Rowland Fine Dining
2132 West Main Street
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rowland Fine Dining
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rowlandfinedining.com/
- Phone: (804) 257-9885
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Rowland Fine Dining
Bruce and Virginia Rowland have created a menu that has an eclectic mix of Southern, Asian, Mediterranean and Provence influences, using fresh seasonal ingredients and their creative flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Rowland Fine Dining - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Rowland Fine Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (15)romantic (11)great for outdoor dining (7)vibrant bar scene (3)good for groups (3)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Richmond favorite & open on MondaysDianaVIPDined on 11/10/2014With it's menu changing to accommodate the seasons and what is fresh and local, Rowland is always a great place to dine. Don't forget to order the bananas Foster for dessert. They are delicious.Special Features:
- Bruce always at his bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Wonderful food. Bruce Rowland puts his soul into the cooking and menu. We came with friends-- first time for them.They loved it too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spotty ServiceRVAWmVIPDined on 10/26/2014Returning after many delightful previous visits, arrived early on Sunday evening not realizing Restaurant Week ongoing. Despite seating in almost empty room (by end of meal room was packed) the server seemed not to be tuned into available menu & drinks. (Out of Jack Daniels???, really) Each course was served by different individual and each unaware of who order what (a real pet peeve of mine). Overall time of meal was shall we say leisurely. With special predesigned, limited menu, despite busy room, this could improve. We will return and hope previous experiences return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SpecialCoopDined on 10/24/2014We love Rowland. It's our "go to" regardless of the occasion. The owners put their heart and soul into insuring that every dining experience for is memorable. By the way, did I mention that the food is great too?! Try it & you too will become a fan...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save your money go elsewhere.GreggnMidloDined on 10/24/20141 1/2 hours after we arrived, (we had a reservation), still not served. Lot's of hype but no performance. Couldn't tell you what the food was like we never even got our appetizers. Guess you have to live in the neighborhood to get served. Not worth the hassle, Richmond has way too many other good restaruants try.
- CarrieDined on 10/23/2014Great menu for restaurant week - enjoyed our meal immensely. Popular spot where they handled us with ease - even when we knew they were slammed :-)Special Features:
- HilovinglifeDined on 10/23/2014Everything was yummy! Our favorite was the prawns!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014We were a party of 6. We received great service and the food was delicious. It was a memorable meal! Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReReDined on 10/22/2014Offered a most unusual varied menu for Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week dinnerGourmetdinerDined on 10/21/2014Considering it was Restaurant Week, Rowland's had a varied selection. The food was quite good, unlike some venues during this week. It was extremely noisy. The wait person was too eager to turn our table. Plates were rapidly cleared before all were finished eating. Checks were brought before we asked and while we were still eating dessert. Not what I expect from an upscale restaurant, even if it is Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night Out!RVAWineSnobDined on 10/20/2014We chose Rowland's for Richmond Restaurant week as something new and different. We had a reservation for 7:30 and ended up being seated around 7:50. Waiting was not a problem as the attentive bartender gave some suggestions from their unique cocktail list. Their spin on an Old Fashioned was quite good, muddled fresh ginger root and rosemary...My girlfriend had a cucumber gin martini. FOOD - The bread is out of this world. Each offered course had an option to try a "Fall" themed item. We LOVED the Autumn Squash Lasagna (sounds weird...but you must try it) and the Pumpkin Cheesecake. SERVICE - was OK. Place was busy and we could tell our waitress was not in the best of moods. ATMOSPHERE - dark, romantic, small size feels exclusiveSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014The Pecan crusted brook trout was delicious. The wine list is very good. A very pleasant evening except that it was quite warm in the restaurant until the chef came out and opened a door.Special Features:
- Thought it closed, glad it didn'tfoodhobbyistVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had been to Rowland before on one of our occasional trips to Richmond and some months ago drove by and it appeared to be closed. A recent web search indicated otherwise, so we went. Great choice. Eclectic menu was excellent from the house made roast chicken stuffed ravioli (a special for the evening which they provided in an appetizer portion upon request), through pork entrees (a schnitzel added to their vegetarian offering and a super tender chop) accompanied by savory sides, to a very well prepared Bananas Foster dessert. What a great meal. Nice selection of wines also. We'll return and we highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall very nice placeDeathbrokerDined on 9/22/2014The interior has a more neighborhood and eclectic feel than a fine dining feel. The service was spot on, the chop was moist and the steak was cooked to perfection as medium well. The wine list leaves a lot to be desired and almost seemed to be a forgotten part of the planned dinning experience. But the service and the food more than made up for the weak wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DinnerEverydayJoeDined on 9/6/2014Wanted to take my wife out to a nice restaurant for a romantic dinner for two. The food and wine were excellent, the service terrific. Definitely coming back.Special Features:
- BirthdayBuddyVIPDined on 9/4/2014I chose this restaurant for my birthday and was not disappointed. Fish is my favorite and in addition to the menu they had 2 fish specials. The butter bean cake appetizer is always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ok poor ambiencezaff27Dined on 8/16/2014seating,with a hard back chair on the main aisle facing the person on the setee.Waiter got my steak order wrong, Very rare instead of medium rare. Couple at table next to us very loud after spending some time at bar before. Very difficult to have a quiet eveningSpecial Features:
- The following 167 reviews are from the Rowland Fine Dining reviews archive.
- nice evening then unbearably noisyMskBvkDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had enjoyed a lovely evening with nice service and entree selections. We had planned to stay for dessert, coffee and after dinner drinks. However, the loud jazz came on and we had to leave. Unbearable. Would probably not return due to this one factor alone. Why pay for a headache?
- Wonderful EveningRichmondDanDined on 7/22/2014We ate at Rowlands on a Tuesday night, our wedding anniversary. There were only 2 waitstaff on duty, but never did we feel shorted on attention or service. Even though they were busy, they were friendly and engaging and knowledgeable about the food. And the food! It was really delicious. My wife had the ribeye (with yucca gnocchi!) and I had the flounder (with pico de gallo!) We would never have thought of those combinations, but they were really superb. And the hors d'oeuvres of chorizo ravioli with calamata olives...wow! We are going to return soon, without waiting for a special occasion, and will be telling our friends how much we enjoyed it. Try it, you'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rowland dining was fine again!PKinVADined on 6/17/2014Have frequently enjoyed meals here - often take visitors from out of town since we have never been disappointed by either our meal or the atmosphere. The wine list is not extensive - but selections are quite nice. Always a good mix of meat/fish/vegetarian dishes. In this most recent visit some highlights were the cream of asparagus soup and a crabmeat-based ravioli. Not sure of what the bar scene or late night situation is - we tend to eat out middle of week and always before 9!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect dinnerDianaVIPDined on 6/16/2014Many restaurants in The Fan are closed on Monday nights. Thank goodness Rowland Fine Dining is open and on this particular Monday night at 6pm it was surprisingly not busy. I started with a gin gimlet perfectly prepared with fresh lime juice. My rock fish entree sat on a delicious carrot puree and featured 2 perfectly cooked, large shrimp. The flavors were just wonderful. My friend chose the eggplant parmesan, that really focused on the eggplant rather than on tons of cheese and sauce. We scraped both of our plates clean. With food and service this special, every table at Rowland should be filled on Monday night or any night.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceDottieDined on 5/29/2014Rowland is a hidden gem in the fan neighborhood that consistently has earned an excellent reputation. The service was attentive but not overdone and the food was divine. We had the rockfish and while not a large serving it was satisfying and proportioned perfectly. Would definitely return to this establishment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/28/2014This was our second visit but surely not our last This is a great place to dine service was excellent as was the food and drinks. We ordered a cocktail a starter an entrée and dessert all of which was prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedRVAdinerDined on 5/10/2014This was our third visit to Rowland because we have had great experiences in the past. We had a 730 reservation on a Sat night and arrived at 725. We were told our table was being cleared. Long story short, many excuses later, to include that those who had arrived LATE for their reservation were seated ahead of us, we were seated at 845. To his credit, the mgr was apologetic and gave us our first round of drinks. When we ordered dinner, 2 in our party ordered the steak from the regular menu. The waitress returned and said they were out of steak so pork chops were ordered. Once the food finally arrived one of the chops was BLOOD red and raw. We said it was unsafe to eat and it was sent back. It was returned after obviously being microwaved.Special Features:
- Rushed serviceRobinDined on 4/26/2014I went during restaurant week which I know can be busy but the 2 servers we interacted with both rushed us and when we asked for more bread very curtly told us no. The food was excellent but the rushed, distracted and sometimes abrupt service took a lot away from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very worth a repeat visit!ClintVIPDined on 4/25/2014Elise was our server during our (first) visit to Rowland's. She and others provided stellar service - much more attentive that expected. Our visit occurred during Restaurant Week and so we had a fixed-price menu from which to choose. My wife and I each chose different menu items to broaden our exposure to Rowland's menu, and each choice was exceptionally well prepared and professionally presented. e try to visit a different local restaurant each week. Rowland's was a very pleasant experience for us, and one which will be repeated more often.Special Features:
- DeliciousAnnieDined on 4/23/2014We tried Rowland's for the first time during restaurant week. Every dish we had from start to finish was delectable. I was delighted to discover that I could eat all but one of the menu offerings. Since I do not eat mammals (only fish and poultry), I sometimes have difficulty finding options at many of the other Richmond fine food restaurants (they seem to like to put piggies and cow parts in every dish). Try the hand made chicken ravioli and squid ink pasta with cod. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerRichmondOmnivoreVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had a good time at Rowland FD on our first visit. Wife had steak, they cheerfully accommodated her request to avoid an ingredient due to allergy. She was very happy with the dish. I had rockfish from the regular menu and it was terrific, and presented elegantly. The drinks were fine, the service was attentive but not overbearing. All in all a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet experiencegourmandDined on 4/3/2014Have not dined here in a few years. Rowland has maintained its reputation for exquisite food and service. Both of us had the rockfish special. Beautifully plated with perfectly matched flavors. Enjoyed my wines by the glass but a larger choice would be nice. As others have said, the tables are a bit too close to each other. I have already made a reservation to return in 2 weeks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDianaVIPDined on 3/29/2014Five family members and I gathered for dinner at Rowland on a busy Saturday night. Despite the restaurant being full to capacity, we received attentive, cheerful service and a delicious dinner. All of my family members were from out of town and not familiar with Richmond's small neighborhood restaurants. As I had dined at Rowland several times, I knew they would love it and they did. We all chose something different from the gigantic pecan crusted pork chop, to the fish special with grits spinach and yummy sauce, to small and medium plates of salads and calamari and everyone raved about his/her dinner. We finished with Rowland's hallmark Bananas Foster served in the caramelized cookie (a must) and chocolate chess pie... happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningspeck3Dined on 3/29/2014Really enjoyed our evening. Great food (lovely lamb shank and fabulous rock fish), great service, too. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Food was excellent as wasSeniorFoodiesVIPDined on 3/29/2014Food was excellent as was the service! This was our first visit, but definitely not the last! We were a group of seven with a theater deadline, and our waiter was very accommodating! There were so many tempting menu options, we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- It was okCDDFVIPDined on 3/28/2014I looked for a fun, nice restaurant while visiting Richmond for the Monument 10K. The food was OK, no great. My quinoa crusted eggplant was just ho-hum, the spring rolls were bland. The bread was OUTSTANDING!!! The service was excellent.
- Dinner was Awesome! We wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Dinner was Awesome! We would recommend this restaurant to everyone. Keep in mind it is a small space and you may be sitting right next to another table, so it's not a very romantic experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great!JeffDined on 3/14/2014Such good food on such a consistent basis! We've never been disappointed in all the years that we've been going there. Truly a great restaurant. The menu changes enough to keep things interesting while at the same time keeping a few great favorite items always on the menu. Combined with a great selection of wine at all price points, Rowland is absolutely one of our favorite restaurants!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemLtCarpDined on 3/14/2014When ever we come to Richmond for a day, we always make a reservation at Rowland for dinner. I am shocked this restaurant was not packed on a Friday night. We love the ambiance, creative menu and small neighborhood atmosphere. We have been coming to Rowland since the couple opened 7 years ago. It will always be one of our favorites. I had the special Rockfish and my son had the Lamb Shank. Both were uniquely prepared and delicious. The service was friendly, timely and efficient. I will return again and again to this wonderful "neighborhood Gem"Special Features:
- Good but not greatJo1980VIPDined on 3/7/2014Baked oysters could have used an additional minute or two under the broiler - bread topping was soggy. Side salad was sad and should not have been served - wilted lettuce greens with 1 cherry tomato on the side. However, pork chop entree was excellent - perfectly cooked - that made up for the first two courses.Special Features:
- Consistently good food great winesFoodieDined on 2/22/2014Innovative dishes, fabulous desserts and great attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Best Lamb Shank in Town"DaisyDined on 2/22/2014My husband has lamb shank every chance he gets, and that was his pronouncement of the one served at Rowland's. The Derby Pie is not to be missed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our visitfjs1Dined on 2/15/2014We had an enjoyable dining experience overall. Our waiter was attentive after recognizing we had been seated for 10 minutes without attention. Very knowledgable around the menu. Disappointed a few of the entrees were out for an 8 pm reservation, but the waiter made reasonable suggestions as alternatives. Food was just the right amount, very well prepared and tasted great. Thank you. I would recommend this restaurant as it was our second visit in 12 months and it didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.