52 West Illinois
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://rpmitalian.com/
- Phone: 3122221888x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 4:00pm-1am, Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Doug Psaltis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events:
A word from RPM Italian
RPM Italian presents cuisine that is modern in approach and Italian in spirit, with dishes intended to be shared. Chef partner Doug Psaltis has created a menu which features a variety of cold and hot antipasti, more than a dozen freshly prepared in-house pastas, and a selection of salads, prime steaks, chops and slow-roasted meats. The restaurant also has an open bar area where guests can order a signature cocktail created by acclaimed bartender Paul McGee, or enjoy a glass of wine from their extensive list. Sophisticated and chic, RPM Italian is perfect for a great meal or late night out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
RPM Italian - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
RPM Italian reviews from OpenTable diners
1115 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (761)hot spot (687)fit for foodies (605)romantic (566)good for groups (383)vibrant bar scene (362)notable wine list (345)neighborhood gem (219)late-night find (135)great for lunch (82)great for brunch (36)kid-friendly (26)scenic view (24)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- Always greatMichellechicagoVIPDined on 9/15/2014Never let down. The mama depandis bucatini was amazing. Lobster caprese is what I always look forward toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014Great dining experience, food was fantastic, server was very attentive. The whole evening made for a very nice birthday experience for my wife and I.Special Features:
- Yummy pastaBenitaVIPDined on 9/14/2014We tried three different pasta dishes and the meatballs. All were delicious!Special Features:
- SoBe in Chicago?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2014What a Great Place. Food was the Best. How they can manage that in a Large venue with a Vibrant atmosphere, delivering Outstanding Italian food, which is tough with so many people. Very fashionable, Trendy and Vibrant. Made us feel like we were back home in Miami, instead of visiting Chicago. A definite must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014We had a fantastic dinner. Pasta sauces were delicious and interesting.Special Features:
- What's the hype?kosterDined on 9/13/2014The food is good I just think they need to expand the menu moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Our waitress was wonderful and every course was better than the last. The gnocchi was out of this world!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big let downZuzkavDined on 9/13/2014For making a reservation, our table location was beyond terrible. It was stuck in between 2 areas with a curtain obstructing our dinner guests. The chairs in the opposite side were continually bumped by wait staff and our jackets & purses were constantly knocked. It was also basically back on the bar side of the restaurant so the noise level was a bit too loud. The food however was extremely good.for coming in from another country and knowing the owners are celebs, this was an extreme disappointment. When I go out for a dinner like this I expect an overall great dining experience not just great food.Special Features:
- Always Consistent!foodie81Dined on 9/13/2014This is my second time eating at RPM. The service, drinks and food were just as consistent as the first time I was there. The food is extremely fresh and made to order. It's a great place for a special occasion or just for a night out with friends.Special Features:
- My Visitdarlene16Dined on 9/13/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere not sure if I would return or not. Spaghetti and Meatball was good. Though the location of table could of been better. Service could use some improvement. Prices were not affordable in my opinion.Special Features:
- Molte Bene!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Delicious food, beautiful restaurant, superb service! We ate off of the specialty menu. Everything was very tasty. We were scared to have Mama Dipandi's Bucatini bc we feared it would be too simple of a dish. So glad we went ahead and ordered it. We even requested bread to sop up all the delicious sauce! To really enjoy the experience, order a few appetizers, a main dish to share and a few pasta dishes. It was 4 of us and we had room for gelato after ordering 3 appetizers, 3 pastas, and a large fish to share. We plan to return on our next trip to Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply perfectDudeDined on 9/12/2014I go once or twice every time i am in chicago for business. It is my favorite "Italian" restaurant by far. It's modern/trendy Italian, not the Gene & Georgetti's type thing. But every freaking plate is amazing. We get totally different stuff if we go back to back days. I cannot say enough about RPMSpecial Features:
- Met all expectations!RobynDined on 9/12/2014Had heard numerous rave reviews of RPM and I have to say they were right! Delicious food, service and atmosphere. Portions are on the smaller side, but it left room for dessert, and you won't want to skip that!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience to remember.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014After seeing RPM on the show I couldn't wait to visit Chicago again and make going to RPM a priority. I finally made it and it was an excellent experience. Can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely perfect!luvgr8foodDined on 9/12/2014I can't say enough about the superb service. Everyone of the staff was top notch. Food was excellent. I will be going back on my next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10 year anniversaryLadyG1Dined on 9/11/2014The restaurant is not handicap friendly. The handicap accessible door doesn't work. I was in a wheelchair and someone had to open the door for us. The space in the dining area is not spread out enough to get the wheelchair through. I was disappointed that they did not acknowledge our anniversary. The person who called to confirm our reservation was not warm. I told him we were celebrating our 10 year anniversary. He did not say anything about it. He said "we will see you tomorrow.Special Features:
- Good Food but Slow ServicelatrappisteDined on 9/10/2014Dinner with colleagues who were very excited to try RPM. We ordered a number of starters but the server forgot to put them in and we received our mains before getting our starters. Food was good but not amazing. We had the barrata, rib-eye, black truffle ravioli special, octopus, carpaccio, sea scallops... Drink orders was also very slow. Server knew her menu well but disappointed with the mix-up with our food. Nothing was taken off our bill for the inconvenience and long wait. Just expected a lot more than we received.
- why the hype?nancyVIPDined on 9/10/2014I can't image why RPM is so popular. The food was mediocre and the noise level so loud that I could not engage in a meaningful conversation with the person who sat across from me. I don't plan to return to RPM and doubt if this restaurant will remain a popular LETTUCE RESTAURANT for Chicago residents.Special Features:
- One of the Best!Sun55SunDined on 9/10/2014It took us (neighbors) too long to make the move for reservations ... what a great spot! Everything was wonderful and would definitely like to return - will recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Excellent food. I eat most of my meals out and it is rare for me these days to enjoy a restaurant meal this much these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceRomanticDined on 9/9/2014The food and service was excellent. I was there celebrating an anniversary with my girlfriend and it was great. I had the ravioli rpm style and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Amazing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014A must go to, the food is absolutely fantastic! I have tried a number of dishes and loved every single one of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, yes! Waiter, yes! Hosts, no!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/8/2014When we got there, the host was not very nice. He seemed annoyed when we arrived. It set a bad tone for the restaurant and ambiance. My friend and I were surprised by the lack of friendliness at he front lines. When we were seated, the host that sat us seemed very annoyed that she had to do her job. The server was very friendly and knowledgeable. He answered all our questions. The food was delicious! Just keep in mind the portions are small, so you may need more than one dish for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is all about the name..GermanDined on 9/8/2014I went with my girlfriend to celebrate a special occasion, the food was good but not what I was expecting. I guess my expectations with food were too high. We order some pastas and the whole chicken to share. The pastas were really good but very small portions and the chicken was just plain and simple roasted chicken. The ambience and service was great thought we also got a couple stuff at the end due to the event we were celebrating so that was really nice of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip & EnergenticChloe1167Dined on 9/8/2014Loved eating here, food was excellent and service fantastic. Great for small or large groups. Upbeat vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodmikemDined on 9/8/2014Really delicious Italian food, on the pricier side.Special Features:
- Delicious and trendykatehDined on 9/8/2014My husband and I went here on our visit to Chicago. We had the meatballs, truffled garlic bread, filet, mushroom sagarelli and a marscapone cheesecake gelato to finish. Every bite was delicious. would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting Chicago!Special Features:
- ConfusedRobertoVIPDined on 9/8/2014Walked in for our anniversary dinner. We made reservations over a month in advance and host tried to seat us in the bar area on a high top table. I asked for a regular and they sat us down at the smallest table with virtually no room to get to the booth side. Not a great start. Ambiance is over the edge modern and cold. Our waitress for the night was fantastic though. Attentive and responsive. Portions are really small, which is fine if there is quality and taste to balance the scale. Unfortunately, in more than one case, the small portion was the only thing we noticed. The pizza was especially underwhelming. In a city filled to the brim with Italian restaurants both fine and casual, RPM does not impress.Special Features:
- Good, not greatm2msmDined on 9/7/2014We waited 2 mos. for our reservation & looked forward to dining at RPM. We arrived about 7:45 & had a reservation for 8. They gentleman at the host station said he would text us when the table was ready. No problem; we were there to celebrate my husband's birthday and happy to have a drink at the bar. An hour later, 8:45, no text. So I checked back in only to learn we were forgotten about. Our server was gracious and attentive, but a negative tone had been established. They did give us a complimentary appetizer & small sugar coated donuts @ the end of the meal and we appreciated the gesture, but bottom line - the food was good, not great. Just wouldn't choose or recommend RPM over many of the other wonderful Italian restaurants in Chicago.
- Utterly superb!JoeSVIPDined on 9/7/2014I wanted to wax nostalgic about the quality of the food, the tremendous service, the ambiance, etc. But unfortunately my words would never capture the simple excellence of this restaurant. As an Italian adult - I might have had cavatelli sometime in my life that was as wonderful as what my wife and I sampled here on 09/07. But I frankly doubt it. The pork tenderloin was amazing, the lobster fra diavalo was sublime - the cannoli and tiramisu mouthwatering. Oh, and by the way, my wife looked beautiful on our 40th anniversary wearing a "G by Giuliana" jacket!Special Features:
- RPM- worth they hype!MunchingMandyDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I had been wanting to visit for ages! When we arrived we loved the trendy atmosphere. However, at first they sat us at a table placed immediately next to another couple... it was like we were having a group dinner. I didn't feel comfortable, so I asked to be moved to a different table and they politely complied. After that the service was excellent and the food was DIVINE! Come hungry! I would recommend the garlic bread (AWESOME), the veal parmesan was the best I've had, the lobstor ravioli was excellent. And the hazelnut ice cream ball and the MINI DONUTS were the highlight of the entire meal! VERY happy with the experience!Special Features:
- A real treatDublinnnDined on 9/7/2014I have dined in many different places during the course of my many travels but have never felt a need to write a review ( good or bad) , but for this restaurant I will make an exception.Having been talked into booking it by my wife ( something to do with the TV ) I was pleasantly surprised by everything from the moment we arrived until the time we left it was a pleasure to dine here . I would recommend this restaurant to anybody you will not be disappointed ,NNSpecial Features:
- Still coming back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014We love to sit in the bar area and be in the middle of all the buzz! My kids (in their 20's) love the truffle garlic bread, I love their semolina bread with ricotta cheese. Always enjoy the pepperoni pizzette and other small appetizers. We come to have our favorite main dish (which we go there for) and rarely seem to try anything else now, spaghetti and meatball! Always enjoyed anything we've tried but we love their spaghetti and delicious meatballs! Love this place and have always felt welcomed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HARLEYBOYDined on 9/7/2014The zucchini & artichoke appetizers were tasty & beautifully presented. Mama's pasta was flavorful without being to rich. The lobster raviolis were yummy also. Our table service was excellent.Special Features:
- MilaDined on 9/6/2014Food and service was exceptional, as always! However, waiting over 20mins to get seated when we had late night reservations-unacceptable.Special Features:
- KVSVDined on 9/6/2014I waited since RPM opened to get a reservation on trips to Chicago from Portland OR! I was thrilled to have a reservation at 10:30 pm. RPM has quite a reputation with the strength of ownership with the Melman family, the quality backgroud of Doug Psaltis and who doesn't know about the Rancic's and Mama DePandi! I had high expectations but was completle wowed from start to finish. The FOH manager Keva has the BEST personality and smile, the bar was packed with quite an age range and had the best ambiance, when seated for our meal we surprisingly were served two of the most distinctive appetizers, fried ravioli and the proscuitto balls that had me at hello! The service is impeccable and you feel like you have your own private staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticfoodguyDined on 9/6/2014food was beautiful and delicious. Service, spectacularSpecial Features:
- Loved itGocubsgo16Dined on 9/6/2014I have been waiting to dine here for awhile, so being it was my birthday, I thought rpm would be the perfect place to go to celebrate! Was not disappointed at all. Food was great, the service was great! I loved every second of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Devine Food, atmosphereLuxyvicDined on 9/6/2014One of the best meals I have had in a long time. Great Service, Great Waitress, Food was delicious, drinks were great selection. Food was top notch.Special Features:
- "happening place"hotspot4sureDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I enjoyed her birthday dinner at rpm. Service , food and atmosphere was great!!! We will visit RPM every time we come to Chicago. ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.