Roy's - Chicago
720 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3127877599
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm -9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Aloha Hour: Daily 4:00pm - 6:00pm in the bar and patio.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Stewart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call to inquire.
- Special Events: Send inquiries to email@example.com or call the restaurant for details.
A word from Roy's - Chicago
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's Chicago located at the corner of State and Superior.
We invite you to join us at Roy's Chicago located at the corner of State and Superior.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Roy's - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Roy's - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (85)fit for foodies (63)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (24)vibrant bar scene (15)notable wine list (14)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (12)hot spot (11)great for brunch (10)late-night find (6)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014The food was awesome!! The portion size was small. The waiter was perfect. I would definitely recommend this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ra Ra Ra for RoysChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014About 20 years ago when we were in Hawaii we ate one of the original Roy's. We've been hooked ever since and try to get there several times every year the food is wonderful quite tasty and innovative enough the please of foodie like this one but without gimmicks and pyrotechnics and what are often, odd combinations. It's hard to describe the food, Asian inspired, but quite different than your favorite Thai or Chinese place. Indeed, if you ordered some dishes that may seem familiar, barbecue ribs, a red curry it will seem much different and often better than you used to If you just close your eyes and pick your items by chance you won't be disappointed since everything is quite good.Special Features:
- All Around FabuloustitaDined on 8/27/2014I ad not been to Roy's in more than a year, and this time I wanted to take my father for his birthday dinner. I wrote it in the reservation, not expecting any special attention (that's how bad service has gotten at restaurants, as I had mentioned it at another restaurant the night before and they did nothing). Not only did they do a cute framed note on the table waiting for us, they took pictures and printed for us, and a complimentary dessert. Food and service were excellent. You cannot go wrong with any seafood dish on that menu. Perfect place as everything was great. Sometimes you go to a restaurant and the food is good, but the service lousy, or vice versa. Nothing bad to say about this place!Special Features:
- Good timeRachDined on 8/26/2014I enjoyed drinks and dinner with friends in the outside patio. The salmon was good, Hummingbird drink was yummy, chocolate suffle was great. The waiter was funny and helpful with the menu.Special Features:
- Deja VuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014It has been a long time since I have eaten at Roy's. Simply busy elsewhere. Visited with a friend from out of town. Fabulous!!! I really enjoyed the fish trio and the short rib appetizer. The chocolate souffle was just as wonderful as I remembered, and the pineapple upside cake was excellent too. Will have to go back again, and not wait so long!!Special Features:
- Chocolate cake!DebGDined on 8/24/2014Roys never disappoints! Great food and my favorite chocolate soufflé!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Great Mai Tai, "signature lobster pot pie" had small rubbery pieces of lobster, sent back and replaced w/ Mahi - but 25 min. for pot pie and then another 15 min. for replacement dish which arrived as companions finishing their entrees.
- Aloha! Ask for CreeJeudiDined on 8/22/2014We were at the MCA so it was a perfect excuse. We two shared small plates. Coconut crusted shrimp with sweet chile sauce, and Szechuan pork ribs to start; shrimps were large and delectable, ribs AMAZING. Then truffle bacon mac n cheese and lobster dim sum....went together like bread n butter. The lobster sauce on the mac was incredible. Then pineapple upside down cake. Oh. My. Goodness. TO DIE FOR! Caramelized and lots of pineapple, with coconut ice cream. Perfect assortment of flavors, exactly enough food for two. Highly recommended. If you can get Cree for your server, DO EEETTTT!!! He is adorable and so attentive and patient. I wanted to wrap him up and take him home. All around a great experience. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but could have been greatTravelaholicVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our meal was good overall. The kimchi crab cakes were tasty, as were the scallops and ribeye. The signature macadamia nut mahi mahi was lacking in flavor and arrived cool. On the other hand, the lobster pot pie arrived so hot that my daughter burned her tongue and couldn't eat it comfortably for close to 15 minutes. She even tried adding ice from her water. When I asked her how it tasted she couldn't comment because he tongue was burned. The objective of a meal out is that everyone can eat their meal together. This was not possible for us. Even though the pineapple upside down cake with coconut ice cream was amazing, we probably won't return.
- Great service/food awesomeTraveller22Dined on 8/19/2014Our server -Michelle (I think) was phenomenal, attention to details and making us feel welcomed and relaxed was excellent, since we had a hectic tiring day. The food were first class in preparation and taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary SpecialTonyDined on 8/10/2014We celebrated our 40th Anniversary at Roy's, and it was a wonderful evening. Seafood was outstanding and extremely fresh; service delightful, as our table was in a quiet corner. Wait staff did a great job. They even provided us with a complementary photo of the evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Took over an hour to get our food. When it came it was very over done.
- Great!TinaVIPDined on 8/7/2014Never disappointed when visiting Roy's. great food always constant in flavor and served hot.Special Features:
- Not the best meal I have hadamyroetVIPDined on 8/4/2014I was really disappointed about our exprerience here, and went there thinking it was going to be a terrific meal. Service was a little slow, but the server was very pleasant and accomodating. Both my son and I didn't really care for our dinners. I can't say that we would go back.
- Great Birthday DinnerJohnDined on 8/3/2014The wait staff did a great job making my girlfriend's birthday a good one. They decorated the table, gave us a nice "memory book" photograph, and were very knowledgeable about the menu. I will return! However, although the restaurant is themed with Hawaiian food, the ambiance does not really reflect that culture too heavily. It would be better with a stronger Hawaiian decor inside but not a deal breaker.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningFoodloverDined on 8/3/2014Consistently wonderful food. Only restaurant where my wife will eat fish.Special Features:
- Great Food and Celebration!EllioDined on 7/31/2014We always enjoy the food at Roy's for being special in taste, presentation and service. Roy's is our special anniversary restaurant for the past 5 years and more years for Birthday's. They always make the day special and! Roy's is great in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014The food overall was uninspired, felt like it belonged in a strip mall in the suburbs rather than in the middle of the city. One bright spot was my entree, the butterfish: the fish itself was delicious, but the rice it came with was predictably just not very good. Other than the butterfish, everything else tasted like it could have come out of the freezer.
- Always a Great ExperienceDrummer28Dined on 7/28/2014We go to Roy's for special occasions or when we we're feeling nostalgic for Hawaii - best mai tai's in the city and the food is always extraordinary. Everything we ordered came out in a timely fashion, looked great, and tasted even better. The lobster dim sum was as good as we remembered. Our fish was perfectly cooked, and the pineapple upside down cake with coconut ice cream was truly amazing! The waitstaff is attentive and friendly without being overbearing. The price tag is hefty, but we always leave feeling that we got what we paid for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/26/2014Great food and service - what a gem!!! Thank you Roy's. You never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still hungryWithRegretsDined on 7/25/2014After appetizer and entree, shared another appetizer and still left un satisfied . Don't know if I'll go back
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014We always good good & service!! I had the tempura sea bass & hubby had the curry chicken. All very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- repeat customers, love the foodpjinchicagoVIPDined on 7/25/2014asian fusion food, seafood, cocktails ... IT is all around awesomeSpecial Features:
- Excellent DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/23/2014Food is always tasty. Service is GREAT!!! Desserts are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MameVIPDined on 7/21/2014Delicious! As usual, we enjoyed a roll and fish dinner, both were quite tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Party SpotGoldCoastGirlDined on 7/19/2014Went here for my friend's birthday party and was very pleasantly surprised! The food was really outstanding, cooked to perfection. I had scallops, and other friends ordered a variety of fish and meat items, all of which were delicious. The restaurant put a nice touch to the party, they printed a "Happy Birthday" card for my friend and put it on the table, then took pictures of us and also printed and gave us. Overall it was a great place and highly recommended!Special Features:
- OutstandingJTravelDined on 7/18/2014Roy's never dissapoints. The specials are amazing and the staples are fabulous . It isn't cheap but predictably excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningEmmyVIPDined on 7/13/2014We had a group of 8 and sat outside. Beautiful evening and VERY nice staff, changing reservation time? No problem. Sit outside? No problem. And food = Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNeverpickyDined on 7/12/2014I am typically "very forgiving" when it comes to dining. It was my wife's birthday so we arrived early and had a drink - the bar experience was terrific. We checked in for our 8pm reservation (the restaurant was not busy) and it took an extended time to seat us, have a server greet us, and finally deliver our bottle of wine. Our wine arrived close to 8:30 - we were in a good mood and took it in stride, but that is just too long. To make this story short, our server was clearly busy with too many tables and when our food ultimately arrived it was overcooked - my wife had Roy's Trio - overcooked salmon, overcooked mahi mahi and black cod swimming in some sweet sauce. We ended up eating half of our food and skipping birthday desert.
- Birthday dinnerfunfoodieDined on 7/6/2014Went here for my birthday and talk about feeling pampered. I took my husband, adult son and 88 year old mother. Eclectic group to wait on and they did a fantastic job. The wine by the glass was fabulous and the butter fish is hands down my favorite. They served complimentary appetizers before the meal. We had the dark chocolate desert and pineapple upside down cake afterwards and both were fantastic, in addition to the complimentary birthday desert. They even presented us with a framed picture of our group as we left. Love this place!!Special Features:
- 32nd Anniversary!Diva53Dined on 7/3/2014I had been to Roy's before so I thought it would be a great place to take my husband for our 32nd Anniversary. He was very impressed and he loved it. The food was great, the waitress was wonderful and we had the best experience dinning that we have had in a long time! We WILL be returning !!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT food!BURIEDDined on 6/28/2014We've been here several times now and have always enjoyed it. The wait for entrees was somewhat longer than usual this time but overall was a fun time. The sunfish is excellent!Special Features:
- Great experience2ccRiderDined on 6/27/2014It was really busy this Friday night. We had a reservation but all tables were filled. The host asked if we'd like to sit at the bar with a view of the kitchen. Plus, he would comp our first drinks and dessert! We agreed and had a great time. Food was delicious. Staff was attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely not what it use to be.Fri757Dined on 6/26/2014The drinks are still good, but the food and the service is no where near what it once was. It's too bad.Special Features:
- Great - every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014My 3rd or 4th visit to Roy's (Chicago and Vegas), never disappointed by the imaginative food preparation, quality, taste, etc. In this particular instance, it is the service I would like to highlight. My wife mentioned to the server she was chilly. Within moments, the manager (Vince V.) was over to "make things right" - they had it adjusted in no time and he came back to check on us a couple times after. Small details make for a great dining experience!Special Features:
- Loved the placeChicagoladyDined on 6/23/2014Everything was great from drinks to dessert. Can't go wrong with anything you orderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/21/2014I have been here several and the food is always great. Very imaginative. And the service is exceptional. They really let know that they want you to be there, having fun and an excellent meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014The brunch menu special was disappointing compared to previous years. While I enjoy the entrees, the fact they were not part of the "2 course" menu surprised me and my family. Also we preferred the edamame to the sweet buns. The crowd for father's day was low and it felt empty. The manager forgot to bring us our fathers day gift card or greet us like we saw him do with other tables. We love the quality of dishes served but disappointed in this year's brunch menu. I recommend the food and drinks to all but encourage the management to reconsider their brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerEmanDined on 6/14/2014We loved the food at Roy's! We went there for my birthday and absolutely loved it! The only thing we would've changed was how long it took them to get our food and to bring us drinks. We waited about 2 hours for dinner and missed the fireworks at the pier. They made it up to us by bringing us a free birthday canoe with amazing desserts! They also gave me a frame with some birthday wishes. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/10/2014They went out of their way to make our evening everything we wanted. We were thoroughly pleaaaedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.