52 West Illinois
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://rpmitalian.com/
- Phone: 3122221888x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 4:00pm-1am, Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Doug Psaltis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events:
A word from RPM Italian
RPM Italian presents cuisine that is modern in approach and Italian in spirit, with dishes intended to be shared. Chef partner Doug Psaltis has created a menu which features a variety of cold and hot antipasti, more than a dozen freshly prepared in-house pastas, and a selection of salads, prime steaks, chops and slow-roasted meats. The restaurant also has an open bar area where guests can order a signature cocktail created by acclaimed bartender Paul McGee, or enjoy a glass of wine from their extensive list. Sophisticated and chic, RPM Italian is perfect for a great meal or late night out.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
RPM Italian - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
RPM Italian reviews from OpenTable diners
1136 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (787)hot spot (707)fit for foodies (609)romantic (586)good for groups (380)vibrant bar scene (375)notable wine list (363)neighborhood gem (211)late-night find (138)great for lunch (92)great for brunch (42)kid-friendly (34)scenic view (20)great for outdoor dining (9)Show More
- Where's the food???MattGDined on 8/31/2014Dined with three people on Sun. night. We were pumped to go, making reservations about 1.5 months ago, stared down the menu in excitement, waited all day (and pushing aside other opportunities to eat in anticipation of dinner), and finally, the time came. Were told to wait for our reservation because they were running behind (~20 mins). Seated, and eventually greeted. After a quick review of the menu, we ordered up 2 app's and 4 entrees. All were severely lacking in the "quantity" department. The food itself? Pretty good. But when you order a tortellini dish, you actually get 5 pieces of pasta. The portions were extremely small. Bruchetta was one 4"x1" piece of toast cut into four pieces. Overall, we went, and we won't be back.Special Features:
- Delicious!kWwwVIPDined on 8/31/2014We brought our kids and all shared our dishes. Food was delicious and great portions, not too big!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/31/2014The staff was very friendly. They sat us at our table right way, even though they were very busy. Served us complimentary wine. The flower squash appetizers were amazing! My lasagna was excellent!! I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Service was great! Friendly staff. Our server was "second to none" Food outstanding! It was a memorable occassion for my daughter's birthday!. Thank you for making her day extra special !!Special Features:
- RPM is fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Long awaited and well worth it. Our server was knowledgeable and accommodating. Great menu and food was delish! Can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Service was mediocre and unenthusiastic. We came here before about a year ago, and had a better experience with the ambience and energy. The food was just o.k and over-priced. Entriees are a la carte...which is what makes it expensive. Side salads are all over $10. The fritto misto was tasteless. It is a beautiful restaurant though.Special Features:
- Good mealTimFDined on 8/31/2014It was a great menu and food was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. Menu was well priced. Only drawback was that we were seated right by the entrance so felt like we were on the 'highway' with people being ferried to their tables or congrugating at the door to say their goodbyes. Additionally it was a bit disruptive as they undid doors to different sections whilst eating. Would still recommend to friends and family visiting Chicago.Special Features:
- Excellent staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The staff at RPM was top notch. I totally mixed up my reservation and arrived on the wrong evening. The staff graciously found my family a table and made our family trip to Chicago amazing! we absolutely loved the food and had a wonderful time. Thanks again RPM!Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Every aspect of the experience was fantastic! The food was wonderful! This was our first visit and the waiter was great with explaining everything if we had questions. Definitely on the 'do it again' listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great expierence!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I went to RPM for the first time and we could not have been more impressed! Everything from the bar, to the food portions was perfect! We booked another reservation as soon as we got home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueOpensesamDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant is not what you would consider to be a lettuce entertainment restaurant. It's very eclectic! We dined early as it was the only time we could secure however eating early gives you a quieter experience and choice of seating. We sat in a quiet booth. Food choices are unique, inexpensive and small but that's because you choose a variety of servings to make your meal. Tapas Service was excellent and we will return. I would return as the food selection changes weeklySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Pricey. Small portions. Slow service. Expected more/better good for the price.Special Features:
- Amazing Atmosphere & FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had an amazing experience at RPM. We made reservations several weeks ago. It is a beautiful place with a modern edge. We were able to visit and enjoy a quiet and delicious meal. The service was wonderful! I noted that this was for my daughters birthday trip to Chicago when I made our reservation online. They surprised her with 10 mini ice cream cones, one for each year old. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Loved everything but the music. Too loud and too 90's. The food was better than amazing! You canI would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & service were spot onSand1117Dined on 8/29/2014We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. Not large portions & your server shares this information at the start. Also tells you the specials with the price, I appreciated that. & the volume of music was perfect! A conversation with background music is a nice change. My husband wore shorts & it was fine. Everyone was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best optionNewChiCityDined on 8/29/2014Came across this restaurant hoping to get some quality Italian and was very disappinted. Food was subpar, just nothing to remember. Veal chops were overcooked. We were seated right beside the waiter stand...which shouldnt have a table by it. Hostess was less than enthusiastic and waiter never checked on us. $200 bill for food that probably would have been better at a ma and pa place. Just a very underwhelming experience. Will not be returning.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014We were in Chicago for the night and went to RPM Italian with 2 friends. The staff was great. The food was awesome. We arrived 1/2 hour early for our reservation and were seated immediately. The menu looked so good that we had a hard time deciding what to order. So we ordered a variety of plates and shared so we could try a lot of different things. Everything was great. We unfortunately were to full to order entrees, but will make a point of doing that on our next visit. I would highly recommend this restaurant for an evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with great atmosphereRnelson22Dined on 8/29/2014Excellent service. Our waitress was able to recommend her favorites and knew not only the regular menu but was knowledgeable in the wine list. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Do In ChicagoluvchicagoDined on 8/28/2014Great food, great prices and great atmosphere. This restaurant is a must do in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to beatSteveVIPDined on 8/28/2014Everything we ate was very good. A special mention to the Octupus appetizer. It was the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Fantastic food, atmosphere, and service! Our waiter was extremely helpful, and everything he suggested was fantastic. The restaurant has great ambiance and is perfect for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and friendly serviceLaurlyneDined on 8/27/2014Thought this restaurant had a wonderful ambiance and excellent service. Some of the food items seemed slightly overpriced but the food was very good. The drink selection was very nice and we enjoyed dessert thoroughly! The reservation we made wasn't ready so they texted when it was ready. Which is a nice feature but it was weird that the text came like 2 minutes later. Then we go back to the hostess stand and waited another few minutes. Seems there could be a better way of handling reservations but I guess the fact that it was so busy is because it's quite a hot spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodrkesteveDined on 8/27/2014The service here was by far the best I have experienced. The food was so good and the wine just perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, staff even betterStormDined on 8/26/2014The unique combinations (such as lobster caprese) were a pleasant surprise and overall, the food was just great. But, the service was fabulous. Our wait person was very knowledgeable and friendly, and then other staff came by to check on our experience. Great fun!Special Features:
- FunAnnieDined on 8/26/2014This is a very fun place to go with a group of friends! Love the ambiance, and the smaller portions are perfect and great for sharing a couple apps/entrees. Have gone back many times!Special Features:
- everyone was attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The food was amazing and unique - such a great experience!! Everyone that walked by our table filled up our water, smiled and was friendly. We had mutliple people chat with us and make sure we were having a great experience. It was great!!Special Features:
- A Chicago MustOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014RPM had a great vibe. The entire staff was professional, accommodating, and stylish. I felt the food choices and specials were clearly explained and I did not feel rushed to finish my meal. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT ALL THE WAY AROUNDHawksfanDined on 8/24/2014The whole experience was outstanding! The waitress was excellent and made sure we ordered the right amount of food. Everyone enjoyed their meals. A side dish that came out with the wrong sauce was replaced immediately. The desserts were fantastic! Can't think of a meal we have enjoyed more. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but over pricedChrisVIPDined on 8/24/2014For the cost, RPM can't touch Piccolo Sogno or Riccardo Trattoria in terms of quality or experience.
- DeliciousFabULousDined on 8/24/2014We made reservations for our wedding anniversary were greeted and seated promptly. The waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful with our selections. The food was delicious the ambiance great. Highly recommended. You might also be lucky and get to see Bill Rancic and Duke like we did.Special Features:
- RPM dinnerjmargushDined on 8/24/2014Very good food and a great menu allowing you to share plates so you can sample many different dishes, without getting too full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ashhgDined on 8/23/2014My boyfriend and I had our very first date here, and this past weekend we returned for our 1 year anniversary. Both dining experiences were romantic, memorable, and of course delicious!Special Features:
- Perfect date nightLoverpmDined on 8/23/2014Everything was fabulous and it was so romantic. Very hard to get a good reservation thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and DiningdiningwfriendsDined on 8/23/2014The dining experience was EXCELLENT, the food was not what I was expecting. The meatballs needed more seasoning and the spaghetti had a bitter taste due to the cheese on top. However, I was able to enjoy a very tasty salad.Special Features:
- Great placeKathyKDined on 8/22/2014Had a 6PM reservation on a Friday night. Seated us on time. Food was fabulous (loved the pizzettes) and the pastas were great as well. Service was stellar. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food! Bad waiter!Daisymay71Dined on 8/21/2014Food was fabulous, atmosphere was fab and waiter, not so fab:( I know it was busy but all we wanted was to have more drinks w our dinner...he walked by us sev times and we finally asked the busboy to send him over.. Overall, one of my fav restaurants!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday Night DinnerKTB08Dined on 8/19/2014I have never been to RPM Italian and at first it looked like it was a hole in the wall. Much to my surprise it was beautiful inside and felt so posh. The food was excellent with many choices and the service was timely and polite. I enjoyed the music, staff uniforms and of course time with my family at a very comfortable table. Thank you for a great first experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian FoodMP777Dined on 8/18/2014By far the best Italian quality food we've ever had. The service was friendly and although the restaurant was extremely busy the service was prompt and efficient. The look and taste of the food were authentic and delicious. A must try when visiting Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RPM Italian disappointsRosebudDined on 8/18/2014I was disappointed in this restaurant. Had reservations but still had to wait 20 minutes for table. Food was good, not great. Wait staff great! Biggest complaint was food not served ppiping hot but rather warmish, especially appetizers. Given cost that's unacceptable in my book. Wouldn't recommend given cost versus experience. There are too many great restaurants in Chicago, so wouldn't return.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencePrimeTimeDined on 8/18/2014Went here with my wife and our two sons (3 and 18 months). Not exactly the place to take kids but the staff was great with them. We had the prosciutto, truffled garlic bread, caesar wedge salad, spaghetti, short-rib Bolognese and the kids shared a cheese pizza. The pizza must have been good as the kids devoured it. Our food was amazing as was still good as cold left-overs the next day in our hotel. They also brought 4 mini gelato ice cream cones for the boys at the end of our meal. Would be a great place as a date night but the restaurant made it great for the kids too. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.