Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill
250 Waikoloa Beach Drive E-1
Waikoloa, HI 96738Neighborhood:
EurasianPrice: $31 to $50
Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://roysrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 8088864321
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Louis Mellaci
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill
Roy's Waikoloa is an upbeat resort casual restaurant featuring Hawaii inspired Euro-Asian cuisine. European cooking techniques with an emphasis on local ingredients and bold flavors. An extensive "food friendly" wine list is also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in Waikoloa ›
Roy's Waikoloa Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)fit for foodies (74)scenic view (53)good for groups (42)romantic (40)kid-friendly (34)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (27)notable wine list (26)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (8)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- dissatisfiedTheJackalVIPDined on 9/12/2014We love going to Roy's back home in Tampa & thought this being the original Roy's would be just as good if not better. The decor was very old and in need of updating the menu was limited only a couple sushi rolls and no sushi bar like back home.. We had come in hoping to get some really fresh sushi/sashimi but had to settle for a couple average rolls and an app sampler that wasn't that great for $30. . Sadly we'll have to stick to just going to Roy's on the mainland.Special Features:
- The best for a special dayMariaDined on 9/11/2014We come here For birthdays and a Anniversaries. The food is some of the best of the island and thou is not that cheap it is definitely delicious and sufficient. The service is outstanding alwaysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same old same oldShodo13VIPDined on 9/3/2014Have been to this location every year since about 1990. And it's the same old same old Roys. They really need to overhaul this space and the menu for that matter. Here's some advice - order a bunch of appetizers and a chocolate soufflé - you'll be happy. Oh, and don't let them seat you down in the dungeon - Mahalo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014This restaurant made my vacation most memorable. I have dined at Roy's in Hawaii Kai on Oahu. That was also an enjoyable event. out of all the other eateries at Waikaloa, Roy's was my first choice for dinner. I took my wife and family there to also enjoy the experience. They were very impressed by the food and service. Thanks for making my stay at Big Island one to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NWdinersDined on 8/25/2014The food was outstanding and the presentation was gorgeous! Very good service and a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/24/2014One of the best meals I've ever eaten (each time!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- People we rememberOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Anita our hostess was very pleasant, even when we asked for another table. Koa keep our drinks filled and checked on us often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SfsnobDined on 8/21/2014The food was better than last time we were here but still not like the Roy's we used to love. The flavors don't come together, miso and cilantro? Trying too hard, stick to the basics. Less is more. Also, do something about the stale stench of old oil/ fish. I had to go out couple of times. Unbearable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good experienceGotRice1Dined on 8/21/2014Roys has always beem a great dining experience. The kids menu has to be the best menu anywhere! My kids always appreciated their meals. Our prix fixe menu was an excellent bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ruthieVIPDined on 8/21/2014always a favorite and with a new grandchild, so impressed with their attentive service by promptly providing a quesadilla to keep him happy! food is always great - no problem if you just have appetizers and another goes full on with 3 courses - restaurant and staff are always accommodating.Special Features:
- Excellent service, great food.lunitareDined on 8/19/2014Wonderful way to end or Hawaiian vacation. The food was delicious, service impeccable (busters, server and floor manager!). Our request for a quiet table was met and without any fuss. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BananaDined on 8/13/2014Best kids menu I've seen! Unfortunately they forgot to bring my daughter's appetizer of cheese quesidilla, but she was okay with not getting. I got the 3 course fixed dinner with wine pairing and so she shared my appetizer. Since one of the appetizers was repeated as an entree choice, I opted for the fish but it was not to my liking. I also had to ask for my wine pairing with dessert. The overall service was rush-rush which did not lend itself to a relaxing ambiance, and why service errors likely occur. Not up to par with my experience with Roy's at Pebble Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJSjrJJSjrDined on 8/12/2014Roy's is located on the lake overlooking the golf course in the scenic King Shop's area of Waikoloa Beach area. The food, wine and service is really top notch. If you are looking for a great place to bring the family, friends or a romantic dinner for two Roy's is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simply amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Food was amazing, staff was amazinf. Not one negative comment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodNewbsHawaiiDined on 8/6/2014My wife and I both had fish. Her's was outstanding (swordfish). Mine was very good (Opah), but had overbearing onion taste. Service was exceptional. You have to try the Macadamia Nut Tart. Worth the trip!Special Features:
- Great diningEsmeeDined on 8/5/2014We ate at Roy's twice on our visit to the Big Island. - once with a group of 10 and once just with 2. Both times the food was great and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- DISAPPOINTEDTastyVIPDined on 8/2/2014I was around when Roy's first opened and I fondly remember how wonderful it was .. That was over 20 years ago. My return trip to the Big Island in over 10 years did not yield same fond memories of yesteryear. It is still a nice place to eat an overpriced piece of fish in an upscale resort community... that would be OK given it is such a wonderful area.. but the food was marginal.. even my old stand by.. seared Ahi was dry, over sauced and at best average. I have eaten in most of the Hawaiian and California Roy's over the years.. it is disappointing to see such a fine establishment meet the fate of gonglomerate ownership.Special Features:
- unhappy hawaiianunhappyhawaiianDined on 8/1/2014It is with heavy heart to write this poor review. Despite the great food, wine, and wait staff I left the restaurant very upset. We have relocated to island and have frequented the restaurant several times (almost weekly). We were happy to take all our visiting friends and family to enjoy the experience. However, while we were leaving my son was jokingly pretending to ask for tips from his father at the door. Another patron reported the incident and the hostess took it upon herself to attack my son. We were sooo shocked! and disappointed at the treatment. We will not be returning, nor will we recommend. This is so unfortunate because we have patronized Roy's at other locations (Oahu, Dallas, etc).Special Features:
- Great Anniversary SpotJimCDined on 7/31/2014Celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary at Roy's and thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. As returning customers, we enjoy Roy's incredible menu and empicable service. We have become loyal customers.Special Features:
- Great Food But Too NoisyluvingcoupleDined on 7/30/2014Great food, nicely presented. Couldn't have asked for a better meal. Wait staff was efficient but not particularly friendly. Our waiter asked us about cocktails but we had agreed to go with a bottle of wine which would last through dinner. The waiter took the wine order but when he returned with the wine he began asking about our dinner selection. When we were already started on the wine he poured he pointed out that the fixed price dinner came with a wine pairing with each serving. This would have been nice to know when we ordered a bottle since we may have gone with the wine pairings with the fixed price meals which we did end up ordering without the wine. But unfortunately the noise level really precluded having an enjoyable meal.
- Roy's disappointed usLoveveggiesDined on 7/28/2014We were very disappointed with our dinner here. We thought Roys was know for it's fresh fish. Our dishes were very salty and over sauced! We will not be going back to Roy's anytime soon. Our worst meal on the Big Island. Sorry Roy's!
- Mediocrejanieb1123VIPDined on 7/27/2014Everything looks or sounds greAt on the menu but delivery is just OK. Out of four none thought their meal was well prepared... There was absolutely nothing plain offered, too many ingredients, cloying sauces, not warm enough when derived. Our waitperson was helpful and lovely but maybe the kitchen didn't get vey thing out together well enough. We lie in a foodies city so many our expectations are too high but rosy is an internationally known rot and should do betterSpecial Features:
- BjmglassDined on 7/27/2014Absolutely superb food and the wait staff was the best I've seen. Top notch restaurant. The food and experience make it one of the best around.Special Features:
- Great Dinner! (for kids too!)OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014We went to dinner at Roy's on a recent vacation. We had been to a Roy's before, so we basically knew what to expect. We have two elementary age children, so we were prepared to put in a little effort keeping them occupied at a higher end restaurant. We were amazed to see an exceptional children's menu: a 4 course meal for $12. The kids courses were timed such that the kids were occupied during the entire dinner. The adult food was also excellent, as we expected. It was a little louder than we expected, but not deafening. The service was good, but they did somehow manage to not get my drink order placed until the main course arrived. Overall, it was an excellent experience, and we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a mustOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Roy's is worth a visit where ever you are. We are never disappointment. Food preparation is always fantastic, the flavors are wonderful. And who can resist dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKonagirlVIPDined on 7/21/2014It was great to use open table for our reservation. We've eaten here many times and always find consistently excellent food. The scallops were perfect. Portions are ample. Never a slip up in service. Just all around great dining experience.Special Features:
- Simply Amazingsjriley95Dined on 7/20/2014Every bite was pure perfection and the location and views are superb!Special Features:
- Good food, need to improve detailsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014For a Restaurant of your level, on a dining setting, all tables should have tablecloth, not just a few tables, should provide a basket of bread & butter not just a single very hard roll per person, (having to ask for it), on a $ 42.00 bottle of Riesling wine you should provide a bottle of wine with a cork (I would even settle for a synthetic cork) not a twist off cap (very embarrassing for the customer). Hopefully these comments are as constructive criticism to help out a great establishment, the food was great and the service very good just need polishing from management training, providing managers notice these details.Special Features:
- Highly recommended for dinner3furrybabiesATVDined on 7/18/2014The experience of booking dinner reservations online is a great idea! Everything was seasoned perfectly with so much flavor. I recommend the beef tataki, ahi poke and the shrimp for starters. The boneless kalbi shortribs and 16oz steak was fantastic! If we could go just for desert we would because the pineapple upside down cake and chocolate souffle was amazing! The prices on the menu were reasonable. What makes this particular Roy's unique is the location and most of all the Aloha of the staff. From the time we walked in, service was very professional and sincere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch foodPuutraveler69Dined on 7/17/2014The greeter at the door was very pleasant and professional. The table had a nice view of the lake and the the waiter gave use our menus and the prefix meal menus for the evening. The waiter had sampled the prefix meal and gave us his rendering of what was good. The prefix meal was a one time deal for the month and it was very very good. The wine that was paired with it was done well. My wife had the Mai Tai and would say it is the best on the Big Island. The overall cost of a meal for two was $150.00 for the both of use together. That is a three course meal with desert and alcohol drinks. I thought it was a good value for the overall meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/15/2014The food was delicious! More importantly all waitstaff were so friendly and efficient. Restaurant a little noisy but it didn't detract from our great meal to celebrate my husband's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT MEALS, PROFESSIONAL SERVICEHUNGRAYGAFFERDined on 7/13/2014THE WAITER WAS PROFESSIONAL AND QUITE KNOWLEGIBLE ABOUT WINES AND SELECTION. KEPT US WELL SERVED WITHOUT BEING TO INRUSIVE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodLightson50Dined on 7/12/2014As soon as we walked into Roy's we were greeted with hello and a Happy Birthday to the 18 year old birthday teen who's birthday we were celebrating. I had reserved online with a request for a special dessert. Our food was delicious, the fish i ordered was very yummy. Our waitress and food server were efficient and friendly. At the end, they did indeed bring us a special chocolate fudgy dessert that wasn't on the menu. If I lived in Hawaii, I would eat there often!Special Features:
- wisemanwisemanDined on 7/12/2014Main dish and appetizer was great. We did not care for the sides. Great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsMauiDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I have eaten at Roy's in Chicago, Maui and Kauai, enjoying every meal! While visiting the Big Island we ate at Roy's Waikoloa Bar and Grill-DELICIOUS! Excellent service and food! Hope we have an opportunity to return before heading to Maui to join up with our grown children and grandchildren.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawaii with AlexSandyjkVIPDined on 7/10/2014Whenever there is a rise in any city Whatever city we are visiting, we try to have dinner at Roy's. Here on the big Island of Hawaii we took our 13-year-old grandson to dinner. He loved the scallops. And molten chocolate cake. The restaurant is very busy and is quite exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014Food was good but a bit below normal for this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentclosetfoodieDined on 7/8/2014My husband and I travel to to the Big Island every year for our anniversary and choose to celebrate at Roy's. The food and service are never a disappointment and the desserts are to die for!!!Special Features:
- Always greatEnjoydiningoutDined on 7/7/2014This was my eighth visit but my first review. I love their food, the seafood is terrific. Lots of great appetizers, pot stickers were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's Wiakoloa VillageHawaiiSteveDined on 7/7/2014This place usually rocks! This time was good - however, I had the chef's recommended wine pairing with each course and the waiter was behind with the wine every time. I had almost finished my dinner when the wine arrived - and I went slow to wait for him and had to ask twice. Also, the meat has to rest after you cook it - so after it sat on my plate for a few minutes it was a lot better than it was in pre-mature delivery. The beans were undercooked and hard to chew but sure tasted good - eek! Usually a great experience - this time was less.Special Features: