3804 Mt. Vernon Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22305Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rtsrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 7036846010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Ralph Davis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private full service, tablecloth dining room adjacent to main dining room accommodating parties up to 50 people. Separate restroom facilities
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Galvin 7036846010
A word from RT's Restaurant
RT's Alexandria's renowned neighborhood restaurant has been the place for fresh seafood in Northern Virginia for over 26 years. RT's has been a fixture on the Washingtonian Magazine's "Top 100 Restaurants" list in the metropolitan area and is one of the highest rated seafood restaurants in the nationally acclaimed "Zagat Survey". Their unique menu features many Creole and Cajun specialties including Jack Daniel's Shrimp, Spicy She-Crab Soup, Cajun Veal Oscar and their popular Crawfish Etouffee. This "Little Gem" is located in the heart of Alexandria and not only features a great menu but also has an extensive special list that changes on a weekly basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
RT's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
RT's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (84)fit for foodies (49)good for groups (25)great for lunch (24)special occasion (21)late-night find (13)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- ANewOrleancuisinegemDined on 10/25/2014If you love food with a Cajun flare this is the perfect place. There is a large selection of many famous New Orleans dishes but they also had many other choices. The only dissapointment was the fact that everything was al a carte and we thought that almost $8 for a side salad was a bit much. The catfish smothered with shrimp etouffee was wonderful. Be sure and make reservations as this is not a large restaurant. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- New Orleans' stylefigsdineoutDined on 10/18/2014This is a good place to eat. The ambiance is okay (decorations are a bit weird...there's one in the dining room that's, well, ghastly). The staff is very friendly and accommodating and the food's not bad. My wife and I love New Orleans, so we like to go here when we get a hankering for Cajun. We shared a half dozen oysters on the half shell and the Oysters Three Ways to start. The oysters are superb by the way. Fresh, clean, and sweet. Not briny at all. I had the Spicy Crawfish w/ red beans and rice. My wife had the Shrimp Etouffee. Both were tasty. Mind you, it's not gourmet, but it is very good food. The crowd is mostly "older" so it's easy enough to have a conversation without shouting. We recommend it. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Love this place!MagentagirlVIPDined on 10/17/2014Visit RT's each and everytime we visit DC. Consistently yummy and comfortable. A great neighborhood spot with a most amazing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Place for Creole Eats!Critic4gfoodVIPDined on 10/17/2014Another great meal. Enjoyed the mussels appetizer….yum yum along with the arugula salad with carmelized pecans, crumbled blue cheese, and diced apples. For dinner, I had the Oysters Nezpique entree and my husband had the Southern Fried Catfish entree. Overall, another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a taste you cant beatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The entire night was amazing. We found it on our honeymoon and could not have been more pleased. The service was outstanding, and the food speaks for itself. Wish they would open one in Texas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hilleaterDined on 10/16/2014New Orleans lives in suburban Alexandria, with a throw-back menu that's heavy on rich and flavorful dishes. Terrific service, too.Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014Had never heard of RT's and sort of disappointed this great place was so close and I had no idea it existed. Our waitress was pretty new to the establishment but she was such a sweetie and helpful. The food was so tasty. Had shrimp and crab etouffe and my father had the same but with crawfish. We also tried the alligator soup and I had a salad with this yummy dressing. Can't WAIT to return!Special Features:
- So good, it could be in New OrleansDCTCADined on 10/11/2014All three of us have lived there. Anyone who knows what that means must go to RT's.Special Features:
- Comfort food served with a smileamrorerDined on 10/8/2014The she-crab soup was lovely (with a splash of sherry) and the crab cake entree was more than enough with side salad (perfectly dressed!) and tasty french fries and some house wine. Our server's good mood and friendliness rounded out the meal nicely.Special Features:
- nitoshiVIPDined on 10/6/2014Fabulous crab cakes! Relaxed and welcoming atmosphere-will definitely head there again.Special Features:
- FANTASTICDHnDCDined on 10/2/2014I first learned of RT's 2 years ago and finally got the chance to experience the restaurant's awesomeness. The food took me to the bayou in a way that I thought I could only get by going to the Bayou. FANTASTIC FANTASTIC FANTASTICSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014My husband and I enjoyed a great meal at RTs. If you're looking for seafood, this is the place for it. In addition, the service was excellent--not too intrusive, but attentive.Special Features:
- Luv2eatLuv2eatDined on 9/18/2014Food is amazing. Service is great . Love the atmosphere of the restaurant ! Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CissyDined on 9/13/2014Would have gotten the highest ratings if the oysters had been bigger. Overall, a great fish restaurant.Special Features:
- css44VIPDined on 9/12/2014We live in the neighborhood but had completely forgotten about RT's. There street appeal is not great but the friendliness and the staff and their knowledge about the food, menu and specials is first rate. Go for the baked oysters - can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RTs, a dependable establishmentOminvoreDined on 9/5/2014RTs has always been, and continues to be, a reliably good restaurant. The food and service lack little to be desired. Nothing more needs stating. I'll go back.Special Features:
- consistencyAlexDinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014If you are looking for a consistent dining experience, look no forward. Always - great food, intriguing specials, comfortable surroundings, a noise level that allows you to talk - all that and more. Our latest dinner was no exception - took an out of town friend for authentic creole. Huge hit - the only criticism, I think I know what I want when I walk in...but the specials tempt me to change my mind.Special Features:
- New Orleans in the DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2014Every Bite Was Excellent!! Very friendly and accommodating staff.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, mediocre servicebusinessluncherDined on 8/30/2014For the first time, RT's disappointed on service. Server was slow, despite having only two other parties in the restaurant at the time. She missed bringing us an appetizer. Food as always was amazing, great flavors, well prepared, fresh and flavorful. We will be back - every server has an off day.Special Features:
- Perfectly-cooked seafoodUnpersonDined on 8/29/2014The chef and cooks know precisely how long to cook all their seafood (undercooking is rarely a problem; it's always overcooking). The etouffee rivals what I ate at Bon Ton Cafe in New Orleans.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Best She-crab soup ever! Wonderful service and great food and drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went for restaurant weekFoodieDined on 8/24/2014We went for restaurant week and thought it was two for $35 however it was $35 per person therefore it was a little pricey:( The appetizers were good (fried green tomatoes and crawfish and shrimp beignets) the entrée was New Orleans Steak and Frites which was great:) My entrée was the shrimp and crawfish Etouffee which was way too fishy for me:( the waitress was very nice and very prompt. The chocolate mousse was awesome but the Melvin's coconut cake was a little dry and would be better if it was a chocolate cake.Special Features:
- Neighborhood surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014My husband has been telling me what a great place RT's was. We finally went together the other night. Casual environment and the food was outstanding. Service could not have been better.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service was perfect. The waitress was extremely knowledgable and gracious. Strongly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent winner.LikeGoodFoodDined on 8/23/2014Food excellent as always. Service was great. Neighborhood restaurant of exceptional quality. Neighborhood a little sketchy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ReliablepartridgepegVIPDined on 8/23/2014RTs is known for it's seafood and Cajun cooking, and it never fails to live up to the high standards it started with many years ago. If you haven't tried one of their Cajun dishes you should -- all of them are terrific. There is something for everyone and their soups are especially good. In fact, a soup and Po Boy would satisfy any taste for a great lunch.Special Features:
- great food!ena1Dined on 8/22/2014been here several times the food always meets my expectations!! this time they seemed to rush out due to the crowds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014Some friends and I had dinner during Restsurant week and food was just alright and service was good, but I loved the coconut cake though. Just not what I expected and not worth the drive from MD.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014A wonderful dining experience. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Always a TreatMSESQDined on 8/17/2014RT's in Del Ray is the friendly "funky place" we take our visitors from around the country and the world for crab dishes. RT's Special Lump Crab entree and RT's Soft Shell Crabs are always a delight, as are the Crawfish and Shrimp Beignets. The casual and welcoming atmosphere make dining at RT's a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like good food you eat hereLuvcfoodDined on 8/16/2014This is a great restaurant. The food and service is excellent. They have a great menu selection. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentDrsJVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food and service are excellent. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Cute neighborhood findDiningDorsVIPDined on 8/12/2014Good Cajun food, not so great neighborhood but closeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best cajun aroundstapelzVIPDined on 8/11/2014We came back again and she remembered us :) Kat made some wonderful drinks and also helped in getting us the specialty entree of soft shell crabs as an app. The crab was delicious. I ended up ordering the Fried Catfish and it was perfect. I was torn between that and another dish and Kat said get it and I wasn't disappointed. A wonderful night again.Special Features:
- Not quite as good as beforeChachDined on 8/11/2014A little disappointed in this visit. Party of 3. Two had fish entrees which were quite good. 3rd had the "Death by gumbo" which was quite mediocre. Not up to usual standard. Portions of seafood were skimpy at best and the sauce lacked any kick at all. Will try once more, but it will need to return to its previous standard if I am to continue to patronize.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/9/2014Good service, reasonable menu, though high proportion of fried items. The building is ugly, the neighborhood contested.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014Waitress was very helpful explaining the specials and how food items were prepared and spiciness. Her name was Mary and she was very attentive.Special Features:
- RT's RestaurantIluvtapasDined on 8/2/2014I am from New Orleans and I was impressed with all the dishes I ordered, especially the oysters on the half shell. The only one disappointment was the side of Red Beans that I ordered, they tasted more like a meat chili - Not the red beans that I am used to in New Orleans.Special Features:
- Great Service n FoodJnAlDined on 7/31/2014The She Crab Soup was amazing!! Fried oysters and fish was great also!! The other dish was étouffée over fried catfish n rice, which was awesome!! A taste of the South in the North!! Loved!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice eveningnknm235Dined on 7/29/2014The cuisine is very special. Cajun menu, not very often found in this area. Food was well prepared and nicely presented. Portions are generous. Welcome staff and wait staff are very nice, knowledgeable, and attentive. We appreciated our waitress', Mary's, comments and attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.