Roy's - La Jolla
8670 Genesee Avenue
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://roysrestaurant.com/locations/CA/la_jolla.asp
- Phone: (858) 455-1616
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday only 11:30am to 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday & Monday: 5:00 - 9:00pm
Aloha Hour offered daily 4:30pm - 6:30pm in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Andres
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events:
PACIFIC RIM COOKING CLASS
Third Saturdays, Noon - 2 pm
$50 per person
(price includes lunch, experience, one class of wine, excludes tax and gratuity)
Join Chef Charles Andres and learn to create the quintessential Pacific Rim experience in your own home. At this special lunch and learn, you'll discover the skills needed to recreate each of these dishes at home, to the delight of your friends and family! Monthly classes are seasonally themed, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org of call (858) 455-1616 for details.
Waina Hui (wine club) is our monthly gathering of friends to sample wines from around the world and to share in the enticing flavors of Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion cuisine.
Cost is $25 per guest and tastings are held monthly from 5:00-6:30pm and include a sampling of Roy’s signature appetizers. Reservations required.
A word from Roy's - La Jolla
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Roy's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Roy's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (70)fit for foodies (67)good for groups (39)romantic (37)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (22)notable wine list (16)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Roys in La Jolla is a suretapasDined on 3/31/2011Roys in La Jolla is a sure thing and always our 'go to ' restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- Took a friend to Roy's forCoronadoDinerVIPDined on 3/15/2011Took a friend to Roy's for her first visit to celebrate her birthday. As she is a former caterer and a stellar chef, I wanted to take her to a restaurant that would impress. We both had fantastic dinners. While there are many entrees to choose from, the prix fixe menu was an excellent choice for both of us. The price is right, and the quality of the food is just as good as anything on the regular menu. I've never had a bad meal at Roy's. The service is attentive but not overbearing - just right! You will always feel welcome at Roy's.Special Features:
- Always wonderful. Food issdguy1024Dined on 3/14/2011Always wonderful. Food is just absolutely fantastic, and the service is always exemplary. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- We celebrated my husband'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/11/2011We celebrated my husband's birthday at Roy's last Friday night. We had a group of 12 so first we ordered a lot of appetizers to share that were all delicious. After that we enjoyed our entrees, which were also very good. The butterfish seemed to get the best review, while the salmon got the worst. We also shared desserts and the chocolate volcano was to die for! We had a fantastic evening!Special Features:
- The Butterfish is the bestJDESQVIPDined on 2/27/2011The Butterfish is the best thing on the menu. Ribs were fantastic too.Special Features:
- Great restaurant with evenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/25/2011Great restaurant with even better service. They took care of us with out hovering. Made my girlfriend's birthday very special. We will be back.Special Features:
- Another Spectacular Dinner at Roys!JohnKVIPDined on 2/18/2011No better place to celebrate a Birthday or special occasion than Roy's La Jolla! Tonight the place was hopping and energetic. Still, my wife and I had a fantastic & romantic date night to toast her birthday! Typically we order a fish entree or sushi...but tonight I opted for the Rack of Lamb. WOW! 3 double cut ribs, tender and done to perfection! My wife went with 2 appetizers (her regular M.O.) the Shrimp and the Potstickers....the Chocolate Souffle for her birtday dessert was a given! We've been coming to Roy's La Jolla since they opened...10 years this April...and will continue to be a regular as Brian and Percy raise the bar each and every night! John & BethSpecial Features:
- Roy's is always good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/16/2011Roy's is always good. The food, the service, etc. It was our aniversary and they made it special. The only bad thing is the noise, no matter where you sit is very noisy, probably because it is always busy.Special Features:
- First time to try, will not be lastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/5/2011First time at Roy's will not be my last. Food was very good as it can be viewed as the "Fleming's Steakhouse" of seafood (I believe they are under the same management?). Had the Surf & Turf and my girlfriend had the Shellfish Sampler. Both really really good. Will come back if we are craving good seafood.Special Features:
- Food and service were great.love2travel1VIPDined on 2/5/2011Food and service were great. The only thing that bothered us was the noise level. There were four of us at the table and it was difficult to hear each other. Otherwise we had a very nice experience.Special Features:
- We have been to this Roy'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/1/2011We have been to this Roy's and several others, each time we are delighted with the fresh selections and great service.Special Features:
- Special, unique menu. My Mahi-MahiConnieVIPDined on 1/30/2011Special, unique menu. My Mahi-Mahi did come to me a bit undercooked and went back for another minute of cooking but overall a very nice dinner.Special Features:
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/26/2011We make a point of going to Roy's whenever we travel...we are deprived of a location in Portland. Best butterfish ever and the chocolate souffle is the stuff of dreams!Special Features:
- We both had a wonderful dinner.luluDined on 1/24/2011We both had a wonderful dinner. I had the Roy's Trio, 3 differnt fish(salmon,ahi and butterfish) which was outstanding. My husband had the Blackened Ahi Tuna which he loved. We started with the crispy calamari which was delicous and ended with pineapple upside down cake with pineappple-coconut ice cream, Yummy!! The service was excellent, our restaurant bent over backwards to make us happy. We will definately be back.Special Features:
- Went during Restaurant Week.FirstTimerDined on 1/21/2011Went during Restaurant Week. Appetizers and entrees were all very good, although pretty simple and straight forward. I cleaned both of my plates and would order the same items again without hesitation. However, I thought my dessert (Pineapple Upside Down Cake) was very dry and mediocre at best. It reminded me of eating a 2 day old muffin. The service was outstanding from start to finish. The hostesses were all super friendly, as was the server, the expo, the busser... it was all a pleasant surprise considering it was Restaurant Week. Even though the dessert was forgetable, the rest of the experience would definitely bring me back again.Special Features:
- Great place for birthdayskellydDined on 1/21/2011Great place for birthdays or any days. It was wonderful food and great service.Special Features:
- This was a last minute reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/15/2011This was a last minute reservation (2 adults 1 child under three) we arrived to warm faces and welcoming staff. We had the only child in the 80% occupied place. The waiter nailed the kid service and delivered our food fast and hot. Thank you for a great night. Just what we needed.Special Features:
- Good food, nice ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/4/2011Good food, nice ambiance, employees need some work thoughSpecial Features:
- We were there on New Year'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2010We were there on New Year's Eve and had the Prix Fixe menu. Outstanding food. Great service. One of our dishes was late, and they kindly adjusted our bill without our asking.Special Features:
- Fixed menu on new years eveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2010Fixed menu on new years eve created limitations of selecting popular items on the traditional Roy's menu. The classic butter fish and seared ahi were not on the menu as were the short ribs and lobster potstickers. I recommend Roy's still but hesitant to go again with their fixed menu.
- Great for that special nightSteveDDined on 12/31/2010Great for that special night out or a business dinner. Consistently great food and great service. One of my favorite San Diego restaurantsSpecial Features:
- Dined here many times withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2010Dined here many times with the normal menu and would recommend them. But, not a good place for holiday meal. The prix fixe menu was disappointing. The boneless fish was not. The dessert was not worth eating.
- We went on December 30th andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/30/2010We went on December 30th and it was quite busy, by 7pm all of the tables were taken. They have a great sushi happy hour that starts at 5 and since our reservation was for 6pm we had though about going to it but decided against it. Unfortunately, when we sat down for dinner and were about to order a sushi platter, the server informed us that they were completely out all sushi, sahsimi, and basically all fish that could be eaten raw and said that there wouldn't be anymore available for at least 30 minutes. We thought that was too long and ordered our entrees. However, we ended up waiting for 45 minutes to get our entrees and 30 minutes for fried appetizers. Our food was excellent when it came - seared ahi, shellfish sampler, and butterfish.Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/29/2010Really enjoyed the dining experience. Excellent seafood prepared in a innovated manner. Server knowledgeable and helpful!!Special Features:
- Fantastic food, attentiveCathyMcGVIPDined on 12/28/2010Fantastic food, attentive service without being overly pushy. Love the lobster potstickers!Special Features:
- It isn't the best food butksalDined on 12/26/2010It isn't the best food but the food is always consistently good; Not great but Good. The service is always attentive and solid. I would recommend for before movie spot or somewhere that you don't have to worry about it being a big production.
- With the "open kitchen" layout,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/4/2010With the "open kitchen" layout, it seemed a bit noisy. It was difficult to have a conversation at our table for 4. The table seemed a bit large for 4 persons, as well. Service is great. On the $$$$ side, we thought.Special Features:
- While traveling for work,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/29/2010While traveling for work, I have visited several times -- once with a small group and the remainder solo. The service personnel have been at best indifferent if not off-putting. Each time the hostesses have had me wait for a table despite showing up on time and having a good number of open tables on the floor. They also insist on putting me at a small table next to the bar which is noisier than I want as I would like to enjoy my book; also they seated a couple with a small child next to me. My server rarely made eye contact and most of the time placed the food on my table while turned away from me. On this last trip, the calamari was uncharacteristically greasy. I will likely not return unless I get another carving for the Butterfish.Special Features:
- This time the food was slightlyHarryVIPDined on 11/19/2010This time the food was slightly too salty, but otherwise good. Good service.
- The food was great, and IOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2010The food was great, and I am so happy to have discovered a restaurant in my neighborhood that has a gluten free menu. There hardly are any restaurants that have it, let alone in my area.
- The food was excellent andVegasMau5Dined on 11/5/2010The food was excellent and our waiter was very helpful in making a selection. It is Hawaiian fusion, so we didn't really have a clue about what to order. Our waiter David explained everything to us and made some very good recommendations. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for the food and service.
- We can't get enough of Roy's!JohnKVIPDined on 10/30/2010We can't get enough of Roy's! Be adventurous and try something on the menu you've never had before. Your taste buds will say, "Mahalo"! john & bethSpecial Features:
- Roy's is a staple in our household.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2010Roy's is a staple in our household. We can always depend on good food, service & ambiance.Special Features:
- Beautiful presentation, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/23/2010Beautiful presentation, great dessert, steaks were good but not outstanding.
- Roy's in any town is worthMsRoxieVIPDined on 10/17/2010Roy's in any town is worth more than one visit. The atmosphere is casual but the food is seriously well prepared.Special Features:
- Wow! Roy's ceases to amazeJohnKVIPDined on 10/16/2010Wow! Roy's ceases to amaze us every time we visit! Honestly, we could go every single week and never get tired of the kitchens creativity, the fantastic service and the energy level of the entire restaurant! Truly our favorite restaurant in San Diego! john & bethSpecial Features:
- Except for the noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2010Except for the noise level which made conversation difficult to hear, our experience at Roy's was memorable. Attentive wait staff, food that was especially delicious and overall friendliness of the staff made for a delightful experience. David, our waiter, guided us through menu choices and helped insure excellent food selections. A very personable young man.Special Features:
- The quality of the food isErnieDined on 9/29/2010The quality of the food is good; very small portions; and noise level is extremely loud! Not the place for a romantic anniversary celebration.Special Features:
- Our experience at this locationOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/23/2010Our experience at this location was mixed. The food was very good but it was so loud we had great difficulty talking within our table for four. Our server made several mistakes in our order that were corrected. Very different dining than in our previous time at Poipu.
- Great place for a specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2010Great place for a special occasion. The food, especially the Ahi Tuna (both the tartare and the mustard sauce entree) and the Butterfish were exceptionally delicious. The anniversary dessert was a welcome surprise. Excellent service from all the staff.Special Features: