1240 - 8th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0M7Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rougecalgary.com/
- Phone: 4035312767x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary French / American, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Jamie Harling
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call to inquire.
- Special Events: Call to inquire.
A word from Rouge
Calgary’s premier restaurant destination. The expansive on-site garden and locally grown products influence the mouthwatering menu. Located only 5 minutes from downtown, Rouge offers cuisine and ambiance dedicated to food and wine aficionados. Ample free parking.Continued
Rouge boasts private meeting rooms for your next event or function, as well as an outstanding patio overlooking the garden for those warm summer days
Rouge boasts private meeting rooms for your next event or function, as well as an outstanding patio overlooking the garden for those warm summer days
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Rouge - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (119)special occasion (116)romantic (110)notable wine list (83)neighborhood gem (66)great for outdoor dining (55)good for groups (30)scenic view (28)great for lunch (19)hot spot (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A nice night out.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Had been wanting to try Rouge for a while. We had high expectations and were generally happy with the meal. Jamie was very attentive without being intrusive and made our dining experience pleasant. Sommelier chose some very nice wines for us. Food was interesting and unique. Flavours were good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceToneDined on 10/18/2014The service was top notch with very friendly staff and our waiter was very attentive. We all tried the chef's 6 course meal and every dish was delicious, although the main entree elk could have been more flavourful. Pricing is on the higher end but not unreasonable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Brilliant local food creations...amazing taste combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RegularsregularsDined on 10/10/2014Our 'alumni 'group of 5 has been meeting twice yearly at Rouge for a leisurely lunch for 5+ years now. We love the ambiance and the food is always delicious. We never feel rush and have time for a great visit. We actually discussed trying a new spot next time but all agreed we'd come back to Rouge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014A dear friend was recently visiting from out of town and it happened to be her birthday during her visit. To celebrate her properly I decided to book a table for a birthday dinner at Rouge where we chose to do the chef's tasting dinner with premium wine pairings. What an incredible experience it was! The food, presentation, service and knowledge from the staff was fantastic. (Allergy restrictions were beautifully handled) The restaurant was quiet, but still had us feeling at ease in its warm ambiance. It was a really lovely way to showcase local produce and food in a very elevated way to an English visitor and despite a week full of sightseeing and eating at Calgary's hotspots, this stood out as the most memorable experience all weekSpecial Features:
- Best in CalgaryReviewerVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had the Chef's tasting menu. Beautiful. Flavors galore. Each dish was special. Complementing and contrasting flavors makes you want to eat each item separately, just to enjoy it. Well portioned. We were full but not stuffed. Chose a less expensive wine and it did not disappoint.Special Features:
- food was outstanding.BarbDined on 10/4/2014We had the chef's selection and every course was delicious. My only complaint was that it was a very warm night (for october) and the room was quite warm. Probably could have opened the windows more widely. If I go back I would request a seat by the window as being situated against the wall in a table for two was a bit "airless". Having said that the food was outstanding as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!chingDined on 10/4/2014The food was incredible , we go to alot of fancy restaurant and try alot of different types of food. This food was some of the best that we have ever had. We went for my husbands birthday and they went above and beyond to make his day extra special, the services what excellent and we are planning on visiting again and again. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decentfodx123Dined on 10/4/2014I had heard very amazing things about Rouge, so I had very high expectations, I am a "foodie" so I was quite excited. The service was outstanding, the presentation was very elegant and nice, but the food it self was nothing amazing, it was very good, but I was not blown away, nor did I thinking I can't wait to dine their again. It is also more of a restraunt for older people, it's extremely quite and really doesn't have much atmosphere at all.Special Features:
- lovetoeatDined on 10/2/2014A wonderful restaurant for business lunches, meetings and special dinners. It has a wonderful ambience. The staff are attentive and the food amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rouge Over-Delivers!JacqStratDined on 10/1/2014This is an outstanding place to have a romantic dinner, but I often bring clients here for lunch. Lunch menu is not as expensive as you might think. But the atmosphere and service always gives the best possible impression. And it's never noisy or too crowded at lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014great tasting menu, utilized plenty from restaurant's garden.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerGr8hanzDined on 9/29/2014Food and service were impeccable. Chef noted any suggestions. I found the lobster dish a little on the salty side. Fois gras salad was delicious. My partner's soup made from sunflower hearts was exquisite. The send off at the end of the night was what I called: "chocolate for a year in a ball" because that's what it tasted like. The waitress went back to the chef to ask if she could now use that title to describe his freshly made chocolate trouffles. He answered with a resounding "yes".Special Features:
- Great date night !MgimpyDined on 9/27/2014Had an amazing dinner at rouge over the weekend with with my girlfriend ! Both of us had the chef menu with wine pairings. If your scared to try new things maybe not the best thing for you(baby pigeon beef tar tar and duck liver) all were amazing tho once u tried everything on your plate in a bite. The meal took about three hours tho since there are so many courses 7-8 and different wines to finish. More on the expensive side from a plain Jane dinner at the keg but worth every penny! I will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but overpricedLuv2eatDined on 9/26/2014The service was fantastic and the food was good but unbelievably overpriced. Paid $300 for tasting menu and we both left hungry...Special Features:
- Chef's Tasting MenuKrispyBitesVIPDined on 9/20/2014I was told that the 6-course tasting menu changes weekly. Each course is exciting and showcases the chefs' superb cooking skills. I particularly enjoyed the pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. It tasted like pumpkin puree with just the right balance of cheese and egg. The half-cured salmon was also excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceluvafindDined on 9/19/2014We had heard many good things about Rouge and had to try it. Loved the setting and ambiance of this restaurant, very quaint and comfortable. Food is unique and excellent right down to the plating. To start we had the Northern Divine Caviar and then the Spiced Lobster Broth and Wild Mushroom Salad which we loved. Our mains equally good (Beef Tenderloin and Lamb Loin). We enjoy our wines and the wine list did not disappoint. The sommelier was very helpful and knowledgeable. We were, however, a little disappointed in some aspects of the service with this being a top restaurant in Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Went with my wife for our anniversary and everything was delicious. We had the Tuna Conserva and Spiced Lobster for starters. For entrees, I had the Greens, Eggs and Ham Duck breast, while my wife got the 35 Hour Pork Belly. Finished with the chocolate torte.Special Features:
- We will be back.DSBEwenDined on 9/16/2014Please see above. Great food. Great service. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rouge experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014There were four in our group and we were all pleasantly pleased with the experience. The ambiance lent itself to a very intimate setting. Service was excellent and we were well looked after. The food on the whole was above par, everything was cooked and presently very well. I must say the cheese plate at the end of the meal was disappointing, I think a better selection of cheeses would have worked better. Rouge is not the place to go if one is watching their budget, it is very expensive. If you do got to Rouge just be aware it will be very expensive, but I think worth it.Special Features:
- Excellent food at a good pricePastryAddictDined on 9/13/2014The quality of the ingredients and presentation of the food are excellent. We've come to this restaurant at least once a year and highly recommend it to everyone we meet. The food is priced reasonably for the generous portion and quality. Outstanding wine selection. The service and staff are typically phenomenal however the most recent visit was an exception. It took 2.5 hours from start to finish. I only had two courses and did not enjoy having to sit there for so long. The delay was most likely due to a wedding reception upstairs. Minor Recommendations: lower the price of beer ($8 a bottle is not reasonable), ensure all tables don't wobble, and update the online menu to correspond the restaurant menu.Special Features:
- WholesomeMamaDined on 9/13/2014We had the Chef's Tasting Menu and the food was amazing. The service staff was polite and they explained the dishes we were served (albeit very quickly and somewhat rote. Our server did go out of her way to make sure we were taken care of. When we arrived the restaurant was very chilly. It took quite awhile to warm up. The building was built in 1891 and is a lovely house on beautiful property. Inside, however, was rather stark and cold. White walls with minimal art, it really wasn't cozy or inviting at all. However, as mentioned, the food was amazing. Was very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchDinoutcalVIPDined on 9/5/2014Hosted a business lunch at Rouge. As usual the service and food were excellent. The lobster bisque and halibut cakes received particularly favourable comments from my fellow diners.Special Features:
- special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I took my wife here for a very special dinner, we were not disappointed. The pork belly was like candy, the duck was perfect and the wine suggestions, (not pairings, which is what will bring us back) were spot on. The server had some flare, but was very moderate in his delivery. It was a perfect dinner in every aspect of the experience. Thank you Rouge!Special Features:
- Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014My wife and I had a great experience at Rouge. The food, the service , and the level of knowledge from the wait staff was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014My wife is pregnant, and was concerned about ordering the chef's tasting menu. We inquired about whether the restaurant had options for my wife, and the response from the kitchen was that they would love to put something unique together for us. The custom-made chef's tasting experience was fresh, tasty, and creative. It was a special treat for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please change your music play list!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed our dinner, the food was very good... but the server/waiter was good but not great. For such an upscale restaurant, he didn't seem that experienced and not that articulate when describing the "Chef's Menu" or anything for that matter- that was disappointing. Just expected better upscale service for the prices we were paying. The music was beyond irritating. We love jazz but it became loud and obnoxious and wasn't the jazz style suited for a nice restaurant. The other music styles that the restaurant played, did not blend together as a nice play list. We love music and it can change the ambiance of the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent food great service.KpalmDined on 8/26/2014The place was one of the neatest places I've been to. Historical home. Set in the garden. Food was amazing. We went out of our comfort zone to try something new and we were impressed! Staff were excellent. Somewhat attentive. Place was clean. The ambiance was unsurpassed! Only issue was the price. When I say we went outside of our comfort zone, it was also out of our comfort budget. By far the prices meal we've ever eaten. But for a very rare occasion, worth it! If your not budget wise, try the chef special with paired wine. It's a 6 coarse dinner (it was actually more like 9 with everything that's included). Each coarse come with its own paired wine. Didnt leave hungry or too full. I wish I could budget to come here more often...Special Features:
- Best in CalgaryReviewerVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have eaten at pretty much every restaurant in the city (and several others) and this one stands alone. Creative menu. Service responsive but neither intrusive nor pretentious. Fresh ingredients that have you savouring every flavour.Special Features:
- Memorable but priceySommDined on 8/22/2014We had a great dinner and enjoyed the Chef's tasting menu but at $300 for dinner for two it did seem like the price was over the top.Special Features:
- reviewDined on 8/19/2014Was somewhat disappointed with the small portion size. In comparison to other fine dining restaurants, it seemed smaller than usual. Having said that, well made and tasty food. I ordered the lamb/merguez entree. I do not eat pork and I asked the french waiter prior to ordering it if the dish had any pork in it and he declined. Upon the arrival of the dish, the server explained that the merguez were made in house using pork belly as a shell. I was not able to savor the merguez. Better attention by the waiter to customer's dietary restriction is warranted for a smoother dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food but at a costZZZZDined on 8/18/2014Sophisticated food, made with premium ingredients. Venue is great for special occasions. Be prepared for the cost though.Special Features:
- My New FavoriteYYCgetinmybellyDined on 8/18/2014Absolutely incredible. Intricate, detailed dishes served by attentive, professional staff. If you are dining out on their patio, you can walk around their huge garden, in which they grow much of their organics. They even have their own bee hives for fresh honey! The food they prepare is second to none - truly one of the best restaraunts I have ever been to in Calgary. It is a quiet atmosphere with extremely complex dishes, so I would not recommend bringing children here. It's more of a date night/special occasion type of place for dinner.Special Features:
- Great EveningEsmithredlandVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great food, good service - says it all. Great location & building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in Calgarymmmm99Dined on 8/12/2014excellent food and service. fresh and creative. no air conditioning so ate outside. got to spruce up the patio and get better chairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodHelen48Dined on 8/8/2014First time to Rouge. I had heard many good things so I was excited to try it out. The restaurant did not fail to impress. Beautiful turn of the century home, elegant atmosphere. The food was so unique and well prepared. We each tried a different dish and had a difficult time choosing the best one. I think we stayed till the place closed down and never any pressure to leave. It is not an inexpensive place but one that is great for special occasions.Special Features:
- Fantastic!FinerDinerDined on 8/8/2014Food was absolutely incredible! We had the Chef's tasting menu, and it was absolutely incredible - best food We have ever had. Service was incredible. The restaurant is high end, but we felt very comfortable. The staff were kind and friendly. So many restaurants of the same caliber can be snobby and exclusive, but we felt very welcome and "at home" at Rouge.Special Features:
- Great tasting menu, OK serviceWineAndDesignDined on 8/6/2014Went to Rouge with my wife for our anniversary. We were seated outside in the garden (which is lovely) in a large wedding-like tent (which was less lovely). Maybe they had an event planned, but if they want to leverage their garden they should consider something more permanent and in keeping with the architecture and character of the Victorian house they are in. Tasting menu was incredible! Pricey, but top marks. Wine list is good, though there was a bit of a misfire it was quickly fixed. Service was OK. Our server was VERY new and it showed. Perhaps a bit more training before they send them out into the wild, but he was nice and it didn't ruin the experience. I just expect a bit more from a restaurant like this in the service department.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Place!VbellaDined on 8/2/2014Rouge has a lovely, romantic and elegant feel. The food is absolutely delicious and the service is outstanding! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in Calgary!Danorman90Dined on 8/1/2014This restaurant was amazing - the service was fantastic, the wine and cocktail list was superb, and every item we had from the menu was absolutely delicious. This was our 2nd visit here, and we will certainly be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.