Roy's - La Jolla
8670 Genesee Avenue
San Diego, CA 92122Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - La Jolla
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://roysrestaurant.com/locations/CA/la_jolla.asp
- Phone: 8584551616
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday only 11:30am to 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
Sunday & Monday: 5:00 - 9:00pm
Aloha Hour offered daily 4:30pm - 6:30pm in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Andres
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events:
PACIFIC RIM COOKING CLASS
Third Saturdays, Noon - 2 pm
$50 per person
(price includes lunch, experience, one class of wine, excludes tax and gratuity)
Join Chef Charles Andres and learn to create the quintessential Pacific Rim experience in your own home. At this special lunch and learn, you'll discover the skills needed to recreate each of these dishes at home, to the delight of your friends and family! Monthly classes are seasonally themed, so please email email@example.com of call (858) 455-1616 for details.
Waina Hui (wine club) is our monthly gathering of friends to sample wines from around the world and to share in the enticing flavors of Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion cuisine.
Cost is $25 per guest and tastings are held monthly from 5:00-6:30pm and include a sampling of Roy’s signature appetizers. Reservations required.
A word from Roy's - La Jolla
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
We invite you to join us at Roy's La Jolla located at the heart of La Jolla's bustling business district.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Roy's - La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Roy's - La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since April 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (63)fit for foodies (55)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (26)vibrant bar scene (22)kid-friendly (19)notable wine list (17)hot spot (14)great for lunch (11)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- Love Roy'sgrrrDined on 8/17/2014Roy's is one of our favorites, always something special...great new items and memorable favorites. The Szechuan Spiced Pork Ribs (appetizer or meal) and the Pineapple Cake with Coconut Ice Cream dessert are amazing. Ask about their prix fixe and other specials for great values and tasting opportunities. Our latest experience was made even better by Cody. Roy's waitstaff is consistently personable, knowledgeable and well-trained, however Cody raised the bar even higher. We had so many questions this visit yet Cody was patient, knowledgeable, helpful and has a great sense of humor. My husband, daughter and I all had a great meal and time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NettyDined on 8/14/2014Exceptionally pleasant all employees greet and seem very sincere about thanking you for coming to the restaurant and wanting you to enjoy your experience. The food was wonderful....nice treat.Special Features:
- carmelDined on 8/12/2014Good service, good fish - can be a bit noisy (small dining room better for conversation)Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 8/10/2014Our waiter was outstanding - friendly and attentive but not overly so. It was a lovely dinner and I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wery dsappointing....sdfoodieDined on 8/3/2014On our first visit to Roy's in over a year we experienced the same problem that has kept us away...both our entrees - the macadamia crusted ahi and lobster pot pie so salty they were inedible. My husband scraped the crust off his fish to be able to eat it. The lobster pie was mainly filled with chunks of potato and very little lobster. They made an adjustment to our bill but still a disappointing evening all around. We won't be back.
- I Always Leave HappyNadoBobDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I have dined here several times this year including taking in their extraordinary happy hour specials. Note a good way to introduce yourself to this restaurant. I like martini's and the bartender(s) know how to make a good one here. Caution just have one if you are driving. This time we started with the Auntie Leila roll, aka rainbow roll. Wow was this guy fresh. Next my wife and split the Caesar salad which is not very traditional but is very tasty. It is split able but if you like lots of greens better go for one for yourself. Finally I had the yellow tail on the chef's specials and it was quite frankly out of this world. It is all good, that is why "I always leave Happy"!Special Features:
- LoriVIPDined on 7/30/2014Not for people who like to talk and dine. Way too loud.Special Features:
- Good food; hostess needs some workhungarydinerDined on 7/29/2014Very good dinner for our son's 17th birthday. The boys loved the lobster potstickers appetizer and the seared sea scallops over pork bellies was excellent. Our waiter was good and very helpful when we informed him that our daughter has celiac disease. There were several gluten free options and he checked on a few others that weren't clearly labeled. The hostess however deserves about 1 star. We arrived about 10-15 minutes before our reservation. She told us they were setting our table right now. After seating everyone around us (now 15 minutes after our reservation) I asked her again - they were setting our table right now. Ended up waiting 40 minutes total because she forgot about us (we overheard her talking to her co-worker).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMiloDined on 7/29/2014We had the seafood pot and the ribeye steak. Both were exceptionally good. We also had an ebe roll which was amazing. The waitress was great and kept in contact on a regular basis.Special Features:
- DisappointedNancyVIPDined on 7/28/2014I have been to Roy's a number of times and always liked the food. I loved my scallop dish. It was incredibly tasty. However, the caesar salad was awful: wilted lettuce and a dressing that tasted like solid mayonnaise. There was no fresh lemon/anchovie taste or shaved parmesean. It was more like a salad you'd expect at a coffee shop. The waitress was annoying. She asked for our order after just 2 minutes of being seated. We ordered a glass of wine each immediately and thought this would give us a chance to take our time. The waitress was back about 4 times within 10 minutes. That doesn't even give you a chance to read the menu. The young man who served the coffee was great, however.
- Started poor but ended wellRussoRantsAndRavesDined on 7/26/2014Thank goodness that we had a great server (Jamie?) b/c he made up for the lack of service that the hostess had. He took notice and brought us free potstickers. We ordered the scrumptous Ebi roll & Lobster Pot Pie and enjoyed having edamame instead of bread. Stuffed from our appetizers, we asked to have the pot pie boxed. Jamie asked if everything was delicious. We were ready to pay using our coupon that we received in the mail however the manager promptly came to our table and apologized for the poor service at the beginning of our experience and informed us that he was comping our meal. It wasn't necessary but he insisted and we gladly accepted. We will go back only because Jamie and the manager provided excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's NEVER disappointsSDJerryDined on 7/26/2014I have never received such wonderful service as I received at Roy's on July 26, 2014, which equaled the level of service we get at Roy's every single time we go there. They actually make us feel as if we are coveted patrons and they bend over backwards to make everything perfect. And they do. Their staff is clearly the best in the business, exceptionally well-selected and trained. Oh, yeah, the food is simply amazing too. Roy's is, far and away, my favorite seafood restaurant. Period. I love going to Roy's.Special Features:
- The best service I have ever hadKevkalVIPDined on 7/25/2014The service was unbelievable, it was the best I had ever seen! Even if the food was horrible, I would go back because of the service. Good thing the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fusion foodgreatDined on 7/25/2014We had a great anniversary dinner. I highly recommend the Lakanilau.roll and the butter fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing this timehoofmarkDined on 7/25/2014NOISE LEVEL DEAFENING BUT I CANNOT RATE IT PROPERLY ON FORM, portions smaller than past, no veggies just rice and protein, sides if ordered all had Chilli, menu stale, prices high for what we got. We can get better fish offerings in Del Mar, better selection, better ambience and for less money. Even with a 25$ discount our bill for a shared appetizer, two main courses, a beer and a glass of wine and coffee was past $110 and I had a small snack when i got home. We have eaten here many times and will probably not return. Service was attentive, food preparation was good as was the taste.
- Anniversary dinnerDianaDined on 7/24/2014We enjoyed celebrating our wedding anniversary at Roys this year. It was our first visit. Loved the casual friendly atmosphere. Servers were super friendly. Food was amazing. We had the butterfish and rib eye, which we shared. Both prepared perfectly with so much flavor. We had the kimchee and tempera vegetables on the side to share as well. The drinks were delicious. We had a seasonal Cosmopolitan and the Mai Tai.. Such great flavor. Top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant poor wine listLarryDined on 7/21/2014One issue was that we had a 6:45 reservation and weren't seated til 7:15. The noise level at the holding level was very high. Once in, the service was great . Food was outstanding but pricey. Wine list for a place that serves fish was way too red heavy with high tannins for fish. Even the Pinot Noirs were heavy type.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodLP48Dined on 7/18/2014Good food! However, the portions were very small. I ordered the Roy's Trio platter and it came with 3 bite size fishes. After an hour or two, I was hungry again. The 3-course meal that my husband ordered was a better option.Special Features:
- special lunch spotkpigVIPDined on 7/18/2014I love it that Roy's is open for lunch on Fridays. What a treat. I took my 8 yr old grandson for a special lunch. We had such a good time. Roy's does a wonderful job getting food to kids quickly and it's quality food. He loves the appetizer of cheese quesadilla, fruit and celery with dip, his main course of the teriyaki salmon and the sundae and the Edamame--he ate every bite and helped me with my dessert. Roy's has a fabulous petite filet. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Aloha HourPeteMVIPDined on 7/13/2014Prices are reasonable and you can try a variety of items when they are all nearly half price (including drinks). Nice that it goes until 7pm as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/1/2014Roy's never disappoints with their seafood and GREAT Hawaiian martini!Special Features:
- They Did It Right For UsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014I love good salmon, and theirs was truly exceptional. I pride myself on being a pretty good seafood cook, but I'm still wondering how they kept the salmon so moist. Expertly seasoned, too. I also prize professional service, and everyone working there understands exactly what that is. Attentive, cheerful, bright, but genuine and focused on the diners' experience. The atmosphere was casually elegant and the nearly full house was buzzing lightly with happy customers, but not too loud. We expected good but got great. We'll look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Good Food but OverpricedDisappointedDined on 6/18/2014While the food is very inventive and innovative, the price for the portion size is outrageous. Stick to the food in the bar at happy hour. Drinks are reasonably priced and so is the food.Special Features:
- Solid Place for a Work DinnerRichDined on 6/17/2014Had a great time with out of town vendors. It's close by work if you're in the UTC area and an early dinner is always easy - never too packed at 5:30 or 6 (though it can get a lot busier later). Their seafood never disappoints and tonight was no different. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- fantasticfrequentdinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014Roy's La Jolla is one of my favorite restaurants. The Father's Day special of filet and lobster was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great as usualWayneAZVIPDined on 6/13/2014Service and food quality is always great. The "butterfish" was the best I have anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost outstandingTLSDDined on 6/11/2014I could have rated this Restaurant outstanding but We felt like we are being rushed to finish because we were visited at least 3 times by the bus boy asking if we are done and if he can take our plate even though there is still food on it. I think it's beciase we pause eating and have conversation. I must say the food is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantRLBLVIPDined on 6/11/2014We celebrated our 3rd anniversary at Roy's and the staff & management made it extra special. As always the food never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special lunch with granddaughtersKGM1VIPDined on 6/6/2014Celebrating last day of school. Service was amazing. Great food and kid friendly menu without being limited to mac and cheese! The super sized sundaes included in the kid lunch were unexpected and delicious.Special Features:
- Great Place3jsssVIPDined on 6/5/2014It was our first time, and definitely won't be our last time. My husband and son had fish specials and they raved about them. I had the lobster roll and it was delicious. The service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's dinner!SashaDined on 6/1/2014My hubby and I went to Roy's for dinner on Sunday night. We made our reservation through OpenTable and when we arrived they had the reservation and the special note I had added to my reservation. I requested a booth and they were able to seat us at one. Our meal was yummmy....I had mahi mahi ....the hubby had salmon....we had some chardonnay that was very good. It was a very nice dinner. All the servers we came into contact with were very professional, knowledgeable about the menu and it's preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/31/2014I ORDERED THE HANGAR STEAK. i'm not certain I know what I was served as it seemed to be a portion of leather, almost unchewable. Fortunately it was cut into portions so that I could swallow whole pieces of steak which would not yield to chewing. A memorable experience, but one that I would not wish to be repeated.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014It was a great time and wonderful food. We enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Roy's TriokanebelleDined on 5/26/2014The remodel gives it a more modern - Pacific Rim and less island look and feel, bit its the Roy's Trio that keeps us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chas980VIPDined on 5/25/2014The best salmon my wife has had. I also enjoyed the braised short ribs. The food here is just excellent, you have a view of the sparkling kitchen too. A finely run operation. Service by John was also excellent. Roy's surpassed all of our expectations, will be returning.Special Features:
- Couldn't ask for a better evening.charlie8111VIPDined on 5/24/2014We were here for my daughter's graduation and my mother in law's birthday the other evening. The service was incredible. I liked their personal touches of preparing a special menu insert for the celebrants. The food, including all the Aloha Hour appetite specials, was excellent. All the entrees were prepared well. I thought their wine list was very well thought out, particularly offering a number of reasonably priced Pinot Noirs. The hostess even took a picture of our party and gave a printed copy to my daughter and her grandmother. All in all, we couldn't have asked for a better evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFamilymanDined on 5/18/2014The service here is always amazing and so is the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicesocalgirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014Really enjoyed our dinner at Roy's La Jolla this weekend. The resturant provided excellent service, going above and beyond to ensure we had an wonderful dining experience. Highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasionharelymanDined on 5/17/2014My son and son-in-law were both starting new career opportunities so I wanted to take everyone out for a nice dinner in celebration. The food was great, the service was great, and the price actually reasonable. The only negative might have been the noise level. Though not a problem for us, it could be an issue for a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always on pointlillorDined on 5/17/2014Excellent service and a decent price. Food is best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.