Royal India - Del Mar
3860 Valley Centre Drive
San Diego, CA 92130Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Royal India - Del Mar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.royalindiadelmar.com/
- Phone: (858) 792-1111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm -9:30pm
Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: South Indian, Persian, Indian
- Executive Chef: Jag Kambo and Sam Kambo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Our guests can enjoy award winning cuisine along with live Sitar music; played every Saturday in the evenings!
A word from Royal India - Del Mar
The essence of Indian cuisine lies in the wonderful combination and imaginative use of spices and herbs. The dishes we prepare have been created by our mother using the healthiest and freshest ingredients. Our menu is filled with fresh flavors, fabulous colors and deliciously varied textures! Welcome to our newest venture- Jag Kambo and Sam Kambo Serving San Diego for the past Sixteen Years.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Royal India - Del Mar reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)great for outdoor dining (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- The food was overpriced & coldRoxy021VIPDined on 11/16/2014The ambiance at the Royal India was beautiful. The dishes were overpriced. The samosa appetizer was good, however the mixed grill sizzling plate came to us cold (no sizzle there) and there was not much food on the plate for the $30 price. Although the service was good, I would not recommend Royal India.
- Reliable Indian Cuisine800luvtoeatVIPDined on 11/8/2014We love the food at Royal India. No two dishes taste the same. There is great depth of flavor in each dish. Our only problem is the consistency of the spice (heat) level. Most dishes when you ask for medium spice have no spice. We are still trying to find the perfect number so our food has some kick to it. Otherwise I recommend it highly. Friendly and knowledgeable staff, very clean and pretty decor.Special Features:
- MonicaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Excellent food and service. Kids from a birthday party were running around and screaming. :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!PmsayreVIPDined on 11/6/2014We really enjoyed our meal. The food was great and the service was just right. We'll be back to dine here soon!Special Features:
- Very Good Lunch-try the buffettlocalfoodieVIPDined on 11/3/2014We came in for lunch and was very pleasantly surprised to find such great items on the menu. We decided to try the buffett which was a great sampling of menu items. I would highly recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Dinner with Great FriendsaryysalgadoDined on 11/2/2014Absolutely enjoyed the experience and the waitstaff was friendly as well as humerous. This was more of a late night find and it was extremely easy to obtain a reservation. I loved it and so did our group! Will visit again when in the area.Special Features:
- Fav local restaurantFredyairDined on 10/24/2014Standard Indian fare, but very good, the curries are distinctive and sharp, the meat always tender and savory. Love them all.Special Features:
- Buffet needs hotter food pleasePembVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great service and good potential, not sure about items off the menu but buffet food was tepid warm. The man bread was hot and fresh though.
- The following 23 reviews are from the Royal India - Del Mar reviews archive.
- Good buffet; service fairfoodloverDined on 7/23/2014Seven of us ordered the lunch buffet. The food was well flavored. and there was a variety of items. There were levels of seasoning to please all tastes. I wish the food had been hotter, and the tandoori chicken was definitely too dry. The service could have been better. They brought a basket of bread with six pieces as we arrived; we had request another basket so everyone could have at least one piece. We asked for a third basket which never arrived. No one asked if we wanted anything but water to drink. We chatted until 2:00 without being encouraged to leave. Someone should have offered tea. Business people are often in a hurry, but we obviously weren't going to eat and run so they should have made us feel more welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeZDined on 6/30/2014We had the buffet. The food was excellent. The price was reasonable. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely delicious!!!KatzVIPDined on 6/29/2014We have eaten indian food in other good restaurants, but Royal india surpasses them!! The food was exquisite and the service was fantastic! The menu has soooo many dishes that we wanted to try!Special Features:
- Vegetarians BewareSMSDDined on 6/14/2014We had two strict (religious). vegetarians in our dinner party. They ordered a Paneer Tikka Masala. When the order came they confirmed with the server it was in fact Paneer Tikka Masala and not Chicken Tikka Masala. He confirmed. Only after both vegetarians had taken a bite did they realize that the dish was chicken. One had gone 69 years of her life never eating meat only to have her religious beliefs violated by this restaurant's carelessness. When we asked for a manager we were told that the owners/managers were not present. The waitstaff said they called the owners and the owners' way of addressing this mistake was to comp just the one $15 dish, leaving us with a $100+ bill even after their carelessness. Unacceptable.
- Loved it!KimoDined on 5/4/2014Delicious food and excellent service. It was a birthday celebration and they could not have been nicer. The nam (Indian bread) was melt-in-your-mouth good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staffDonnaVIPDined on 4/28/2014The restaurant wa great. Our second time there brought my parents with me. The food was delicious we ordered quite a few appetizers and when we go our bill they did not charge us for them it was on the house:-). Thanx to the tall indian waiter sorry don't recall his name. Will definitely be back there again when in La Jolla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/27/2014I frequent many Indian resturants. I am a fan of Indian food. My favorite Indian dish is the Aloo Ghobi. I've eaten this dish many times at many different Indian resturants. I must say your Aloo Ghobi dish was not up to the standard of other Indian resturants. It was dry. Plain and simple. I say this not to put down your resturant. But I believe you need honest constructive criticism.
- EXCELLENT FOODbreezeDined on 2/16/2014The food is sooo delicious and I highly reccommend this restaurant. One of the best Indian flavors I have ever experienced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great for lunch maybe...SusanDined on 2/14/2014The food was good, but the service for Valentine's night was interesting. Long waiting time to get just water. Waiter comes to take the entire order at once without asking what we wanted to drink besides water. Water refill took as long as the first time. Asked for to go boxes three times. The waiter starts boxing the food and slamming the empty entree plates on our table. He nearly drops one of the boxed entrees on the table and knocks the mango lassi cup over, luckily I finished the drink. Didn't take long to come with the check, but again took long to get the payment. I walked the payment up to the cash register and waited. He almost walks past me with the transaction and realizes that I was waiting there all along. Service needs work.
- Valentines surpriseAntvegas777Dined on 2/14/2014Our first visit to this restaurant didn't disappoint on a very busy Valentines Day. The service was quick and friendly without being rushed and the food was Delicious. While we ate a gentleman was sitting at the entrance playing a sitar which gave a nice ambience while enjoying a great meal. I look forward to returning and trying other dishes on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian cuisineGreatLunchVIPDined on 12/23/2013The owners just updated the dishes and they are very nice and tasty Curries and all kind of north Hindu dishes . Staff very friendly !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious CurriesLadyTiberiusVIPDined on 12/11/2013I've been trying something new each time I visit and I have not been let down. Delicious food. My understanding is that they just started buffets on Mondays. I can't wait to go back and try that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best fine dining Indian experiencekoppeDined on 12/7/2013we went for a special celebration, birthday... they provided glass of champagne on the house! very nice. Great food... removing our dishes after we were done was slow... service was a litle slow, but they had a large group next to us so we were understanding. we were charged for lobster when they were out and had to use fish.. did not notice until we got home... we will return! the live music was amazing.... overall a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good at allMonaDined on 11/21/2013The waiter never took our drink order. We had to remind him. They kept delivering the next table's dishes to our table. They asked what our spice level preference was,. We said 7. There was absolutely no spice. Actually most of the dishes, which are native to my culture, came out tasting a bit sweet and not savory at all. As an Indian that was introducing someone to Indian food, I was embarrassed I chose this place. I should have just took him to Delhi Kitchen instead. It would have been cheaper and tasted so much better than this terrible place.
- Great Decor, Expensive for DinnerGourmandDined on 10/12/2013The decor is lovely and inviting, especially the waterfall. If you go for dinner, the food is quite expensive and the portion sizes are rather small. I am told the lunch buffets are good value for your money. They bring all the courses very quickly to the table and try to clear off the plates before you can even contemplate whether you want a second or third helping.Special Features:
- great experiencegshaftDined on 9/28/2013Food was delicious and the staff was very helpful. I would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Indian restaurantmikeVIPDined on 9/27/2013authentic good Indian food, what more do you need?Special Features:
- Carmel Valley IndianphoxxDined on 9/22/2013The food was good but the wine prices where out of sight. $40 for a bottle of Ruffino Pino Grigio . The food was standard Indian with a few extras mixed in. Not worth the 10 miles we drove to get there. 20%off coupon has a $12 max.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont judge a book by it's coverSuccessDined on 9/7/2013With a plain-jane, strip mall exterior, you would never guess the gem that lies inside. From the beautiful & very courteous Hostess, & perfectly attentive waiter, to the fantastic food. I would recommend Royal India to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland food, poor service all overMattDVIPDined on 9/1/2013I had high hopes for this restaurant, which took over in the space of another Indian restaurant. Alas, it was not to be. Problems were evident immediately as multiple servers didn't know if they were assigned to our table. Our order was then entered improperly (missed an appetizer item); when I pointed this out to the food runner, he showed me the ticket as if to say "it's not his fault" (we did get free dessert once we spoke to our waiter). It turns out the table next to us also had order issues, as their 2 soups and 1 entrée turned into 1 soup and 2 entrée. When our food arrived (ordered "medium" spicy) it was bland and flavorless. Further issues included stains on tablecloths, service issues at other tables, etc.
- Very good Indian cuisinekarenDined on 8/23/2013Our appetizers and entree dishes were flavorful and colorful. The presentation was appetizing. The restaurant tables and linen are appealing, and fresh table bouquets provided a good amount of color to show off the white linens and shiny tableware. The interior is very inviting. the water feature is beautiful. The seating arrangement was comfortable; we did not feel cramped or packed. The staff were pleasant and attentive. We will return again to enjoy more meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but lacked serviceBigODined on 7/14/2013Perhaps it was timing, but service was a bit off perhaps due to a large party in the middle of the restaurant. Food is awesome, but service lacked at this time.Special Features:
- Will Go Back AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2013Went here with a group of friends and we just ordered a bunch of dishes...which were wonderful! Everyone loved the food :)I would recommend this to a friend.