Royal Khyber - OC
1621 W. Sunflower Avenue
Santa Ana, CA 92704Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Royal Khyber - OC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.royalkhyber.com/
- Phone: (714) 436-1010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Indian, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Arun Puri
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: At Premises & Off premises
- Entertainment: Pipi-in music
A word from Royal Khyber - OC
The Royal Khyber............A Journey for your palate and mind. The art of Indian cookery lies NOT in high spicing but in the delicacy of spicing. Indian cuisine is universally known for its distinctive flavorings. It was in fact the lure of these spices which first brought the British and the French, the Dutch and the Portuguese to the Indian coast. It is the use of selected spices in a particular manner (whole spices, ground and or spice blends) to bring out the dormant flavors of a dish, which is the real art, practiced by the experienced chefs in the Royal Khyber kitchen.Continued
Royal Khyber is a Fine Indian Cuisine Restaurant, located in South Coast Plaza Village (across from Nordstrom).
Royal Khyber is a Fine Indian Cuisine Restaurant, located in South Coast Plaza Village (across from Nordstrom).
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Royal Khyber - OC reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (14)romantic (8)fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (7)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Always a wonderful evening for usGandC2014Dined on 11/4/2014The Jambalaya was outstanding and,of course, that most exotic lamb shank...I cook a mean greek-style shank, but hard to beat Royal Kyber's. We're romantic grandparents and this is one of our favorite spots!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestJezzyDined on 10/14/2014The samosa's and naan are good. I specifically asked for mild spicy and the royal tandoori has very spicy lamb and sprimp. The dish is much too big for one person and too heavy on the meat. I probably would not go back. There are better Indian restaraunts.
- Very Good DinnerBillVIPDined on 10/3/2014The Samosa (lamb) was excellent and is highly recommended as an hors d'oeuvres. Both entrees of Tandoori Chicken and Butter Chicken were also excellent. My wife really enjoyed the olive naan. The service was very good. Dinner at the Royal Khyber was a very good dining experience and is recommended to anyone seeking a good Indian meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a "fine" Indian dining experienceVinnyDined on 9/7/2014We were looking for a suitable restaurant for our dad's landmark birthday and decided here. We were not disappointed. Not only does it have the ambiance , it has a great variety of menu items including wines. Loved the vegitrian thali, mussel appetizer, butter chicken in particUlar. Staff were very friendly and service oriented. We would dine here again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food in OCfoodie4lifeDined on 8/30/2014We love Royal Khyber! Our family has been dining there for the last 10 years & it is excellent each & every time. The service is impeccable, the food is authentic & delicious, and the ambiance is romantic yet comfortable for a family. They will customize your selection of dishes to your desires, i.e. vegetarian, spicy, non-spicy, etc...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014Our server was friendly and made outstanding suggestions for our meal. The service was prompt, and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 98 reviews are from the Royal Khyber - OC reviews archive.
- Mthede1VIPDined on 7/5/2014Best Indian Food in Orange County period. Service was impressive and the food was outstanding. Tip: order the tandoori plate for the table. A perfect way to taste a bit of their best. Don't miss the curried mussels either. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Food!FlumppDined on 6/19/2014I have been here several time and I am a huge fan. The atmosphere is great, the restaurant is clean, the service is exceptional, then there's the food.......excellent. It's a little pricey, but well worth the extra money for the quality of the food and the service.Special Features:
- Exotic Epicurean Journey!VinodDined on 5/12/2014I am an Indian with a hotel management degree. I was taken aback when I went in to find that most of the staff wasn't Indian and I had to order in English. The staff was very professional but I still had that nagging doubt about a foreigner (ok, non-Indian!) preparing my very expensive meal. All my suspicions were laid to rest when the staff rolled out the food. The sauces were textbook perfect, the spices blissful and the kebabs divine! The staff is professional, courteous, friendly and just amazing! The food is slightly expensive but, this is fine dining (not just Indian!) at its best. I highly recommend planning your trip and ordering the Biryani (Lamb or Chicken takes 30 minutes) before arriving for this exotic epicurean journey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good good and servicesam1Dined on 5/10/2014Food was very good and service was great. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Decent food, but priceyCrazyBeekerDined on 5/10/2014Wait staff was friendly and the food was well presented with "fine dining" touches (i.e. silver garnish on the kheer dessert), but overall the dishes did not have the flavor that justified $20+ dollars per item. For example, the "butter chicken" wasn't creamy and was a bit bland. There are likely less expensive options in the area at half the price.Special Features:
- bigeaterVIPDined on 5/4/2014Good food for white people who like mild Indian food.
- Love the chicken Madras.ccffVIPDined on 5/2/2014Service and food are fantastic. Chicken Tika was cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Great Indian FoodlizyapVIPDined on 5/1/2014We had the Vegetarian plates & the Lamb Curry (Tika Masala) and they were amazing! I forget about this restaurant, but every time I go, I thoroughly enjoy the food & ambiance! Looking forward to visiting again soon!Special Features:
- Fantastic experience as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/9/2014Been a visitor here for personal and work related dinners, and it has been a fantastic experience each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Chicken MadrasccffVIPDined on 4/4/2014Try the Chicken Madras and you better ask it be prepared "Mild". Because ordered off the menu it can be pretty spicy but done correctly is one of the best dishes ever created from India. Love the tandori chicken with lemon as well. Superb...Special Features:
- A wonderful SupriseJackDined on 3/30/2014A wonderful Suprise. Our meal was very tasty. The appetizer was good. II enjoyed the Butter Chicken. The deserts were not the best, but perhaps they were not familiar to my pallet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as alwaysacproductionsDined on 3/30/2014Royal Khyber never disappoints, whether you go for dinner or Sunday brunch. The location is convenient, setting is lovely, service is attentive and gracious, and the food is outstanding. Butter chicken is incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time To TryPCHcruiserDined on 3/28/2014We had a reservation and were seated immediately. Very busy night. Our waiter was prompt and helpful. Our food came after a short wait. There were two large groups and the noise level was loud and annoying. Quieted way down after they left. Food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed.FalconerVIPDined on 2/19/2014Very good food and attentive service in a very serene environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Indian foodNIDJDined on 2/14/2014One of the few good India food restaurants.Never had complaint of food or service.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our timeMegnchrisDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I dined here for Valentines day we had great service from the moment we walked in they were prompt and very attentive. We started with the vegetarian samosas, my honest opinion... I'd skip them a little dry and lacked flavor...We ordered two main courses and shared them a prawn dish which was absolutely yummy and spicy! Also we ordered the chicken tikka masala and it was bland and needed something extra like salt or something... All in all we'd go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Samosas could have been moredolis24Dined on 2/12/2014Samosas could have been more authentic, too dry for my taste buds. Tandoori was a bit of a mss too. The curries are awesome and the service was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and extraordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014Amazing food and extraordinary service. I wish they had some fun indian music playing.Special Features:
- Half way between LA and SDOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2014Met old friends there. All had Indian buffet. All enjoyed everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2014Received special treatment on a special occasion. Royal Khyber staff made us feel special and set the mood for a great night. Last Saturday my hubbie and I dined at RK on our anniversary. The host sat us in a private table, greeting us and checked on us many times. The bartender was funny and entertaining, she too came by and to ensure we had everything we needed. Our waiter was fabulous and provided a delicious dessert to celebrate our special occasion. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the perfect level of attentiveness.Special Features:
- I have always been a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/8/2014I have always been a great fan of this established estaurant as the quality of food was among the best in orange county. However , this time the food was mediocre at best and the service was spotty. The portions of the entre was also very small.
- Tasty and exoticPeterD67Dined on 1/31/2014Tired of the same old food at restaurants? Try this place. Typically relaxed, but very classy Indian restaurant. We had the tandoori mixed plate as an appetizer - excellent selection for sampling the varied tastes. we were there with our 12 and 14 year old granddaughters and they really loved it (they love spicy food).Special Features:
- Upscale, but not that tastyPawnsterbDined on 1/18/2014The place has nice ambiance, good location, friendly staff, and drink selection is decent. I wanted to like this place but was not impressed with the food. The samosa appetizer was excellent as was the naan, but everything else was quite bland. I had the eggplant dish and the lamb, which was very tender but not very tasty. No spice and just bland. On top of this, the place is pricy. Prob won't make it back.Special Features:
- DeliciousDdnnDined on 1/12/2014First visit to this restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The food was terrific, the wine delicious, the service impeccable and the ambience was very nice. They accommodated our large group of eight with no problem. Very attentive and prompt service. Would definitely recommend and will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food of OK as in they didyzf600laDined on 1/3/2014Food of OK as in they did not provide specific taste for different dishes, we order 4-5 different dishes - however, they appeared to made out of the same fundamental ingredients sauce. The service was good, especially when they serve you the food in your plate. Few restaurant servers do that. The wine needs to be in a cooler or wine chiller - cannot be served just in room temperature Finally, they should provide a finger bowl at the end. The Hispanic waitress knew the indian food and did a good job explaining and tried to sell. However, the servers need to do a balancing act and ensure that too much is not ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The lace and food were goodRPDADined on 12/25/2013The lace and food were good but very short staff and delayed service
- Excelent IndianHBLizDined on 12/21/2013We come here often and are never disappointed. The subtlety of Indian cooking is evident in all the dishes. Good service, good bar.Special Features:
- Super!MalbecVIPDined on 12/21/2013Best meal I have ever had at Royal Khyber, it was fantastic. The shrimp sagwaal (spelling) was yummy as were the other dishes the others had.Special Features:
- Indian FoodEnjoyeatingVIPDined on 12/14/2013Good Indian food prepared the way you want it. Pleasant ambiance but food take long to get to the table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal Royal Khyber!rezjoe76Dined on 10/22/2013Quiet, relaxing experience.Our server answered our questions, was very attentive & respectful-great service! Food was delicious & well-presented. We'll back & also be sure to try their Sunday brunch! We really enjoyed our dinner...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian FoodConnieVIPDined on 10/19/2013We have had Indian food at several different restaurants. This one was not the best. I don't think we would go back. The Indian salad was overseasoned - too spicy and did not seem fresh. The Chicken Tika Marsala was good, the okra (Bindhi) was very overcoated and dry.Special Features:
- lamb shank was never this goodAngeloDined on 10/17/2013our favorite here is the lamb shank curry, aptly named Khyber nectar. It is very tender and nicely spiced, cooked over many hours. the best part is the curry which makes perfect dipping sauce for the naan. For $25 you also get naan, small side dish of salad and a little bit of basmati rice. we've tried other dishes here but nothing special (overpriced since portion is small and flavor is just so so) other than the lamb curry, which is exceptional.Special Features:
- Indian Cuisine at Its BestVaughnVIPDined on 10/10/2013This was our second visit to Royal Khyber. As during our first experience the food and service were superb. We look forward to our next meal there.Special Features:
- Very good Indian cuisinelkcguamVIPDined on 10/6/2013We have been to Royal Khyber several times over the past 4 years. The food is delicious. The wine and drinks are quite pricey and not top quality. Nevertheless, we always enjoy a shared dinner with friends. They make some of the best Rogan Gosh and Chicken Tikka Masala available in California. The Naan is good but sometimes a bit under baked. We will continue to return.Special Features: