52 West Illinois
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://rpmitalian.com/
- Phone: 3122221888x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 4:00pm-1am, Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Doug Psaltis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events:
A word from RPM Italian
RPM Italian presents cuisine that is modern in approach and Italian in spirit, with dishes intended to be shared. Chef partner Doug Psaltis has created a menu which features a variety of cold and hot antipasti, more than a dozen freshly prepared in-house pastas, and a selection of salads, prime steaks, chops and slow-roasted meats. The restaurant also has an open bar area where guests can order a signature cocktail created by acclaimed bartender Paul McGee, or enjoy a glass of wine from their extensive list. Sophisticated and chic, RPM Italian is perfect for a great meal or late night out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
RPM Italian - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
RPM Italian reviews from OpenTable diners
1079 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (704)hot spot (692)fit for foodies (609)romantic (525)good for groups (367)vibrant bar scene (362)notable wine list (313)neighborhood gem (208)late-night find (136)great for lunch (82)great for brunch (33)kid-friendly (31)scenic view (24)great for outdoor dining (7)Show More
- Amazing girls night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My best friend and I went to RPM for a girls night dinner. We loved it. The family style menu where you can share the dishes was right up our alley. The restaurant was beautiful and the food was delicious. We will definitely go back. Mama DiPandi's pasta dish was my favorite! With Giuliana's italain salad a close second.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarianneOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014We had a wonderful time. The appetizers were great and the food was outstanding. I am Italian and the meatball was one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:
- Yum!ItalygirlDined on 10/17/2014This was our second time visiting RPM - it had been a year or so since our last visit. I enjoyed it even more this time - great food and a nice table toward the back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Waiter was attentive, checking with us frequently. He wasn't as fluid with descriptions as might have been expected. The food presentation was superb. All items were well prepared and tasty and more quantity than expected!(waiter didn't fill us in on amount per item) Deserts were were also phenominal. All in all, excellent! Pricie, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wind&DineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Great way to show friends in town that Chicago knows how to dine in style!Special Features:
- It was a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2014I guess after hearing all of the hype about this restaurant, I was a little disappointed. The ambiance was great and the service was some of the best I've ever had, but the food was just OK (in my opinion). This restaurant would be great for a date and I would definitely go back for the experience.Special Features:
- Awesome!RJW2001Dined on 10/15/2014Great service! Good food! Look for the red shoe in the ceiling & ask about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014I am not from the Chi town area but have made about 12 visits to RPM - first on my list every time I am in town. Reservations are a must. The service is exceptional. The food - - amazing! And every time! I love Italian food and RPM never disappoints. On my most recent trip, I enjoyed the eggplant parmesan - just like my Nona's! Never one to pass on dessert, I had the cannoli - what a treat. A petite cannoli in a light airy shell with just the right hint of orange in the crème - unlike others I have had. Thanks Giuliana and Bill for working your magic on such a delightful restaurant - please open one in California!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!geegeeottawaDined on 10/14/2014This is obviously a very popular spot. We were lucky to score a reservation at the last minute. We all enjoyed our selections especially the lobster ravioli. Although we were told that the pasta portions were small they were perfect after an appetizer. Very attentive service. Beautifully decorated restaurant. Lots of young professionals.Special Features:
- ivania7Dined on 10/13/2014Love this restaurant! Try the ink spaghetti and the bread with ricotta.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014RPM Italian was amazing. The service was outstanding and the food was perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better evening. We will definitely go back the next time we are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres fab!foodiewannabeDined on 10/12/2014I was concerned about this trendy not 'chef driven' restaurant....and was pleasantly surprised! Great food. Great staff. Would recommend to others and would happily return myself!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot to dineadb260Dined on 10/12/2014Went here on a Sunday night (make sure to get reservations well in advance). Dinner was amazing! Our server, Christie, was very attentive to our every need. We had the stuffed peppers, the Bolognese, the pomodoro as well as the coffee gelato. Everything is made to share, but it makes it perfect to try multiple dishes. The pasta is all made in house and you can tell a lot of love was put in to every dish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous and Delicious!DeliciousfindsDined on 10/12/2014My sister and I made reservations a month in advance knowing that we would be starving after running the Chicago Marathon. Not only was the ambiance great, but our waitress was knowledgeable and friendly, and the food was "to die for". We typically don't get dessert, but after sampling and sharing some of the other menu items, including a bottle of wine, we couldn't resist. What a way to celebrate! Authentic, Italian Food...Is there anything better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent serviceomnomnomivoreDined on 10/12/2014When I started looking for a place to make dinner reservations for a post Chicago Marathon celebration dinner, a friend recommended RPM. I am glad she did! Our reservation was at 5 p.m. Unfortunately I underestimated how long it would take to finish up post marathon activities and ran a little late to the reservation. They will not seat you until your entire party is present. That being said once our whole party arrived we were seated within 5-10 minutes. Our waitress was great. She made excellent suggestions. I ordered the 8 oz. Filet Mignon medium and it was cooked perfectly. I had tartufo for dessert and it was delicious. The waitress brought mini-gelato cups to celebrate my birthday. I will return on future visits to Chicago.Special Features:
- Diappointed this time....FishluverVIPDined on 10/11/2014We went to RPM in June when our daughter graduated from college and it was fabulous. When it was our daughter's birthday this past weekend we decided to go back despite the 10:30 reservation time. The food was still great but the service was greatly lacking. Our waitress really pushed us to order the $58 bronzino, which was the most expensive thing on the menu. We had our salads and other appetizers and then waited 1 hour for our entrees and it was midnight! I also asked for something to celebrate my daughter's birthday and nothing was done at all. Disappointed and will not be back--when paying this much for a dinner we expect better service and at least a little birthday candle and more friendly people at the bar and front check in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceSCargoDined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed a Saturday dinner here and the overall experience was very good. Best plate was the braised short ribs. My cocktail had way too much ice (shocking). A nice dinner, but a bit on the pricey side for a "small plate" experience.Special Features:
- Superb ItalianTimCDined on 10/11/2014Lobster Caprese and Spaghetti with meatball, not exactly getting outside any boxes but both were absolutely fabulous. The service was the same. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014RPM was great. The atmosphere, ambiance and food was delishious! We were sat down at exactly our reservation time. Drinks came out fast and soo did the food. Portions are small and are great for sharing. Dessert of gelato was huge and a nice ending to a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time out!GoodTimesDined on 10/9/2014We were in Chicago from Chico Ca and our daughters had to eat at RPM. It lived up to the anticipation and we thoroughly enjoyed the food the service and the feel of the space.Special Features:
- great food, great server, but ....leesaDined on 10/9/2014This was my 3rd time thete, ALWAYS great food, and the servers wete great. But... whats with your hostesses??? Everyone of them never smile, nor seem like a genuinely nice person, they come off very stuck up, and my 20 year old daughter even noticed it, along with my husband the first time we went. Don't like that feeling of being like your not welcomed there. But the food was excellent, and for that i will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!LiveToEatDined on 10/8/2014The food was outstanding and we loved their use of white truffles! On top of that, our server Bob was great. He didn't rush us and made some great recommendations. We will ask for him next time. The manager Maggie came to our table to talk to us which was very nice considering how busy they were. It's definitely a restaurant for people who appreciate really good food. It was some of the best I've had in a very long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mlp12Dined on 10/8/2014We ordered appetizers that were outstanding. Our entrees were the halibut fish and lobster, spinach ravioli. Both dishes were absolutely outstanding. Our server was gracious, very knowledgeable about the menu choices and extremely pleasant. We never felt we were being rushed through our dinner and he was always checking with us to see if we needed anything and asked how we enjoyed our meal. Wonderful restaurant and we do plan on returning in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond expectationsLushan7Dined on 10/7/2014We were seated right away. Our server was phenomenal, was very knowledgeable about all of the dishes. Great recommendations! My whole party had the special Berkshire Shank, I have never in my life had pork melt in your mouth and taste as good as this was. The sides of roasted cauliflower and broccolini were perfect to share. The Bombolini with nutella and marscapone cheese were out of this world. The little ice cream cones with gelato were a perfect dessert as well. I would definitely recommend RPM Italian. Also, being from the western suburbs this is definitely worth the trip to downtown Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just fair-portions on small sidacheDined on 10/7/2014thought portions a bit on the small side. ordered swordfish entree and got a thin filet, maybe 3-4 ounces that would have been enough for an appetizer. should have sent it back but didn't. lobster ravioli and prawns ordered by friends also meager. meatballs however the only bright spot. not going back and wouldn't recommend.Special Features:
- AmazingOkimakDined on 10/6/2014I met up with a close friend who is new to Chicago and we wanted to have a great Italian food experience. Not only was the food great, but the service was amazing and so was the ambiance. We had a great time meeting the people at the table next to use who were from California. We were all taking pics of our food and we even started sharing it. So good! Highly recommend and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than a fadBrittneyDined on 10/5/2014RPM was great. The food and "scene" were great, though the noise and service weren't the best for a date night. I think our server was an outlier; others seemed very warm and cordial. We started with the ravioli, which were microscopic. Giuliana's Italian salad was large and delicious, and Mama DePandi's bucatini was a hit. My husband also had the salad, paired with pappardelle bolognese, which were great as well. Bill's dessert was great and very big as well; the wine list offered great and quality variety. Overall I'd definitely recommend RPM. As a G&B lover, it was an exciting and special night out in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressedEmGoDined on 10/5/2014I was fairly impressed with the atmosphere as well as the food and drinks. I would certainly recommend going with a group so you can try multiple items froms the menu. It was a little loud and the tables we sat at were pretty close to other guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ink squid pasta is way too awesomelisaDined on 10/5/2014The food here is awesome. I would definitely recommend the ink squid pasta. It is the best I have in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of towners...foodiefromCADined on 10/5/2014We were celebrating our 1 year wedding anniversary in Chicago and decided to try RPM. Overall, the food and drinks were delicious but the service was just so-so. Our server was Derek (I think that was his name) and he really could have cared less about us, his job or the service he provided. With the service lacking.... the food, drinks and overall ambience of the restaurant made up for it. I would recommend if you like a loud, vibrant scene with yummy food. Don't expect too much from the service though...Special Features:
- It was a nice surprisecocktailsfoodDined on 10/5/2014From the time we were seated it was a wonderful experience. The bartender recommended a cocktail based on my taste pallet, and it was wonderful. The appetizers and entrees would appeal to any real foodie. We will definitely be back to dine at this restaurant in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!LovetoeatDined on 10/5/2014I loved the small portions which allowed us to try several things that were all extremely delicious! Gorgeous place, can't wait to come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- momoVIPDined on 10/5/2014Cichetti choices were awesome-especially the octupus and meatballs. Sommelier was very helpful-really enjoyed the Amarone. Chose no dessert but they brought us a wonderful caramel/chocolate budino was decadent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed? Heck YES!FoodieAndFanDined on 10/5/2014This was our first time at RPM and wanted to try many dishes. Heard great things & hoped it met my expectations. Party of 3, we ordered Lobster Caprese, octopus, prosciutto bruschetta(not actually on the menu), crimini wood fired pizzette, fried olives, Mama DePandi's Pomadoro bucatini, prosciutto tortellini, beignet's & cappuccino to top it off! Everything was DELISH! Serving sizes were perfect for us to get a good size taste of everything we ordered! Wonderful meal, great service, & fun upbeat ambiance! Can't wait to go back! It exceeded my expectations!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentTizzyLoLoDined on 10/4/2014RPM Italian is a great restaurant with delicious small plates for sharing. I love the change of pace from glutinous proportions like most other Italian restaurants in the city. Beautiful ambiance and an attentive and knowledgable staff. This is definitely one of my favorite restaurants in the city and an excellent place to take out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014The restaurant ambiance was modern and romantic, however the specials were way overpriced for the amount of food you get. Stick to the main menu to save some money, however everything is ala-carte. On average plan on spending at least $40 per person on food and if you have 2 drinks add another $25 to $30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodsbr4lfeDined on 10/3/2014The perfect selection of small bites for appetizers followed by a well planned portion size for the main dish. Excellent wine choices. Very attentive and knowledgable service. Overall a great dining experience. A must do when in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RPM Italian great in every way!Luv2wineDined on 10/2/2014I was visiting Chicago with my best friend & made reservations over a month in advance! I am a fan of Giuliana & Bill so that is how I knew of the restaurant. The interior is beautiful, sophisticated & modern. The service was impeccable and the food was amazing!! We were really impressed with the food; from the salad to the main meal, dessert & wine...it all exceeded our expectations! Fabulous evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014My husband and daughter's plane was delayed and they were going to miss their reservation. RPM Italian was extremely accomodating and gave them a later reseservation. They loved the restaurant and can't wait to bring the rest of the family back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RPM ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014We booked same day and had no problem obtaining a reservation. The menu is very diverse and delicious. We enjoyed the carbonara and spaghetti and an enormous meatball. Both were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.