Route 7 Grill
999 Main Street (Rt 7)
Great Barrington, MA 01230Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Route 7 Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://route7grill.com/
- Phone: (413) 528-3235
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch on Saturday noon-3pm
Brunch on Sunday 11am-3pm
Dinner 6 nights: (closed tuesday)
Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday:
5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday:
5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Christophe Jalbert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We’ve been lauded as one of the best Farm-to-Table restaurants in the country – this time let us bring it all to your table or join us here for a great event on our property!
- Private Party Facilities: We have a separate private dining room for up to 50 people and an ample outdoor area where we've hosting weddings, rehearsals, big birthdays and many other beautiful events.
- Private Party Contact: Lester Blumenthal (413) 528-3235 x
A word from Route 7 Grill
We at Route 7 Grill are proud to be providing fresh, local food to our Berkshire neighbors and friends. All of our meats are naturally raised from local farms or small family farms. We hope that our close relationship with these farmers have some positive effect in preserving local farming traditions. Everything we serve, including stocks, soups, dressings & desserts are made here from scratch. Our philosophy is inspired by Berkshire Grown, as well as the Slow Food movement. The restaurant, nestled in the Housatonic river valley of the Southern Berkshires offers a full service dining room and full bar with an outdoor patio as well as beautiful outdoor facilities for Pig Roasts & Special Parties. We’re located on historic Route 7 south of Great Barrington in the shadow of June Mountain.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Route 7 Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Dinner reviewDisappointedDined on 11/1/2014I haven't been to the Route 7 grill in sometime and I was surprised to see how it changed. I knew when i saw the parking lot empty something must of change as it was always crowded. I was not happy with the limited menu and not being able to pick my sides. My steak was good but my husband was not. It was cooked well but very fatty. Sad to say we will not be back and we wish it was like it used to be.Special Features:
- Route 7 GrillMaggieDined on 10/20/2014We came here because of the great buzz about the place. The decor was less than I expected since you enter through the bar with the TV blaring. But once inside it was better. The food was delicious and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more attentive.Special Features:
- Worth The DriveUrbaniteVIPDined on 10/11/2014We went to Route 7 Grill for lunch following the article on the Charcuterie Trail in Berkshire Magazine. After realizing that Waze and Google maps were sending us to the wrong location, we found it. We walked in from the cold drizzle to a warm and welcoming space. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was outstanding, particularly the charcuterie. Because it is all homemade, they had run out of some items. The duck leg confit was the best I've ever tasted. It was also a nice treat to sample some of the local beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty food, terrific meatsRshermanatorDined on 8/20/2014Very good meat well seasoned and prepared, with tasty sides. Casual and informal, very welcoming. Enjoyed my casual meal.Special Features:
- Steak and porkvanessaDined on 8/1/2014We were greeted and seated by the owner. Our server was not very friendly nor attentive but she got the job done. We ordered mushroom soup and the green apple salad. Both were good. Our entrees were 14 oz Angus ribeye and the spit roasted pork. The steak was awesome and eaten slowly and deliberately to be enjoyed. The pork was good but even though I know it is OK, I still cannot get used to eating pork that is still pink. To me, the absolute best thing about eating at Route 7 Grill are the fresh veggies served with the entree. These did not disappoint tonight either. Wonderful beets and carrots, grilled to perfection. For dessert, the most chocolate-y eclair I have ever eaten. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 188 reviews are from the Route 7 Grill reviews archive.
- Cocktails were terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The cocktails tasted only of lime (Cosmopolitan and a Margarita). What restaurant doesn't carry name brands, e.g. Tanguery or Absolute. However, the food was fantastic!!!Special Features:
- hudsondinerDined on 7/12/2014Food was good but expensive. Friennd (58 dollar!) Steak was terribly overcooked, no apology and we had to ask the server if they were going to adjust the check. Given all of the other restauarant choices in the area, I won't be running back the
- DisappointedLolaDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant was much better as a barbeque restaurant. They have added fish and steak and tripled their prices. I wouldn't mind the increase if the food was really good but I'm sorry to say it is not. My roast chicken was bland and my husbands steak had a strange seasoning I couldn't quite place. All in all the food was very disappointing.
- awfulYummyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Place has rave reviews..we went.. Service awful.our waitress ignored us.had to flag down other waiters for utensils, water, butter.had to ASK for bread and she brings it with no butter. Chicken was dry and I cud not easy eat it. Calmari was soggy n limp.waitress did not ask how meal was till we were almost done.owner came by and asked about meal.w re honest and told off the problems. He comped the meal but we still won't go back.better places in town than this. Ended up going to another place for dessert as I was still hungry since I cud not eat the food. Btw...who brings bread without butter or olive oil!!! The worst waitress ever!
- Amazing Steak & meal!NochedesolDined on 7/4/2014You need not search any further for the best steak in Great Barrington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and Delicious!twodoxDined on 7/4/2014The food can hardly get fresher than at the Route 7 Grill. Each dish is simply prepared and has its local place of origin listed on the menu, and everything was delicious. The vegetables were as crisp and tasty as I have ever had, and the entrees were fabulous. The restaurant has a clean rustic feel and even with a large family party at the next table, there was no problem conversing. The staff was warm, friendly and efficient. This will be our regular stop en route to Tanglewood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Was anxious to try this farm to table dining. The quality of food was undeniable and tasty but the price was high, although we chose the best steak on the menu! A more generous serving of vegies would have helped. Had a hand muddled maple old fashioned, delish!! Great spirits list. Our waitress was sweet and informative but a little slow. Enjoyable time but could have had three local rib eyes for the price we paid for one. All in all, good food and atmosphere. Next time we will try the burgers, they looked great!!!
- Roasting chicken lured us invanessaDined on 6/28/2014When we arrived at Route 7 grill, there were chickens roasting outside on a huge barbecue rotisserie. It smelled so good! We were greeted by the person who ultimately turned out to be our server. They recently cut the restaurant in half. There is a new more upscale restaurant in the other half of the building. We like Route 7 Grill and were not sure if this was a good move. Anyway, we both ordered the half roasted chicken. Tasted as good as it smelled outside. It was served with beets, grilled zucchini and delicious mashed potatoes. I say delicious and I ordinarily hate mashed potatoes! For starters, we had cream of mushroom soup and the farm salad, both very tasty. Dessert, spicy Mexican chocolate pot de creme. YUMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a good choiceMissFoodieDined on 6/4/2014Just the best for special celebration or if you just want excellent food and service, all not too noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!R2eatDined on 5/24/2014My wife and hadn't been to the Route 7 Grill for some time, so we were a bit off kilter, after having reviewed various web-sites reviewing the Grill, to find that it had moved emphatically from it's original incarnations as a BBQ centric eatery. But fear not, the place is terrific (even for spoiled New Yorkers). Lester Blumenthal was a great host and came to our table several times to check on our progress --- Two adults of a certain age and their 61/2 year old grandson. Although the chicken, beef rib, and Mahi-Mahi were great, the fresh vegetable were extraordinary. So, well be bck pronto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeYummyDined on 5/11/2014Amazing fresh absolutely yummy !! From the appetizers thru dessert. Great Sunday drive in the country ~ looking for that restaurant that offers something unique. Look no further.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine local-sourced meats and foodnwCTfoodyDined on 5/3/2014Fine local meats and vegetables plus made-on-site rolls were inviting and tasty. We had a fun time eating samplers, steaks and chicken. Local beers too. Will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a perennial favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2014The increasingly expanded charcuterie list at Rte 7 is always a treat -- platters of 3,5, or 7 selections make for a perfect first course or a main course for one. The quality of the ingredients cannot be beat -- locally sourced, beautifully handled, and proudly served by an engaged waitstaff and an owner who really cares what people eat. We'll be back again and again as the menu regularly changes and favorite items come and go, only to be replaced by things that are even more delicious.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere; poor food qualityLoveFoodDined on 4/16/2014The atmosphere was nice and the people seemed friendly. Unfortunately, the food was not good. The beef ribs were over cooked; actually burnt and very fatty. The people were nice but the service was slow; we did not receive refills until approximately 30 minutes after being seated. If the restaurant was busy, it would have seemed a bit reasonable. But there was only 1 other table occupied and 1 person at the bar. Overall, the expectation of a high quality restaurant was not met.
- Excellent foodCaptain49erVIPDined on 4/2/2014At first we were worried. We thought it was a cool idea for the menus and I we liked the restaurant but the menu was limited for main courses. My fiance wanted to try the duck, one of 4 dishes on the menu but they were out of it which was disturbing. However, we both got the steak dish, cooked different ways and were pleasantly surprised. Great presentation and OUTSTANDING food and cooked to exactly what we ordered. Thought the pricing was high for the area but the meal was as good as any steakhouse in Boston. We read about the owner and how the restaurant got started it he has done a tremendous job in our eyes. Our waitress, Stacy, was awesome and even looked like a movie star!! If you get her when you go, you will see what I mean! Enjoy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- OveratedTurngreenVIPDined on 3/14/2014We get the "local, organic and fresh angle" and the menu can be interesting. However, the preparation of the food is very inconsistent. Overcooked steaks repeatedly make for a frustrating dinning experience. If you have children, this is NOT the place for them - there is no kid friendly food except for a burger and fries. Lastly, the service is very slow. When the skiers come in from the mountain, a drink order can take 15 mintues. My family would put up with all this if the price was reasonable - unfortunately, this place is pricey - $$$$. This place could be so much more... very disappointed.
- Disaster AvertedIAMultrapickyDined on 3/1/2014Heard mixed reviews about this casual, riverside grill, but were intrigued about reported menu changes, so forged ahead, early on a Saturday night. We were slightly frazzled from our day, but up for some drinks and food. After being seated and ordering cocktails, we looked around and realized that 2/3 of the patrons were under 12 years old ! Big night for Mom, Dad and kiddies, not all especially quiet or well-behaved. We abandoned our table and headed into the bar, where our experience turned around. The owner pitied our plight, started pouring us a lovely French pinot noir, and in general, treated us like VIPs. My organic burger & his roast duck were exemplary. Turns out the new chef is from Fore Street, Portland (wowza). Good time had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelyHobieDined on 2/28/2014All in all, a lovely evening both times! Second night the fire was not working. Unfortunately, both visits ...the meats were overlooked. The medium rare beef had no pink in the middle, the pork chop was dry,mthe duck breast bordered on tough, the liver was so overlooked one slice was I hardly edible. . Otherwise, the veggie plate was delish and well presented, the salads great. We had a great visit both times. We will be back. Next visit I will remind the waitress to remind the cook to prepare the meat less done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the stone fireplace!Doe60Dined on 2/16/2014After a day of skiing, the fire place was just perfect. The pate' was delicious and the duck was amazing! We would go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- change change changeschopsnhopsDined on 2/16/2014oh well time waits for no man......and apparently route 7 doesn't sit still for past accolades.....sorry to see the bbq focus switch to what's available locally.... too bad, they had a cult following on the ribs......foodies and people loving a good tapas selection of cheeses and cured meats will be happy. The taps are still a hit with the regional brews.Special Features:
- Torquemada of Epicurian delightsBucksterrrDined on 2/15/2014Tantalizing cocktails were served with flair. The smoked chicken wings were harsh without being punishing. The Gnocci with veal were epic. The confit of duck was transformative. I am still dreaming about the choucroute days later. Even the burgers demonstrate how this restaurant stands apart. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- change always not a good thingdebbieDined on 1/18/2014We had reservations. Got a table near main door. Door bangs a lot, cold air, and seated next to noisy kids. Asked hostess if we could change seats. She said she would text the manager. Never heard back on that. Asked waitress about what the hostess said and she looked bewildered. We finally got a table in the other room. Warmer and more quiet. Food took awhile but it was delicious. Our waitress was apologetic and very dutiful.Special Features:
- AwesometrishDined on 12/31/2013I booked Route 7 Grill for New Years Eve dinner for my family and it was beyond great. The owner personally brought over glasses of Champagne for my husband and I as well as checked in throughout the meal. My son raved about his steak, which he NEVER does. Great atmosphere, very cozy. We will definitely be visiting again when we are back in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Naysayers be damnedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2013After reading several diners' reviews about the new menu and chef at Route 7 Grill, we almost cancelled our reservation. So glad we didn't. My family and I enjoyed a lovely meal here before a recent show at The Mahaiwe. The dining room fire place was roaring and the vibe was exactly what we wanted on a chilly winter night in the Berkshires. Charcuterie plate was every bit as good as one I'd had recently at Salumeria Rossi in NYC, Rubiner's Cheese Plate was typically delicious, roasted chicken was tasty and moist, wine was reasonably priced and quite good, and the service was friendly and prompt. My criticism is of the negative reviewers, not the restaurant. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- once again ... another great nighthowieraviDined on 12/26/2013As soon as we walked in we noticed the difference in the dining room. Its been a few months since we were here last. The dining room has been greatly reduced in size. And so has the menu. Once again he knocked it out of the park. First up I asked our waitress what type of tequila they had. Before I could blink an eye the owner was at our table talking tequila with me. With fewer options on the menu we were concerned. We could have ordered the whole menu. Choices were perfect. I had fish! After waiting to come back to enjoy another great steak, I couldn't resist the fish! The fire roared, the staff was attentive and jovial. We'll be back. And I'll keep dreaming of my next meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumnosnowVIPDined on 12/26/2013We were looking for a restaurant with a wide range of choices, would satisfy the appetites of our 20 year old sons,and be gourmet worthy for my wife and I. The Route 7 Grill did it all. The chicken wings appetizer was particularly notable, but all entres were tasty as well.We even were tempted by the desserts! A nice surprise was the extensive selection of whiskies. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment. AfterclaverackDined on 12/21/2013What a disappointment. After reading the reviews I was looking forward to eating here but it was bad. The mushroom terrine had no mushroom taste. A great smoth mousse but there was no flavor orf mushrooms. My wife's duck was overly salty. My steak was not good.. it was on the tough side and the plating was weird. It looked like the meat juices were running all over the plate. I think it was a sauce and not meat juice but it looked gross. Avoid this place
- Although there were not manyCTGBDined on 12/20/2013Although there were not many in the restaurant, the service was extremely poor and inattentive. More importantly the meal was served lukewarm at best. "Sorry your chicken was cold - we'll re-heat it up for you." No thanks.... I could have had a better meal at home, You might think that the proprietor would stop by at our table, especially since the meal had to be returned. Obviously, no concern at all. I would stay as far away from this place as possible. BTW, had been there a few months ago and was unimpressed, but decided to try it again. There'll be no third time
- Charcuterie HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/1/2013Much as I love Route 7's ribs and brisket and other grilled meats, of late I've been taken by the charcuterie boards. A choice of individual items or a board of 3 or 5 items makes a great starter or main course. And the list of what's available changes often. Of note, the little ramekin of warm brandade with toast, the wafer-thin-sliced smoked leg of lamb, the duck leg confit, a great duckbreast prosciutto, and a killer bratwurst. Very nice wait staff, good wines, easy, casual dining with a roaring fire on the hearth in the winter. A place we go back to as often as we can.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal & Service808FoodieDined on 11/28/2013We are from out of town, and will certainly be back for the food!! As unfortunate as it may sound, we had to have our Thanksgiving dinner away from home. However, the turkey was to die for!! Juicy, tender and smokey flavorful!! They did a great job at brightening up our holiday away from home with welcoming service and heart warming delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm, friendly Thanksgivingsuzysmith62VIPDined on 11/28/2013This was a great place for a casual, traditional family Thanksgiving dinner. It was the first time I'd ever had Thanksgiving in a restaurant, but my friends who opt for restaurant holiday meals warned me about the perils. Unlike other places that rush to turnover tables, the Route 7 Grill offered a relaxed alternative. We felt at home 500 miles from our own dining room. Not a complaint from any of the three cooks among us. Everything was delicious - especially the pies! Can't wait to return and try the regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving Buffet 2013BuffyDined on 11/28/2013Our family dined at the Route 7 Grill for our Thanksgiving meal yesterday. It was a wonderful, traditional meal with all the trimmings. It was served buffet style with choices of turkey or ham. Everything was perfectly prepared. The meats had the as hoped for taste of smokiness. A nice surprise was that the root vegetables did as well. Just the right amount. The smoke enhanced the flavors of the meal but did not over-power it. Of the 3 choices for dessert I chose the pecan pie. Warm with whipped cream, it too was delish! Tip included. The fireplace in the dining room is wonderful and adds a coziness to the experience. Great wine and beer selection as well. Looking forward to dining there for dinner in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we thoughtBBQfanDined on 10/19/2013We had not been to Route 7 Grill since they hired their new chef. The food and service were very good, but we were disappointed that it was not still a "BBQ Ribs joint." We went there with that kind of food in mind, but it turned out to be much more upscale and expensive for such a rustic restaurant.Special Features:
- pricey, dissappointingdebbieDined on 10/19/2013We dined there last summer. Very good. We waited almost 50 minutes for food. The menu was too limited. We waited too long for everything. The order was wrong. We ate it anyway, afraid of waiting too long. We a bid on WSBS auction and have 3 or 4 gift cards. We just got them on the last auction. They kindly took our word they were good. The girl said they weren't showing up on their info. Next time she said to have documented proof they came from the auction. Last time we came with some there was no problem. I see there are some on the new radio auction. The prices are crazy. I hate to come back and use my remaining gift cards. Are you going belly up? I so enjoyed route 7 at one time. Maybe next time it will be better. It cannot get worse.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2013The freshness of every meal for our party of 6 at this farm-to-table restaurant was outstanding. Scallops, shrimp, roasted pork, corn chowder, salads, and the very best cheddar bacon cheeseburger you will find were all terrific. The service was helpful, friendly and prompt. Warm decor with a rustic yet modern feel. Large fireplace which I'm sure would be great when fired up in the winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.