Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill
2360 Kiahuna Plantation Dr.
Koloa, HI 96756Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.royshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8087425000
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Melanie Nowels
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: From family gatherings to celebrations, cocktail receptions to business meetings, let us help you create an unforgettable event!
- Private Party Contact: Leah Oliver 8087425000
A word from Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill
Just like Kauai has its own unique qualities as the oldest Hawaiian Island, Roy’s Poipu Bar & Grill captures its laid back essence and spices it up with exciting flavors. You can’t help but relax in this breezy open-air restaurant, whether you’re kicking back in the courtyard bar or gathered around a table in the dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in Poipu ›
Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (61)fit for foodies (55)romantic (34)notable wine list (29)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (24)kid-friendly (18)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We were dining at Roy's for our anniversary and thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and everything about Roy's. Our server Tara was exceptional. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Best dinner we've had on the islandgogirl1213VIPDined on 9/10/2014Hands down the best food: inventive, reasonable portions, exceptional bites and very friendly service. We'd come again in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Chocolate soufflé !OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/8/2014The chocolate soufflé is always a highlight of the wonderful meals we have at Roy's. We always have at least one meal here on every visit to Kauai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014We had special dinner at the Roy'. For you good hospitality, we had agood time indded,
- I"ll be backlilbuffDined on 9/4/2014Here to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday. They had a special birthday welcome page in the menu! Nice touch. Two of us had the prix fixe dinner and it was great. My fish was yummy, broke da mot! Gotta say that the desserts were just awesome. We each got something different so got to sample 4. Lovely evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honeymoon dinnertrosnickVIPDined on 8/28/2014We were staying at the Sheraton, Roy's was within walking distance. While the food was good and service was fine, it was just expensive for what it was. I wish I had stuck to Brennackes by the beach and had some more fish tacos. However, if you are looking to celebrate something, the staff was great and even sent us a "congratulations" cake for free!Special Features:
- SIGDinnerVIPDined on 8/26/2014Roy's on Kauai provides excellent service and wonderful food. The menu changes everyday with new specials arising frequently. The service was attentive and knowledgeable. For those looking for a nicer dinner in Poipu this is an excellent choice. Dinner for 2 without alcohol will run around 120 for 3 courses. Overall we would go back without hesitation.Special Features:
- Dinner @ RoysMisterMangiareVIPDined on 8/23/2014Delicious food presented in a visual art form. Our last meal in Kauai was the best. Butter fish is perfectly named....melts in your mouth like butter. Asian spare ribs were fall of the bone tender and seasoned perfectly. My wife & I chided our daughter for ordering meat loaf in such an up-scale restaurant....we were proven wrong as we both sampled it and agreed it's the best meat loaf we've ever had. That might just be on my plate next time we're at a Roy's. Service was impeccable. Also has a glass wall separating the dining area from the kitchen so you can see the masters at work.Special Features:
- Not that great for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We found the food to just be ho hum. Not that great and then when you factor in the price, you aren't that happy.
- Try the butterfishbdockVIPDined on 8/19/2014The experience this time was much better than our last visit a year ago where the main course was put in front of us before we'd finished our appetizers. Service this time was much slower. We waited a long time to order and to get our wine. For some reason the waiter thought he should wait until our appetizers were being served before bringing our wine. The monchong was not as flavorful as I had at the Waikiki Roy's 2 weeks ago but everything else was excellent. The butterfish, ahi, and scallops were great. We loved the apps - poke, Ono sashimi, pork spring rolls and goat cheese salad. And the chocolate soufflé is a must!Special Features:
- 1st visitvacationfoodieDined on 8/11/2014Were seated upon our arrival even though we were early for our reservation. The food was delishous and the chocolate soufle was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to spend our anniversaryCourtneyDined on 8/7/2014We had dinner at Roy's for the second time during our vacation. We celebrated our 9yr anniversary here and it couldn't have been better. The food was so good that we ordered seconds on both of our appetizers! The service was amazing from our waiter Mikey. Roy's in Poipu always knows how to make an anniversary special for a couple. We can't wait to go back again for a 3rd time during our trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentdonnye62Dined on 8/5/2014Our favorite place to dine for special occasions like birthdays & anniversaries; food is always excellent, service is not far behind; not scenic or necessarily most romantic, but quality of food will be hard to beat on a consistent basis. Great value for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hawaii Island foodJuergenDined on 8/2/2014Great fresh island food. Close to all resorts in the Poipu area. The restaurant has the same menu as Roy's in Waikiki or Hawaii Kai, but not the fancy setting. More like a neighborhood restaurant with fantastic food. Not cheap - but worth every dime. The chocolate desert is worth the 20 minute wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner of our trip!FedeflaDined on 7/29/2014Our best dinner in 4.5 weeks, awesome! Starter plate to share and mixed plates were absolutely good!! If we go back to Kauai I will go back for sureSpecial Features:
- great night!desserthikingDined on 7/28/2014We went here for my birthday. The food and service was outstanding! We had the Roy's canoe appetizer, which is a sampler of five different appetizers. The butterfish and beef short ribs were very good. Also, the Roy's mix plate shrimp and beef was also very good. We ordered the chocolate souffle, that came hot and fresh out of the oven. Just had to order it ahead, since they make it to order and it takes about 20-25 minutes. Roy's gave me two slices of their chocolate decadence cake presented on a plate with the words Happy Birthday. That was pretty cool. We're definitely going back to Roy's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must visitluvkauaiDined on 7/24/2014We vacation on Kauai every year and Roy's is always our dress-up dinner while here. We have been here at least 15 times and we ALWAYS have amazing food and service. Very kid-friendly too!!! Roy's is always on our list. A favorite!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definite highlight around PoipuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/23/2014Had tried Tidepools the night before and Roys is way better. Make sure you get the room at the front of the restaurant though to sit in - the back is quite dark and crowded and I don't think would have been as nice an experience.Special Features:
- Not as good as Oahu's Roy'sSurffoodDined on 7/22/2014Visited the Roy's on Oahu last year and loved it. This experience did not compare. Fish was good. Salad and brussels sprouts were awful. I'm not inclined to come back.Special Features:
- Food is still deliciousGlamgalDined on 7/16/2014Inventive Island food is Roy's trademark and it's still evident at Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill. The space has been taken over by families with many children so it's not the romantic last night on the island spot it used to be for us. Although by dining at 8pm the room did clear out a bit but the wait staff seemed tired (I don't blame them!) the ahi was perfect and the short ribs were tender yet had the perfect crust. We tried the Rose sangria with tropical fruits-heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed another dinner at Roy's!calkauaigirlVIPDined on 7/15/2014While the setting isn't the most stunning, the food here is always delicious. Our waiter was friendly and cared about making sure we were well taken care of. We'll look forward to seeing how their new location goes- I think it will be a nice upgrade for them.Special Features:
- Roy's Always Comes ThroughTraveljunkieDined on 7/14/2014Love dining at Roy's restaurants because of the variety of dining options. Chose to go tapas on this evening so picked selection of appetizers. Perfect choice! Our waitress was super supportive and helped us pick the right number of dishes. Zeroed in on a grilled beet salad, fried Brussels sprouts...wonderful with Hearts of Palm...perfectly prepared crab cakes, wild boar and mushroom lumpia....awesome...and Szechuan baby back pork ribs. Wine list is somewhat limited, but found a nice Pinot Noir that worked well with everything. Though located in a shopping center and decor is a bit stark, our table was by a window overlooking the entrance and it was very nice. Easy for conversation with a nice breeze. Good for adults.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPennyzmomDined on 7/12/2014Had the best meal here back in 2006 so decided to return. Sorry to say it was disappointing. Food was okay, but not the level I remembered, and very expensive! Just seemed ...so-so. Seems like Roy may have gotten a little more interested in fame and less interested in the dining experience for the customer. Not saying it wasn't good, just not great.Special Features:
- lovely eveningsacrobinVIPDined on 7/5/2014We have never been disappointed with a Roy's restaurant, and this was no exception. We asked for and received a table in the open-window/patio area; it was perfect with a nice gentle breeze coming through. The interior dining room is just too stuffy for summer on Kauai. Our food was excellent--steamed clams and ribs for appetizers, butterfish and grilled monchong for entrees, and the lava cake for dessert. The restaurant is fairly casual but nice without being stiff; service was professional and friendly and unobtrusive. It was a perfect way to spend the last evening of our vacation in Hawaii.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Food in an outdoor MallsoccerdoodmanVIPDined on 7/3/2014We had four different dinner dishes and the famed Molten Lava Cake. The food was very good and the service excellent. The location, however, is a little "strip-mall-ish" so not a romantic our magical place for couples. If you are looking for fresh fish (mostly local), Roy's preparations are very nice. Would definitely return for the food...the ambience is just not fantastic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in Poipu!VikingKingVIPDined on 7/2/2014The cocktails and chocolate desert were fantastic both times. Fish was good but overcooked (maybe just bad luck) however it is still one of the best restaurants in Poipu.Special Features:
- JHi@RoysJeHiVIPDined on 6/28/2014Team was doing a great job. We followed the special recommendation. All three courses (appetizer, entrée and desert) were great. Creative style of fusion cooking.Special Features:
- The food is delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/25/2014The swordfish was the best thing I have ever eaten! The salmon that my wife had tasted really good too. Good service as well. Everyone was very polite and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodKauai210Dined on 6/23/2014Very good, I came for my birthday, the only problem was that they seated me and my boyfriend in the fullest noisiest area of the restaurant, it was just me and my boyfriend and they put us on a 4 person table... Would have preferred to sit at the bar side where only two other couples were seatedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's is great!CaliGirlDined on 6/23/2014We've been to Roy's in Pasadena before so we knew this restaurant was going to be good. We were delighted to see some of the favorites on the menu as well as new recipes created using local fish and fresh produce. As always, the molten lava chocolate soufflé was outstanding. Wonderful dinner from appetizers to dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So/soDickydinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Service was very attentive but the food was just average overall. We were a little disappointed given the positive hype we see about Roy's Restaurants in general. Your experience may differ.
- Badly managed Roy'sSearlasDined on 6/20/2014I know it's a chain but... 1. Wine arrived after 1st course and only after we brought to their attention. 2. Wine steward broke cork because he didn't know how to use a corkscrew. Then blamed dry cork. 3. After 1st course, it was time to order dessert. We pointed out we had yet to receive mains. Only then we're we told that we had to pre order some desserts which we did. Isn't it usual to let the customer know that when the menus arrive at the beginning? 4. But the special pineapple cake never arrived. Simply forgotten. The dessert that did came with a warning it would burn my mouth. No worry, it was cold. False cheeriness and hit and run solicitous questions pass for service in this badly managed chain food poseur.
- OverratedTravelerDined on 6/18/2014The quality of the food was variable. We have eaten at the Roys in Oahu before which was wonderful, but there is no ambience at this Roys and we found the food quality variable and the service was only mediocre. For example, we waited 40 minutes after ordering for salad to arrive while those around us seemed to be served more quickly. It was not a bad experience, but we will not plan on eating at this Roys again.
- Always enjoyablesusieqw1969Dined on 6/17/2014This is our 2nd time visiting Roy's for dinner with our young children. They make it very enjoyable with coloring sheets, healthy snacks and adult food selections on the kids menu...not just mac & cheese, hamburgers and hot dogs! Our girls' LOVED the short ribs and the salmon!!Special Features:
- Not impressedPsyclesurferDined on 6/15/2014My Monchong arrived piping hot (that's good) and tasted OK. My wife's dish arrived warm at best, we sent it back to raise the temp, the plate came back hot, the food was cooler. Our waiter was average, the Maitre D' failed by bringing back cold food. My wife loves Roy's, so we'll probably go back, I'd be happy never setting foot at Roy's the rest of my days.Special Features:
- Roy's proved a winner again!CatCh2VIPDined on 6/13/2014We are staying near Roy's at a hotel that has a lovely restaurant, but have always enjoyed Roy's...especially the molten lava cake at the end. We decided to go there one night. It proved delightful as always and we are considering a return visit because we enjoyed it so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner.Scot7870Dined on 6/8/2014Roy's is a good place to eat. Not great. But good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu for diverse tastesDrResulDined on 6/7/2014Royʻs was amazing in multiple ways. Our server was great and really listed to our partyʻs dietary restrictions and even helped us to modify dishes. The food was much better than expected and presented beautifully. Even though they donʻt list it on their menu they do have options for vegans and vegetarians. We will definitely return when in Poipu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food well prepared but...KarenDined on 6/4/2014We were a party of three that ordered the lamb volcano, short ribs and the Roy's combo seafood dish. The lamb volcano is a whole shank if lamb nicely prepared, no complaints here. The seafood (2 shrimp, couple of scallops, pieces of fish) was cooked just right but with just a small slice of focaccia was not enough starch to go with the meal. It seemed to need something else. The rib dish was three large chunks of rib meat sitting on tiny dollops of mashed potatoes, which were tasty. The meat portion was very generous but there was not enough mashed potatoes. Maybe this us all because if people wanting low carbs? The marinated edamame given at the beginning as the "bread" was kind of greasy since you had to hold it to eat it.Special Features:
- Dissappointed againLloydVIPDined on 6/4/2014We were seated promptly. The waiter came over and asked if we wanted a drink or wine? My wife ordered a drink, and I told the waiter that we needed to look at the menu before deciding on wine. He then picked up all the wine glasses from the table as well as the wine list. We decided on food and I had to ask for the wine list back. He seemed put out,,,, but OK. The meal arrived, I ordered the mixed grill with Steak, Shrimp, and Duck Confit. The Steak was stone cold, and undercooked. The restaurant provided me with a small salad at no charge while they recooked my steak. The shrimp was good, but the Confit was chopped and mixed with a tomato salsa which totally overpowered the Confit and you could not taste it. Order fish here!