52 West Illinois
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://rpmitalian.com/
- Phone: (312) 222-1888
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 4:00pm-1am, Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Doug Psaltis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events:
A word from RPM Italian
RPM Italian presents cuisine that is modern in approach and Italian in spirit, with dishes intended to be shared. Chef partner Doug Psaltis has created a menu which features a variety of cold and hot antipasti, more than a dozen freshly prepared in-house pastas, and a selection of salads, prime steaks, chops and slow-roasted meats. The restaurant also has an open bar area where guests can order a signature cocktail created by acclaimed bartender Paul McGee, or enjoy a glass of wine from their extensive list. Sophisticated and chic, RPM Italian is perfect for a great meal or late night out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
RPM Italian - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
RPM Italian reviews from OpenTable diners
928 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
hot spot (592)special occasion (588)fit for foodies (548)romantic (420)good for groups (342)vibrant bar scene (305)notable wine list (269)neighborhood gem (159)late-night find (106)great for lunch (68)kid-friendly (29)great for brunch (21)scenic view (17)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- Best Waiter!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014We had the best service! I heard their service was not the best before going, but I think it helped that we were right outside the waiter station where the food all comes out. I wish I remembered the guy's name. Free champagne and dessert for our anniversary too, which was very nice. My husband and I only spent about $70 on dinner and $20 on drinks while waiting. We normally spend about $50-60 in the burbs, so for a nice night out in the city, I think this was not very expensive at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAB!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014The minute I found out I was heading to Chicago from out of town, I immediately made reservations at RPM! My dining experience did not disappoint. The food was AMAZING and our server was very helpful in narrowing down our choices from a fabulous menu. I would definitely recommend RPM to friends and would love to make it back there someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mandy224Dined on 11/22/2014Very disappointing. The food was very run of the mill. The music was so loud that I couldn't hear my sister across the table. I was expecting a special dinner, but the quality of the food made it seem like Olive Garden. Do not order the crispy ravioli...such a lemon essence that it tasted like a pastry from Panera Bread. Much better choices in the city for dinner.
- great atmosphere, superb servicePennyBDined on 11/22/2014It's so great when the first thing the hostess asks is if she can take your coat. I was skeptical, given this is partly celebrity owned. But my worries were for nothing. Top notch, all the way. We ate here twice during our stay. I highly recommend the meatballs for an appetizer, fried olives were fun too. For entrees, we always got the pasta dishes, all were good, but cavatelli with pork and beef ragu stood out from the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OFF THE CHAINFoodieDined on 11/21/2014I am a huge fan of G&B. Every since RPM opened, I said the next time I'm in Chicago I had to eat at RPM just to show my support. I knew it had to be good when the only reservation I could get was either at 10pm or 11:30pm. It was WELL worth the wait. Our server was the greatest (Chris) and our food was unbelievable. Lobster Ravioli is off the chain!! Restaurant is gorgeous. I can't say enough positive things about my overall experience!! THANK YOU for making it so memorable! Liked it so well, that we went to RPM Steak the following night. Another amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food combined with wonderful serviceHelaneVIPDined on 11/21/2014We were celebrating and so we ordered like kings. We wanted to try everything and we were not disappointed ! Of course, as others have stated, the meatballs, garlic bread and lobster caprese were great. Don't miss the risotto or the agnolotti. Veal chop was great to share. A true delight was our waiter. He really elevated our meal from excellent to spectacular Can't wait to return. The check came and based on now much we ate and drank we felt it was reasonable So we left with a good feelingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!bostonfoodguyDined on 11/19/2014Everything was amazing! The food and desserts were some of the best we've had. The atmosphere and service were top-notch. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a nice, memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25%FoodQueenWJBDined on 11/19/2014Out of the right items (apps, bread, entrees) we had 2 were great, 3 were terrible, 1 good and 2 were only fair. The Artichoke was terrible and way over salted. The squid ink pasta also was over salted so we sent back. The short ribs were fair and sweet potato gnocchi (which this foodie was excited for) were gummy. The stuffed peppers were other great item. Service was only fair, when we need him we could always find him chatting at drink service station but never around our table. Was so excited to eat here, huge fan of Fashion Police! I'm an original Joan Ranger. I think Giuliana would be shocked to hear her place needs some stronger management - good ambiance and menu but service and execution of dishes not so great.
- Rpm amazingAnneh1987Dined on 11/19/2014Rpm was tucked away on Illinois street. The valet parking was very affordable and worth it. The staff were very friendly and willing to explain the menu. This restaurant has such a romantic feel inside. The decor and the lighting set the tone. Very chic. The food arrived to our table in a matter of 15-20 minutes. The waiter brought us out some appetizers on the house before the food arrived. We ordered bellinis and had water. This was our first time at rpm and the experience was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RPMOfloDined on 11/16/2014The food was great. We had the Ceaser salad, which by looking at it, did not seem like enough for 3 people but surprisingly enough it was. The portions are tricky. The waiter helped us through the process. We had two appetizers, the zucchini and one with calamari, shrimp, and smelts. The Zucchini was sooo good and the dipping sauce was excellent. The other appetizer was awesome as well except that I didn't really see any smelts but that didn't make a difference. The main dish portion was small but the appetizersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - Okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014I was visiting Chicago for the weekend and looking forward to try RPM for the first time. The atmosphere and food was terrific! The only negative would be our waitress. She was not very friendly or welcoming. I would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Unfriendly ServiceMaryBVIPDined on 11/15/2014We had a 8:30 reservation for Saturday night. We checked in at the desk and was told they were "running behind 20 minutes and we can wait at the bar". No politeness like we are sorry we are running late we will get you seated, etc. We found a seat at the bar and ordered a couple of drinks..bar was very busy but the bartender and drinks were good, typical downtown pricey drinks. We were buzzed about 20 minutes later and was seated by the hostess who put the menus on the table and walked away. Our server was just as unfriendly as the hostess who checked us in and seated us. There were four of us and we all felt like he acted as if he was doing us a favor. We shared a couple apps which were great. We all ordered an entrees which were small, but I feel like the prices reflected the sizes. Everyone loved their dishes. We then split two desserts that were again awesome. It definitely has the trendy/Vegas vibe so if you are going for a quiet dinner this isn't the place, very loud club music even in the dining room. If I was rating it on food alone it would be 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really badDmd13Dined on 11/14/2014RPM Italian was really bad it was sold as if it was a really fancy restaurant it was extremely expensive but the atmosphere was entirely like a club and the food was just not good. The only thing that was good there was the service.
- rookieDined on 11/14/2014Front desk people/check in area could be a little more welcoming ?? Food and dining service were fabulous! Braised short ribs were melt in mouth delicious and Bill's dessert cookie a winner, as well. Menu has unique options and server suggested 'wine of the week' ...perfect choice. Prices were high, but worth it. We could only get 4:00 or 9:00 reservations...so chose the 4:00. I suggest you call months in advance if you want 'normal' dine times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but took off great foodFoodie16Dined on 11/14/2014I came to visit Chicago and wanted to go to RPM for 2 specific items that I had last year and both were removed :(. Portions are small especially the Crispy Ravioli. 6$ for 5-6 quarter sized pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GourmetKnotDined on 11/12/2014So loud the only thing one could focus on was the food which was extraordinarily tasty. Nice wine list. Great Great Service. But if you need a choice of more simple food, this is not your place. There were no simple food choices on the menu. We all left with stomach aches. That's not good. It would be great if popular contemporary Chefs considered food combination guidelines so those so inclined have a choice or two.Special Features:
- Amazing As AlwaysmarycDined on 11/12/2014RPM NEVER disappoints. Food is always impeccable and service is always amazing. I've tried about 1/2 of the menu items at this point, and I have yet to come across something that was anything less than fantastic. I've been trying to go gluten free per doctor's orders, and they have a pretty extensive gluten free menu. LOVE LOVE LOVE this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksMichaelDined on 11/12/2014HAd a great time with my wife for our anniversary. We loved the food and the service was great. I think we would like to visit RPM steak next. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, awesome serverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Our food was really delicious but our server made our experience amazing. She was very pleasant, energetic, and checked in at the perfect time every time. All her recommendations were spot on. She was literally the nicest server I think I've ever had a restaurant. That's what good service should look like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it! The Food was fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Food, Décor, Service all was amazing. Had the White Truffle Risotto and the Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad, and for Dessert the Dark Chocolate Sorbet, all to die for. The wine list is also very impressive. Had Anne for our Server and she was fantastic. The restaurant was already packed at 6:00pm. Incredible, could eat there every day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great!zippyVIPDined on 11/10/2014We had the prime rib meatballs and truffle garlic bread appetizers, the filet mignon, lobster ravioli and coconut gelato. Everything was delicious! I'm not a great Italian food fan (yes, I ordered the mignonette), but we eat out in Chicago 3 to 4 times per weak and try to get into an up scale restaurant once a month. We were very happy to finally get into RPM and pleased with the results. It compares highly with any place in town. It may be that our food and service was up a notch because the celebrity owners were at the table next to us. It is rare that everyone enjoys every item served, but that was the case for us at RPM. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WontbebaackDined on 11/10/2014Not what was expected. Food was not special. We had the fried artichokes and they were very greasy. Short ribs were tasty, but really dry. Overall experience was underwhelming. A nearby baby was crying most of the time. Bar area was nice.Special Features:
- Great food - horrible serviceSherriDined on 11/9/2014The food and atmosphere here was amazing. Our server, David seemed very annoyed, was not helpful and basically ignored our table. It really was disappointing as I was there with three girls on a girls trip weekend and we so looked forward to visiting the restaurant.Special Features:
- SuperbSRDuncanVIPDined on 11/9/2014Excellent experience, professional, knowledgable and friendly waitstaff. Octopus appetizer was smoky, tender and flavorful. Kale salad well dressed and tender. Pumpkin gnocchi wonderful. Slow cooked pork incredibly tender. Brussels sprouts perfectly roasted. Mission figs with whipped mascarpone a great ending. Little wonder that reservations are hard to come by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placefoodie19Dined on 11/9/2014Restaurant was very nice and great service, the mood is very relaxed. I have to say that the food was good overall but the portions are tiny and are okay which is why i gave it three stars, i didn't really live up to the hype in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014We had pasta and salmon and it was very good. Matt was our server and despite being very busy, he made us feel as though we were the only table he was serving. His recommendations were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableWashburn2Dined on 11/9/2014From walking in to walking out, the entire experience was fantastic. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS!!GiaS123Dined on 11/9/2014The food was amazing! The staff was super friendly and helpful/knowledgeable. Cannot wait until I can return!! And try RPM Steak!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food heavenTerripDined on 11/8/2014The angliotti as an entree & the beef as a main were heaven on my pallete. The beef just melted in my mouth cooked to perfection. Would definitely dine here again. Nice ambience with comfortable & stylish seatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Trendy PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Food pretty good, really trendy place and very loud, appears to be the SPOT in chicago for young professionals. Not sure I would go back but I am glad we went. Too Loud for a romantic dinner but I can see how it would be fun with a group of people.Special Features:
- excellent food, service and place!PatrickDanielDined on 11/8/2014All the talk about this place finally had a chance to check it out with my GF and I have to say, everything was hands down delicious. The service, the atmosphere, the food was just A+. I will definitely go again!Special Features:
- AwesomeSofi495Dined on 11/8/2014I requested to be sat at a table that overlooked the restaurant, but still had privacy, and they accommodated my request exactly. The waiter was attentive, but not overbearing. The food, was incredible. Nothing too fancy, but just amazing in-house pasta as well as delicious imported cheese and wine. A+ recommending it to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants fabulous food and service. This was my second visit and I enjoyed it just as much the second time as I did the first. I will definitely be dining here again as often as I can get into the city!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallFromMIDined on 11/8/2014Great overall experience. Apps were yummy. Shaved Brussels sprout salad with avocado was bland and we sent it back, but after that the food was all incredible. We had 7 people who got 7 different entrees and they were amazing. Good portions. Would difinitly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceNiceDined on 11/8/2014I wish our waitress would have been a little better. She seemed very distant and didn't ask us if we were ready to order. Didn't say anything about the restaurant and it food. I got the tortellini and was a little disappointed in the amount that was there. She was really good about desserts and explaining them. I wish she would have done the same on the main course.Special Features:
- Best Italian Food I Have Ever HadDMM123VIPDined on 11/7/2014We ordered a number of appetizers and pasta dishes for a group of 4. Every dish was delicious!!!! Highly recommend. Bring an emply stomach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must tryLizziebooboiDined on 11/7/2014Pricey but the food was delicious and the service was fast. Worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, perfect portionsShopaholicDined on 11/7/2014My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance and the food. There was a 10-minute wait on Friday (Nov. 7, 2014) despite having a 5pm reservation, and staff at the reception desk seemed a bit disorganized and flustered, but everything else was superb! Staff are knowledgeable about everything on the menu and are confident in making recommendations. The wine list was impeccable. The food was simply heavenly and the smaller portions allow you to share dishes, family style, which makes for more variety on the table. Simply delicious (and reasonably priced).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingDined on 11/6/2014At this point, this is my favorite restaurant!! Love everything about RPM!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutMaltesers240Dined on 11/6/2014Although the service was good, the waiters very attentive I found the food was average. We ate at several restaurants around the city during our holiday and found that RPM Italian did not meet our expectations.Special Features: