Roy's - La Jolla
8670 Genesee Avenue
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://roysrestaurant.com/locations/CA/la_jolla.asp
- Phone: 8584551616
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday only 11:30am to 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday & Monday: 5:00 - 9:00pm
Aloha Hour offered daily 4:30pm - 6:30pm in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Andres
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events:
PACIFIC RIM COOKING CLASS
Third Saturdays, Noon - 2 pm
$50 per person
(price includes lunch, experience, one class of wine, excludes tax and gratuity)
Join Chef Charles Andres and learn to create the quintessential Pacific Rim experience in your own home. At this special lunch and learn, you'll discover the skills needed to recreate each of these dishes at home, to the delight of your friends and family! Monthly classes are seasonally themed, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org of call (858) 455-1616 for details.
Waina Hui (wine club) is our monthly gathering of friends to sample wines from around the world and to share in the enticing flavors of Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion cuisine.
Cost is $25 per guest and tastings are held monthly from 5:00-6:30pm and include a sampling of Roy’s signature appetizers. Reservations required.
A word from Roy's - La Jolla
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Roy's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Roy's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)fit for foodies (66)good for groups (36)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (32)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (17)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Roy's has been one of our family's favorites for years and continues to be. The food is consistently delicious and service perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantChristmasDinerDined on 9/14/2014Another great dinner and promotion at Roy's! I'm glad you are in the neighborhood, and provide many opportunities to come and enjoy new food and drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold Edamame and serviceAaronDined on 9/14/2014Our waiter treated us almost like we did not exist. Our bill was 73$ for the two of us and it was obvious he was put off that we didn't order more. The Edmame was cold and when we asked for a replacement.... it never came. Finally, we aked another server and it came but again cold. This was my fiance' birthday and they put some ribbon the table but did nothing more (oh, the maitre d did come buy and said "Happy Birthday" but when we explained our issues, he just apologized and moved on. We won't be back. Our server did not deliver our food, he was virtually never present and I had to chase down the hostess to give her my credit card because we couldn't find him for 15 minutes - no exaggeration). We tipped well but probably a mistake.Special Features:
- We are glad we revisited Roy'sPeteHVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had not been to a Roy's for years but are glad we revisited. The service was great and the food was outstanding. I had the Hamachi which was as good as I have ever had including Hawaii. My wife and I had the butterfish and it melted in your mouth. Roy' has won us back as regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoccVIPDined on 9/13/2014One more time we enjoyed the Roy's Trio of fish plates, along with very nice martinisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014food and service was amazing! cant wait to go back in 2 days!!! spicy seafood hot pot and the butterfish are to die for:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulKimboDined on 9/12/2014Such a great ambiance and the staff is very friendly, the food is fantastic, definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014Butterfish was excellent, other dishes good, but portions were small for the high price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014wait was 20 min over our reservation and we got there a good amount of time before our reservation. waiting for food as well took awhile. we were there for 2 hours. they did bring out a complimentary appetizer plate for my little one who was hungry though. excellent service just took forever to eat.Special Features:
- oldproOldproDined on 8/31/2014Other than messing up the reservation my checking us in under the wrong name, which resulted in not recognizing that it was our anniversary, the overall dinner was quite good. The portions were just the right amount and quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of hawaiidisappointingVIPDined on 8/31/2014We first experienced Roy's in Maui and loved it. We then visited the Anaheim location and were seriously disappointed. We cautiously visited UTC and were pleasantly surprised to find the same friendly service and great food as the original experience. The menu is unique and therefore a good choice for a break from "normal" a/k/a same old even if tasty. We will certainly revisit again in the near future.Special Features:
- maryDined on 8/31/2014I'm more than a little disappointed that so much has been removed from the bar bites menu, including the coconut drink my husband loves so much. Don't remember exactly what it's called, frappe maybe? Apparently it's been removed altogether. The rest of our night was good though. Still disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely anniversary dinneralwayshungryVIPDined on 8/30/2014We arrived to celebrate our anniversary and were immediately greeted with, "Happy Anniversary" by the hostess. When we were seated, our table was decorated, John K. our server couldn't have been more gracious, and if you haven't had their chocolate souffle, OMG, it was amazing. They also took our picture and gave it to us in a souvenir frame. On another occasion, we celebrated a birthday at Roy's, and Roy's consistently creates memorable special occasions. Thanks for a very special evening!Special Features:
- Roy's ReviewluvgoodfoodDined on 8/30/2014Made a reservation for 7:45. Were seated at 8:15. No real communication from hostess unless I asked how much longer the wait would be. Much better experience if you dine earlier. Always great food, but asked for a second drink - which never came. Asked for more wasabi, which never came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealdebgcDined on 8/30/2014Excellent service. We were provided the edamame when we sat down; great flavor. My "butterfish" was cooked perfectly. We took the kids. While the kids menu was pricey ($13), my kids loved it and said they felt well taken care of - included a little appetizer, meal, drink and dessert. We had the chocolate souffle which was outstanding.Special Features:
- WonderfulaunttotwoDined on 8/30/2014I love the Torch lights outside. I reminds me of the islands. The food is delicious and presented so beautifully. My favorite dessert is the chocolate soufflé. The atmosphere is lovely. The waiters are attentive and remembered I preferred no ice in my water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experiencexyzaDined on 8/29/2014Food preparation and presentation were outstanding. Quality and flavors were exceptional. Service was the best.Special Features:
- Walked outSocalFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014I am a fan of Roy's for signature dishes, so it was disappointing to me that 3 favorite signature dishes were either 1. No longer available or 2. Recipe changed up at this location. Case in point: calamari, awesome dish with chili sauce, now it's your typical breaded calamari you would get at any sports bar. This is one example. Server also acted "put out" when one request after another was no longer available. We sent the calamari back and ended walking out and made a quick reservation at Ruth Chris. This type of service wouldve NEVER happened at Newport, Anaheim or even Marina location. Will not be coming back.
- foodie99VIPDined on 8/25/2014Been to many different Roy 's. The food quality of this location is the worst. But, Roy's is Roy's, I will still go Roy's, but just not going to be this one.
- Amazingly satisfying & consistentFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014We started dinning at Roy's about two years ago. We started in Hawaii and then continued in San Diego. I think we're up to about six visits and have enjoyed every one of them. The service, food and ambiance are all top notch. I highly recommend Roy's.Special Features:
- Food good/Service BADMars28Dined on 8/23/2014I've eaten at Roy's before and, as usual, the food here was excellent; love the butterfish, the lobster roll appetizer and of course the chocolate soufflé - no complaints there. HOWEVER, our server was the worst I've had at any restaurant. Ignored us the entire meal, even when he finally came by to clear our plates he didn't speak or ask if we needed anything. We felt as though they just wanted the table back, even though we'd been there barely an hour. When I finally asked a bus boy for more wine, our server came by and said "You want more wine?" very unfriendly. When he brought the bill, he slapped it on our table as he walked by - very rude! Maybe he was having a bad night but a simple "so sorry, I'm swamped" would have gone a long way.Special Features:
- FunAnonymousVIPDined on 8/22/2014We received a few gift cards to encourage us to try Roy's again. We're glad we did! The food is phenomenal. The sushi is some of the best we've had. The restaurant is v loud but is also a great place for families or groups. We had a good time & will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Restaurant!!Mimi88Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I had a great experience dining there. The survive is outstanding. The staff are very friendly. We'll definitely dine there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing for the PriceelandelsbVIPDined on 8/21/2014I'm a long-time Roy's patron. This visit & the 1 before were disappointing. Noise level was too high, food was inconsistent & entrees were mediocre. My old stand-by, the butter fish, was drowned in miso sauce. All I could taste was miso & not the flavor of the fish itself. While the wait-staff was friendly, the bus-person made us feel rushed & the edamame starter was never offered. On our previous visit, we had a reservation & yet waited 1/2 hr to be seated. We were then seated in a smaller dining room with 2 tables of families w/over-active (ill-behaved) children. The wait-staff walked back-n-forth through the dining room to/from the kitchen & at one point a wait-staff carried the garbage through to the kitchen...unacceptable!!!
- Love Roy'sgrrrDined on 8/17/2014Roy's is one of our favorites, always something special...great new items and memorable favorites. The Szechuan Spiced Pork Ribs (appetizer or meal) and the Pineapple Cake with Coconut Ice Cream dessert are amazing. Ask about their prix fixe and other specials for great values and tasting opportunities. Our latest experience was made even better by Cody. Roy's waitstaff is consistently personable, knowledgeable and well-trained, however Cody raised the bar even higher. We had so many questions this visit yet Cody was patient, knowledgeable, helpful and has a great sense of humor. My husband, daughter and I all had a great meal and time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closest to Hawaii without a planeLaventuresDined on 8/16/2014We love Roy's for their friendly, fresh delivery of our favorites from the islands. We love Hawaii and when we are missing our second home (which is often) we run to Roy's for a shot of the aloha flavors and ambience.Special Features:
- NettyDined on 8/14/2014Exceptionally pleasant all employees greet and seem very sincere about thanking you for coming to the restaurant and wanting you to enjoy your experience. The food was wonderful....nice treat.Special Features:
- carmelDined on 8/12/2014Good service, good fish - can be a bit noisy (small dining room better for conversation)Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 8/10/2014Our waiter was outstanding - friendly and attentive but not overly so. It was a lovely dinner and I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wery dsappointing....sdfoodieDined on 8/3/2014On our first visit to Roy's in over a year we experienced the same problem that has kept us away...both our entrees - the macadamia crusted ahi and lobster pot pie so salty they were inedible. My husband scraped the crust off his fish to be able to eat it. The lobster pie was mainly filled with chunks of potato and very little lobster. They made an adjustment to our bill but still a disappointing evening all around. We won't be back.
- I Always Leave HappyNadoBobDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I have dined here several times this year including taking in their extraordinary happy hour specials. Note a good way to introduce yourself to this restaurant. I like martini's and the bartender(s) know how to make a good one here. Caution just have one if you are driving. This time we started with the Auntie Leila roll, aka rainbow roll. Wow was this guy fresh. Next my wife and split the Caesar salad which is not very traditional but is very tasty. It is split able but if you like lots of greens better go for one for yourself. Finally I had the yellow tail on the chef's specials and it was quite frankly out of this world. It is all good, that is why "I always leave Happy"!Special Features:
- LoriVIPDined on 7/30/2014Not for people who like to talk and dine. Way too loud.Special Features:
- Good food; hostess needs some workhungarydinerDined on 7/29/2014Very good dinner for our son's 17th birthday. The boys loved the lobster potstickers appetizer and the seared sea scallops over pork bellies was excellent. Our waiter was good and very helpful when we informed him that our daughter has celiac disease. There were several gluten free options and he checked on a few others that weren't clearly labeled. The hostess however deserves about 1 star. We arrived about 10-15 minutes before our reservation. She told us they were setting our table right now. After seating everyone around us (now 15 minutes after our reservation) I asked her again - they were setting our table right now. Ended up waiting 40 minutes total because she forgot about us (we overheard her talking to her co-worker).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMiloDined on 7/29/2014We had the seafood pot and the ribeye steak. Both were exceptionally good. We also had an ebe roll which was amazing. The waitress was great and kept in contact on a regular basis.Special Features:
- DisappointedNancyVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have been to Roy's a number of times and always liked the food. I loved my scallop dish. It was incredibly tasty. However, the caesar salad was awful: wilted lettuce and a dressing that tasted like solid mayonnaise. There was no fresh lemon/anchovie taste or shaved parmesean. It was more like a salad you'd expect at a coffee shop. The waitress was annoying. She asked for our order after just 2 minutes of being seated. We ordered a glass of wine each immediately and thought this would give us a chance to take our time. The waitress was back about 4 times within 10 minutes. That doesn't even give you a chance to read the menu. The young man who served the coffee was great, however.
- Started poor but ended wellRussoRantsAndRavesDined on 7/26/2014Thank goodness that we had a great server (Jamie?) b/c he made up for the lack of service that the hostess had. He took notice and brought us free potstickers. We ordered the scrumptous Ebi roll & Lobster Pot Pie and enjoyed having edamame instead of bread. Stuffed from our appetizers, we asked to have the pot pie boxed. Jamie asked if everything was delicious. We were ready to pay using our coupon that we received in the mail however the manager promptly came to our table and apologized for the poor service at the beginning of our experience and informed us that he was comping our meal. It wasn't necessary but he insisted and we gladly accepted. We will go back only because Jamie and the manager provided excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's NEVER disappointsSDJerryDined on 7/26/2014I have never received such wonderful service as I received at Roy's on July 26, 2014, which equaled the level of service we get at Roy's every single time we go there. They actually make us feel as if we are coveted patrons and they bend over backwards to make everything perfect. And they do. Their staff is clearly the best in the business, exceptionally well-selected and trained. Oh, yeah, the food is simply amazing too. Roy's is, far and away, my favorite seafood restaurant. Period. I love going to Roy's.Special Features:
- The best service I have ever hadKevkalVIPDined on 7/25/2014The service was unbelievable, it was the best I had ever seen! Even if the food was horrible, I would go back because of the service. Good thing the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fusion foodgreatDined on 7/25/2014We had a great anniversary dinner. I highly recommend the Lakanilau.roll and the butter fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing this timehoofmarkDined on 7/25/2014NOISE LEVEL DEAFENING BUT I CANNOT RATE IT PROPERLY ON FORM, portions smaller than past, no veggies just rice and protein, sides if ordered all had Chilli, menu stale, prices high for what we got. We can get better fish offerings in Del Mar, better selection, better ambience and for less money. Even with a 25$ discount our bill for a shared appetizer, two main courses, a beer and a glass of wine and coffee was past $110 and I had a small snack when i got home. We have eaten here many times and will probably not return. Service was attentive, food preparation was good as was the taste.