2840 Dallas Parkway
Plano, TX 75093Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (972) 473-6263
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10 :00pm
Aloha Hour: Daily 4:30pm - 6:30pm in the bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Nakachi
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Roy's Plano
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's Plano located on the East side of the North Dallas Tollway between the Park and Parker exit, featuring an exciting exhibition kitchen and beautiful bar.
We invite you to join us at Roy's Plano located on the East side of the North Dallas Tollway between the Park and Parker exit, featuring an exciting exhibition kitchen and beautiful bar.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Roy's Plano - Best Restaurants in Plano ›
Roy's Plano reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (82)fit for foodies (63)romantic (54)good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (28)notable wine list (20)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great!GoodVIPDined on 11/23/2014I didn't even know there was a Roy's in Plano, as we live elsewhere. But we were in the Plano area and found it on Open Table. I was so happy to be able to dine at another Roy's. Their food is always so delicious and Roy's has a very beautiful ambiance. Our waiter was very proficient and helpful. Great experience, and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's serves gross food made all prettylstuartDined on 11/23/2014The food at Roys is not good. The fish is okay quality..nothing like that of Roy's in Maui. The dishes are covered in sauces and fancy presentation to cover up for the fact that the "meat and potatoes" are gross.
- Ohana!GertalianDined on 11/20/2014We had some amazing Hawaiian fusion when we went to Maui for our Honeymoon a few years ago. Roy's took us back to those experiences...just wish we had the outdoor deck to see the ocean at the Plano location! Lol! I showed some of my employees pictures of the beautiful plating, they made reservations for the next night! Is there a referral system @ Roy's?? :). Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Gluten Free ItemsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/15/2014Roy's has been a favorite dining choice for my husband and me for date night for years. The food and service have always been phenomenal! Due to doctor's orders, I had to begin a gluten free diet about a month ago and have sadly said goodbye to many of my favorite dining options and choices. I was thrilled to see that Roy's has a gluten free menu for their diners. Their gluten free options did not disappoint! I started with a Ceasar salad, chose the scallops for my main course, and rejoiced that the molten chocolate cake was the gluten free item on the menu for dessert. All courses were well prepared, creative, and absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014I have eaten at Roy's in Plano several times and have always had a good experience. Servers have always been knowledgeable. The staff does try to accommodate any reasonable requests. I prefer for a quieter location and have sat in the smaller room to the right of the front door, or toward the back of the restaurant, near the private (group) room. Food is always good. I like the seasonal changes and I usually choose the Chef's recommendation. It's difficult to review the food, since it does change. However, I have tried the famous Butterfish, the Roy's Trio (salmon, butterfish and mahi mahi) and the Truffled Bacon Mac & Cheese is a must try. My favorite cocktail is The Hummingbird, a great "lady" choice or for a light weight! I did have a surprise on my bill on this last visit. I ordered a glass of Pinot Noir and explained I prefer a more full bodied, smooth and left the choice up to our server. The "glass" of wine was over $20. I didn't recall seeing any "by the glass" at that price point. My fault, but wow! The bar scene is always jumping and I would definitely suggest it for a Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aloha!werfoodiesVIPDined on 11/10/2014Lived in HI for 4 years & this place makes me feel like I'm there. Very friendly staff, great asian fish dishes. Wonderful MON pri fixe price with app, entree & desert for $37; and you can pick anything off regular menu! Had calamari, excellent salmon with maple sauce, amazing stuffing, husband loved his mahi mahi with mac nuts & lobster cream sauce. Very difficult to find pineapple upside down cake at ANY restaurant; they not only have it, they do it extremely well, with coconut ice cream & fresh fruit. Ate at the counter that overlooks the kitchen, which sparkles it's so clean! Go to Costco for GC's - $80 for $100 in cards! Will be returning again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best there is!BluePlateDined on 11/8/2014We have dined both at this location and those in Hawaii several times and have never been disappointed. In fact quite the opposite. Every experience is delightful and filled with new exciting flavors along with a lot of consistency with the items enjoyed in the past. Every mouthful is a joy and we will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely placeThunterDined on 11/1/2014Great place for 1st dates and special occasions. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GregDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary with them and they really treated us very nicely. Food and service were great, and they rather decorated it up with a nice card and some frill. We ate at Roy's in Hawaii in 1993 on our honeymoon, and this was just as good. Maybe not the same view in Dallas as in the islands. Oh well. Thanks for making it fun and special.Special Features:
- A nice surpriseXerxesDined on 10/31/2014Roy's was a nice surprise. The sushi was spicy and the butter fish was one of the best fish I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Been there twice, disappointed in food both times. End of visits. Atmosphere and service quite satisfactory. Food quality does not match.Special Features:
- Been hit or misscupcakesnlattesVIPDined on 10/25/2014Used to be consistent with food and service but lately its going down hill. Service was blah. Our food was a dissapointment this time too. Mahi mahi so dry almost choked. My trio portions were so much smaller than before. Miso yaki butterfish drowning in the green sauce and took away from the true flavor of the best part of the dish - the miso. Pineapple upside down cake burnt. Big fail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing again!BrHoDined on 10/25/2014Been to Roy's a few times now and they are fantastic and are always very consistent. The menu changes frequently as the chef "experiments" with new dishes and they are always delicious! I have yet to be disappointed with anything I have ordered. I wish i remembered the waiter's name because he was awesome as well! Plus their wines and wine suggestions are great...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an excellent experiencemkoch7811Dined on 10/25/2014Tried the chef's barramundi this time, which was very tasty. The Roy's Trio is also a good choice, sampling three entrees at once. Still the best Mai Tais outside of Maui. Great atmosphere, great service. One of our favorite places.Special Features:
- AMEX Platinum please remove Roy'sJayNFriscoVIPDined on 10/24/2014I am writing to AMEX platinum to please remove this Roy's restauarant from their membership dining promotions. This is not a place to eat dinner, especially if you are footing the bill for a party of 6 or similar size. Have the drinks, maybe. But never eat the dinner. it is the worst food and you will have to wait a long time for the plates to arrive at your table.Special Features:
- Really DisappointedimonsecondVIPDined on 10/19/2014We dine out a lot, and we are always in search of restaurants that are not the typical Steakhouse or TexMex genre. Roy's is one of the few that could be called Hawaiian "Fusion" with whatever. For example. the Calamari had some sweet and sour sauce (calamari was great by the way but I could do without the sauce), lobster potstickers were expensive and incredibly bland with some cream sauce, Tempura Alaskan cod definitely was not tempura batter and more like the batter in Fish'n'Chips without the chips. The somewhat expensive "Halibut chef special" was so overcooked, my husband asked them to take it back...AND..he never does this. It was truly a disappointing outing with friends. It was not a busy not so there is no excuse.
- Overcooked and overpricedSteveDined on 10/11/2014When you pay $30+ for a piece of fish from a place that "specializes" in great seafood, you expect near-perfection. What we got was nothing close. My wife and I both ordered fish -- she ordered the trio and i ordered the opakapaka. While both had pretty good flavor, both dishes were overcooked. After reading other reviews I think this is typical for this place.
- Jud2CDined on 10/5/2014The food and service was good as always. We were celebrating a special occasion and Roy's always makes you feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014had the quad (4 fish dishes) of which 2 tasted funky. appetizer consisted of the combo plate, of which the majority were bland and under seasoned. Roy's has gone way downhill from the last time we visited.
- A taste of Hawaii in PLANO!steve04KUDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here. We had been only once before, and found the food, service, and atmosphere to be fantastic. Very reminiscent of our Honeymoon dining in Hawaii. On my Open Table reservation I had made a note that it was our anniversary (and we had honeymooned in Hawaii). When we got to our nice, quiet booth in the corner we discovered they had created a nice card for us on a menu that congratulated us on our anniversary. Our hostess and waitress were very aware of our anniversary and congratulated us as well. The food was fantastic as always (Butterfish! Drool....). They even gave us free dessert and a free CHAMPAGNE TOAST! Incredible service and a memorable experience! 5 STARS!Special Features:
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014Rich, rich, rich. Gorgeous food but you kind of have to watch how you order it. Everything looked so good on the menu, I indulged on every course. By the time dessert came I had really over-done it. The lobster pot pie is excellent but very creamy and rich so have it with a salad instead of the fried tempura vegetables like I did, lol. The order-in-advance desserts were fantastic (I had the pineapple cake w/cocnut ice cream, wow)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All good but the crowd!MrsPrestonHollowVIPDined on 9/25/2014I had always heard great things, so was excited to travel north and check our Roy's So very much was wonderful, beginning with the team. From the hostess to our waiter and everyone who came by was friendly, happy, accommodating and seemed proud of Roy's. The drinks and the food were wonderful as well. I liked the interesting and unique selection and both of our meals were superb. Roy's is clearly something special. Despite all this, I will think twice about going back. We were in the main dining room and it was LOUD, especially when a family with a baby was seated right next to us. Roy's is pricey and I did not like paying the price in an atmosphere that was reminiscent of the Magic Kingdom. Back to Dallas!Special Features:
- Great Find!mberDined on 9/22/2014We had heard about Roy's for years and finally made it for my Birthday! What a complete pleasure! The calamari and pork rib appetizers were wonderful, my scallops were the Best, and the pineapple dessert with fabulous coconut ice cream was a perfect way to end our visit. The service was extraordinary. My son had the fillet mignon and my husband tried the fish trio and they both reported a double thumbs-up! We will be going back.Special Features:
- Service1dkwDined on 9/21/2014The service was outstanding, our every need was attended too.Special Features:
- great evening!MayCelebrationsDined on 9/20/2014Food is very flavorful and menu is extensive. Service was excellent. Fun cocktails and delicious deserts. A little pricey, but a fun place to celebrate a specisl occassion. Will go back again. Want to try their aloha hour or Monday night football specials as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Night...marriedwkidsDined on 9/20/2014We all had a great night. The staff was attentive and the food was fantastic... as usual. Love coming here and will continue to do so. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceFoodLoverDined on 9/15/2014I really enjoyed dining there. The service was good, and the food was excellent. Highly recommended the Lobster Pot Pie. It tasted wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loosing Magic TouchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I have frequented this restaurant several times with my wife. I have even held a 20 party birthday party here. I love the ambiance and decorum, but after this visit on the ride home, my wife and I were thinking the same thing. We were searching for the taste and experience that we had on our first visit two years ago. On 3 separate occasions we have had to have steaks re-cooked which lead to one of us waiting on the others meal. The rib appetizer seems to keep getting fattier and fattier. Management does address the issues but I don’t like to seem like a needy customer each visit. Still searching for that initial high and excitement about Roy’s.Special Features:
- Always a PleasureBobMDined on 9/10/2014The food at Roy's is always great, and the service was exemplary. We be dining there again soon!Special Features:
- Never DisappointsSebastianDined on 9/9/2014Brought a business guest here and they were extremely impressed. I broke down and tried the filet for a change - it was very very good, but I'll go back to the sushi on my next visits. Just can't go wrong with this place.Special Features:
- Great Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We have gone to Roy's several times and have never had a bad experience. This time was for our anniversary and they treated us wonderfully- complimentary champagne and lobster potstickers. Great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawaii in TexasKonacallahansVIPDined on 9/6/2014My family and I like to go to Roy's whenever we're missing Hawaii. The seafood is fresh and always well prepared and the menu has a great diverse selection. It really does replicate the cuisine from Hawaii well. The staff is also always friendly and very accomodating when we bring the kiddos.Special Features:
- FlexigourmetFlexigourmetDined on 9/6/2014Food was over-cooked and small portions for the price...
- mysandmanDined on 9/6/2014We always love dining at Roy's Plano. Loved the idea of location crafted menu items. Great food, fantastic service and a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food FusionCare2dineDined on 9/5/2014Loved the food and drinks. Excellent wait staff. Will eat there again and again. Even turned one of my friends onto Roy's who lives in Argyle. I live in Las Colinas so it was worth the drive!! Thanks Again.Special Features:
- Awesome as always!mdrubeyDined on 8/31/2014Roy's never fails to deliver. It was our 23rd anniversary. They had a Happy Anniversary sign at the table. The food at Roy's is consistently great. I really enjoy the 'butterfish' and my wife had the ribeye. Both very flavorable. We usually go for the chocolate souffle for desert but this time we opted for the pineapple upside down cake with coconut ice cream. As our kids would say...OMG! It was fabulous. Thanks to Roy's for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014This was our first time at Roy's after wanting to eat there for a long time. It was worth the experience. We were greeted by the host and immediately seated. Our waiter gave a good overview of the menu, gave us complimentary appetizer as first timers. The canoe appetizer we ordered was very good. The seared ahi was excellent. The mahi was a bit over done but was still good. Overall, the experience was very good. James (waiter) was helpful and attentive but not over powering. He understood the menu well and offered advice though not pushing what he felt best. We will go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014This was our first time at Roys Very good food. Waiter made sure we had no questions on the menu and indicated most popular dishes Good pacing during dinner. Very nice dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Not Good ValueKGM69QVIPDined on 8/27/2014The service was very good as were the salads and sauces the entrees came with. But there were too many negatives for us to return. It started with the complimentary edamame which was way over cooked and cold. Then I ordered the Ahi cooked medium. It came seared on the outside and raw on the inside - not what I wanted. But the overall negative was the portion sizes - they were tiny. We both ordered fish entrees and with both, the pieces were very small. In addition the side vegetables were mere slivers of their former selves - literally. Perhaps the most telling thing was the waiter kept bringing up dessert (when we sat down, when we ordered our entrees, after the entrees and brought the menu regardless).
- Outstanding Hawaiian Fusion27altoidsDined on 8/27/2014I've done Roy's on multiple occasions and they are consistently at the top of their game. The menu may change regularly but the quality of service and the dishes prepared remains impeccable… even if I usually cop out and order the bone-in ribeye every time I eat here. The service is attentive without being overwhelming and each member of the staff makes you feel as welcome as if they have known you for years. The best advice I could give is don't go overboard with appetizers (ribs or lobster potstickers are both exceptional starters) and save room for that pineapple cake dessert. That thing is so tempting that I am convinced it's illegal in at least 48 states. No matter what you order, food or drink, Roy's has your requests covered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.