329 Market St
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.royalindia.com/
- Phone: (619) 546-7777
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Indian
- Executive Chef: Kambo Brothers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: No party is too small or too large for us. We have well built hall which can accommodate many number of people with all the luxuries provided. We can cater Indian cuisine, Italian food, Mexican food etc. For Indian food we can bring Tandoor onsite with team of our chefs and staff. Royal India is adequately equipped for corporate events or office parties with abundance of tranquility. Royal India offers a unique luncheon and dining experience.
- Private Party Facilities: You tell us what you want and,we’ll set the scene. Whether want to organize a rehearsal dinner or a corporate event, we will create a personalized, enjoyable, and memorable event. Our team of expert staff will do everything required to make your experience enjoyable. We will take care of every detail and make your experience a memorable one, from a welcoming greeting to the last bite of dessert.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Kambo 6194870000
- Entertainment: Ambiance Dancers on special occasions.
A word from Royal India
"Experience the difference with the Royal Touch" Escape to the hottest Indian restaurant in Southern California. At multi award winner Royal India you will be utterly pampered with gracious hospitality, plush Ambiance and world class food made with authentic ingredients and recipes, that will leave you utterly aglow. So Good So Pure So ROYAL "Experience the spirit of spice in every bite" Only at Royal IndiaContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Royal India reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (6)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (4)romantic (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- unfortunate serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Waited 35 minutes before I made a waiter take our order. No one introduced themselves as our waiter/waitress. Not rude just incompetent.
- Worth the visitMel61Dined on 10/25/2014There are many choices for Indian food and this is a good one. The furnishings give a nice ambiance without being tacky and the servers (4 of them!) were very attentive. We were a party of four and each of us had something different. Everything was excellent. By the way, they offer both vegetarian and meals with meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OveralldinerDined on 10/17/2014our overall dining experience was at the very least outstanding and the food was the best i've had. Our server was great that she even brought over a desert for me as it was my birthday of pistachio ice cream.Special Features:
- Great place to dineSDfoodieDined on 9/20/2014I had my daughters Bridal Shower here on Saturday night and I can't rave enough about this restaurant. They gave us a large private area and made sure not to seat guest near by to give us as much privacy as possible. We didn't even have to ask. Our server was so educational on the food and culture. Very attentive and just great service. The food was absolutely delicious! You have to order the Lamb Curry. Large portions and very reasonable priced. Five stars and I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pup1VIPDined on 9/17/2014Food is very good and the service had improved since we dined there several weeks ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Indian FoodloveindianfoodDined on 9/8/2014I appreciate dining at Royal India because they serve dishes that are really hard to duplicate at home. The special blending of seasoning is hard to replicate. Generous portions are great for sharing or as left overs. When I next get my craving for Indian food I will be heading for Royal India!Special Features:
- Good Indian FoodBigkmoDined on 9/2/2014Royal India has been on Market Street for years but we hadn't tried it. I'm sorry we waited so long. They have a varied menu and our server was happy to describe the items we had questions about. We will visit again to work our way through all the menu items that intrigued us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/2/2014I took a group of folks from work for a birthday lunch. First, the service was outstanding. Very nice menu selection as well as a buffet option with a lot of good selection as well. Prices were reasonable. HIghly recommend the pistachio ice cream. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty overpriced for what it is.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Service was good. The food was good. The wine and plates were extremely over priced. I would not return.Special Features:
- Good food, average serviceAA18VIPDined on 8/23/2014Good quality food, but slightly overpriced. Service and attitude needs improvement.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not valmue for moneyPeterDined on 8/16/2014We are a family of Four just relocated to San Diego and we where looking forward to have a nice Indian meal Saturday evening. We went to this restaurant because it was rewarded the "Best Indian restaurant of the year 2013" Something must have happened since then because the service was very poor. Particularly one waiter was throwing our food on the table. They took our plates before everyone had finished. The food was very average. It is not the cheapest Indian and therefor I cannot recommend this restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Good service. Food portions were tasty but grossly lacking in size. Very disappointed in the naan (overly cooked/crispy).Special Features:
- OKAllAboutTheFoodDined on 8/2/2014I had a better experience about a year ago when I ate there. Service is everything, and it wasn't that great on my last visitI would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurechas980VIPDined on 8/1/2014My wife brought me here for my birthday. The food was outstanding. I had the lamb malai, so tender and juicy and flavorful. I just loved it. My wife had the buttery chicken, also very good. The atmosphere here is very, very nice, really nice to celebrate the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantastic!JoalsbearDined on 7/31/2014Went with a school group and none of us had ever been to an Indian restaurant. Our waitress was patient and made excellent recommendations. All of us were quite satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great except the servicecreasianVIPDined on 7/25/2014Now the food is outstanding. But the service or ordering processes need some help. The waiters were the only ones who could order food. Our helpful water lady was very helpful, but we waiting about 45 minutes for a 2nd order of Nan. Don't get us wrong, the food was outstanding.. But the restaurant needs some help on service and updating the ordering process.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 73 reviews are from the Royal India reviews archive.
- Pricey for food qualityfoodloverDined on 7/16/2014I went in this restaurant reading great reviews online. I could only manage to go late in the night , and to my dismay, to me it was too much hype. The food quality is very decent and i was looking for great authentic food taste. Dont get me wrong, the food taste was good, but haven eaten in other san diego area indian hotels and bay area hotels, this hotel food is okay. The ambiance is certainly good, but no parking in the downtown for this restaurant certainly is irksome. The service to me was very ordinary. I had to ask for salt had to just wait for a separate glass of water for my 5 yr old and I had to go in and remind to get a glass. Maybe it was just night time and the staff was ready to get out. Will be careful recommending this.
- Try Royal India..you won't be sorryiyers4diningDined on 7/11/2014We met some old friends to introduce them to Indian food and Royal India was a great choice. The food was flavorful and spiced the way we ordered. The naan bread was wonderful. Our waiter, Amit, was super friendly and knowledgeable. We asked if our friends could go to the kitchen to see the tandoor oven and they were allowed without hesitation. They came back with a piece of naan made fresh for them in the tandoor while they watched. They were amazed and very happy. Thank you for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDaveDined on 6/29/2014It was my first time in San Diego, and I saw this restaurant in a "Best Restaurants in San Diego", and I wasn't disappointed. It was our anniversary and we wanted something special and decided to try out this Indian Restaurant. We ordered Chicken Garlic Kabob as starter and Chicken Tikka with Garlic Naans as Main course. In both the dishes the chicken was very succulent and tasty. Will love to visit this restaurant again!Special Features:
- people make the differenceSanjDined on 6/27/2014The food was done right. Yvonne, my server, was a firecracker. Engaging and friendly. Anna, the hostess, welcoming. Amit who served me last time came over to say hello. Felt like home. Thx.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Indian Cuisine/AtmospherePhuedeeDined on 6/24/2014Have been looking around San Diego for some good Indian food for about a year now and Royal India, by far, has the best that I've sampled. The atmosphere was perfect for couples or groups and the staff were phenomenal.Special Features:
- tinnieDined on 6/16/2014It's been a few years since I've gone to this restaurant and the food quality has declined. Not quite as tasty as I remember and the rice was clumpy instead of fluffy. The food was very hastily delivered which detracted from the ethnic dining experience.
- Understaffedpup1VIPDined on 6/1/2014Service was slow as they were apparently understaffed. We waited some time for service. Food came fairly quickly, but we had to wait for our check. Staff there were friendly. Food was fine.
- Average1LizDined on 5/9/2014Very over priced for everyday Indian. I LOVE Indian food but was no more impressed then the next place so to me it was extremely over priced.
- Not as Good as the Last Timeasset25VIPDined on 5/4/2014Visiting from out of town, I ate here 4 years ago and the food was amazing! So naturally I came back on my next visit to downtown San Diego. I was somewhat disappointed. The service was poor (not enough glasses of water, uninformed wait staff, wrong entrees to wrong people, appetizers without promised chutneys, etc.) and the caliber of the food was not as high as it had been on my previous trip. Perhaps I ordered the wrong thing, but the lamb korma was tough and not satisfying. The appetizers were decent but how can you go wrong with fried everything? The naan were tasty but pricey. And there were flies bothering us for at least half the meal. I'm not sure I'll go back again.Special Features:
- Great timeGreattimeandfoodDined on 5/3/2014I took my wife there for her birthday and she loved everything. The food and device was great. I would recommend this place for any occasion and party size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKLRDinnerDined on 4/29/2014Food was not that flavorful. The biryani was good as was the fried onions, but the cauliflower dish was very dry and the hala chicken had little flavor. Our waitress was chewing gum or eating something when she finally came to our table. Others have complained about the service also. Although the food did arrive quickly.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/28/2014A friend and I came on a Monday night, with reservations, so the place wasn't too busy and noisy. Service was quick and efficient, very friendly wait staff. But the real star was the food, absolutely delicious. Can't wait to go there again!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2014Good overall experience except for noisy family next to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful timeDarcip62Dined on 4/21/2014My niece was I town she had never tried Indian food and was excited to do so. This was my husband and i's second time eating here at the royal. Indian. We love the smell of this place. Last time our waiter was so excellent! He suggested dishes and encouraged us to try new things. The waiter tonight was friendly enough, but he kept trying to tell us we were ordering too much. We wanted our guest to experience many different tastes. We were even cut off when. My husband wanted to talk desert, the waiter said, no let's see, you will not want any with this amount of food. We love to take lots of leftovers and for days later. When my husband did say he wanted desert, the waiter made all kinds of faces he could not believe we would order so much.Special Features:
- Very Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014Our waiter's name was Adim ( I think that is right). He was very friendly and knowledgeable about the food. Had hummus and nan appetizer, absolutely delicious. Garlic chicken entree was really great too. My wife had a vegetarian dish, the name I do not know, but it too was excellent. Will definitely be back. Also, the decor is beautiful and the music appropriate. Other restaurants would do well to match their background music, if they have any, to the food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/15/2014On Spring Break vacation with my kids, we visited the restaurant and really enjoyed our experience there. I was not quite adept at using Open Table, but the hosts there were patient and helpful. They went the extra mile to assist me, within reason, to secure my discount and make me feel welcome. They were extremely patient with helping my kids with their orders, giving them equal treatment as paying customers. My kids still talk about it today and want to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodRGourmetDined on 4/8/2014The food was bland and uninteresting and the service was average. I would not go back.
- Great food and attentive serviceElizabethDined on 3/31/2014Our group of six enjoyed the food, the amble portions and the service at Royal India. Every aspect was top quality. I will look forward to eating here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch experience was okay4foodiemeDined on 3/31/2014Our reservation was at 12:00 but we were there early and no one was there so we were seated right away. Total experience was just okay. The food was good but not great. The server was friendly but not as knowledgable, I had Indian food before and ordered my favorite Chicken Tikka Masala. However, my friends were not familiar with the food and went by the server's suggestion and we ended up with three chicken dishes. I would recommend it, if you are craving Indian food and you are in the area, but I would not consider them the best in San Diego. As I said, we were here for lunch, so maybe dinner will have a different ambiance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!KathieDined on 3/29/2014We brought a group of ten from a conference. Reservation made quickly online, table was ready and we were seated immediately. The restaurant was beautiful. Service was impeccable and the food was hot and delicious. I ordered something that was not on the menu, but combined two menu items and was happily accommodated. A wonderful experience with no glitches. Would be a favorite of mine if I lived in San Diego. Prices were reasonable. Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty dishes!NickDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I very much enjoyed our first visit to down town Royal India. Food was excellent and portions plentiful. We also got very helpful recommendations by our female waitress, for the best choice of dishes. We'll come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh IndianFoodlvrDined on 3/28/2014My daughter and I are here. Our table was ready immediately on a Friday night although they were quite full. Service was prompt and friendly. My salmon was fresh and delicious while my daughter's curry dish was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing & poor serviceDoctorRSDined on 3/25/2014Disappointing service and food. Went with hyped rating and totally disappointed. Took over 20 minutes for someone to come to our table... we were almost ready to leave the restaurant looking for alternates in the area.
- Thanks A BunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014This is one of the few GOOD restaurants available through "Thanks A Bunch" - a special treat for honoring our military. The reservations were made easily online. The staff were patient when a traffic accident delayed my dining partner, and the waiter was instrumental in explaining the menu, and boxing up the left over generous portions for us to return to our hotel with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.