1850 Second Street, Suite 110A
Highland Park, IL 60035Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.roycerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8474338600
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily at 11:30am
Kitchen closes at 9pm Sun-Wed &
10pm Thurs - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Phil Rubino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Luis Garcia 8474338600
A word from Royce
Royce is a casual American Farm to Table restaurant. Owner John des Rosiers and Executive Chef Phil Rubino have collaborated on a menu that features familar classics, executed with great technique and care for the ingredients, prepared simply. While dining, guests will enjoy a lush setting with walls made from reclaimed old growth lumber, and washed in blue and gray tones creating a warm cozy feel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Royce reviews from OpenTable diners
- reasonably pricedJoleeVIPDined on 5/11/2013I was excited to dine here. The menu looked great and fairly priced. We had some confusion with our meal (wrong sides) as well as the people seated nearby. It was very loud and cold inside. the people surrounding us were putting their jackets on to eat. I would return with less expectations for sandwich/burger instead of entree and drinks and I am sure that we would be pleased. As a casual restaurant for casual food it deserves another chance. As nicer restaurant go elsewhere. The hostess and bartenders were very nice and made us feel very welcome.Special Features:
- Where's the beef?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/11/2013We were at the restaurant on a Saturday evening. It wasn't too busy when we arrived at 6:30 pm. By the time we left, however, it was full to almost capacity. I would describe the food as standard American fare and the setting as upscale comfortable. My husband ordered the beef stroganoff which was served without a speck of beef in it. He sent it back and they added some beef but not overly generous. I had a filet sandwich which was really quite tasty, tender and a generous portion. Next time, I'll probably try a burger. Upon our departure, I suggested a new menu item: vegetarian beef stroganoff. :)Special Features:
- Nice spot for a business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/8/2013This was a very good find for a client meeting at lunch. Nice selection of lunch choices. lots of different table choices. Easy to have a private conversation. Good parking in downtown Highland Park. We had crab cakes, shrimp and the Arugula.artichoke salad. All were delicious. Most importantly, the attentive waiter kept our Iced Tea, water and coke filled all the time. My only negative observation was how few diners were there at the Wednesday lunch hour. This is a very nive place. I hope the tables fill up at night. Otherwise I am not sure ow they will be able to make a go of it.Special Features:
- A Fun Neighborhood FindJokunDined on 5/4/2013We were familiar with the previous restaurant, Rosebud, but this place did a complete overhaul of the decor. It has wonderful wood work with posts that look like a game of Jenga. The bar is great with TV's and seating by the windows overlooking the sidewalk. The drinks are best ever...very creative, and we especially loved the presentation in the copper mugs that kept the drink icy cold (beer, vodka, ginger and lime! or tarragon infused vodka). They honored our reservation on time. The food was creative and very good. Portions not large, but beautifully presented and ample. Loved the fries, skirt steak....wonderful chopped salad. The restaurant is VERY large, so good chance of getting a reservation or walking in and getting seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The decor was disturbing withOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/29/2013The decor was disturbing with the drift wood all over. The food was so so and expensive but the dessert was fantastic. Would not go back
- Continue EvolvingHungryGuyVIPDined on 4/28/2013Royce needs to settle in to an identity. Is it a family burger place? Is it a casual, semi hip, reasonably priced place for before or after a movie? As far as the food goes...Turkey burger was nice sized, but kind of a strange texture and definitely under seasoned. Fried chicken was cooked nicely, crunchy and juicy...again, under seasoned. Brussels sprouts tatsed great, but mot cooked correctly. Kind of an under cooked hardness. Decor just doesn't work...would have been nice to retain some of the chic from Modello. You can still have that in a moderately priced restaurant. The room dividers are barn-like and claustrophobic. Hopefully it will keep evolving.Special Features:
- I'll be back for burgers and bourboHPFoodieDined on 4/26/2013This was my second visit to Royce. First time I had their linquine (homemade) with clams which was quite good. this visit I found they'd dramatically changed their menu. This time I tried a hamburger. Cooked perfectly medium rare (which so few places seem to do, I'd recommend their burgers without reservation. However, gone was one of the innovations I'd found most interesting - whiskey 'flights' that let you try 3 different whiskies (excluding single malts) for $12. When I asked my server about it, he said they only made it now by request. judging a whiskey's smoothness and taste is much more nuanced when you can compare it side by side with two others. by the way, if you like bourbon, try the Hirsch.
- Hard to tell about food whenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2013Hard to tell about food when you have only ordered one selection on the menu..turkey burger that was too salty and dense the for my taste. Wait staff was very good.Special Features:
- ROYCE: Gotta try this one!Food4uDined on 4/21/2013The hostess greeted us and sat us immediately at our reserved time. The rough wood finish and lighting separated the restaurant into more intimate sections and kept the noise level down- nice idea and very pleasant surroundings. Our server greeted us promptly and had good suggestions for drink orders as well as a thorough knowledge of the menu. He suggested the veal meat balls as an appetizer and they did not disappoint us! The roasted chicken breast was tasty- not overcooked and the quinoa was a delicious accompaniment. Other members of our party enjoyed beef stroganoff and burgers. Our group of 6 split a sundae and the banoffee pie- too good. Royce is a very nice addition to the downtown Highland Park restaurant scene!Special Features:
- Good Bread, Overall Fair, Would TryStuartVIPDined on 4/12/2013The bread is very good. The onion soup was weak, we prefer it stronger, that may be personal taste. The burgers were fair and quite fully priced. While not anxious to go back, would try again and select another entree. Our server was very good which made the meal nicer.Special Features:
- Royce's, a great place to dine.delicious15Dined on 4/12/2013Welcomed warmly. Our table was waiting. We shared a beet salad which was delicious. Highlights of the salad were the toasted pistachios and a wonderful balsamic vinaigrette. I had the roasted half chicken and it was done perfectly. The chicken came on a bed of polenta so delicious I was ready to lick the plate. My husband had the Austin burger and enjoyed it. We said no to dessert only because both of us were full. Our waiter was very attentive as was the rest of the staff. We were not crazy about the decor. It looked as if we were sitting in a barn but that being said, everything else about Royce is great. We will be going back.Special Features:
- We used Royce for a smallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2013We used Royce for a small company business dinner (6 people) and it worked out great Food was great and service was outstanding. The lighting was a little too dim to read the menus, however it was all around very nice.
- Great burgers! Will be returningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2013Great burgers! Will be returning soon to try other items. Friendly service.Special Features:
- Casual friendly setting withOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/5/2013Casual friendly setting with great food and service!Special Features:
- Our server tried to push theOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/23/2013Our server tried to push the major entrees when we told her we were interested in the hamburgers only. We gave her our order and was well done I asked for medium rare but more towards the rare side. We asked for lettuce and tomatoes and cheese with our sandwiches. The food came deliver by the bus boy and my burger came well done , my friends tomatoes were minature and the burgers were smaller than the last time I was there. It took forever till I could get someones attention to get the manager to send back my food. 20 minutes later after asking where my dinner was , it finally came after everyone was finished. With that I asked why and they told me the kitchen was busy. Needless to say I sent back my dinner after eating only bread
- I am not sure yet what RoyceDivagourmetVIPDined on 3/21/2013I am not sure yet what Royce is about. It appears to be a burger joint, but with a bit more sophistication. I had a beautiful spinach salad with salmon, which was a request off the menu. for me to make this a regular stop, they will need a bit more variety or specials that are not burger/beef oriented. Suggest adding a quality vegi-burger to the menu!Special Features:
- the food is always good theyummyVIPDined on 3/18/2013the food is always good the service is always good i wish they would change their music it is a bit loud and trying to be hip...it is not so stick to soft jazz or frank sinatra....that is your crowd....
- Food selected was good, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2013Food selected was good, especially fries and potato skins...Seating quarters somewhat cramped in first section behind Bar area...All in all a good neighborhood spotSpecial Features:
- We had a great dinner there.Out4dinnerVIPDined on 3/15/2013We had a great dinner there. Delicious food, and great service! Easy place for a bigger group.Special Features:
- My first time there sincePAM1VIPDined on 3/13/2013My first time there since it changed from Moderno. Ordered beet salad...too much dressing. The decor is AWFUL, with those wood strips nailed to the wall. So dark. Waited a long time for someone to offer more coffee. Really disappointing!
- the first time we went weOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2013the first time we went we loved it---this time it had not lived up to previous standardsSpecial Features:
- We went on Sunday so it wasEatLoveFood1Dined on 3/10/2013We went on Sunday so it was slow, not many in. We where put right at the back, I think the front area Would have been nicer. Food good but think the kids menu should include a drink for them as many other places offer this at the same price.Special Features:
- Great time with a group ofOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/9/2013Great time with a group of 10. Great server - food was great and priced well.We're in back room which made us feel a litte isolated -better in main roomWill come backSpecial Features:
- I'll be backHPFoodieDined on 3/9/2013this is the latest incarnation of a rather good Italian restaurant in the same location that must have failed to make it due to a too-interesting menu. Royce's menu is more approachable (but I really miss Moderno). They've toned down the noise, separated the dining area into several distinct sections, and simplified the menu of locally sourced choices. One warning - the first lane of tables as you enter is much narrower than the ones further back in the restaurant. I'd avoid sitting there if you don't like getting constantly bumped by the wait staff. Excellent hamburgers, fresh linguine with clams, and whiskey 'flights' that make it fun to compare bourbons, ryes and American whiskeys. I'll be back.
- Neighborhood Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/8/2013Delicious fries. Must get a side of the Truffle Aioli to dip them! Nothing else like this place in Highland park. Great comfort food. I love the "Build Your Own Burger" concept. Next time I want to try the dinner special. It sounded good, but the fries were just too tempting!Special Features:
- burger and fries were goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/6/2013burger and fries were good as was the whitefish. only con was the loud music that was playing.Special Features:
- Partitions constructed toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/6/2013Partitions constructed to divide rooms can feel claustrophobicSpecial Features:
- I did not like it. I endedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/28/2013I did not like it. I ended up walking out and never ate.
- We live in the neighborhoodyummyVIPDined on 2/27/2013We live in the neighborhood and find Royce to be convenient always deelish service very good and the interior cozy We hope it stays to become another permanent addiction to highland Parks restaurant scene
- MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMJacjVIPDined on 2/24/2013My husband and I went for a late Sunday lunch. Since Royce is associated w/it's "sister" restaurant, Inovasi, in Lake Bluff, we figured the food had to be excellent. Lived up to our expectations and beyond. The burgers are excellent using quality products and done exactly to your specifications. Had onion rings appetizer which came out hot and crispy. The parmesean aioli dipping sauce is out of this world. My husband and the chicken on polenta. Crispy skin and moist, couldn't finish it. Love the cocktails. All w/a twist such as herbs or homemade syrups added. Love the imagination used to develop these drinks and the food. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Darren, our server, was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013Darren, our server, was excellent. The noise level was a little challenging making it difficult to hear our tablemates at times.Special Features:
- Served you way too fast...ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/23/2013Served you way too fast...Server kept asking how food was and interupting conversation. Good burger but not that unique.
- Love, Love, LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/22/2013I loved the carrot soup, whitefish, and candy bar pie. My wife loved the beat salad, linguini, and chocolate cake, and the kids loved the burger, fries (best ever?), and milk shakes. Service was wonderful and place has a nice vibe. Its a keeper!Special Features:
- The burgers were great, everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2013The burgers were great, everyone in the group of 6 had the them, they were delicious.Special Features:
- overall very disappointing.mkmorelaVIPDined on 2/15/2013overall very disappointing. food was not good. service was not good. prices seemed high. not a great combination.
- We loved the new decor andeagle2000VIPDined on 2/13/2013We loved the new decor and the menu is great. Can't wait to go back to try the salads. We had burgers (beef and veggie). Love the toppings and thanks for the delicious popcorn starter.Special Features:
- We shared burgers and friedOakBrookLuncherVIPDined on 2/10/2013We shared burgers and fried chicken. The veggie burger was very moist and good. However, it did fall apart easily The turkey burger was very good. The beef burger was average. The fried chicken was very tasty, but very greasy. Best part of the meal were the fries - some of the best on the north shoreSpecial Features:
- Excellent burgers in a casual,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/10/2013Excellent burgers in a casual, friendly atmosphere. Did came out quickly, service was friendly and efficient. Great spot for a family dinner.Special Features:
- Some of the food not preparedTheblindhomerVIPDined on 2/9/2013Some of the food not prepared consistently....crab cakes were awesome
- just ok - nothing special menuDickieVIPDined on 2/9/2013just ok - nothing special menu very limited and with that the food should be exceptional. probably wont go back, there are other places that specialize in burgers that are much better.