Rowland Fine Dining
2132 West Main Street
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Rowland Fine Dining
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rowlandfinedining.com/
- Phone: 8042579885x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Rowland Fine Dining
Bruce and Virginia Rowland have created a menu that has an eclectic mix of Southern, Asian, Mediterranean and Provence influences, using fresh seasonal ingredients and their creative flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rowland Fine Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (9)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014The Pecan crusted brook trout was delicious. The wine list is very good. A very pleasant evening except that it was quite warm in the restaurant until the chef came out and opened a door.Special Features:
- Thought it closed, glad it didn'tfoodhobbyistVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had been to Rowland before on one of our occasional trips to Richmond and some months ago drove by and it appeared to be closed. A recent web search indicated otherwise, so we went. Great choice. Eclectic menu was excellent from the house made roast chicken stuffed ravioli (a special for the evening which they provided in an appetizer portion upon request), through pork entrees (a schnitzel added to their vegetarian offering and a super tender chop) accompanied by savory sides, to a very well prepared Bananas Foster dessert. What a great meal. Nice selection of wines also. We'll return and we highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall very nice placeDeathbrokerDined on 9/22/2014The interior has a more neighborhood and eclectic feel than a fine dining feel. The service was spot on, the chop was moist and the steak was cooked to perfection as medium well. The wine list leaves a lot to be desired and almost seemed to be a forgotten part of the planned dinning experience. But the service and the food more than made up for the weak wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DinnerEverydayJoeDined on 9/6/2014Wanted to take my wife out to a nice restaurant for a romantic dinner for two. The food and wine were excellent, the service terrific. Definitely coming back.Special Features:
- BirthdayBuddyVIPDined on 9/4/2014I chose this restaurant for my birthday and was not disappointed. Fish is my favorite and in addition to the menu they had 2 fish specials. The butter bean cake appetizer is always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ok poor ambiencezaff27Dined on 8/16/2014seating,with a hard back chair on the main aisle facing the person on the setee.Waiter got my steak order wrong, Very rare instead of medium rare. Couple at table next to us very loud after spending some time at bar before. Very difficult to have a quiet eveningSpecial Features:
- nice evening then unbearably noisyMskBvkDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I had enjoyed a lovely evening with nice service and entree selections. We had planned to stay for dessert, coffee and after dinner drinks. However, the loud jazz came on and we had to leave. Unbearable. Would probably not return due to this one factor alone. Why pay for a headache?
- Wonderful EveningRichmondDanDined on 7/22/2014We ate at Rowlands on a Tuesday night, our wedding anniversary. There were only 2 waitstaff on duty, but never did we feel shorted on attention or service. Even though they were busy, they were friendly and engaging and knowledgeable about the food. And the food! It was really delicious. My wife had the ribeye (with yucca gnocchi!) and I had the flounder (with pico de gallo!) We would never have thought of those combinations, but they were really superb. And the hors d'oeuvres of chorizo ravioli with calamata olives...wow! We are going to return soon, without waiting for a special occasion, and will be telling our friends how much we enjoyed it. Try it, you'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 165 reviews are from the Rowland Fine Dining reviews archive.
- Rowland dining was fine again!PKinVADined on 6/17/2014Have frequently enjoyed meals here - often take visitors from out of town since we have never been disappointed by either our meal or the atmosphere. The wine list is not extensive - but selections are quite nice. Always a good mix of meat/fish/vegetarian dishes. In this most recent visit some highlights were the cream of asparagus soup and a crabmeat-based ravioli. Not sure of what the bar scene or late night situation is - we tend to eat out middle of week and always before 9!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect dinnerDianaVIPDined on 6/16/2014Many restaurants in The Fan are closed on Monday nights. Thank goodness Rowland Fine Dining is open and on this particular Monday night at 6pm it was surprisingly not busy. I started with a gin gimlet perfectly prepared with fresh lime juice. My rock fish entree sat on a delicious carrot puree and featured 2 perfectly cooked, large shrimp. The flavors were just wonderful. My friend chose the eggplant parmesan, that really focused on the eggplant rather than on tons of cheese and sauce. We scraped both of our plates clean. With food and service this special, every table at Rowland should be filled on Monday night or any night.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceDottieDined on 5/29/2014Rowland is a hidden gem in the fan neighborhood that consistently has earned an excellent reputation. The service was attentive but not overdone and the food was divine. We had the rockfish and while not a large serving it was satisfying and proportioned perfectly. Would definitely return to this establishment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/28/2014This was our second visit but surely not our last This is a great place to dine service was excellent as was the food and drinks. We ordered a cocktail a starter an entrée and dessert all of which was prepared to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedRVAdinerDined on 5/10/2014This was our third visit to Rowland because we have had great experiences in the past. We had a 730 reservation on a Sat night and arrived at 725. We were told our table was being cleared. Long story short, many excuses later, to include that those who had arrived LATE for their reservation were seated ahead of us, we were seated at 845. To his credit, the mgr was apologetic and gave us our first round of drinks. When we ordered dinner, 2 in our party ordered the steak from the regular menu. The waitress returned and said they were out of steak so pork chops were ordered. Once the food finally arrived one of the chops was BLOOD red and raw. We said it was unsafe to eat and it was sent back. It was returned after obviously being microwaved.Special Features:
- Rushed serviceRobinDined on 4/26/2014I went during restaurant week which I know can be busy but the 2 servers we interacted with both rushed us and when we asked for more bread very curtly told us no. The food was excellent but the rushed, distracted and sometimes abrupt service took a lot away from the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very worth a repeat visit!ClintVIPDined on 4/25/2014Elise was our server during our (first) visit to Rowland's. She and others provided stellar service - much more attentive that expected. Our visit occurred during Restaurant Week and so we had a fixed-price menu from which to choose. My wife and I each chose different menu items to broaden our exposure to Rowland's menu, and each choice was exceptionally well prepared and professionally presented. e try to visit a different local restaurant each week. Rowland's was a very pleasant experience for us, and one which will be repeated more often.Special Features:
- DeliciousAnnieDined on 4/23/2014We tried Rowland's for the first time during restaurant week. Every dish we had from start to finish was delectable. I was delighted to discover that I could eat all but one of the menu offerings. Since I do not eat mammals (only fish and poultry), I sometimes have difficulty finding options at many of the other Richmond fine food restaurants (they seem to like to put piggies and cow parts in every dish). Try the hand made chicken ravioli and squid ink pasta with cod. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerRichmondOmnivoreVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had a good time at Rowland FD on our first visit. Wife had steak, they cheerfully accommodated her request to avoid an ingredient due to allergy. She was very happy with the dish. I had rockfish from the regular menu and it was terrific, and presented elegantly. The drinks were fine, the service was attentive but not overbearing. All in all a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet experiencegourmandDined on 4/3/2014Have not dined here in a few years. Rowland has maintained its reputation for exquisite food and service. Both of us had the rockfish special. Beautifully plated with perfectly matched flavors. Enjoyed my wines by the glass but a larger choice would be nice. As others have said, the tables are a bit too close to each other. I have already made a reservation to return in 2 weeks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDianaVIPDined on 3/29/2014Five family members and I gathered for dinner at Rowland on a busy Saturday night. Despite the restaurant being full to capacity, we received attentive, cheerful service and a delicious dinner. All of my family members were from out of town and not familiar with Richmond's small neighborhood restaurants. As I had dined at Rowland several times, I knew they would love it and they did. We all chose something different from the gigantic pecan crusted pork chop, to the fish special with grits spinach and yummy sauce, to small and medium plates of salads and calamari and everyone raved about his/her dinner. We finished with Rowland's hallmark Bananas Foster served in the caramelized cookie (a must) and chocolate chess pie... happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningspeck3Dined on 3/29/2014Really enjoyed our evening. Great food (lovely lamb shank and fabulous rock fish), great service, too. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Food was excellent as wasSeniorFoodiesVIPDined on 3/29/2014Food was excellent as was the service! This was our first visit, but definitely not the last! We were a group of seven with a theater deadline, and our waiter was very accommodating! There were so many tempting menu options, we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- It was okCDDFVIPDined on 3/28/2014I looked for a fun, nice restaurant while visiting Richmond for the Monument 10K. The food was OK, no great. My quinoa crusted eggplant was just ho-hum, the spring rolls were bland. The bread was OUTSTANDING!!! The service was excellent.
- Dinner was Awesome! We wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Dinner was Awesome! We would recommend this restaurant to everyone. Keep in mind it is a small space and you may be sitting right next to another table, so it's not a very romantic experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great!JeffDined on 3/14/2014Such good food on such a consistent basis! We've never been disappointed in all the years that we've been going there. Truly a great restaurant. The menu changes enough to keep things interesting while at the same time keeping a few great favorite items always on the menu. Combined with a great selection of wine at all price points, Rowland is absolutely one of our favorite restaurants!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemLtCarpDined on 3/14/2014When ever we come to Richmond for a day, we always make a reservation at Rowland for dinner. I am shocked this restaurant was not packed on a Friday night. We love the ambiance, creative menu and small neighborhood atmosphere. We have been coming to Rowland since the couple opened 7 years ago. It will always be one of our favorites. I had the special Rockfish and my son had the Lamb Shank. Both were uniquely prepared and delicious. The service was friendly, timely and efficient. I will return again and again to this wonderful "neighborhood Gem"Special Features:
- Good but not greatJo1980VIPDined on 3/7/2014Baked oysters could have used an additional minute or two under the broiler - bread topping was soggy. Side salad was sad and should not have been served - wilted lettuce greens with 1 cherry tomato on the side. However, pork chop entree was excellent - perfectly cooked - that made up for the first two courses.Special Features:
- Consistently good food great winesFoodieDined on 2/22/2014Innovative dishes, fabulous desserts and great attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Best Lamb Shank in Town"DaisyDined on 2/22/2014My husband has lamb shank every chance he gets, and that was his pronouncement of the one served at Rowland's. The Derby Pie is not to be missed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our visitfjs1Dined on 2/15/2014We had an enjoyable dining experience overall. Our waiter was attentive after recognizing we had been seated for 10 minutes without attention. Very knowledgable around the menu. Disappointed a few of the entrees were out for an 8 pm reservation, but the waiter made reasonable suggestions as alternatives. Food was just the right amount, very well prepared and tasted great. Thank you. I would recommend this restaurant as it was our second visit in 12 months and it didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Before Performance!RVAFineFoodsDined on 2/15/2014Dinner was delicious, wine selections by the glass offer good variety. Rowland find dining is a small restaurant. The tables are necessarily tight and often getting in and out of the table without disturbing neighboring diners is a challenge even for small people. We were seated near the kitchen, a relatively quiet table and did experience a good deal of kitchen smells. The food and value are what count most and on this criteria, Rowland is a winner!Special Features:
- I realize this was Valentine'sNM4meDined on 2/14/2014I realize this was Valentine's Day, but their fixed price dinner was underwhelming and overpriced to say the least. I ordered the duck, assuming it would be slices of duck breast. Instead it was a wing and thigh .............loaded with fat. Although it was tasty, there were probably a half-dozen small pieces of meat. My wife ordered prime rib ...........it was a ribeye steak. This was my first ....and probably last visit.
- Girls night outRVAdiningDined on 1/31/2014Some friends of mine wanted to go out for a girls night out I immediately thought of Rowland's and thought it would be the perfect spot. Well, I was wrong. The service was terrible. After getting our drink order we literally sat for over an hour and half before our server came back to take our order or even tell us about the specials . It was truly unbelievable. We never even got bread until our dinner order was taken. Never asked if we would like an appitizer- nothing other than a drink, she never even came to check on us. Finally we got out dinner and our server was giving everyone the wrong plate of food. The food was amazing- as always! The service needs a lot of improvement.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Great dinner. Very reasonable prices for excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty SelectionswbedDined on 1/25/2014Pleasant décor and music, was easy to have conversation with meal. Excellent service. Posted menu has variety but not many selections; good specials for the evening completed variety. Baked oysters were a good appetizer, interesting salads but a house salad was included with entrees and that seemed redundant. Lamb special was delicious. Quinoa Eggplant Parmesan not as good as posted comments indicated. Close street parking was available but would like to know from website if parking is available in the back or elsewhere. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemElieDined on 1/24/2014Oh, how I wish I lived in this neighborhood! First of all, there is a real neighborhood feel at the bar. Great cozy place to just enjoy a lovely cocktail or glass of good wine with friends. The cuisine is first rate. Warm homemade bread with garlic olive oil. Beautiful blackened cod not spicy at all but with a great flavored sauce with vegetables. Luscious lamb shank. This kitchen is outstanding. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Always a DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2014This is our fourth time dining at Rowland's, and we always have fantastic food there. Virginia's homemade bread, the delicious salad dressings, the creative entrees, the fantastic bananas foster keep calling us back.Special Features:
- Excellent 1st visitRtmtDined on 1/4/2014We received a gift card over the holiday and went for a date night on the first Saturday of the new year. We were early diners and definitely did not need a reservation for 5:30, but the restaurant did pick up over the next hour. Server was excellent. Food interesting and delicious! We would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinner.DaveDined on 12/31/2013Great service. Very good music on the sound system. Never had a bad or even mediocre meal there. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining experienceluv2dineDined on 12/27/2013The restaurant is relaxing and the food is excellent. The dishes are unique. Our original wine request (Ripasso) was out of stock but the waiter's suggestion turned out to be excellent. Prices are reasonable as was our bill. Our waiter (Tony) was excellent!Special Features:
- Christmas Eve DelightCindyDined on 12/24/2013This was our first visit and we will definitely be back. Rowland's is an enchanting neighborhood restaurant with an interesting menu. We were there for Christmas Eve so it was crowded! But we were seated on time (we had reservations, thankfully). The service was bit slow to start but the waiters were enthusiastic and we weren't in a hurry, so it didn't detract from our evening. It is a well rounded menu of interesting foods. Each of ordered something different and we sampled from everyone's plate. The food was delicious. We will be back!Special Features: