Roy's - Chicago
720 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3127877599
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm -9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Aloha Hour: Daily 4:00pm - 6:00pm in the bar and patio.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Stewart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call to inquire.
- Special Events: Send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the restaurant for details.
A word from Roy's - Chicago
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's Chicago located at the corner of State and Superior.
We invite you to join us at Roy's Chicago located at the corner of State and Superior.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Roy's - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Roy's - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)fit for foodies (63)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (31)notable wine list (17)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (13)scenic view (8)great for lunch (8)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Try the Pineapple Upside Down CakedianeVIPDined on 10/18/2014It is awesome! It is very tasty with the coconut ice cream and coconut shavings. It is one of those 20 minute deserts and is well worth the wait after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's is fantasticTsmithDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time at this Roy's location . My wife and I have been to Roy's in Waikoloa on the big island several times and always love it. Chicago didn't let us down either, the food and service was fantastic! The lobster dim sum appetizer was out of this world! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another ChancePescatarianDined on 10/18/2014Have eaten at Roy's countless times in different venues. Tonight must have been an off night. Service was slow, food was missing flavor. Will give it another try as we have always liked coming here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice restaurantbirdsDined on 10/18/2014had a great time, food was great, and so was the atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014tasty place but save this place for a special occasion. service was great ppl niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ppcrnprncsppcrnprncsVIPDined on 10/15/2014It was girls night out to celebrate the engagement of a friend. We sat for over 4 hours enjoying our food and drinks. The server brought us two desserts "on the house". The only downside was that the staff starting turning off lights ... I guess we were there too long. But overall, an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Roys! Must go!LuvtoeatVIPDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here a few weeks ago. Everything from the food to the service was excellent. Our waiter, Cliff was excellent and made the most wonderful dinner recommendations. You must try the Roy's Trio if you are a fish lover. Thank you to everyone at Roy's for making our dinner so special-from the host, our waiter Cliff, and Jordan. If you can't be on the island of Maui, this is the next best thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningGood2dineDined on 10/11/2014We had a terrific time, our server Alberto was outstanding! he was attentive and knowledgable about food and presentation. We will long remember our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experiencejpep29Dined on 10/11/2014We had a wonderful dining experience from the moment we walked in the door. Our server Amanda was fantastic. She was very knowledgeable about the menu and provided great service. We were celebrating a birthday and she went out of her way to make it a special night.Special Features:
- Nice PlaceSnookDined on 10/4/2014Portions were small but the food treated good. A nice, different place to go. Service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BernieVIPDined on 9/30/2014There was an issue with the lights in both rest rooms. The staff thought it was funny trying to go to the bathroom in total darkness
- Business DinnerBigAlDined on 9/29/2014The service and food was very good. You have to try the Butterfish. A good spot for a business dinner.Special Features:
- Bottle the Yuzu Garlic AioliHFL67Dined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful time at Roy's. The highlight was the Crispy Karaage Calamari and Yuzu Garlic Aioli. We could have just ordered that and stopped. The wait staff was very attentive and provided wonderful recommendations. We also had the Shrimp & Pork Gyozo which was very good. The entrees were excellent and we topped it off with a Chocolate soufflé. The only drawback was the noise level, but it wouldn't stop me from going back. I loved it and hope to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksEnjoyableDined on 9/27/2014My first visit, but My Girl has been quite a few times. I will add this to my Favorite Restaurant. Servers very nice. Food incredible. Secenery was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2014We've been at least a dozen times, and we have never been disappointed in the food, service or any other aspect of the Roy's experience. We always sit at the counter overlooking the kitchen, though most people seem to prefer table seating. To us, it's our go to seafood restaurant in Chicago period! Only the freshest fish, etc. and more creative preparations than most restaurants. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerDuniDined on 9/20/2014Amazing service and outstanding food. Loved the butterfish and coconut shrimp. Also wife had the ribeye steak and it was really tasty. Just a walk away from the Dana Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staple 4 Annual Anniversary DinnerChasOneDined on 9/19/2014We've been going to Roys for our annual Anniversary dinners since 2003 and have not yet been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Touch of Hawaiian Flavor in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014Stated with a couple nice Lychee Martini’s which were very good. For a starter we shared and order of the Sunshine Role and Seared Ahi. The tuna was awesome in both dishes, just melted in your mouth. If fact it was so good we decided to order another raw tuna starter, Spicy Poke. The Poke was also awesome. For mains we ordered the Butterfish and the Macadamia Crusted Mahi Mahi. Both dishes were fantastic but both agreed the butterfish was the best of the two. Service was a little slow… took a while to get our drinks, however, to be fair we were in not rush and it was clear that we were not. All in all we had a fantastic time and recommend the Roy’s in Chicago or Maui for a truly excellent meal.Special Features:
- Roy's RocksDenlaw1217VIPDined on 9/19/2014The wait staff rocked--Amanda was energetic and made my date and I feel excited to be there. But the food rocked as well--we each did Roy's Trio of Mahi-mahi, Salmon and Butterfish. The Lakanilau Roll appetizer is a wagyu beef and snow crab creation that might make you just skip the entree and order another. The chef even came out with a complimentary bite sized appetizer he had created just for the evening. I cannot remember what he called it but it was delicious, and a nice personal touch. While I normally do not partake in dessert, when a Hawaiian fusion restaurant offers fresh pineapple upside down cake with coconut ice cream--what could I say? We split it--and it was perfect. The best Chicago dining experience in quite some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2014Web site not what they actually have in the restaurant. Blamed it on Chicago! Not true!!
- Kudo's To Trace!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/15/2014We sat in the bar and enjoyed a late Monday evening happy hour of food and drinks.......Trace, our server, throughout the evening was very responsive, extremely accommodating, and super friendly.... On top of excellent food, Trace made our overall experience at Roy’s very enjoyable.... When we are back in town visiting our daughter we will certainly make sure to visit your fine establishment!Special Features:
- Amazing Birthday DinnerKJD86VIPDined on 9/15/2014My fiancee and I went to Roy's to celebrate her birthday. When we arrived at our table the menu acknowledged her birthday and the table had a small amount of birthday confetti to mark the occasion. Service was great and the food even better throughout the meal. We were both so full we decided to pass on dessert, but we still received a small complementary flour-less chocolate cake with happy birthday written on the plate. Our waitress even took a photo of us and printed it while we paid our check. We both hope to be back again soon!Special Features:
- Fantastic Customer ServiceCustomerserviceVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had an Opentable reservation on a Saturday night. They were running late with reservations, and we were seated 30 mins after our reservation time. When we were looking at the menu, the Manager/Partner, Vince, came over and personally apologized for our wait. It was nice of him to come by our table and acknowledge it. He went above and beyond and sent us complimentary appetizers and a new sparkling cocktail! It was very much appreciated. We love Roy's for their cuisine, and with their superb customer service, we will always recommend and go back for more, thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnertommyVIPDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I have gone to Roy's on State Street in Chicago for many of our previous anniversaries. But our dinner on Saturday was disappointing in the service and the food/entrees for my wife. My wife is trying to lose weight and has been following a diet low in oils and sugar, but the mahi mahi she ordered was not "Simply Grilled" as described on a previous phone call with the mangerwho assured us on a prior phone call the chefs could accommodate her requests for cooking entrée. The entrée was dry and disappointing with no seasoning or taste. Added to that was poor service from a rude and snippy waitress who was slow to initially come to our table and was clearly annoyed with my wife's special request for her dinner.Special Features:
- AnonDined on 9/10/2014Had been there often, but never fro the patio bar menu. Outstanding choices at decent prices.Special Features:
- Loud dining roomKurtVIPDined on 9/9/2014I have eaten at Roy's in LA & Anaheim, CA and really enjoyed it, however the music was so loud in the dining room like in a bar that we could not hear what the waitress was saying, and had to request the music be turned down. We were there for a business dinner of 6 and could not converse. In addition, when we were trying to get our check, waitress came in our table area 4 times, never looked over to our table, and I had to finally flag her down by waiving my arms to request the check.
- Great every timespicygarlicVIPDined on 9/6/2014Been to Roy's many times and it always delivers. My mahi mahi was a bit dry, but the pork ribs and ahi tuna appetizers were amazing as usual!Special Features:
- Amazing experienceHappenedinVegasVIPDined on 9/1/2014We were overly impressed with the attention we were given level and the exceptional service we received during our visit. The gracious welcome provided by the hostess was genuine, and our server Hillary was simply wonderful. Oh, and the food was very good too! The curry samosas were exceptional to start, and the upside down pineapple cake was a delicious dessert. And yes, the main entrees were tasty too. We had the lobster pot pie and the Trio seafood sampler. We won't forget the food and will always remember the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodpjonesDined on 8/30/2014The food was awesome!! The portion size was small. The waiter was perfect. I would definitely recommend this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ra Ra Ra for RoysChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014About 20 years ago when we were in Hawaii we ate one of the original Roy's. We've been hooked ever since and try to get there several times every year the food is wonderful quite tasty and innovative enough the please of foodie like this one but without gimmicks and pyrotechnics and what are often, odd combinations. It's hard to describe the food, Asian inspired, but quite different than your favorite Thai or Chinese place. Indeed, if you ordered some dishes that may seem familiar, barbecue ribs, a red curry it will seem much different and often better than you used to If you just close your eyes and pick your items by chance you won't be disappointed since everything is quite good.Special Features:
- All Around FabuloustitaDined on 8/27/2014I ad not been to Roy's in more than a year, and this time I wanted to take my father for his birthday dinner. I wrote it in the reservation, not expecting any special attention (that's how bad service has gotten at restaurants, as I had mentioned it at another restaurant the night before and they did nothing). Not only did they do a cute framed note on the table waiting for us, they took pictures and printed for us, and a complimentary dessert. Food and service were excellent. You cannot go wrong with any seafood dish on that menu. Perfect place as everything was great. Sometimes you go to a restaurant and the food is good, but the service lousy, or vice versa. Nothing bad to say about this place!Special Features:
- Good timeRachDined on 8/26/2014I enjoyed drinks and dinner with friends in the outside patio. The salmon was good, Hummingbird drink was yummy, chocolate suffle was great. The waiter was funny and helpful with the menu.Special Features:
- Deja VuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014It has been a long time since I have eaten at Roy's. Simply busy elsewhere. Visited with a friend from out of town. Fabulous!!! I really enjoyed the fish trio and the short rib appetizer. The chocolate souffle was just as wonderful as I remembered, and the pineapple upside cake was excellent too. Will have to go back again, and not wait so long!!Special Features:
- Chocolate cake!DebGDined on 8/24/2014Roys never disappoints! Great food and my favorite chocolate soufflé!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Great Mai Tai, "signature lobster pot pie" had small rubbery pieces of lobster, sent back and replaced w/ Mahi - but 25 min. for pot pie and then another 15 min. for replacement dish which arrived as companions finishing their entrees.
- Aloha! Ask for CreeJeudiDined on 8/22/2014We were at the MCA so it was a perfect excuse. We two shared small plates. Coconut crusted shrimp with sweet chile sauce, and Szechuan pork ribs to start; shrimps were large and delectable, ribs AMAZING. Then truffle bacon mac n cheese and lobster dim sum....went together like bread n butter. The lobster sauce on the mac was incredible. Then pineapple upside down cake. Oh. My. Goodness. TO DIE FOR! Caramelized and lots of pineapple, with coconut ice cream. Perfect assortment of flavors, exactly enough food for two. Highly recommended. If you can get Cree for your server, DO EEETTTT!!! He is adorable and so attentive and patient. I wanted to wrap him up and take him home. All around a great experience. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but could have been greatTravelaholicVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our meal was good overall. The kimchi crab cakes were tasty, as were the scallops and ribeye. The signature macadamia nut mahi mahi was lacking in flavor and arrived cool. On the other hand, the lobster pot pie arrived so hot that my daughter burned her tongue and couldn't eat it comfortably for close to 15 minutes. She even tried adding ice from her water. When I asked her how it tasted she couldn't comment because he tongue was burned. The objective of a meal out is that everyone can eat their meal together. This was not possible for us. Even though the pineapple upside down cake with coconut ice cream was amazing, we probably won't return.
- Great service/food awesomeTraveller22Dined on 8/19/2014Our server -Michelle (I think) was phenomenal, attention to details and making us feel welcomed and relaxed was excellent, since we had a hectic tiring day. The food were first class in preparation and taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary SpecialTonyDined on 8/10/2014We celebrated our 40th Anniversary at Roy's, and it was a wonderful evening. Seafood was outstanding and extremely fresh; service delightful, as our table was in a quiet corner. Wait staff did a great job. They even provided us with a complementary photo of the evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Took over an hour to get our food. When it came it was very over done.