Roy's - Chicago
720 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Roy's - Chicago
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.roysrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 787-7599
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm -9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Aloha Hour: Daily 4:00pm - 6:00pm in the bar and patio.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Stewart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call to inquire.
- Special Events: Send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the restaurant for details.
A word from Roy's - Chicago
Blending classic techniques with adventurous Pacific Rim flavors, culinary pioneer Roy Yamaguchi created an entirely new approach to fine dining. The first Roy's opened in Honolulu in 1988 and we've spread our warm hospitality and passion for innovative and creative cuisine around the world ever since. Indulge in one of our spectacular cocktails or choose a glass from our award-winning wine list while you discover the fresh ingredients and outstanding seafood, expertly prepared by our local chefs that made us famous.Continued
We invite you to join us at Roy's Chicago located at the corner of State and Superior.
We invite you to join us at Roy's Chicago located at the corner of State and Superior.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Roy's - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Roy's - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (71)romantic (49)neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (42)great for outdoor dining (27)notable wine list (20)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (9)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Roy's is consistently so good!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014In Chicago there are many excellent restaurants. Roy's is one we can always count on to be delicious, fresh and current.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2014Wonderful food and service! Thanks to Tom at the Bar and Shane our server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Then service we received was amazing! Our waiter Anthony was by far amazing!! My mom and I went to celebrate her birthday and there was a card on our table from the restaurant wishing her a "Happy Birthday" and before our dinner concluded, our picture was taken and printed to go in the frame they gave her. Everything we ate was delicious. I ordered the Lobster Pot Pie, which was very delicious by the way, but I have only one complaint.....I wish there had been more Lobster. Aside of that one factor, Roy's will be seeing me again. I'm already planning to spend Mother's Day there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!!Italianfood1VIPDined on 11/15/2014I always enjoy Roys butterfish entree. There pineapple upside down cake is amazing. I always enjoy Roy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh FishraybretDined on 11/15/2014We went for my birthday celebration, and everything was delicious from the appetizers to souffles for dessert. Had fresh fishes, and even filet was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to bePicassoVIPDined on 11/11/2014We stopped in on a Tuesday night - not too busy. Ambiance is excellent. Between 2 of us we had 3 entrees an appetizer and dessert plus a bottle of delicious Oregon pinot gris. The Cod was excellent very tasty and fresh. We also had the Mahi Mahi and the Snapper - both tasted either overcooked or previously frozen. The Mahi Mahi came with one teaspoon of lobster cream sauce on it...in one way good because less calories but the fish needed a little more flavor. I like this restaurant because you can sit and have a conversation without having to shout - but there are too many great seafood spots in Chicago - not sure I will be back. In years past, food was better. Service was excellent.
- Not impressiveFFandJJVIPDined on 11/8/2014We made reservation but only seated 35 mins later (even with the reservation). The waitress seems to be in a hurry to hand us the check. We wanted to order dessert but she was more interested in asking if we want the check and only brought the dessert menu after we asked. For the price, we weren't impressed at all with the food and service.
- Just OKChivisitorVIPDined on 11/8/2014Our dinner at Roy's was fine but nothing that would make me rush back. We waited about 15 minutes past our reservation to be seated, but the hostess and waitstaff were very pleasant. A sushi appetizer with beef and snow crab was very good and substantial enough to share or to be a light meal. The Roy's Trio was OK, but the portion was small for $36 (with a la carte sides) and had a sort of commercial/processed taste....like it was taken out of the freezer and microwaved. The Butterfish entree was better. So it was fine, but to me there was a disconnect between the food quality and casual service and the price. Seems like the entrees should be about $10 cheaper because the experience is more chain casual dining, not special occasion.
- Good spot for groupsMicheleDined on 11/8/2014Overall, ok for the price. Not bad, but there are better options in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wait even with a reservation.FoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014There are plenty of open tables but we usually have a wait before being seated. Is scheduling a problem?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone downhillJPinChiDined on 11/1/2014Roy's was one of our favorites in years past. Food was still good this last visit but the overall experience left us disappointed. Outback's buy has left it with loud spaces, confused service, and corporate cost cutting and standardization that has downgraded the overall experience, not helped it. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Worth every penny!MikeDined on 10/30/2014My foodie fiancée and I came here for her birthday, and had a wonderful dinner. Without going over the top, they acknowledged Her birthday in a couple very unique ways (I won't ruin the surprise by detailing what they did). The ambiance was romantic without feeling stuffy, and the food was absolutely amazing. We're from Boston and, naturally, have extremely high standards for seafood; Roy's lived up to the reputation and then some. As a side note, it's more $$$ than $$ as OpenTable says, but it's worth every penny. Go here for your next special occasion and get ready for one of the best meals you'll ever have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT $$ Take Wallet, Leave HungryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/30/2014This restaurant is definitely not to be rated two dollar signs. It is at best $$$. And you don't get much. After almost $100, the two of us left hungry. It's also listed as seafood. Well, yes, there was seafood. But it is a Hawaiian restaurant and should be classified as such.
- Roy's Gets it RightlapsusLinguae13VIPDined on 10/29/2014Very attentive service from the moment we walked in. The complimentary edamame to start was lightly seasoned and delicious. Aunt Lei's roll had spicy tuna that really lived up to it's name, not just seasoned, but actually had a kick to it. The Ahi Tuna and Sea Scallops were prefectly cooked and the truffled bacon Mac-n-Cheese was rich and tasty. The Pineapple Upsidedown Cake with Coconut Icecream had me singing the Pina Colada Song at the table out of sheer delight. a wonderful all around experience!Special Features:
- HungrytravelerVIPDined on 10/28/2014Another terrific meal. My guests, none of which had ever been to Roy's before, raved about the food and atmosphere. All our meals were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to come backPieLDined on 10/28/2014Excellent, fresh seafood with creative preparations. Had the lobster potstickers and the coconut shrimp appetizers which were delicious. For the main, I had a fresh snapper special for the night served with ginger rice that had a nice kick to it.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationfabfiveDined on 10/26/2014We were a group of 5 women having a 4 day holiday in Chicago & relied on Open Table for all of our dinners. Our last night we decided on Roy's and had our best meal of the trip, and possibly ever. The food was outstanding, the service was excellent, & our server Monica was a gem. Would and have recommended Roy's to everyone.Special Features:
- AnneVIPDined on 10/26/2014As always, we enjoyed Roy's very much. Not only is the food very good, but the staff go out of their way to accommodate. They keep track of our preferences, so when we return they know what we like and how we want it prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceRiverNorthJeffVIPDined on 10/25/2014This is where my daughter got engaged recently. Good choice, David! We really enjoyed the Black Cod dish. Really tasty.Special Features:
- Try the Pineapple Upside Down CakedianeVIPDined on 10/18/2014It is awesome! It is very tasty with the coconut ice cream and coconut shavings. It is one of those 20 minute deserts and is well worth the wait after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's is fantasticTsmithDined on 10/18/2014This was our first time at this Roy's location . My wife and I have been to Roy's in Waikoloa on the big island several times and always love it. Chicago didn't let us down either, the food and service was fantastic! The lobster dim sum appetizer was out of this world! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another ChancePescatarianDined on 10/18/2014Have eaten at Roy's countless times in different venues. Tonight must have been an off night. Service was slow, food was missing flavor. Will give it another try as we have always liked coming here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice restaurantbirdsDined on 10/18/2014had a great time, food was great, and so was the atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014tasty place but save this place for a special occasion. service was great ppl niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ppcrnprncsppcrnprncsVIPDined on 10/15/2014It was girls night out to celebrate the engagement of a friend. We sat for over 4 hours enjoying our food and drinks. The server brought us two desserts "on the house". The only downside was that the staff starting turning off lights ... I guess we were there too long. But overall, an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Roys! Must go!LuvtoeatVIPDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here a few weeks ago. Everything from the food to the service was excellent. Our waiter, Cliff was excellent and made the most wonderful dinner recommendations. You must try the Roy's Trio if you are a fish lover. Thank you to everyone at Roy's for making our dinner so special-from the host, our waiter Cliff, and Jordan. If you can't be on the island of Maui, this is the next best thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningGood2dineDined on 10/11/2014We had a terrific time, our server Alberto was outstanding! he was attentive and knowledgable about food and presentation. We will long remember our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experiencejpep29Dined on 10/11/2014We had a wonderful dining experience from the moment we walked in the door. Our server Amanda was fantastic. She was very knowledgeable about the menu and provided great service. We were celebrating a birthday and she went out of her way to make it a special night.Special Features:
- Nice PlaceSnookDined on 10/4/2014Portions were small but the food treated good. A nice, different place to go. Service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy"s goes the extra mileLovelifeVIPDined on 10/4/2014It was our anniversary. I mentioned this in my reservation. Most restaurants do not do anything special. But we were sooo surprised when we got to our table, there was a lovely card on the table wishing us a Happy Anniversary AND confetti on the table. All of the staff us so friendly and informative, service amazing and the food quality superb! Sushi and fish fresh caught like we were in Hawaii! At the end of the night they took our photograph and gave us a lovely matte for it and comp dessert. We have been to to original Roy" s in Hawaii in the 90's and the Pebble Beach location 20 years ago and the quality of the food and personal service has always been consistent and WAY ABOVE AVERAGE I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ANY OF THEIR RESTAURANTS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BernieVIPDined on 9/30/2014There was an issue with the lights in both rest rooms. The staff thought it was funny trying to go to the bathroom in total darkness
- Business DinnerBigAlDined on 9/29/2014The service and food was very good. You have to try the Butterfish. A good spot for a business dinner.Special Features:
- Bottle the Yuzu Garlic AioliHFL67Dined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful time at Roy's. The highlight was the Crispy Karaage Calamari and Yuzu Garlic Aioli. We could have just ordered that and stopped. The wait staff was very attentive and provided wonderful recommendations. We also had the Shrimp & Pork Gyozo which was very good. The entrees were excellent and we topped it off with a Chocolate soufflé. The only drawback was the noise level, but it wouldn't stop me from going back. I loved it and hope to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksEnjoyableDined on 9/27/2014My first visit, but My Girl has been quite a few times. I will add this to my Favorite Restaurant. Servers very nice. Food incredible. Secenery was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/21/2014We've been at least a dozen times, and we have never been disappointed in the food, service or any other aspect of the Roy's experience. We always sit at the counter overlooking the kitchen, though most people seem to prefer table seating. To us, it's our go to seafood restaurant in Chicago period! Only the freshest fish, etc. and more creative preparations than most restaurants. Wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinnerDuniDined on 9/20/2014Amazing service and outstanding food. Loved the butterfish and coconut shrimp. Also wife had the ribeye steak and it was really tasty. Just a walk away from the Dana Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staple 4 Annual Anniversary DinnerChasOneDined on 9/19/2014We've been going to Roys for our annual Anniversary dinners since 2003 and have not yet been disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Touch of Hawaiian Flavor in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014Stated with a couple nice Lychee Martini’s which were very good. For a starter we shared and order of the Sunshine Role and Seared Ahi. The tuna was awesome in both dishes, just melted in your mouth. If fact it was so good we decided to order another raw tuna starter, Spicy Poke. The Poke was also awesome. For mains we ordered the Butterfish and the Macadamia Crusted Mahi Mahi. Both dishes were fantastic but both agreed the butterfish was the best of the two. Service was a little slow… took a while to get our drinks, however, to be fair we were in not rush and it was clear that we were not. All in all we had a fantastic time and recommend the Roy’s in Chicago or Maui for a truly excellent meal.Special Features:
- Roy's RocksDenlaw1217VIPDined on 9/19/2014The wait staff rocked--Amanda was energetic and made my date and I feel excited to be there. But the food rocked as well--we each did Roy's Trio of Mahi-mahi, Salmon and Butterfish. The Lakanilau Roll appetizer is a wagyu beef and snow crab creation that might make you just skip the entree and order another. The chef even came out with a complimentary bite sized appetizer he had created just for the evening. I cannot remember what he called it but it was delicious, and a nice personal touch. While I normally do not partake in dessert, when a Hawaiian fusion restaurant offers fresh pineapple upside down cake with coconut ice cream--what could I say? We split it--and it was perfect. The best Chicago dining experience in quite some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2014Web site not what they actually have in the restaurant. Blamed it on Chicago! Not true!!