Midway up Bald Mountain
Ketchum, ID 83340Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sunvalley.com/things-to-do/dining/
- Phone: (208) 622-2012
- Hours of Operation:
Closed for the season. Will re-open mid December with lunch from 11am-3pm 7 days a week and dinner Friday and Saturday nights.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Continental
- Executive Chef: John Murcko
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wine
A word from Roundhouse
Join us at 7,700 feet, mid-way up Bald Mountain, for a spectacular, unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Roundhouse - Best Restaurants in Ketchum ›
Roundhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
- Unique on-mountain experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/21/2014We go once a year: wouldn't miss it. The original on-mountain day lodge at the original ski resort. Dripping with atmosphere, history, spectacular views. Never disappoints. A huge central stone fireplace, lots of old wood, beautiful black and white photos of Sun Valley's history, white tablecloths, friendly service. The food is very good but not great, and the prices are high, but the quality of the experience can't be beat. Excellent fondue for lunch - we had soup or chili and then fondue for the main - we ordered spicy Italian sausage and grilled veggies with it. Great for lunch, but the night ride on the gondola is terrific (blankets provided). Use the upstairs accessible lav - the regular lavs are 1930 vintage.Special Features:
- Roundhousedp54Dined on 3/6/2014Ride the Gondula for dinner with great atmosphere and views. Service and food were excellant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your grandmothers ski cafeOntheroadagainDined on 2/25/2014Beautiful setting, awesome food, professional service in the middle of Bald Mtn. Ski slope. Special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch in the snowMaui74Dined on 2/20/2014This was my first visit. We are not skiers but love the mountains and the snow. Riding the gondola to the top was a perfect start. Service was very good and well timed throughout the meal. The fireplace at the center of the dining room broke up the view of the other tables and made it a little more intimate. I started with the salmon cake which did not have a fishy smell, was a good portion and tasted delicious and followed with the Ahi tuna melt that was seared perfectly. My wife very much enjoyed the Artic Char. Good menu selection for a lunch menu. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful time on Bald MountainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/17/2014My wife and I last visited Sun Valley about eight years ago. During that visit we had the good fortune of riding the ski lift to mid mountain and dining at the Roundhouse restaurant, a lovely rustic facility with great dining, bars and scenic views. So when we returned this year, we were eager to get back to the Roundhouse and Averell's Bar. We were treated to the very best in terms of hospitality, friendliness, great food and insurmountable views. Matt the manager of the facility helped us with a reservation change and was more than attentive. Ashton, our greeter, made us feel at home and Alexandra, our waitperson, was most gracious with helpful menu suggestions. We had such a fabulous visit we returned the next day. A must see in S.V.Special Features:
- It's getting better!TommyVIPDined on 2/14/2014The food choices, service and quality are consistently improving and we are appreciative of the committment to revive such a great old place to enjoy fine dining in once again.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience at Roundhouse!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2014The ambience of the Roundhouse is heightened by its four fires, which crackle and pop and make the room very cosy. The food was excellent: perfectly done steak and salmon with delicious flavorful veggies. The menu is small and shows no obvious vegetarian dishes, but I suspect some of the salads could be made into main dishes. The service was impeccable. An overall great experience. PS: The ride up to the chairlift to the Roundhouse while it was snowing in the dark was very romantic and so much fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/6/2014Totally incredible, I may come back to SV just to eat here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iconic Sun Valley experience!whitecloud10Dined on 2/1/2014We love this place! Have dined there on several occasions and it keeps getting better. Gondola ride (furnished with cozy wool blankets) offering crazy great views of Ketchum and Sun Valley on the way up and down, plus the historic Roundhouse atmosphere, absolute must for visitors to Sun Valley/Ketchum. They do have child menu options and pretty child friendly. Ask to be seated in the inner circle area near the fireplace, if not, if it's busy and you are in the outer area, can feel like sitting in the lobby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to learn that Averill'sShotGun1852VIPDined on 1/25/2014Sorry to learn that Averill's is no longer available for dinner.Special Features:
- Private IdahoLuciellaDined on 1/16/2014Your party rides covered in wool blankets in a private gondola (up to 8 in a single car) to the mid-point of Baldy, Sun Valley's ski mountain. If you manage a clear night, the upper reaches of the Pioneer and Sawtooth ranges become revealed, glowing pink and purple in the reflection of the setting sun...long since gone from the valley floor. A full moon later is gorgeous on the return trip. Reception is warm and the setting is rustically elegant with silver and linen, but then things lag a bit. Our server was a bit slow with menus, drinks, not very forthcoming about menu details. She may have been new, and certainly we have had better service at the Roundhouse during prior visits. This is a must for non-skiers.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/4/2014Exceptional service-----25% tip indicates that. The historical ambience is great. I have dined here before during the Summer outside--great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special treatSkiviewDined on 1/4/2014We are regular visitors to Sun valley and usually don't take long lunches as were keen skiers. This trip we decided to try a leisurely lunch at the Roundhouse to enjoy the view. Based on prior reviews we were expecting high prices and mediocre food. We got the opposite. Portions are big and flavours nice. We had fish and it was nicely prepared. The chef does seem to like pepper (we do too) but if you dont it might be worth mentioning to the server. Value was very good. Mains were only a couple of dollars more than what is available in the other mountain lodges. Service was nice and attentive. Best of all, it took just under an hour. You could linger if you wanted. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Spot to Show Off the Area.CreoneDined on 1/1/2014All 13 of our family ages 7-69 really had a great time - good food, good friendly service - we will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Location for LunchnickDined on 12/27/2013The Roundhouse is in a beautiful setting, the food was amazing, the service was amazing, and at lunch our kids had a great time. Wow. Five stars all the way.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion for sure.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013The staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating. The food was excellent; however there are limited options for vegan or vegetarian eaters, even as the prices are the same as for meat/fish consumers.Special Features:
- Outstanding AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013Great fun and wonderful ambiance. The last time we were there the food was excellent but this time not quite as good. Hard to beat the Gondola ride to the restaurant and the fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbshellbkhanDined on 12/21/2013It's all I could talk about all day....the menu, the service, the view unbelievable. Go! Just go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't top the viewtrantelicaDined on 7/19/2013Food and service where great, but the clincher is the view. You can bike, hike, or fly like a kite to the top and catch a refreshing view and enjoy tasty eats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly disorganizedGrannyDined on 7/6/2013Do not cook meat to order Extremely disorganized seating and wait serviceSpecial Features:
- Fantastic view, great fireplaces,MtnWanderer5VIPDined on 3/29/2013Fantastic view, great fireplaces, and decent food!
- Great view, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2013Great view and quite the experience riding the gondola up to the restaurant. There were a few families with kids, which I didn't expect in such an expensive restaurant. The kids were running around and ended up tripping a server with a full tray of food. It's not the restaurant's fault, but those children were loud and obnoxious. That's why my overall and ambiance ratings were lower.Special Features:
- It keeps improving. DinnerTommyVIPDined on 3/10/2013It keeps improving. Dinner recently and lunch this time, the service has vastly improved. The new items on the menu are welcome!Special Features:
- Worth a VisitmrpiiiDined on 3/9/2013The Roundhouse is worth a visit if you are in the Sun Valley area. Don't expect wonderful food, my coq au vin was dry, my date's pasta was good but the pasta wasn't al dente. The service is good and the view excellent. The wine list is decent and not too expensive. The best part is the ride down the gondola after dinner. Be sure to pick an evening with clear skiesSpecial Features:
- A memorable evening we lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2013A memorable evening we loved everything. Great for (polite) familiesSpecial Features:
- A step back in time ....OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/5/2013The Roundhouse is a throw-back to the glamorous era of skiing. It is a one-of-a-kind on-mountain dining experience. Yes, it's round ...built in 1939 and beautifully restored while retaining the old woody charm. I would like to see a more diversified menu, maybe less "game", but there is something for everyone on the menu and daily specials too. I had the Potatoe Leek soup yesterday ...oh, yum! Must be those fresh Idaho potatoes! The experience is even better if you're familiar with the movie "Sun Valley Serenade" which can be viewed in your room 24/7 or at the Sun Valley Opera House if you are staying at a Sun Valley property.Special Features:
- A must for any trip to SunJPackDined on 2/22/2013A must for any trip to Sun Valley. Ride the gondola to the Roundhouse for fabulous views of the Pioneer and Boulder Mountains. Great ambiance and good food. Service tends to be on the slow side but decent wine and bar service.Special Features:
- A visit to The RoundhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013A visit to The Roundhouse is a must for every visit to Sun Valley. My wife and I have at this restaurant several times.The food has always been excellent and the views superb. It also a great way for non-skiers to enjoy the mountain experience on Baldy. While a bit pricey, it is worth every penny as each visit is unforgettable.Special Features:
- I love dining at the historicSkiSunValleyVIPDined on 2/15/2013I love dining at the historic Roundohouse. I just wish they hadn't moved the Averell's!Special Features:
- The food was good, but seemedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013The food was good, but seemed a little pricey for lunch even for the Sun Valley area.Special Features:
- Food has improved greatlylisaVIPDined on 2/3/2013Food has improved greatly over the years. Elk Burger and bison brisket especially good. Salmon burger also wonderful. Staff very accommodating to guests request. Overall, a lovely experience for our out of town guests and local alike.Special Features:
- sadbobbieDined on 2/2/2013We have always loved this place and we were there to celebrate a special occasion. I was sad that we were put down in the old bar when there was plenty of room in the upstairs area. That is where the true ambience lies and we look forward to it every year. The host certainly could have put us up there but for some reason he did not. We were one of the last reservations of the afternoon and I think they wanted us down there so they could set up for dinner and get their shift finished, I know the gig.A lot of the above special features would have been checked if we would have been treated better.
- Overall a very nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013Overall a very nice experience at Roundhouse. Unfortunately we went downstairs to Averell's and someone removed the bar! Turned a cozy little bar to a sterile feeling back room. So sad. The upstairs bar needs some pizzaz. Looked like it had the same interior designer as Lookout! A little imagination would go a long way!Special Features:
- Of course, the gondola rideOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2013Of course, the gondola ride to the Roundhouse is the best part of this dining experience. The prices don't reflect the quality of the food. There were three in our party, we each ordered something different. Although our meals were tasty, each one was lukewarm! (The fondue appetizer was hot!)The wine list had a price range for everyone, which was a plus. I expected this dining experience to be fairly upscale, but I was dissappointed in the lack of ambience. We were seated next to a party with 2 three year olds that really didn't want to be there. Fortunately, they left and we were able to have the rest of meal in peace. The service was very good but overall, the prices are too high for what I felt was more of a very casual dinner sp
- A total dining EXPERIENCE!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2013This is by far the most memorable meal I have had in years! The breathtaking view from the gondola ride up the mountain sets the stage for an evening of unique fun. Once inside the restaurant, the decor, vintage photos, magnificent architecture, and gorgeous 4-sided fireplace were almost enough to rate 5-stars alone. The food is what puts this restaurant over the top! The Roundhouse Fondue is a MUST! I felt like I was in a cozy cabin in the Swiss Alps. We had short ribs, steak, and fish...all were prepared beautifully! Our waitress was extremely attentive, personable and friendly. We recently bought a vacation home in Ketchum and we are thrilled to have found this gem of a restaurant!Special Features:
- What can compare to ridingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2013What can compare to riding a gondola up the mountain snuggled in wool blankets and taking in the view of Ketchum and Sun Valley!! The restaurant itself is just lovely, and the best seating can be either near the 360 degree fireplace or near a window with the lights twinkling from below. We especially liked the fondue for an appetizer, and all our entree's were delicious. I would highly recommend the Roundhouse for that very special occasion or just for the fun and adventure of it.Special Features:
- Everything was great. I justsvnativeDined on 1/12/2013Everything was great. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. $18 salads are a bit crazy.Special Features:
- A memorable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/5/2013A fantastic dining experience! Very romantic and memorable.Special Features:
- A very unique venue and notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013A very unique venue and not to be missed on your trip to Sun Valley. We made reservations for our last night in town and it was a memorable way to end our ski week.Special Features:
- Roundhouse is a gem restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/4/2013Roundhouse is a gem restaurant with lots of tradition, terrific views and generally an a excellent menu. Elk was on the menu but they ran out so we couldn't try it. Cheese fondue was excellent.Special Features: