7 W. Carrillo St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantroy.com/
- Phone: 8058993458
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner Nightly: 6:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Roy Gandy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room for up to 20 people with no room charge.
- Private Party Contact: Roy Gandy 8059665636
- Entertainment: Different styles of music.
A word from Roy
In business for more than 20 years, Roy is a bistro-style, Americana restaurant with a frequently changing, handwritten menu. We strive to serve unpretentious cuisine of the highest quality. We use mostly certified organic produce from the local Santa Barbara Farmers Market, free range chicken and Harris Ranch hormone free beef. We bake our own bread, hand roll our pastas and make all of our desserts in house. Our ambiance is retro moderne California casual, and we have rotating art shows that run for a month and a half at a time. Live music once in a while. Full bar all the time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Roy reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (7)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (5)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (4)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Boring restaurantmaliburonVIPDined on 8/23/2014Decided to try the restaurant because they were suppose to be celebrating 15 year birthday....Menu was a smaller menu...not what they advertised. No reason to try this place...way to many good restaurants to waste your time here.
- Great eveningomnivoreDined on 8/8/2014We had a really good meal at Roy recently. There was a new menu and we shared a delicious tomato bisque, a really crisp, tasty salad, which I followed with Divers scallops on a bed of spinach, and my son had the wild salmon picata. The atmosphere was very lively and friendly with Roy Gandy interacting with his guests. It was fun as well as delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art, great plates and ambiance !mindyDined on 6/26/2014My friend and I truly enjoyed our visit to Roy. The art focused decor, the singer/songwriter entertainment, and well prepared dishes made for a terrific evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night out!DinnerclubiesDined on 6/11/2014Went here with a group of girls to celebrate a birthday, and had a fantastic time! The service was excellent, he was easy going and handled our group very well. the chicken with artichokes and chicken Marsala will blow your mind! Everything was cooked perfectly, and the combo of flavor was unreal. They also provided fun instruments for each of us to play while singing happy birthday to the birthday girl. A hidden treasure for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to an Old FavoriteIEatSantaBarbaraDined on 5/21/2014Roy's is reliable. From the good glass of house wine at an affordable price, to the flavorful meal and decadent dessert, I can count on every meal being enjoyable. The service was attentive and authentic, too. Mentioned that one of us was gluten-free, and an effort was made to kindly accommodate with adjustments. The display of work by struggling local artists is also very much noticed and appreciated. Roy's is one of the few locations open for late night dining in Santa Barbara. Very thankful to have it continue in business in our ever changing economy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 93 reviews are from the Roy reviews archive.
- Love this placeStevendVIPDined on 5/16/2014Roy is reliably delicious. It was a regular stop while we lived in Santa Barbera and we make a point of going there when visiting now.Special Features:
- Great evening.omnivoreDined on 5/11/2014Once again Roy didn't disappoint us. This time we were a family of 8 with two children, our server was delightful and efficient and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceNicklouDined on 4/5/2014This is the third time we have dined at Roy's. We love the food and the atmosphere. We love that you can dine late at night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setting with great foodLoveNItDined on 3/15/2014Roy is a great little hole in the wall type of place with good atmosphere and good food. Relaxed and cozy, dim lighting but not usually dark, a great local Santa Barbara place. They used to have a different menu every week, now it's more stable; they do however change the art on the walls often and it's also for sale. And they have the old "Jolly Tiger" neon sign......... They have great chocolate mousse dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy's Is Awesome!2MunchersDined on 3/8/2014My husband and I had an early dinner, Roy does not open until 6pm and is great for later dining after a show as they stay open til midnight. The food is reasonably priced and the quality is superb. Fresh sea bass and rack of lamb were both amazing. The service was lovely, our waiter, Zack, was polite, didn't rush us and was very efficient. Roy Restaurant has a great menu with fresh, local seasonal foods. The walls are decorated with local artists' works. Highly recommend Roys for a fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a Drink, Not DinnerIoneTaylorVIPDined on 2/15/2014This place has a cool, old, funky vibe to it, but the food and service were disappointing. I ordered the seafood pasta which was something I could have made at home with pantry staples and a jar of Alfredo sauce. My husband ordered the meatball spaghetti, and the dish arrived hot on one side and warm on the other which raised the specter of the microwave. The only fork at my place setting was a small salad fork. Our server quickly brought me a dinner fork, but otherwise she seemed completely out of her element. She didn't seem to know what she was doing, everything from taking the order to opening the wine bottle. We ran into some friends who were there for the live music starting later, so maybe this is a great place for just drinks.
- Pleasantly surprised.JuanDined on 2/15/2014Excellent food. Fantastic service. Interesting decor.Special Features:
- Customer Bewareaberuiz82Dined on 2/14/2014They never came to take our order. So after 15mins of waiting My wife and I walked out.
- Roy'sHungryinbetweenbites64Dined on 2/12/2014Always greeted warmly by staff. Atmosphere is awesome, and the prices are more than reasonable for great food and timely service. They also have a bar that is popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to Roy for manyBrigitDined on 2/4/2014We have been to Roy for many years and have never been disappointed by the food or by the service. The cost is reasonable and the food is well-prepared and well-presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great eveningomnivoreDined on 1/31/2014Our family had another great evening at Roy on Friday and, although it was full of diners and folks at the bar who were there for the last night of a spectacular art exhibit, the service was friendly and our food arrived in a timely fashion. The Sea Bass dinner was outstanding and my husband's filet, wrapped in bacon, was superb( his words). Roy was able to accommodate quite a few children who came with their parents to the Art Closing event, and they blended in. This is not a McDonalds, and children who go to Roy need to enjoy good food, be well behaved and quiet, and not demanding, but it is a child friendly restaurant. We always enjoy the atmosphere and the food at Roy, it's our family's favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food! Bring a flashlightFoodjunkieDined on 1/19/2014I haven't been to Roy since it opened (not sure why, the food was outstanding then) but just made a reappearance there this weekend. The place is cozy and inviting and the dimly lit room speaks of intimacy...until you try to read the menu or actually try to see what you're eating :-(. All 4 of us had to pull out our phones to actually read the menu which was quite frustrating. The food itself was spectacular! The meat was cooked perfectly (2 of us got steaks,) the soup was outstanding and all the desserts were super yummy. I will say that our server was charming and friendly but a little too MIA for a truly pleasant dining experience. We had to get up and find our server to request things...not sure how soon we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great evening at Roy.omnivoreDined on 1/10/2014We had another delicious evening at Roy. My husband and I enjoyed a perfectly cooked filet of steak, our son had a marvelous fish dish. Service was great and the vegetables were perfectly cooked too. The atmosphere was warm and friendly and we were able to re-examine the art on the walls and we bought a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at RoyomnivoreDined on 1/3/2014We had an excellent dinner at Roy, my son and I ate delicious fresh fish and vegetables and my husband had a great filet. Roy, apart from having a great bar, has the best ambience of any restaurant in town and, as Roy Gandy always supports local musicians and artists, there is always something interesting going on. The new art show features really beautiful and uplifting paintings by artist Holly Mackay, don't miss it! Rob Taylor, a fantastic guitarist, is playing there too,so check out the schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall ImpressionluvwineDined on 12/31/2013We made reservations and were seated at what felt like a community dining table with strangers. Was not happy about it so we asked to move and they put us at a bar table that tiny and not comfortable to sit in. Server did not seem super into working that night (NYE). for 50$ a plate, i guess i expected more? I have to admit I was warned that the ambiance was unusual but the food was worth it...I am just not sure if the trade was equal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and tastyGsaabDined on 12/27/2013Second time at Roy, was wondering if it would hold up to the first great experience on thanksgiving 2012. Am glad to say it did! Attentive service, tasty entrees, good cocktails. Only minus was a neighboring table who were extremely boisterous (which disturbed the Europeans in our party more than anyone else, fwiw)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roy is for realHeffinsbDined on 12/22/2013Always a great time at Roy. Low key Sunday night , Roy was there personally preparing our meals, and as usual in SB, we ran into other old friends dining there as well. Yumm..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food -- good valueSuzoomVIPDined on 12/21/2013Loved my meal at Roy. Like home-cooking, only better. I had a jalapeno pasta that was fantastic. I love the food is local, organic, yummy, and the bill won't break the bank. It's not like a lot of other restaurants where you get tiny portions, mediocre food, and a bill for $100 + The fresh bread was amazing too!Special Features:
- Our favorite placeLindon77Dined on 12/7/2013The atmosphere at Roy is excellent and the food is really good. We are never disappointed when we eat there!Special Features:
- Ok but...eaterDined on 11/28/2013Came for dinner with child (which I noted on reservation). There is no kid's menu but we asked for a little pasta for our son. This was on a night with fixed price limited menu so one assumes the kitchen staff wasn't too busy as there were limited options. The fixed price meal was $30 which seemed reasonable. The small bowl of boiled pasta for our son - $12.00! I protested to the waitress whose response seemed to be yeah, that's what it is, no apology. Consequently, what I thought was not a bad little place (we can't go any place too fancy because of our child), left me with a bad taste in my mouth at the end of the meal.
- Always a treat.DelighteddinerDined on 11/8/2013Went in with a party of ten in town for a wedding. Friendly service. Something for everyone on the menu. Delicious desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The whole packageSBDineDined on 10/26/2013There was a variety of local artwork on the walls that changes monthly. My wife and I were done and leaving before the band was able to set up so we were unable to enjoy some live music. The food was fantastic and we enjoyed eating it in the dimly lit romantic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place Moderate PricessanysidroVIPDined on 10/4/2013Had a very good meal last Saturday ---in particular the almond crusted sea bass. The chicken marsala is also a winner. Have reen going there for years and it is always consistent. Good food moderate prices.Special Features:
- Roy is wonderful. Great freshloriDined on 9/6/2013Roy is wonderful. Great fresh food with friendly service set in an artistic cool space. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dissappointmentAllenVIPDined on 8/8/2013Maybe we were there too early -- 7:30 - 8:45 on a Thursday night -- but while the food was good (but not great), the place was dead. Had expected a livelier scene based on Open Table reviews, such as we saw a several places along State street when we walked to and from Roy. Maybe it's no longer the local hot spot???
- (Off) State Street Gem!!JackCreekDocDined on 7/31/2013After coming to Santa Barbara for 6 years, we wanted to try something different and went to Roy based on Open Table reviews. The food was incredible! It was a unique place, the owner was in there visiting, it was not busy, and the food was top-notch. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab!TriciaDined on 7/25/2013My friend chose Roy for her restaurant of choice for her birthday dinner treat. There are a lot of restaurants here, but this was her choice because she loved our dinner at Roy from before. It was excellent! She had her favorite seafood pasta and I tried the crusted sea bass.,..both excellent. The perfection came when Spencer, the waiter, came over to sing her Happy Birthday...what a treat, as he is a local musician. It couldn't have been more perfect. Thank you, Spencer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food: good, comfort type foodmorrVIPDined on 7/25/2013Food: good, comfort type food (homemade pasta, cream sauces, etc.), generous portions. Decor: kinda funky, tired and old furnishings. Parking: parking structure across the street.
- Always good, Always RoyBillTVIPDined on 7/12/2013Roy is always one of our favorite places for dinner. The food is great, the price is fine and the service is always good. What more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm and friendlyurbancharmDined on 5/16/2013We were greeted warmly and served well, in spite of our many changes of people at our table. Delicious food. Comfortable in every way; everyone around us clearly having a great time. The artwork is enchanting; love the chandelier and the classic jolly tiger lit up sign. A perfect venue to hear the girls rock and soothe the soul. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Good Find!SBFoodieVIPDined on 4/22/2013We had a great dinner at Roy. The food was fresh, tasty, and well priced. The drinks are very good, as well! The service was great, and we all agreed we were glad to have gone there for the evening.Special Features:
- This was our second dinnerAasfcnDined on 4/20/2013This was our second dinner at Roy. We will definitely return. We have had great service and great food. It was fun to listen to the music as well.Special Features:
- Great spot for a music review-OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Great spot for a music review- the kids LOVED being Included at a grow up restaurant - as performers. As always the food is great! but it would be nice If there was a lower priced pasta & edamame Dish for kids. (No sauce, a little protein and some carrots) Thanks for the fabulous halibut, steak and Notable side dishes, Roy, and for the great entertainment!Special Features:
- Love the ChickenOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/16/2013I took my 99 year old mother to Roy after a movie. She usually doesn't eat much when we go out but she LOVED the chicken marsala because she ate everything on her plate. No complaints about the restaurant other than the service was unusually slow that night. Otherwise it is top notch. My girlfriend also loves the chicken marsala (says she craves it sometimes).Special Features:
- Food was good, waitress wasGaryVIPDined on 2/11/2013Food was good, waitress was gorgeous, but the place was empty. Even lots of art on the walls didn't compensate for the spartan decor.