3804 Mt. Vernon Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22305Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rtsrestaurant.net/
- Phone: (703) 684-6010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Ralph Davis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private full service, tablecloth dining room adjacent to main dining room accommodating parties up to 50 people. Separate restroom facilities
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Galvin 7036846010
A word from RT's Restaurant
RT's Alexandria's renowned neighborhood restaurant has been the place for fresh seafood in Northern Virginia for over 26 years. RT's has been a fixture on the Washingtonian Magazine's "Top 100 Restaurants" list in the metropolitan area and is one of the highest rated seafood restaurants in the nationally acclaimed "Zagat Survey". Their unique menu features many Creole and Cajun specialties including Jack Daniel's Shrimp, Spicy She-Crab Soup, Cajun Veal Oscar and their popular Crawfish Etouffee. This "Little Gem" is located in the heart of Alexandria and not only features a great menu but also has an extensive special list that changes on a weekly basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
RT's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (93)fit for foodies (54)good for groups (32)great for lunch (24)special occasion (21)notable wine list (13)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (6)romantic (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always ReliablepartridgepegVIPDined on 11/22/2014RT's has been in the neighborhood longer than most of it's residents, but it has kept up with the times very well. The food is always top quality and prepared extremely well. The emphasis has always been on the cooking of New Orleans, and according to those who know is very authentic. As for me, I just know that everything on the menu is just right for my taste. We try to get back to this restaurant often, (not as often as we would like); and if a friend is lucky we bring them along. Margaret K. RyersonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old ReliableDaveVIPDined on 11/20/2014We are frequent patrons of RT's because the food is always great and the staff is excellent. The restaurant has a faithful clientele, which is a testament to how good it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and delicioushrpabloDined on 11/15/2014The food here is absolutely delicious. Whenever friends are in town, I take them to RTs. They loved the food so much they wanted to come back again and again. One friend is already planning his next trip and what he's going to order. The service is top notch and professional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicous Cajun food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/13/2014What a great surprise! We were staying at National Harbor and on our way were wondering why we had decided to drive 20 minutes to this restaurant - but it was absolutely worth it. Nothing to speak of regarding location or decor, but the service was very good and the food was excellent. It is hard to find good Cajun food outside of New Orleans, and this satisfied our cravings. Shrimp and crab beignets were 3 big fritters with a delicious mayo; shrimp and crab etouffee was great, and the fried oyster salad was enormous. Could not find room for dessert, but the menu looked delicious. Not too spicy but lots of good flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Open Table for sending us to RT'sSteveDined on 11/12/2014Unassuming from the outside, RT's is a great find. We tasted the gumbo, the etouffe and the crab imperial. All were great and much better than we expected. The pumpkin pie with cinnamon ice cream and caramel sauce was also excellent. No pretentious yuppie decor here, but the art decorating the walls is not corporate or institutional in any way; the art is better than just about any restaurant in the area. The service is friendly, knowledgeable and just the right amount of attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding menu, so many choices!beepsDined on 11/11/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants and it never disappoints. The wait staff is very obliging and is happy to split up salads, for instance. Everything is so good that it is hard to decide on what to enjoy! The cream of crab soup is fantastic and their oysters divine. It's always fun to start at the bar and they make delicious cocktails. Love, love, love RTs!Special Features:
- Great foodThayerpDined on 11/11/2014Ambiance is ok but the food is really good. You have many options (almost too many). I would definitely go back for the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantPenguinDined on 11/10/2014Fantastic restaurant with exceptional food. Love, love, love the smothered catfish, crawfish/shrimp etouffee, all the oyster appetizers, all the soups/stews, the bread pudding--- getting hungry just thinking about it again!Special Features:
- Dependable and deliciousAlexDinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014When in search of southern food or seafood, you can't go wrong at RTs. Seafood is fresh and well prepared and portion sizes are ample. Wait staff is friendly but not overly attentive. Save room for killer desserts!Special Features:
- RT's RestaurantrdbarcDined on 11/2/2014Good food, good wine selection, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BusinessLunchCantGetEnoughDined on 10/28/2014Such a large menu choice all great choices. We have staff luncheon here a lot and staff enjoy the selection of food.Special Features:
- Delish, love RT's!MiddlebrowfoodieDined on 10/26/2014During my last few visits, I've noticed that RTs seems to be attracting an older crowd these days. I suppose that the menu is a bit old fashioned. But RTs has been around for a long time, and the quality of their food has remained constantly high for the fifteen years or so since I discovered the place for myself. If you like Cajun style seafood, you will love RT's! If you're on a diet, go someplace else!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANewOrleancuisinegemDined on 10/25/2014If you love food with a Cajun flare this is the perfect place. There is a large selection of many famous New Orleans dishes but they also had many other choices. The only dissapointment was the fact that everything was al a carte and we thought that almost $8 for a side salad was a bit much. The catfish smothered with shrimp etouffee was wonderful. Be sure and make reservations as this is not a large restaurant. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- New Orleans' stylefigsdineoutDined on 10/18/2014This is a good place to eat. The ambiance is okay (decorations are a bit weird...there's one in the dining room that's, well, ghastly). The staff is very friendly and accommodating and the food's not bad. My wife and I love New Orleans, so we like to go here when we get a hankering for Cajun. We shared a half dozen oysters on the half shell and the Oysters Three Ways to start. The oysters are superb by the way. Fresh, clean, and sweet. Not briny at all. I had the Spicy Crawfish w/ red beans and rice. My wife had the Shrimp Etouffee. Both were tasty. Mind you, it's not gourmet, but it is very good food. The crowd is mostly "older" so it's easy enough to have a conversation without shouting. We recommend it. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Love this place!MagentagirlVIPDined on 10/17/2014Visit RT's each and everytime we visit DC. Consistently yummy and comfortable. A great neighborhood spot with a most amazing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Place for Creole Eats!Critic4gfoodVIPDined on 10/17/2014Another great meal. Enjoyed the mussels appetizer….yum yum along with the arugula salad with carmelized pecans, crumbled blue cheese, and diced apples. For dinner, I had the Oysters Nezpique entree and my husband had the Southern Fried Catfish entree. Overall, another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a taste you cant beatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The entire night was amazing. We found it on our honeymoon and could not have been more pleased. The service was outstanding, and the food speaks for itself. Wish they would open one in Texas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hilleaterDined on 10/16/2014New Orleans lives in suburban Alexandria, with a throw-back menu that's heavy on rich and flavorful dishes. Terrific service, too.Special Features:
- Great Find!MandiDined on 10/12/2014Had never heard of RT's and sort of disappointed this great place was so close and I had no idea it existed. Our waitress was pretty new to the establishment but she was such a sweetie and helpful. The food was so tasty. Had shrimp and crab etouffe and my father had the same but with crawfish. We also tried the alligator soup and I had a salad with this yummy dressing. Can't WAIT to return!Special Features:
- So good, it could be in New OrleansDCTCADined on 10/11/2014All three of us have lived there. Anyone who knows what that means must go to RT's.Special Features:
- Comfort food served with a smileamrorerDined on 10/8/2014The she-crab soup was lovely (with a splash of sherry) and the crab cake entree was more than enough with side salad (perfectly dressed!) and tasty french fries and some house wine. Our server's good mood and friendliness rounded out the meal nicely.Special Features:
- nitoshiVIPDined on 10/6/2014Fabulous crab cakes! Relaxed and welcoming atmosphere-will definitely head there again.Special Features:
- FANTASTICDHnDCDined on 10/2/2014I first learned of RT's 2 years ago and finally got the chance to experience the restaurant's awesomeness. The food took me to the bayou in a way that I thought I could only get by going to the Bayou. FANTASTIC FANTASTIC FANTASTICSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I enjoyed a great meal at RTs. If you're looking for seafood, this is the place for it. In addition, the service was excellent--not too intrusive, but attentive.Special Features:
- Luv2eatLuv2eatDined on 9/18/2014Food is amazing. Service is great . Love the atmosphere of the restaurant ! Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CissyDined on 9/13/2014Would have gotten the highest ratings if the oysters had been bigger. Overall, a great fish restaurant.Special Features:
- css44VIPDined on 9/12/2014We live in the neighborhood but had completely forgotten about RT's. There street appeal is not great but the friendliness and the staff and their knowledge about the food, menu and specials is first rate. Go for the baked oysters - can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RTs, a dependable establishmentOminvoreDined on 9/5/2014RTs has always been, and continues to be, a reliably good restaurant. The food and service lack little to be desired. Nothing more needs stating. I'll go back.Special Features:
- consistencyAlexDinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014If you are looking for a consistent dining experience, look no forward. Always - great food, intriguing specials, comfortable surroundings, a noise level that allows you to talk - all that and more. Our latest dinner was no exception - took an out of town friend for authentic creole. Huge hit - the only criticism, I think I know what I want when I walk in...but the specials tempt me to change my mind.Special Features:
- New Orleans in the DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2014Every Bite Was Excellent!! Very friendly and accommodating staff.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, mediocre servicebusinessluncherVIPDined on 8/30/2014For the first time, RT's disappointed on service. Server was slow, despite having only two other parties in the restaurant at the time. She missed bringing us an appetizer. Food as always was amazing, great flavors, well prepared, fresh and flavorful. We will be back - every server has an off day.Special Features:
- Perfectly-cooked seafoodUnpersonDined on 8/29/2014The chef and cooks know precisely how long to cook all their seafood (undercooking is rarely a problem; it's always overcooking). The etouffee rivals what I ate at Bon Ton Cafe in New Orleans.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Best She-crab soup ever! Wonderful service and great food and drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went for restaurant weekFoodieDined on 8/24/2014We went for restaurant week and thought it was two for $35 however it was $35 per person therefore it was a little pricey:( The appetizers were good (fried green tomatoes and crawfish and shrimp beignets) the entrée was New Orleans Steak and Frites which was great:) My entrée was the shrimp and crawfish Etouffee which was way too fishy for me:( the waitress was very nice and very prompt. The chocolate mousse was awesome but the Melvin's coconut cake was a little dry and would be better if it was a chocolate cake.Special Features:
- Neighborhood surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014My husband has been telling me what a great place RT's was. We finally went together the other night. Casual environment and the food was outstanding. Service could not have been better.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service was perfect. The waitress was extremely knowledgable and gracious. Strongly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent winner.LikeGoodFoodDined on 8/23/2014Food excellent as always. Service was great. Neighborhood restaurant of exceptional quality. Neighborhood a little sketchy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ReliablepartridgepegVIPDined on 8/23/2014RTs is known for it's seafood and Cajun cooking, and it never fails to live up to the high standards it started with many years ago. If you haven't tried one of their Cajun dishes you should -- all of them are terrific. There is something for everyone and their soups are especially good. In fact, a soup and Po Boy would satisfy any taste for a great lunch.Special Features:
- great food!ena1Dined on 8/22/2014been here several times the food always meets my expectations!! this time they seemed to rush out due to the crowds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014Some friends and I had dinner during Restsurant week and food was just alright and service was good, but I loved the coconut cake though. Just not what I expected and not worth the drive from MD.