1240 - 8th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0M7Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.rougecalgary.com/
- Phone: 4035312767x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary French / American, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Jamie Harling
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call to inquire.
- Special Events: Call to inquire.
A word from Rouge
Calgary’s premier restaurant destination. The expansive on-site garden and locally grown products influence the mouthwatering menu. Located only 5 minutes from downtown, Rouge offers cuisine and ambiance dedicated to food and wine aficionados. Ample free parking.Continued
Rouge boasts private meeting rooms for your next event or function, as well as an outstanding patio overlooking the garden for those warm summer days
Rouge boasts private meeting rooms for your next event or function, as well as an outstanding patio overlooking the garden for those warm summer days
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Rouge - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (105)fit for foodies (98)romantic (94)notable wine list (73)neighborhood gem (60)great for outdoor dining (59)scenic view (29)good for groups (27)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Rouge experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014There were four in our group and we were all pleasantly pleased with the experience. The ambiance lent itself to a very intimate setting. Service was excellent and we were well looked after. The food on the whole was above par, everything was cooked and presently very well. I must say the cheese plate at the end of the meal was disappointing, I think a better selection of cheeses would have worked better. Rouge is not the place to go if one is watching their budget, it is very expensive. If you do got to Rouge just be aware it will be very expensive, but I think worth it.Special Features:
- Excellent food at a good pricePastryAddictDined on 9/13/2014The quality of the ingredients and presentation of the food are excellent. We've come to this restaurant at least once a year and highly recommend it to everyone we meet. The food is priced reasonably for the generous portion and quality. Outstanding wine selection. The service and staff are typically phenomenal however the most recent visit was an exception. It took 2.5 hours from start to finish. I only had two courses and did not enjoy having to sit there for so long. The delay was most likely due to a wedding reception upstairs. Minor Recommendations: lower the price of beer ($8 a bottle is not reasonable), ensure all tables don't wobble, and update the online menu to correspond the restaurant menu.Special Features:
- WholesomeMamaDined on 9/13/2014We had the Chef's Tasting Menu and the food was amazing. The service staff was polite and they explained the dishes we were served (albeit very quickly and somewhat rote. Our server did go out of her way to make sure we were taken care of. When we arrived the restaurant was very chilly. It took quite awhile to warm up. The building was built in 1891 and is a lovely house on beautiful property. Inside, however, was rather stark and cold. White walls with minimal art, it really wasn't cozy or inviting at all. However, as mentioned, the food was amazing. Was very pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchDinoutcalVIPDined on 9/5/2014Hosted a business lunch at Rouge. As usual the service and food were excellent. The lobster bisque and halibut cakes received particularly favourable comments from my fellow diners.Special Features:
- special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I took my wife here for a very special dinner, we were not disappointed. The pork belly was like candy, the duck was perfect and the wine suggestions, (not pairings, which is what will bring us back) were spot on. The server had some flare, but was very moderate in his delivery. It was a perfect dinner in every aspect of the experience. Thank you Rouge!Special Features:
- Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014My wife and I had a great experience at Rouge. The food, the service , and the level of knowledge from the wait staff was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/2/2014My wife is pregnant, and was concerned about ordering the chef's tasting menu. We inquired about whether the restaurant had options for my wife, and the response from the kitchen was that they would love to put something unique together for us. The custom-made chef's tasting experience was fresh, tasty, and creative. It was a special treat for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please change your music play list!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed our dinner, the food was very good... but the server/waiter was good but not great. For such an upscale restaurant, he didn't seem that experienced and not that articulate when describing the "Chef's Menu" or anything for that matter- that was disappointing. Just expected better upscale service for the prices we were paying. The music was beyond irritating. We love jazz but it became loud and obnoxious and wasn't the jazz style suited for a nice restaurant. The other music styles that the restaurant played, did not blend together as a nice play list. We love music and it can change the ambiance of the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent food great service.KpalmDined on 8/26/2014The place was one of the neatest places I've been to. Historical home. Set in the garden. Food was amazing. We went out of our comfort zone to try something new and we were impressed! Staff were excellent. Somewhat attentive. Place was clean. The ambiance was unsurpassed! Only issue was the price. When I say we went outside of our comfort zone, it was also out of our comfort budget. By far the prices meal we've ever eaten. But for a very rare occasion, worth it! If your not budget wise, try the chef special with paired wine. It's a 6 coarse dinner (it was actually more like 9 with everything that's included). Each coarse come with its own paired wine. Didnt leave hungry or too full. I wish I could budget to come here more often...Special Features:
- Best in CalgaryReviewerVIPDined on 8/23/2014Have eaten at pretty much every restaurant in the city (and several others) and this one stands alone. Creative menu. Service responsive but neither intrusive nor pretentious. Fresh ingredients that have you savouring every flavour.Special Features:
- Memorable but priceySommDined on 8/22/2014We had a great dinner and enjoyed the Chef's tasting menu but at $300 for dinner for two it did seem like the price was over the top.Special Features:
- reviewDined on 8/19/2014Was somewhat disappointed with the small portion size. In comparison to other fine dining restaurants, it seemed smaller than usual. Having said that, well made and tasty food. I ordered the lamb/merguez entree. I do not eat pork and I asked the french waiter prior to ordering it if the dish had any pork in it and he declined. Upon the arrival of the dish, the server explained that the merguez were made in house using pork belly as a shell. I was not able to savor the merguez. Better attention by the waiter to customer's dietary restriction is warranted for a smoother dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food but at a costZZZZDined on 8/18/2014Sophisticated food, made with premium ingredients. Venue is great for special occasions. Be prepared for the cost though.Special Features:
- My New FavoriteYYCgetinmybellyDined on 8/18/2014Absolutely incredible. Intricate, detailed dishes served by attentive, professional staff. If you are dining out on their patio, you can walk around their huge garden, in which they grow much of their organics. They even have their own bee hives for fresh honey! The food they prepare is second to none - truly one of the best restaraunts I have ever been to in Calgary. It is a quiet atmosphere with extremely complex dishes, so I would not recommend bringing children here. It's more of a date night/special occasion type of place for dinner.Special Features:
- Great EveningEsmithredlandVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great food, good service - says it all. Great location & building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in Calgarymmmm99Dined on 8/12/2014excellent food and service. fresh and creative. no air conditioning so ate outside. got to spruce up the patio and get better chairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodHelen48Dined on 8/8/2014First time to Rouge. I had heard many good things so I was excited to try it out. The restaurant did not fail to impress. Beautiful turn of the century home, elegant atmosphere. The food was so unique and well prepared. We each tried a different dish and had a difficult time choosing the best one. I think we stayed till the place closed down and never any pressure to leave. It is not an inexpensive place but one that is great for special occasions.Special Features:
- Fantastic!FinerDinerDined on 8/8/2014Food was absolutely incredible! We had the Chef's tasting menu, and it was absolutely incredible - best food We have ever had. Service was incredible. The restaurant is high end, but we felt very comfortable. The staff were kind and friendly. So many restaurants of the same caliber can be snobby and exclusive, but we felt very welcome and "at home" at Rouge.Special Features:
- Great tasting menu, OK serviceWineAndDesignDined on 8/6/2014Went to Rouge with my wife for our anniversary. We were seated outside in the garden (which is lovely) in a large wedding-like tent (which was less lovely). Maybe they had an event planned, but if they want to leverage their garden they should consider something more permanent and in keeping with the architecture and character of the Victorian house they are in. Tasting menu was incredible! Pricey, but top marks. Wine list is good, though there was a bit of a misfire it was quickly fixed. Service was OK. Our server was VERY new and it showed. Perhaps a bit more training before they send them out into the wild, but he was nice and it didn't ruin the experience. I just expect a bit more from a restaurant like this in the service department.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Place!VbellaDined on 8/2/2014Rouge has a lovely, romantic and elegant feel. The food is absolutely delicious and the service is outstanding! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in Calgary!Danorman90Dined on 8/1/2014This restaurant was amazing - the service was fantastic, the wine and cocktail list was superb, and every item we had from the menu was absolutely delicious. This was our 2nd visit here, and we will certainly be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food!bonappetitDined on 8/1/2014We can only recommend the Chef's tasting menu. It is a bit pricey but definitely not a rip-off. You will experience flavors in combinations that you would never have thought of. Service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Terrific spot for a nice anniversary dinner. They even had a card signed by the chef for us, waiting at our table! Our server, Jamie, was terrific: attentive, fun, knowledgeable. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Our favoriteGailDined on 8/1/2014Rouge is our favorite place to go to for a special occasion. The waiters are friendly and knowledgeable and the food is amazing. Allergies were dealt with without any fuss. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect in every wayTravellingFoodieVIPDined on 7/30/2014On a hot summer day there's nothing better than dining outside in the beautiful gardens at Rouge while shaded by the large canopy. Everything about the experience was perfect.Special Features:
- Nice placewwguy51VIPDined on 7/28/2014We did the tasting menu with the Premium wine pairing. The wines were fantastic, the food was mostly excellent, only complaint would have been personal tastes, there was nothing wrong with the dishes we had, we just didn't like a couple of the courses, I'm sure they were prepared correctly just wasn't what we liked and since it was the tasting menu, we didn't pick the courses. So it's the chance you take when you go that route.Special Features:
- Great presentationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Food was excellent with creative presentation Server was attentive and sought answers from the Chef when necessarySpecial Features:
- Arthur1932Dined on 7/24/2014Rouge has been a "go to" place for us routinely.Everything is simply very good!!Special Features:
- Delicious...Worth Every PennyPastaLoverVIPDined on 7/22/2014A simply delicious experience! Every dish was presented perfectly, and each offered a unique blend of different flavors. The seared tuna appetizer was wonderful, and I absolutely could not get enough of the lentil mixture that came with my salmon (even though the salmon itself was cooked exactly to my liking). My lemon cake dessert was to die for. I love Rouge - it was my first visit and I will go again. The on-site garden promotes a sustainable and local food initiative, and the preservation of the Cross house provides the community with the heritage and history that is so important to remember. Sitting outside under the tent, overlooking the aged trees, it's almost like visiting a country establishment.Special Features:
- Relax and enjoy3sistersdiningDined on 7/22/2014Very relaxing outdoor garden atmosphere 'under the tent'. Lovely historic home. The duck was fantastic outshined the other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok...but no real complaints.DrSwayDined on 7/21/2014Some things are right on the money and some are not. Service was good but no where near exceptional. Food was good but not rave worthy and the garden needs a proper gardener.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a favouriteyycjpbDined on 7/19/2014Rouge has been a "go-to" dinner spot for my wife and I, usually for our anniversary. This year, we went for her birthday. As usual, we had the tasting menu. The kitchen never fails to put together a number of tasty and interesting courses, with fresh seasonal ingredients. Being that it was summer, many of the ingredients were from their own garden. And the optional wine pairings always show a lot of insight. On a more practical level, the portion sizes seem perfect, never too full or hungry after 5 courses plus. Dining at Rouge in the summer is extra special as you can eat in the tent in the garden. It is very quiet and tranquil to stroll around the gardens between courses. Finally, the service is warm and professional.Special Features:
- Great restaurant2candineDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I visited this restaurant for our 9 year anniversary. I had looked at a bunch of different restaurant reviews before deciding on this place and it was the perfect choice. We dined in their outside patio which was covered by a tent and overlooked their garden. We decided to go all out and get the Chef's tasting menu, which was $110/each, but for 3 hours of great dinning you can't complain. The food itself was exceptional, except for one of the six course meal (was just not our taste). I would recommend this to anyone wanting a great, relaxing, and romantic night out.Special Features:
- luvfood1Dined on 7/18/2014Great flavour combinations on the tasting menu. Each course was well presented and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful gardensLisaVIPDined on 7/18/2014We enjoy visiting Rouge in the summer and sitting outside overlooking the beautiful gardens. We enjoyed the tasting menu and standard wine pairings, all of which was fabulous as usual. The service is outstanding and it is truly a great evening out. We were there for over 3 hours. The courses are served at a perfect pace and it is a more of an event than simply a meal out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JakeVIPDined on 7/18/2014The food was exceptional and the service was impeccable. Higly recommend it!!!Special Features:
- Loved the foodSkiguyDined on 7/16/2014Had the tasting menu and totally enjoyed the taste and Aldo that the chef came out on one course to explain what we were having and what was in it. Very enjoyable and the timing of The courses was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningRRJWDined on 7/12/2014An enjoyable dining experience of over 3 hours with a multi course meal and wine list. Each wine was paired with the chefs choice of meal made from local producers and their own garden and honey bee colony. Half way through they encouraged us to take a walk through the garden and back yard with wine in hand. The service was great with just the right amount of attention and willing to go out of their way to make the experience the best it could be. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyDancingtastebudsDined on 7/11/2014Exceptional service, superb wine selection and beautifully prepared food. Loved that the majority of offerings were local and sustainable, most of the produce comes right from the garden in the back yard. The historical house set a lovely scene and it's next to the river, so you can take a romantic. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- A little bit overratedAlexDined on 7/5/2014We liked the restaurant in general, but we probably wouldn't go back there. The food was good, but something just didn't work (probably a combination of the ingredients). I guess it's just was our expectation. We expected something more from this restaurant and we didn't get what we expected from the 4 diamond restaurant (http://news-releases.ama.ab.ca/releases/ama-announces-albertas-diamonds-in-hotels-and-dining). The service was good and the ambience too. Nice restaurant, but a little bit overpriced and overrated.Special Features: