Roy's - La Jolla
8670 Genesee Avenue
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://roysrestaurant.com/locations/CA/la_jolla.asp
- Phone: (858) 455-1616
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday only 11:30am to 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday & Monday: 5:00 - 9:00pm
Aloha Hour offered daily 4:30pm - 6:30pm in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Andres
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events:
PACIFIC RIM COOKING CLASS
Third Saturdays, Noon - 2 pm
$50 per person
(price includes lunch, experience, one class of wine, excludes tax and gratuity)
Join Chef Charles Andres and learn to create the quintessential Pacific Rim experience in your own home. At this special lunch and learn, you'll discover the skills needed to recreate each of these dishes at home, to the delight of your friends and family! Monthly classes are seasonally themed, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org of call (858) 455-1616 for details.
Waina Hui (wine club) is our monthly gathering of friends to sample wines from around the world and to share in the enticing flavors of Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion cuisine.
Cost is $25 per guest and tastings are held monthly from 5:00-6:30pm and include a sampling of Roy’s signature appetizers. Reservations required.
A word from Roy's - La Jolla
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Roy's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Roy's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)special occasion (67)good for groups (38)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (23)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Consistently great food and ambiance!PaulDined on 11/21/2014I have been enjoying Roy's La Jolla for close to ten years, and it continues to satisfy with consistently good food and ambiance! The service was great as well, with just the right amount of attention without being in your face all night! For San Diego's best Pacific rim cuisine in a fun, upbeat and contemporary location, Roy's La Jolla is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable choiceDiningAroundDined on 11/16/2014I've eaten at Roy's several times at various locations, and the La Jolla location has never let me down. I've never had a problem with getting a reservation, even at the last minute, and even though the restaurant is nearly always crowded. Cocktails are good and meals are tasty, generously sized, and presented well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Roy's.CPgirlsDined on 11/15/2014They make great use of what produce is in season. Nice twist to their already delicious menu. I love the pairing menu, such a great deal for appetizer, entree, & dessert. The special martini offered was yummy, Asian pear martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Look our for the NoiseNapamelVIPDined on 11/13/2014We walked in and was hit by the noise from their busy sports bar which takes over most of the restaurant. We were able to get a table toward the back but I felt that the table was rather small for an up-scale venue. The service was very good. We felt that they are cutting corners with the food since we found out that the salmon is farmed and the fillet mignon that I had did not live up to expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceFamilymanDined on 11/9/2014My wife and love this place. Always have a great meal and the service is always amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentButtaFlyBlaqueDined on 11/6/2014Once again I had a great meal with excellent service!Special Features:
- great entrees, apps and dessert:mehMLNadoDined on 11/1/2014My husband and I used to live in Orange County. The Roy's there is top-notch---always has been. We have tried Roy's San Diego and, now, Roy's La Jolla. They just don't match up. Server was friendly and efficient. Appetizers were blah at best. I usually am more adventurous, but was in the mood for calamari, and intrigued at the concept of a thai basil chimichurri. Tried it. The crust tasted like fried flour--- and was cold. My husband had some beef brochettes with kim chi. The kim chi was yummy, brochettes--so-so. Entrees delicious: Seared scallops on pork belly, and seared tuna crusted with pumpkin seed. Pineapple upside-down cake was uneventful. Friendly atmosphere, convenient location.
- Chef needs a refresher courseDineOutDivasVIPDined on 11/1/2014The ahi poke was excellent, but the lobster roll had a slight odor of fish, and the lobster bisque, though tasty, was FAR too salty. Also, the portion was small with a very small lump of lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great except.ButtaFlyBlaqueDined on 10/30/2014Had a wonderful evening, the staff was amazing, the only thing I would change would be the noise level. Steaks were amazing; so amazing you have just replaced Fleming on my Greatest Steak ever list! And because of the care your staff took in the preparation and handling of my meal (severe seafood allergies) Roy's has made my "Safe" to eat here list. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Celebration Splurge!FoodieDined on 10/27/2014The October Monday night special deal is great. Same high quality food and service, no crowds, for a reasonable price. Additionally, we were having a birthday celebration and Roy's went all out to make it special. I was impressed. The sushi rolls were good, fresh and filling. Their butterfish that night very tender and well-seasoned sauce. The fish trio very good, but I would not recommend the seafood trio, the lobster was good, but the crab cake was small & boring. I don't understand why the sea bass was so expensive, but it was prepared well. If you want to splurge, go to Roy's. To eat at a good value- go on Monday night.Special Features:
- Not good at allOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014The sunday special I ordered was not that good. Not the normal Roy's food quality Plus the main course came before the salads. The main course was cold and not that good tasting. My friends food was also brought backwards main course then the salad. It was not that busy at the place. We both were very unhappy and didn't want to complain to the waitress. We should of ate somewhere else. Was not happy at all with meal. Had better food there before, spent like $80 for a Friday's restaurant type food. The happy hour for drinks was good at least.
- Lovely dining, but very overpricedPattiDined on 10/26/2014When we chose Roy's for a special farewell dinner for our friends, we knew it was a very upscale place. However we were disappointed in the cuisine. Don't get me wrong, it was okay. However the portion sizes were very small and the food itself was not extremely special…two of us ordered the macadamia crusted mahi-mahi and the fish was almost overcooked. Not exactly what you expect for a $35 entrée. The chocolate soufflé for dessert was delicious, but not much bigger than a silver dollar. All in all, a nice meal but not a good value for your dollar… Or your hundreds of dollars.Special Features:
- ChrissieVIPDined on 10/25/2014This was our first visit and we both were delighted with our evening. The food was excellent as was the service. Parking is very convenient since it's in a mid sized mall. There is no view or patio but the interior is in a very contemporary styling (dark with splashes of red) but done tastefully. I would recommend Roy's for a special evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailPeteMVIPDined on 10/24/2014We came for our 15-year wedding anniversary. Roy's was very accommodating and multiple staff congratulated us, not to mention a special notice inside our menus. Food was excellent as usual - though service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/10/2014We were fortunate to have a good waiter and an even more attentive/accomodating busboy. Hibachi salmon was on the fishy sidr.sauce was bland. Shrimp wowie salad was nicely presented but tasteless. Filet mignon perfectly cooked and tasteful. Overall an okay meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great celebration venueOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/9/2014Wonderful food (we had the local chef's specials), attentive staff, lovely little birthday dessert (two perfect little macademia tarts). Even had a "happy birthday" insert in my menu! A bit pricey for every day but totally worth it for a celebration. They do have a nice bar and apparently a bar menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingIHeartFoodDined on 10/3/2014Arrived a little before our reservations to enjoy a cocktail in the lounge. Ordered a sangria, boyfriend had Mai Tai…sooooo disappointed. They were incredibly sweet, so much that I sent mine back (which I rarely do since I don't like being "that" person) and my bf felt guilty about it so didn't send his back, although did not enjoy it at all. Dinner was good, but for the price, fell below expectation. Calamari app was good but was VERY small for the nearly $14 price tag on it…seared ahi was pretty good, but the crusted mahi was pretty dry, and the sides they came with left much to be desired. Expected better from a Hawaiian fusion cuisine, as we really wanted to like this place after reading such great reviews. =(
- Most enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014Had a most enjoyable lunch. Love the Butterfish and Melting Chocolate Cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Restaurant Week Deals?Video360Dined on 9/29/2014We had a terrific dinner at Roy's La Jolla (UTC, actually.) Started at the bar, where the Hawaiian Cocktail was refreshing. We were seated at an awkward table location, with lots of traffic, even though our reservation was early (5:45pm) and the restaurant was nearly empty. We could only look longingly at the empty booths - they looked so comfortable. After a glass of wine each, I decided that it was a better value to simply order a bottle - a solid Chardonnay. She had the Filet with Lobster, and I had the Scallops. The surprising thing was that there was no SD Restaurant Week dinner deal offered. I had to suppress the bitter feeling I had when the bill totaled over $200. Granted, it was a terrific meal, but a modest one for the money.Special Features:
- Surprisingly mediocreLM56Dined on 9/21/2014I'm sorry to say food was only okay. My sea bass was tasteless (and I made mistake of not reading that it was tempura style). My son's bone-in rib eye was filled with gristle. My husband's steak & lobster was very good. We pointed out gristle to waitress who said she'd notify manager but he never responded. While I was gone from table, manager brought our dessert but said nothing. Later waiter said dessert was comped. So, why didn't the manager just say, "I'm sorry about your meal, this dessert is comped"? Odd. Nice place and we had nice appetizers. Not sure I'd try again.Special Features:
- Great Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Roy's has been one of our family's favorites for years and continues to be. The food is consistently delicious and service perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantChristmasDinerDined on 9/14/2014Another great dinner and promotion at Roy's! I'm glad you are in the neighborhood, and provide many opportunities to come and enjoy new food and drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold Edamame and serviceAaronDined on 9/14/2014Our waiter treated us almost like we did not exist. Our bill was 73$ for the two of us and it was obvious he was put off that we didn't order more. The Edmame was cold and when we asked for a replacement.... it never came. Finally, we aked another server and it came but again cold. This was my fiance' birthday and they put some ribbon the table but did nothing more (oh, the maitre d did come buy and said "Happy Birthday" but when we explained our issues, he just apologized and moved on. We won't be back. Our server did not deliver our food, he was virtually never present and I had to chase down the hostess to give her my credit card because we couldn't find him for 15 minutes - no exaggeration). We tipped well but probably a mistake.Special Features:
- We are glad we revisited Roy'sPeteHVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had not been to a Roy's for years but are glad we revisited. The service was great and the food was outstanding. I had the Hamachi which was as good as I have ever had including Hawaii. My wife and I had the butterfish and it melted in your mouth. Roy' has won us back as regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoccVIPDined on 9/13/2014One more time we enjoyed the Roy's Trio of fish plates, along with very nice martinisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014food and service was amazing! cant wait to go back in 2 days!!! spicy seafood hot pot and the butterfish are to die for:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulKimboDined on 9/12/2014Such a great ambiance and the staff is very friendly, the food is fantastic, definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2014Butterfish was excellent, other dishes good, but portions were small for the high price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014wait was 20 min over our reservation and we got there a good amount of time before our reservation. waiting for food as well took awhile. we were there for 2 hours. they did bring out a complimentary appetizer plate for my little one who was hungry though. excellent service just took forever to eat.Special Features:
- oldproOldproDined on 8/31/2014Other than messing up the reservation my checking us in under the wrong name, which resulted in not recognizing that it was our anniversary, the overall dinner was quite good. The portions were just the right amount and quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of hawaiidisappointingVIPDined on 8/31/2014We first experienced Roy's in Maui and loved it. We then visited the Anaheim location and were seriously disappointed. We cautiously visited UTC and were pleasantly surprised to find the same friendly service and great food as the original experience. The menu is unique and therefore a good choice for a break from "normal" a/k/a same old even if tasty. We will certainly revisit again in the near future.Special Features:
- maryDined on 8/31/2014I'm more than a little disappointed that so much has been removed from the bar bites menu, including the coconut drink my husband loves so much. Don't remember exactly what it's called, frappe maybe? Apparently it's been removed altogether. The rest of our night was good though. Still disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely anniversary dinneralwayshungryVIPDined on 8/30/2014We arrived to celebrate our anniversary and were immediately greeted with, "Happy Anniversary" by the hostess. When we were seated, our table was decorated, John K. our server couldn't have been more gracious, and if you haven't had their chocolate souffle, OMG, it was amazing. They also took our picture and gave it to us in a souvenir frame. On another occasion, we celebrated a birthday at Roy's, and Roy's consistently creates memorable special occasions. Thanks for a very special evening!Special Features:
- Roy's ReviewluvgoodfoodDined on 8/30/2014Made a reservation for 7:45. Were seated at 8:15. No real communication from hostess unless I asked how much longer the wait would be. Much better experience if you dine earlier. Always great food, but asked for a second drink - which never came. Asked for more wasabi, which never came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealdebgcDined on 8/30/2014Excellent service. We were provided the edamame when we sat down; great flavor. My "butterfish" was cooked perfectly. We took the kids. While the kids menu was pricey ($13), my kids loved it and said they felt well taken care of - included a little appetizer, meal, drink and dessert. We had the chocolate souffle which was outstanding.Special Features:
- WonderfulaunttotwoDined on 8/30/2014I love the Torch lights outside. I reminds me of the islands. The food is delicious and presented so beautifully. My favorite dessert is the chocolate soufflé. The atmosphere is lovely. The waiters are attentive and remembered I preferred no ice in my water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experiencexyzaDined on 8/29/2014Food preparation and presentation were outstanding. Quality and flavors were exceptional. Service was the best.Special Features:
- Walked outSocalFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014I am a fan of Roy's for signature dishes, so it was disappointing to me that 3 favorite signature dishes were either 1. No longer available or 2. Recipe changed up at this location. Case in point: calamari, awesome dish with chili sauce, now it's your typical breaded calamari you would get at any sports bar. This is one example. Server also acted "put out" when one request after another was no longer available. We sent the calamari back and ended walking out and made a quick reservation at Ruth Chris. This type of service wouldve NEVER happened at Newport, Anaheim or even Marina location. Will not be coming back.
- foodie99VIPDined on 8/25/2014Been to many different Roy 's. The food quality of this location is the worst. But, Roy's is Roy's, I will still go Roy's, but just not going to be this one.
- Amazingly satisfying & consistentFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014We started dinning at Roy's about two years ago. We started in Hawaii and then continued in San Diego. I think we're up to about six visits and have enjoyed every one of them. The service, food and ambiance are all top notch. I highly recommend Roy's.Special Features: