013The waiter was so helpful in his suggestions for our experience, having never been to this establishment before! Don't leave here without having the "America Re-Rising Roll!"Special Features:
- Very fun environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013I very much enjoyed my experience at this restaurant. We were seated in the back at a large long table. It was perfect for our party. The restaurant serves Sake Bombs and everyone yells out right before you take them. Very fun!! I wasn't a fan of my sushi but the menu is so0o0 big I wasn't really sure what to order. The Edamame and Tiger Shrimp was my favorite food of the meal. I would def recommend this restaurant for a fun time with friends. Its energetic before a night out on the town!Special Features:
- This is my 3rd visit to RuSan's.MlsweeDined on 3/19/2013This is my 3rd visit to RuSan's. Everything about this visit was just OK. Not bad, not outstanding.Special Features:
- This is a great place! askCaptainVinneyDined on 2/22/2013This is a great place! ask about the saki BOMBS!! they are a blast and lots of other patrons join in. Sushi is excellent, and a widest range of menu I have seen anywhere. Even if your not a sushi fan, there is plenty of fantastic selections available! Staff is Excellent!Special Features:
- Love Ru San'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2013Everyone loves sushi here but I've never tried it. I can't seem to get past looking at the Pacific Rim menu. Everything on there is unique and delicious. I especially love the Wasabi encrusted prawns with oyster sauce and the bacon wrapped scallops with plum sauce.Special Features:
- I didn't find anything specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2013I didn't find anything special about this place. It's prices are typical of the Gulch scene but the sushi is only standard, nothing to write home about. The music was very club like and the playlist only consisted of a handful of songs. We had looped it three or four times while eating with a group of friends.Special Features: