Roy's Los Angeles Downtown
800 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's Los Angeles Downtown
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2134884994
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Monday – Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm Friday: 11:30am - 10:30pm Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Aloha Hour: Sun - Fri 4:30 - 6:30 & 9pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Garrett Mukogawa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: All our private dining rooms are completely private – you will have your own designated service staff to take care of you throughout your event. With beautiful & elegant Hawaiian artwork, you & your guests will be put in the Hawaiian state of mind to celebrate the gathering. There will be individually printed, personalized menus at each place setting.
- Private Party Contact: Group Sales Manager 2134884994
A word from Roy's Los Angeles Downtown
The legendary culinary vision of Roy Yamaguchi can be enjoyed right here in Los Angeles. At Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine, our menu features the finest seafood with a focus on delicacies from the oceans around Hawaii. Each creation is a fusion of flavors found in our freshest local ingredients with European sauces and bold Asian spices and served with the spirit of Aloha, creating a dining experience that leaves you feeling like you’ve found paradise. The Downtown Los Angeles restaurant is located on the corner of 8th and Figueroa and features a spacious dining room with a sushi counter that gives you a front row seat to the excitement of the exhibition kitchen. In the kitchen, Chef Garrett Mukogawa brings his imagination and artistry to the plate every night. Chef Garrett learned his love of cooking from his Grandma Park, whose creativity in the kitchen influenced Garrett’s style of cooking. It is our pleasure to welcome you into our Ohana and we look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roy's Los Angeles Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
- As good as alwaysMeAndrooDined on 2/20/2014I've been to Roy's in Hawaii, in Anaheim, and at this particular downtown location 3 times. Each time I've been to the downtown LA branch, the staff has been very accommodating to our birthday wishes (always seems to be a birthday), giving us a personalized menu, dessert, and commemorative photo. This last trip was for my wife's birthday, and as always, the food was above average, the service was great, and everything was as good as I could've expected. Wife had the LA Menu-exclusive 14 oz prime rib eye and I had the seasonal prix fixe with lobster bisque, pork osso busco, and miso butterscotch budino. Fantastic. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- 26th anniversary dinner.Classic8ironDined on 2/7/2014Sar at our favorite seating.....the kitchen bar. Such Chef entertained us the whole dinner.Special Features:
- AcceptableKF2designsVIPDined on 1/28/2014The food was decent. Not very inventive but rather safe. The sushi and tempura plate was quite good however. Service was decent but I wish you didn't have to ask for more water or coffee. Waiter could have been a bit more attentive. The moderately priced lunch menu items didn't make me think of Hawaii or anything more than slightly different pub food.Special Features:
- One Word - "Butterfish"TakeTheCannoliDined on 1/25/2014A must order, this fish is the best ever - expertly prepared by the chef's at Roy's. We also ordered the beef short riibs which were also very good. Did not receive the attention I expected, but would not hesitate on returning. Chocolate soufflé was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NightLisaVIPDined on 1/20/2014We ate at Roy's before the Justin Timberlake show at The Forum - we got great service and they made sure we were right on time for our ride to the show. KOA was a great waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each Roy's location allowsPLM20VIPDined on 1/11/2014Each Roy's location allows the Chef to have a menu that allows them to express their personality. This location has a very creative chef which blends the flavor of the island theme with fresh ideas making for a very interesting menu. Great location for before a game at Staple's center
- Overpriced seafoodtlovoyDined on 1/8/2014The food was way overpriced for the quantity and quality of the dishes we ordered.
- Good food, service was okay...SCKangsVIPDined on 1/8/2014Good food, service was okay... very noisy restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Hot Pot was deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/4/2014The Hot Pot was delicious however it would be even better with some crusty bread for the broth and small forks for the shell fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trusted favoritegcactivDined on 12/31/2013Roy's LA Downtown is that reliable 'all arounder' for a family brunch or that special occasion - love that there's always the standard filet mignon or the more exotic seafood delicacies - staff is fun and well versed on wine suggestions - even though we live on the west side, my wife and I consider this our "Cheers"... friendly, inviting and local-feeling!Special Features:
- Good choice if you are headingfuncoupleDined on 12/31/2013Good choice if you are heading to STAPLES....new years pre fix was good and not crazy expensive....VERY LOUD....cannot hear you tablemate well because of others around you...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roys made our night speciallike2comerDined on 12/28/2013Great food. Awesome staff. Drinks were delicious. Made my wife's birthday special with a personal pic and special menu insert. Thanks you Roy's. Did I mention the food great. Eat the boneless ribs, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We celebrated a birthday andcasaLVIPDined on 12/28/2013We celebrated a birthday and the Staff did an excellent job. The personalized menu was a nice touch. The managers came by wish our Friend a Happy Birthday, and asked if we needed anything else, excellent service..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodDisappointedinMalibuVIPDined on 12/28/2013We love Roy's in Hawaii but didn't expect such a nice meal/experience in the downtown LA madness that has grown up near Staples Center and the Music Center. The food was delicious, the service was excellent and the feeling tone of other diners was really nice. Not cheap, but we had a great time and it was a piece of cake to get over to the Ahmanson from Roy's to see our performance. We shall return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I had a reallyLuigiDined on 12/21/2013My wife and I had a really good time at Roy's. We really enjoyed the downtown skyline view that we had from table. The food was delicious and service was on the money. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you to the staffTinaODined on 12/18/2013We can not thank Audra enough for making our office holiday lunch so special. The appetizers were to die for especially the spring rolls and ribs. All of the main dishes were excellent. The desserts were particularly good and we could have eaten the strawberry cake all day. We will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Roll - yes; Butterfish - noMichaelSDined on 12/17/2013The lobster roll was amazing while the butterfish wasn't anything special. Lobster potstickers were liked by me, but not by my wife. 1988 Cocktail is sweet and the Hawaiian Martini was ok.Special Features:
- Visit was the first for friendsHihosilverenoVIPDined on 12/14/2013We dined at the downtown LA location (our preferred location in the LA area although we live in Studio City) and this was a first time to Roy's for our friends. The wife is vegan and the husband is a foodie. Both thoroughly enjoyed their meal. The ambiance was perfect and our service was superb! The vegan had a lo mein dish which she not only enjoyed - she took some home for the the following day. Our foodie friend had Roy's trio which is always a hit and he made a special comment that the black cod was delicious. He also enjoyed the salmon and mahi mahi but the black cod aka butterfish was something he would definitely order on a return trip. He and I shared the lobster potstickers as an appetizer and they were phenominal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's is always a hitCarreraBevDined on 11/21/2013We went to Roy's is Downtown LA and had a wonderful time. The server was fun, the food was great and the wine was very good. I have been to Roy's in Pasadena as well and had the same level of service and food quality as we did this time. We took a couple who had never been to Roy's before and they loved it.Special Features:
- We celebrated our 30 th anniversarycasaLVIPDined on 11/17/2013We celebrated our 30 th anniversary and everyone who attended to us gave us a happy anniversary comment. They frequently checked on our food and drinks, fixing one minor detail quickly. The whole staff was extremely attentive to our needs. We will definitely return with the whole family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeMorrowDined on 11/14/2013This was my first time at roys and I will be back. It was a good vibe and the food was excellent. The waiters were all friendly and informative on the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTokyobounfDined on 11/14/2013I've eaten at Roy's in Honolulu. This may be suffering from quality control, being a part of a chain. I ordered lobster rolls and lobster potstickers. I didn't taste lobster in either of them. It might as well have been surimi. The guava chiffon cake was like a guava biscuit! And the waiter charged me $1 more , $8.99 instead of $7.99. I was running late so I didn't point it out...he'd already made an earlier error that took quite some time to fix.
- Food is always great and alwaysJaymeDined on 11/2/2013Food is always great and always an enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am never disappointedHard2PleaseDined on 11/1/2013Roy's has been around a while, but isn't a tired place at all. The food is always great, as is the service. This visit was with a friend from Dallas, and she was very impressed. Previous visit was on my birthday, and they did a nice, low key, job of making it very special. I am lucky to have this great place very close to my home, which makes it even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- USC parents weekendjrcossDined on 10/26/2013Enjoyed a sumptuous meal at Roy's LA Downtown, with outstanding flank steak/fingerling potatoes/green beans, capped off by the amazing chocolate souffle. Will definitely visit again next time in LA.Special Features:
- "Spicy" Meant SaltyJMIIIDined on 10/25/2013I ordered a fried rice with egg dish ("Bi Bim Bap"?) that was described as spicy, and pork ribs, and a strawberry lemonade. The pork ribs were fine, if uninspired. The stawberry lemonade tasted as though it had been made with strawberry syrup rather than with real strawberries, and the beef that accompanied the fried rice with egg was not spicy "hot" but instead was excessively salty. Our waitress was very understanding and replaced the fried rice dish with a short ribs entree that was very tender and tasted fine. Overall the restaurant's ambience was very pleasant and the service was generally good; however, the quality of the dishes I tasted did not justify the prices.
- Menu is always interestingCulture1Dined on 10/22/2013Great spot for a business lunch or dinner before an event at the Staples Center. The menu is interesting, the food is tasty especially the fish dishes and the service is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu and small portionsSandyDined on 10/15/2013Just having returned from Hawaii, I was happy to go to Roy's for a little island reminder. I was surprised that seared ahi (salad) wasn't on the menu. Our server talked with the chef and offered it could be done, but it wasn't easy. I went instead with the salmon. I ordered the lunch portion, which is not inexpensive, and it was a very small piece. I'm ok with smaller portions for lunch, but I still was a bit surprised at how small. Lunch was served quickly though which we appreciated.
- Fantastic as the IslandslardgalDined on 10/13/2013We usually go to Roy's when in Hawaii, however finding ourselves without a reservation before a concert at Staples we booked a table last minute. It was a 3 block walk to Staples with plenty of parking. Unlike some of the restaurants at LA Live the service was outstanding! Very informed about everything on the menu and timed perfectly. I highly recommend the short rib appetizer with fried egg on top. It was a take on Loco Moco that you won't forget. My friend ordered butterfish and for a non fish eater she loved it! The only reason we didn't give them 5 stars on the food was that the sushi roll pieces were a bit big to eat in 1 bite which is a pet peeve. All in all we had a great experience and will. be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's is dependable and axxxxVIPDined on 10/8/2013Roy's is dependable and a great place to go for a full meal or a lot of appetizers. We had the poke which is delicious as well as sushi that was tasty and fresh. Ribs are to die for.Special Features:
- Not up to parDereklVIPDined on 10/7/2013Service was good as usual but the food that night was not up to par. We usually love Roy's. Maybe the chef was off that night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salads poor quality,LucyVIPDined on 10/6/2013Salads both the cesar and iceberg were made ahead of time, lettuce was soggy and no taste. The ribs were good.
- Thank you for a great diningKimilitaDined on 10/5/2013Thank you for a great dining experience. We were on a mother/daughter date before the John Mayer show. Food was excellent. Our server was great. Our dessert had a special surprise....not sure if it was planned not. There was a "hidden Mickey" in the dessert sauce, which impressed us greatly, since we are huge Disney lovers!! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Early DinnerBruceVIPDined on 9/30/2013We had tickets for the Walt Disney Hall 10th Anniversary Concert that was scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. That posed a "where to eat" problem for us... knowing that we'd need to be finished eating before 6:30 to get to the hall on time. Not all that many restaurants in downtown L.A. open early (5 p.m.)... but Roy's does. And it turned out to be a perfect choice. The food was great (everything cooked perfectly and super tasty) and the service was equally terrific. This was our first visit to the downtown Roy's (we've been to their restaurants in Hawai'i many times, as well as the Roy's in Pasadena and Woodland Hills), and we were really impressed by how friendly and efficient the staff was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingdaijonesVIPDined on 9/28/2013Nice menu which was quite different from online, slow service but lucky we were in no rush and all dishes we had were poorly prepared and/or cooked, just glad we brought our own nice wine.
- Outstanding Service!RebeccaSVIPDined on 9/27/2013We had a coupon for this restaurant but forgot to bring it. The staff overheard us lamenting that we left it at home and surprised us with a complimentary appetizer, the lobster pot stickers, which were fantastic. Our entrees were both tasty - each fish was not overpowered by the accompanying sauce. When our dessert took longer than expected, we were given a complimentary one while we waited for what we had ordered. This was the best customer service I have experienced in a long time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyPlaywright55VIPDined on 9/27/2013I have been to Roy's many times and the food is always spectacular, the service top notch and the staff really know how to take care of you. I love this restaurant. The downtown Roy's is my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still very good but can be better!CAandMAVIPDined on 9/20/2013This visit was just a little off. The food delivery had some long gaps even though the restaurant was not very busy. The sushi was not as distinctive as it normally tastes and given L.A.'s many options, this could become a problem--quality of ingredients always beat over elaboration, which Roy's normally has in perfect balance. As ever, personnel are friendly and glad to welcome patrons but this just wasn't our best dinner. We will be back because the food and location appeal but we will hope the "sparkle" returns!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We adore Roy's especiallyAnniversaryDined on 9/14/2013We adore Roy's especially on our Anniversary. We Celebrate at Roy's almost every year and the Staff gives us such a warm and friendly Aloha welcome. The food is always delicious and served beautifully. Happy hour is a real deal and so much fun. We highly recommend Roy's Downtown Los Angeles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish and beef at its finest!PSmithVIPDined on 9/7/2013Fish and beef at its finest! Also, a fine Gluten-free menu! When we arrived, I announced myself, they said "happy birthday" Mr Smith! That the beginning of a wonderful evening! Thank you to the staff for a special evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.