Rox City Grill
100 W. Main St.
Saint Charles, IL 60174Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rox City Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.roxcitygrill.com/
- Phone: 6308455800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Serving lunch May through December; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Lounge menu nightly with entertainment Thursday through Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Hassan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Hotel Baker offers four different banquet venues to cater to any event! The Rainbow Room is a popular destination for wedding celebrations with its unique lit dance floor. It handles up to 175 guests. The Waterfront, with its ample view of the Fox River can handle up to 100 guests and has audio visual capability to accommodate any business gathering. Both these rooms open out to a lovely outdoor patio right on the river and adjacent to our rose garden, providing an unique, elegant setting to any occasion. Two other spaces, the Saint Charles Room, audio visual equipped, and the Triple Crown Room offer smaller private options for your convenience. Whatever the occasion, the staff of Hotel Baker is ready to fulfill your needs. For more information go to the website at www.hotelbaker.com and even watch a fun, informative video!
- Private Party Contact: Liz Weber 6308455834
- Entertainment: The Rox City Lounge, an elegant wine and martini bar adjacent to the restaurant, offers live music every Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Every Thursday is 'Girls Night Out' with music by local artists featuring $6 martinis; 8PM to Midnight. Other evenings highlight local artists with both original material and covers of great piano, blues and jazz; 8PM to Midnight.
A word from Rox City Grill
Set in a modern yet cozy ambiance and featuring a contemporary menu steeped in the flavors of the season, Rox City Grill provides you the true downtown experience. The goal is to offer guests an exceptional yet affordable dining option in an unassuming atmosphere for the everyday diner while being sophisticated enough to deliver unforgettable moments on special occasions. Chef de Cusine David Hassan, a veteran of kitchens such as Hotel Nikko and The Four Seasons, crafts an exceptional menu that incorporates vivid, pristine flavors. Fresh ingredients and precise cooking technique create a seamless interplay of flavors and textures. Steaks, chops and seafood are highlighted along with wonderful salads and decadent desserts. In the dining room, friendly, professional servers introduce you to a impecable wine list. Chef Hassan pursues the making of a modern urban eatery. Come be the judge of the results!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Rox City Grill - Best Restaurants in St. Charles ›
Rox City Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (17)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)notable wine list (6)good for groups (6)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Quiet with Good FoodewallDined on 9/12/2014When I read all of the reviews and judging by the name, I expected the restaurant to be more trendy. We walked in and the ambiance was very quiet, romantic, and enjoyable. Service was good and food was good. Overall, was hoping for a bit more energy but good experience otherwise.Special Features:
- Delightful nightDLopDined on 9/11/2014Rox City is a great place for a quiet romantic night out with fantastic food.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner at Rox cityCecilDined on 9/6/2014I think it's a great value for the area as they include sides with their entrees no xtra charge as with a traditional steak houses like a Gibsons or Ruth Chris. The steaks were cooked as we requested and the service was quick and responsive. Joe the bartender makes fantastic martini's. Now sometimes families dine here so it's not romantic and can be loud at times just depends on the evening. The area that would be nice to include some additional items to the menu with more steak choices also the deserts menu is a bit lacking. Over all we would return but, not often due the repeated menu and our meal which was very good over $100 with one cocktail each.
- Will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful service from Lauen the 2x we have dined there. Once for lunch once for dinner. Food is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOneWhoFrequentlyDinesOutDined on 8/28/2014This is my second trip to Rox Grill. The first time was with a coupon, which is a very good way to try out new restaurants. I absolutely loved it and promised myself to go back. This time I visited without a coupon and it was very reasonable in spite of paying the full price. The lunch menu is very tasty and creative. I haven't tried the dinner menu yet but plan to in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expected!foodandwineloverDined on 8/23/2014We decided to try this place for my husband's birthday because we found a Groupon. What a great find! Food and service were both great! It's a small place but we actually liked that. If nothing else have the doughnut holes with 3 sauces!!! It's the most amazing thing I've ever eaten!! Everything was very large portions! Perfect for sharing!!!Special Features:
- PLEASANTLY SURPRISEDOneWhoFrequentlyDinesOutDined on 8/13/2014Our small group of ladies coming from different directions, were seeking a spot that would be midway for all. St Charles or Geneva seemed to fit. Being a member of Restaurant.com, I purchased a discount coupon for Rox City Grill. What a nice way to try out a new eating place. I was pleasantly surprised at the menu, ambiance, service and presentation of the food. What a great meeting place! I plan to go back again and again, even without a discount, the prices are reasonable, too.Special Features:
- Great lunchbbeatDined on 8/6/2014We went for lunch so I can only speak to that. The restaurant is in the historic Hotel Baker. It is a small, quiet space perfect for romantic as well as business lunches. The menu had so many good choices it was hard to decide. The lobster bisque was delicious as well as the hummus. Although I would have preferred less olive oil with the hummus. The Asian salad and beef Cobb salad were also delicious and very large. The beef was extremely tender. Request the bread and butter. It is delicious and served warm. The service was a little slow, especially since the restaurant was not busy. But we definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerweddedblissDined on 8/2/2014We got married at Hotel Baker 2 years ago and love to return each year to relive the memory. The food at Rox City Grill is outstanding, and really makes for a special occasion. The filet never disappoints, the seafood is fantastic, and everything is always presented beautifully, making us feel really special. We will continue the tradition!Special Features:
- Food great, service inexperiencenicalicouDined on 8/1/2014Food was very good, however our waiter, seemed very inexperienced. When the caeser salad was delivered, no request as to fresh ground pepper, and in fact no pepper on the table. Then later in the dinner, he brought the dessert menu while we were still eating our main course. Not sure if he thought this was efficient, or they wanted us out quick. Just unpolished.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014The cucumber salad presentation was beautiful but was soaked in salad dressing. Pork tenderloin was overlooked and dry. The pasta served with the pork was good as was the sauce. Husbands chicken was also dry in parts. The waiter came by just often enough and was very nice. Decor could be refreshed. It was all just ok. Not bad but there are better places to go for the same money.
- Rox City Grill has good serviceDiningDiva617Dined on 7/24/2014The waiter was very accommodating and pleasant. The table was positioned so we could see the full panoramic view of the room. We had a Groupon voucher which didn't distress him at all. The food was not so good. The appetizer was not appetizing. Yuck! The remainder of the dinner boasted no surprises and did not make us want to come back. Very stingy with the servings. The desert was okay.Special Features:
- Rox City GrillOutWestDinerDined on 7/22/2014We were first time visitors and everything was great. Hank our server was so prompt and friendly. He was there when we wanted him, but didn't hover. The tortilla soup was out-of-this-world. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Intimate dining experiencespicysicilianDined on 7/1/2014Great ambiance, food (Caesar Salad, Ribeye Steak, Smashed Potatoes & Volcano dessert) & service. Staff is all very friendly. If you come here with a Groupon, do NOT wait until the last day unless you don't mind crowds!! Also, I believe dinner isn't served on Sundays & Mondays so take note of that too! Even though it was crowded, we only had a short wait inside the lounge where we sat a high table & enjoyed a drink. We were pleasantly surprised by how good the food is here!Special Features:
- Elegance Defined in FoodPugnaciousVIPDined on 7/1/2014This was our first time a Rox City Grill, but it won't be our last. Set inside a boutique hotel, this restaurant was jumping with patrons and even with a reservation, we waited 1/2 hour. Normally, that wouldn't be a good start but the bar staff is superb and know how to make a good cocktail. Our dinner was not without delay either, but what truly defines an establishment is the courtesy and professionalism of the staff combined with a meal that is worth your wait. The scallop plate was served with huge scallop gems seared perfectly and my 20oz Ribeye (bone in) was like a picture out of Allen Brothers. Paired with red mashed potatoes and sauteed burgundy mushrooms, this was a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014Wonderful service, amazing food... Small and delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out with my wifeGoodnessDined on 6/27/2014Great wine and the food was very fresh. I had the skewer it was a tasty explosion of goodness. A verity of people, dressed up and some just casual like me which made it very comfortable. I'm just a regular joe so that's important to me. Hank waited on us and he was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - questionable serviceBrunchedVIPDined on 6/26/2014The food was great! The Steak sandwich and the Chicago Club Salad were outstanding, once we got seated, got our drinks and ordered it too longer than what would be expected. Especially since this place is rather small.Special Features:
- Great service, OK foodPerlDined on 6/24/2014I wanted to give this 5 stars but could not. Neat looking place in a classic old hotel. Great charm. Food was just OK. Ordered medium rare NY strip. Came out closer to well. Others had comments that their food was fine, nothing really note worthy. People super nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Meal In A Noisy RoomDiverDukeVIPDined on 6/21/2014The four of us enjoyed our dinner on a recent Saturday evening. I started with the lobster bisque and found it to be tasty but unremarkable. The salads my dining partners chose were attractive and they enjoyed them. Two of us selected the pork entree. The meat was tender and the sauce was good but was somewhat overpowered by the cherries it contained. The pasta stuffed with squash was the best part of the dish. One of us selected the filet and I had the strip steak. Both dishes were done nicely and the crushed yukon gold potato accompaniment was delicious. The room was crowded and the noise level was quite high.
- A great family dining experience!CT1989Dined on 6/19/2014Service was excellent as usual. Food was very good as well. I would recommend the steaks and the fish specials the most. A terrific choice for special occasions or a casual dinner w/ family. Staff and Management were attentive, helpful with choices, and very friendly. We have been here several times and WILL be back again very soon!Special Features:
- Should it be right the first time?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014We were put at a table where the air conditioning poured down non stop. We decided not to be asked to more. These tables for 2 are positioned so that one person stares at a wall. My wife ordered the shrimp cocktail, she has had this before. However this time the shrimp was chewy and stringy. We told the waiter but said not to mention it. I ordered the shish kabob, unfortunately the chunks of steak on the kabob were next to raw, I asked if they ask the customer how'd they like it, they didn't, they usually just make medium. I said they could mention this. They brought me 2 more chunks which I packaged to take home. That was nice of them but wouldn't it be better to get it done right the first time? I still gave 4 stars as I like going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Evening!DiNerDined on 5/30/2014We were celebrating my son's graduation and needed a place half-way between relatives. We were married at The Hotel Baker, so this seemed like a perfect place. Friends who are hard core foodies also attended, and we were all impressed. I had the pork tenderloin, which melted was tender and flavorful. Our friends couldn't stop raving about the scallops, which she said were cooked to perfection. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Thanks for making our celebration so perfect. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak of my lifeBmarieDined on 5/29/2014I found this little hidden gem on groupon because I was looking for a deal for my boyfriends birthday. It had outstanding ratings and after some browsing on Rox's website I decided that it would be perfect, and it definitely was! Best steak that I have ever tasted and chicken Caesar salad as well. Then menu selection is amazing and the ambiance is what made the evening special. I'm absolutely going back in the near future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 323 reviews are from the Rox City Grill reviews archive.
- Girls night outTeanDined on 5/22/2014Girls night out . Music, good food. Nice people location is downtown in a historical building. Hotel Baker. This place has charm. Right on the fox river .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findmudslideDined on 5/15/2014Never ate at the Rox before, will be going back soon.Special Features:
- Outstanding lunchSandyLeeVIPDined on 5/15/2014What a great time we had!!!! Best chicken tortilla soup, outstanding salad with filet mignon and melt in your mouth dessert! (Warm doughnut holes with three different sauces) ask for Hank to wait on you. He is very knowledgeable and knows what it means to be s great server! Wine (Pinot noir) was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Rox city grilRoxTrebesDined on 5/10/2014Good food and service. Too small for live music. Too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014My wife and I have had dinner here twice over the last two years. Both times the food and service were excellent! Make sure to make reservations for the weekend as it's a smaller venue and gets busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Worthwhile Dinner Out!davisflightDined on 5/3/2014One of the best dinners I've had at a restaurant in quite a while. My husband and I joined another couple for dinner. I had one of the specials, halibut with spring rolls and potatoes. Absolutely delicious, full of flavor. Seasoned well, not too salty either... one of my biggest complaints for most restaurants.The portion size was a bit more than I can eat. I did not order an appetizer or dessert. I would definitely recommend Rox City Grill to friends and neighbors and I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Perfect Date night for 2Dsn3kDined on 5/2/2014Private booth, excellent food, very friendly staff = exactly what we needed to recharge after a busy week. From the introduction of tasty breads to the delectable desserts, not a single negative thought or criticism!!Special Features:
- Hidden Treasure in St. CharlesSlyGuyDined on 4/26/2014Located in the Hotel Baker on the Fox River in St Charles IL, this quaint, jazz themed dining room made for a wonderful dining experience. The wait staff was friendly and informative, The food was awesome and the Flight of Fancy Dessert and the list of after dinner drinks topped off the awesome experience. We will definitely return. I call this a hidden Gem because upon entering the Hotel Baker it wasn't obvious where the dining room was. Being tucked back off to the left really made walking in seem like a "discovery".Special Features:
- Great night out.QueGuyDined on 4/12/2014Overall this was great dining experience. We started with the lobster bisque and the pommes frites with truffle oil. Both were good, but were not served at the same time. We then ordered a filet mignon and the sword fish oscar. The filet was cooked a perfect medium rare with a nice flavorful char, but a little under seasoned. The swordfish would've been delicious on its own but the oscar topping put it over the top!!! The service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:
- Great experienceZakjDined on 3/26/2014This was our first time at Rox City Grill and it was amazing! The food was great and the service was even better! If you're ready to spend a few extra bucks on a food meal, this is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere and good foodGeorgeOfJungleDined on 3/8/2014Cozy historic hotel with delicious food. Loved it and will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner at Rox cityCecilDined on 3/8/2014We had dinner Sat. Night. We had never been here for dinner. Food was very good and service by Jessica was outstanding. We got there early for our reservation as this is a very cozy ambiance and there was a large group of 8 when we arrived and by the time we left an 1-1/2 hours later the place was very full with another large table. We enjoyed our steaks which sides are included. The service was great. My only complaint would be we got the dessert assortment to take home and that was not as good as the rest of the meal when we ate it later that evening. We would returned. Ours was a pricy meal but, still worth it.Special Features:
- A wonderful eveningchrislDined on 3/5/2014The service and ambience were very good but the chef did an outstanding job on the meals in display and flavors. Plus the bartender did an amazing job on the margarita too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all around!DEP45Dined on 3/1/2014Rox City Grill does everything right! Great food, service, drinks and entertainment. Rox has a varied menu. We started the night with Lobster tacos and shrimp cocktail, followed by lobster bisque. For dinner my wife had a perfectly prepared filet. I had one of the night's specials: Swordfish Oscar. Everything was delicious. Our waitress was incredibly attentive, making a point to make our anniversary celebration special. After dinner we moved to the attached piano bar, which has lively ambience, great mix of people, and is always a lot of fun. Of particular note: the bartenders that work in the bar are top notch. They are friendly, provide great service, and pour one of the best martini's I've ever had. We highly recommend Rox City Grill.Special Features:
- Great short ribs and servicembinstcharlesVIPDined on 2/22/2014Have been here many times, but the service is the best ever. My wife had the short ribs and they were fabulous! Always good food in a very nice setting. Saturday night was very packed in both the bar and the restaurant. Be sure to make a reservation.
- baker39yrsagoBaker39yrsagoDined on 2/8/2014We were celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary and had a great time It brought back a lot of good memories of our reception in the Trophy Room and Rainbow Room! In addition to above reviews, we appreciated being able to use a coupon that was quite old and not good on Saturday nights. However, it was accepted with no problems and amounted to a nice savings. We will definitely be back before our next anniversary and keep up the good work. The Baker Hotel is still a beautiful and unique place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.