3804 Mt. Vernon Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22305Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rtsrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 7036846010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Ralph Davis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private full service, tablecloth dining room adjacent to main dining room accommodating parties up to 50 people. Separate restroom facilities
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Galvin 7036846010
A word from RT's Restaurant
RT's Alexandria's renowned neighborhood restaurant has been the place for fresh seafood in Northern Virginia for over 26 years. RT's has been a fixture on the Washingtonian Magazine's "Top 100 Restaurants" list in the metropolitan area and is one of the highest rated seafood restaurants in the nationally acclaimed "Zagat Survey". Their unique menu features many Creole and Cajun specialties including Jack Daniel's Shrimp, Spicy She-Crab Soup, Cajun Veal Oscar and their popular Crawfish Etouffee. This "Little Gem" is located in the heart of Alexandria and not only features a great menu but also has an extensive special list that changes on a weekly basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
RT's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
RT's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)fit for foodies (45)great for lunch (21)good for groups (20)special occasion (20)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (5)romantic (2)Show More
- CissyDined on 9/13/2014Would have gotten the highest ratings if the oysters had been bigger. Overall, a great fish restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014We live in the neighborhood but had completely forgotten about RT's. There street appeal is not great but the friendliness and the staff and their knowledge about the food, menu and specials is first rate. Go for the baked oysters - can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RTs, a dependable establishmentOminvoreDined on 9/5/2014RTs has always been, and continues to be, a reliably good restaurant. The food and service lack little to be desired. Nothing more needs stating. I'll go back.Special Features:
- consistencyAlexDinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014If you are looking for a consistent dining experience, look no forward. Always - great food, intriguing specials, comfortable surroundings, a noise level that allows you to talk - all that and more. Our latest dinner was no exception - took an out of town friend for authentic creole. Huge hit - the only criticism, I think I know what I want when I walk in...but the specials tempt me to change my mind.Special Features:
- New Orleans in the DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/2/2014Every Bite Was Excellent!! Very friendly and accommodating staff.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, mediocre servicebusinessluncherDined on 8/30/2014For the first time, RT's disappointed on service. Server was slow, despite having only two other parties in the restaurant at the time. She missed bringing us an appetizer. Food as always was amazing, great flavors, well prepared, fresh and flavorful. We will be back - every server has an off day.Special Features:
- Perfectly-cooked seafoodUnpersonDined on 8/29/2014The chef and cooks know precisely how long to cook all their seafood (undercooking is rarely a problem; it's always overcooking). The etouffee rivals what I ate at Bon Ton Cafe in New Orleans.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Best She-crab soup ever! Wonderful service and great food and drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went for restaurant weekFoodieDined on 8/24/2014We went for restaurant week and thought it was two for $35 however it was $35 per person therefore it was a little pricey:( The appetizers were good (fried green tomatoes and crawfish and shrimp beignets) the entrée was New Orleans Steak and Frites which was great:) My entrée was the shrimp and crawfish Etouffee which was way too fishy for me:( the waitress was very nice and very prompt. The chocolate mousse was awesome but the Melvin's coconut cake was a little dry and would be better if it was a chocolate cake.Special Features:
- Neighborhood surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014My husband has been telling me what a great place RT's was. We finally went together the other night. Casual environment and the food was outstanding. Service could not have been better.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The food and service was perfect. The waitress was extremely knowledgable and gracious. Strongly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent winner.LikeGoodFoodDined on 8/23/2014Food excellent as always. Service was great. Neighborhood restaurant of exceptional quality. Neighborhood a little sketchy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ReliablepartridgepegVIPDined on 8/23/2014RTs is known for it's seafood and Cajun cooking, and it never fails to live up to the high standards it started with many years ago. If you haven't tried one of their Cajun dishes you should -- all of them are terrific. There is something for everyone and their soups are especially good. In fact, a soup and Po Boy would satisfy any taste for a great lunch.Special Features:
- great food!ena1Dined on 8/22/2014been here several times the food always meets my expectations!! this time they seemed to rush out due to the crowds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/22/2014Some friends and I had dinner during Restsurant week and food was just alright and service was good, but I loved the coconut cake though. Just not what I expected and not worth the drive from MD.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014A wonderful dining experience. Great food and service.Special Features:
- Always a TreatMSESQDined on 8/17/2014RT's in Del Ray is the friendly "funky place" we take our visitors from around the country and the world for crab dishes. RT's Special Lump Crab entree and RT's Soft Shell Crabs are always a delight, as are the Crawfish and Shrimp Beignets. The casual and welcoming atmosphere make dining at RT's a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like good food you eat hereLuvcfoodDined on 8/16/2014This is a great restaurant. The food and service is excellent. They have a great menu selection. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentDrsJVIPDined on 8/14/2014Food and service are excellent. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Cute neighborhood findDiningDorsVIPDined on 8/12/2014Good Cajun food, not so great neighborhood but closeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best cajun aroundstapelzVIPDined on 8/11/2014We came back again and she remembered us :) Kat made some wonderful drinks and also helped in getting us the specialty entree of soft shell crabs as an app. The crab was delicious. I ended up ordering the Fried Catfish and it was perfect. I was torn between that and another dish and Kat said get it and I wasn't disappointed. A wonderful night again.Special Features:
- Not quite as good as beforeChachDined on 8/11/2014A little disappointed in this visit. Party of 3. Two had fish entrees which were quite good. 3rd had the "Death by gumbo" which was quite mediocre. Not up to usual standard. Portions of seafood were skimpy at best and the sauce lacked any kick at all. Will try once more, but it will need to return to its previous standard if I am to continue to patronize.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/9/2014Good service, reasonable menu, though high proportion of fried items. The building is ugly, the neighborhood contested.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014Waitress was very helpful explaining the specials and how food items were prepared and spiciness. Her name was Mary and she was very attentive.Special Features:
- RT's RestaurantIluvtapasDined on 8/2/2014I am from New Orleans and I was impressed with all the dishes I ordered, especially the oysters on the half shell. The only one disappointment was the side of Red Beans that I ordered, they tasted more like a meat chili - Not the red beans that I am used to in New Orleans.Special Features:
- Great Service n FoodJnAlDined on 7/31/2014The She Crab Soup was amazing!! Fried oysters and fish was great also!! The other dish was étouffée over fried catfish n rice, which was awesome!! A taste of the South in the North!! Loved!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice eveningnknm235Dined on 7/29/2014The cuisine is very special. Cajun menu, not very often found in this area. Food was well prepared and nicely presented. Portions are generous. Welcome staff and wait staff are very nice, knowledgeable, and attentive. We appreciated our waitress', Mary's, comments and attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite neighborhood jauntCritic4gfoodVIPDined on 7/25/2014Always great tasting and hot….never disappointed when my husband and I eat at RT's. I had one of my favorite entrees, catfish etouffee and my husband had fried catfish. For desert, I had my favorite….RT's famous bread pudding.Special Features:
- Memorable Birthday!!OkieGingerDined on 7/20/2014We were a group of 10 celebrating my husband's birthday. Great food, Great service and enjoyed by all. The kitchen did a super job with all of our various requests - oh so good!Special Features:
- Great food;bad location!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Food and service were great but I would not take my family back because of location.Special Features:
- first time guestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014My wife and I really enjoyed dining there. Food and service was excellent. Had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Cajun in VAstapelzVIPDined on 7/3/2014Trying to find a place around 10pm can be difficult but luckily this place was still open and we decided to try it. Kat was a great server/bartender, well versed on the menu and very helpful. Get the shrimp n crab beignets appetizer, very tasty. I wanted classic so we got étouffée and I loved it, and they can also kick it up a notch spice wise for those real Cajun eaters. They also serve cheese/andouille fries, outrageously delicious. The kicker was the dessert as we found a special creme brûlée that I had never seen on a menu, white choc macadamia brûlée, it rivals the brûlée specials I still remember while living in Europe.Special Features:
- Gem in the neiborhoodJeriDined on 6/28/2014The food is always great. We come for special occassions and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, varied menu choicesspoorwegDined on 6/27/2014I came to this as a recommended Cajun/Southern restaurant and the menu certainly reflects that. I had a very good jambalaya though the catfish ordered by my friend was frankly rather bland. It was moist and nicely friend, but the batter was just... nothing. Overall, a recommended place though!I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014service, ambiance, especially the food is excellent, as always.Special Features:
- A classicLuncherVIPDined on 6/15/2014We hadn't been to RTs in a while, and as we started eating, we asked ourselves, why not? The restaurant decor is definitely dated, but the food is outstanding. The crawfish beignet appetizer never fails to deliver. I had some leftover from my main course-combo shrimp and crawfish etouffe-and it was just as good the next day. I wouldn't go for the service or ambience, but the food is wonderful, if you like creole style, lots of seafood and delicous sauces.Special Features:
- Hidden gemCAinVADined on 6/15/2014New Orleans' style cajun food isn't usually one of my favorites, but this place never disappoints. Actually, I can probably remember most of the dishes I've had there--in detail--because they are just that good. Take the chance on this off-the-beaten-path spot, and you will not regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/13/2014I have dined episodically at RT's since the 1980s. I love it. First, it is simple: no airs; superb food; quiet; and great service. My server for the last 26+ years has usually been Susasn. She is perfection.. She cares about her guests. She always remembers me! Food is cooked to perfection and served perfectly. If someone wants good food with Louisianian ingredients and preparation, RT's is the only place outside Louisana where it can be had. Always sit at a table where Susan serves (although the other servers are good, too).Special Features:
- Great spot I never noticed!IRarelyRateRestaurantsDined on 6/13/2014Wouldn't have seen this spot in that little strip, lucky to have found some awesome Yelp reviews to lead me here. Seated earlier than my reservation, which was nice. Server was mildly attentive, but that's how these neighborhood spots go, she seemed to have a lot to talk about with other tables. It wasn't really a hindrance. Food made up for any tiny inconvenience, it was amazing and extremely authentic. The small dining room was attractively decorated if that matters to your dining experience, we enjoyed the shadowboxes. Would have loved to try dessert, but the entrées were too bountiful. We'll be back.Special Features:
- OHoustonOHoustonVIPDined on 6/11/2014Best Cajun-Creole food East AND West of the Mississippi!!! Very consistent. Very best Gumbo than anywhere else on the planet!Special Features: