Roy's - San Francisco
575 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 777-0277
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Aloha Hour: Sunday - Friday 4:30 - 6:30pm in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nathan Payo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call For Details
A word from Roy's - San Francisco
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's San Francisco located in bustling SoMa, just two blocks from the Moscone Center.
We invite you to join us at Roy's San Francisco located in bustling SoMa, just two blocks from the Moscone Center.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Roy's - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Roy's - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (16)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (12)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Not fine dining anymoreLaBuVIPDined on 11/16/2014Service is lackadaisical especially the wine service. The restaurant attracts people who feel compelled to photograph every bit of their dinner. We found this very distracting and did not make for an evening of fine dining. The food now is either over-sauced (Monchong fish), undercooked (Ono fish) or just plain greasy (Spring rolls). Time to give this place a rest.
- A Happy Birthday Indeed2DineOutDined on 11/3/2014Fabulous meal for my birthday. We walked in and they had a three course special that was amazing! Top to bottom and great service. We will be back soon. Thank you Opentable for the recommendation!Special Features:
- PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014We have had the pleasure to eat at Roy's San Francisco many times, and continue to have incredible meals each and every time. Roy's has consistently delivered amazing meals and service over the years and our most recent dinner experience was no exception - from start to finish the food and service was perfect in every way - Thank you Roys! If you have the chance to dine at Roy's, I highly recommend the Ahi Tartar - what a great appetizer!Special Features:
- Hmmmmmm...BethSFVIPDined on 10/21/2014Very expensive, very dark. Fish was good but not what I expected for the price. ($$$) I am slightly disappointed because the last time I was there I had a much more positive experience.
- Must try misoyaki butterfishCoolbeansDined on 10/14/2014Great place with amazing service. Was there got client dinner and we had a vegan and domaine dining with a severe dairy allergy. The wait staff was amazing and very informative about each dish and any allergy issues. Their signature fish misoyaki butterfish is a must try. I font normally eat Fish but I am so glad I took the wait staff recommendations.Special Features:
- Roy'sFeedMeSeymoreDined on 10/10/2014We've been to Roy's three times and they are consistent on service and great food. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Rib Eye Steaks were like chuck meatGreenQueenDined on 10/4/2014I was so disappointed this last visit at Roy's. Four of our party of 12 ordered the Rib Eye Steak and two of us sent it back after ordering "medium rare" and getting "very rare". When two of the four were brought back after a little more time on the grill, it still came back rare. The steaks were hard to cut with their dull knives and even harder to chew!! I've had beef jerky more tender than these steaks! I would not recommend Roy's until they get their meat act together or if you decide to go anyway, order their fish or vegetable dishes. On the other hand, the service by our waiter was exceptional. The bus boys/support waiters were rather gruff and not very pleased about delivering the food. Had not the waiter been apologetic and super sweet, I would have given the restaurant a lower score. I remember the days when every single dish of theirs was excellent and a treat to behold. I want that Roy's again!Special Features:
- everything was OK but not greatDanielVIPDined on 9/13/2014I like Roy's and this time was no exception, but I found the kitchen wasn't quite running on all cylinders. The lobster potstickers were tough and overly chewy. The lobster pot pie was very undercooked. The flavors were OK, but the lack of being cooked properly made them less than they should be. I did have a 5pm dinner which is when they open, so perhaps the kitchen wasn't quite ready.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roys- the worst with Opentable ptsMooberDined on 8/30/2014This is the 2nd time we've made reservations for Roys. The first time I never received my points. This time I had to wait nearly 2 weeks before I received my points from Roys from our second visit. I only noticed the points were rewarded because I have been logging into my account for the past few days. The service was wonderful and the food was good. I just cannot give Roys a decent rating because if they are using Opentable they should be on the ball (like other restaurants are) to issue the points right away and request a survey. I am only rating this restaurant because I had to log in to Opentable rather receiving an email to rate this restaurant. Disappointing
- RalphDined on 8/30/2014This is just a wonderful place for a great dining experience! Sitting at the counter watching the amazing chefs production just adds to the special experience of eating here!Special Features:
- Great place near convention areaMartinDined on 8/10/2014We were in town for a conference, and needed a place for 8 of us for dinner on a Sunday evening. Found this through Yelp, and then made the reservation through Open Table. A great find. Food was excellent, service was impeccable. We each had something a little different, but I heard wonderful reviews of all the dishes. I especially enjoyed the butterfish, which was a light fish with an excellent sauce. Excellent. With wine and dessert the cost was a little higher than we would have normally gone for, but really was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Roy'swingjVIPDined on 8/8/2014I've not been disappointed each and everytime. Hope to share this good experience again soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/8/2014The items I have tried have too much sauce for my liking but I'm sure other people like it. I just need to remember to ask for the sauce on the side. Quality of food is good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/3/2014The food and portions were only ok. Service ok too.Special Features:
- Roy'swingjVIPDined on 8/1/2014A great place to meet friends / family for lunch or dinner since it is very accommodating for either large or small groups.Special Features:
- The following 2245 reviews are from the Roy's - San Francisco reviews archive.
- DisappointingLuncherVIPDined on 7/16/2014It was very noisy as there was a large party seated not too far from us. This was supposed to be a nice quiet dinner. One dish arrived lukewarm the other was OK, not great considering the prices. The waiter forgot about my husband's Coke. We had to flag him down and remind him. Waiter was nice and friendly but maybe had too many tables. Will not be back - ever.
- A Must Try the Hawaiian food!alohafusion2die4Dined on 7/15/2014I love their Miso Butterfish, my fave and cocktail drinks. Service is wonderful. overall the best....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicevictorDined on 6/22/2014Great appetizers, drinks and food. Excellent service. Great choices in the menu too. Overall a great place to eat and take someone especial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern Hawaiin influenced dishesSfbenDined on 6/17/2014Roy's is a great place for sophisticated Hawaiian influenced dishes in a classy environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/15/2014We have eaten at Roy's before and it had been wonderful in the past. Unfortunately we went there a few months ago to celebrate Father's day for my husband and it was very disappointing. It was not busy for lunch but it took 30 minutes to get our soup and when we got it, it was cold. The rest of the dishes were very mediocre. My family was very disappointed.
- Disappointed...JessVIPDined on 6/6/2014Celebrated a friend's birthday here this year which also happened to be on a Friday night. Place was almost empty which is never a good sign. Ordered scotch at the end of the night and when we got the bill, we were charged for the more expensive one because there wasn't a button on the register to ring up the one I ordered? And when I asked for ice, I got charged for that, too! Who charges for ice in a drink? Apparently this restaurant is really feeling the drought! Food was OK, but not worth going back for. :(
- returntripVIPDined on 6/6/2014Always a great meal whether here or in Pebble Beach. Blackened Tuna is to die for, as are the ribs. Delish!Special Features:
- Dependable restaurantLindaDined on 5/11/2014The food was good but a little expensive. The pot sticker was ok, didn't taste the lobster, but the poke, was delicious. The scallops were just ok, not tasty but The butterfish was good. We had chocolate soufflé which was good. Overall we felt the food was good but a little over price!Special Features:
- great experience!littlebrowngirlDined on 5/11/2014I took my sister and mom here for Mothers Day. There were 8 of us total with two kids. We came a bit early for aloha hour and the drinks we had were really good. I ordered the pineapple sangria, my boyfriend ordered the 1988, and my mom had a skinny margarita. It took a bit longer for the bartender to take our orders than I would have liked but the drinks made up for the wait. Our server was very courteous and did not "over-service" or "under-service" us. Not to mention, the food was delicious. Although, my sister and her husband did mention that the quantity was a bit small for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Roy'sFrederickDined on 3/11/2014I have had many lunches at Roy's over the years; usually, someone else makes the reservations so i have not been called on for a review until now. it is an excellent restaurant with great food, service that is both efficient and friendly and a large dining room that is very attractive and comfortable. The food is imaginative and well-prepared and it is possible for two or more diners to order enough appetizers and sampler plates to give a clear experience of the kitchen staff's expertise. I love it and look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJerry3VIPDined on 3/9/2014It's been sometime since I've been there and found the quality of food and service had gone down. My prior experiences delivered a higher standard.
- Disappointing againPamelaVIPDined on 2/28/2014We had just eaten at Roys Rancho Mirage and it was 10 times better - food and service. The osso bucco was bland. The dinner plates were so hot that they kept cooking the food - my butterfish was mushy. Our coffee was served warm - NOT hot. We mentioned this to the waitress and our refills were also warm and NOT hot. This is the 3rd time we have been disappointed - we will not be back.Special Features:
- I felt it was very wrong toDougVIPDined on 2/26/2014I felt it was very wrong to accept a reservation for 6:30 (made at 6:15) and then when we arrived on time, to explain we would have to wait for 1/2 hour for the table. It got worse. The hostess explained that they had a private party reservation for 40 so the usual number of tables were not available and "I guess we should have blocked Open Table"
- Sweet 16 Birthday TreatDIDIVIPDined on 2/17/2014We have dined at Roys restaurants in Oahu! Maui and Kauai and introduced Roy's in SF to my niece around Christmastime last year. When asked where she wanted to have her special birthday celebration she chose Roy's . She loves Roy's Szechuan pork ribs! We prefer seafood. Fusion cooking has become one of our delights. The food, wine, and service were outstanding. Although they were 'out of' our initial selection of wine, the wine steward apologized in person and offered a different varietal which was perfect for my husband and I. My niece enjoyed selecting a couple of fancy drinks from the menu - virgin of course. They brought out the happy birthday dessert plate which made my niece's day. Thank you Roy's for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food, but priceyBerkyDined on 2/4/2014The food and ambiance at Roy's is always great, but their prices seem to have gotten much higher, recently. It is usually relatively quiet to allow for good conversation, unless the place is full. Then it gets a bit noisier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/28/2014Hosted two others at Roy's. Since I've been to several other locations and liked the food and wine list, I figured it to be a no-brainer. It was. Food and service were excellent. The wine list, very large and has interesting finds, is a bit pricy. The noise level is a.bit high. Overall, a great place to host a business dinner.Special Features:
- The "Buttah" FIsh is Great...AlwaysFoodieChapVIPDined on 1/28/2014I've been to Roy's almost everywhere and this was my first venture to the SF location. My only criticism ever of Roy's was the locations of his restaurants. The only 2 standout locations I've ever been to were the Pebble Beach location at the Spanish Bay Inn and The Tavern at the Princeville Golf Course. Nonetheless, the food was amazing. Ahi appetizers were delish followed by the main course, "buttahfish" (pronounced as if with a Hawaiian accent).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityJohnBDined on 1/18/2014Took my 2 1/2 year old along with new born. Lively restaraunt, great for kid noise and distraction. Parking is horrible in South Market business district. Impeccable service, great food,somewhat limited menu, nice wine list. Recommended, but does not compare to Roy's Pebble Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit was a very pleasantTravellerVIPDined on 1/18/2014First visit was a very pleasant experience - food, service and atmosphere were all wonderful. Fish selection is quite varied and preparation of the butter fish was very tasty. Sufficient non seafood items are available for non fish lovers. Well worth a trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Overall but Food was LackingCharlesHVIPDined on 1/15/2014Been here before, loved location, vibrancy and attention to detail by the team; however, food seemed bland - especially for the price. Might be a better idea to load-up on appetizers and skip entrees.Special Features:
- A pleasant evening, vegetarian noteKeithSFVIPDined on 1/13/2014FYI for vegetarians, ask for the vegetarian menu which is separate from the regular menu. I ordered the teriyaki Portobello mushroom from that, but I have to say I was disappointed. Way too sweet for me. But honestly, the waiter suggested a tofu dish and I probably should have listened. My partner did enjoy the fish entrée he had though. We had a bottle of California sparkling and I thought the price was reasonable. Service was courteous, but I found it odd I had to ask for an ice bucket for the champagne. The waiter just set it on the table and I asked for the bucket next time he came by. We were there to celebrate a birthday and they brought a nice complementary dessert. We liked the ambiance quite a bit. Classy but not fussy.Special Features:
- ComfortableTravelingDined on 1/3/2014Roy's was a very nice place. The food was good and the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food... Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/2/2014During a recent vacation stay in San Francisco, we ate several fine restaurants. Roy's was the family favorite. All the dishes were unique and excellent. Plus, the service was top-notch. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's Is Consistently GreatLLCDVIPDined on 1/2/2014I can always count on Roy's to deliver excellent food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seriously going downhill.....GlassgoddessVIPDined on 1/1/2014As much as I love Roy's in general, the SF location has gone downhill. Maybe it was because it was New Year's Day? I don't know but from the moment we walked in it felt different. first we were seated at possibly the worst table in the restaurant (we had reservations well in advance) and the restaurant was not full.-felt like we were sitting in the kitchen. I asked to be moved and they did move us - that was great. We ordered the spring rolls which were extremely greasy-I wanted to send them back but I didn't. I ordered the butterfish (which I always do) and it was totally different - not a good sear on the fish and extremely salty. Our server was borderline rude-I ordered a Hawaiian Martini first thing and she claimed I did not order it.