Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
53 West Portal Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rotibistro.com/
- Phone: (415) 665-7684
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:45pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:15pm
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Fusion / Eclectic, Indian
- Executive Chef: Divender Pal Singh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Inquire with restaurant management.
- Private Party Facilities: Inquire with restaurant management about our private room available for large parties, banquets and receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Pankaj Shah 4156657684x
- Special Events: Large Private Room available for up to 50 people - ideal for parties, office meetings, birthdays, and receptions.
A word from Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
When brothers Ash and Rajiv Gujral planned a new Indian restaurant, they wanted to create neither an ultra-formal dining room nor a tiny hole in the wall venue. ROTI Indian Bistro marries casual, contemporary styling to classic Indian cuisine. Designer Susan Gujral created a warm, modern space with dramatic color, light and imagery that portrays the rich aesthetic essence of India. The chefs take diners on a culinary tour of India, offering a taste of the North in the Tandoori meat dishes and hints of the South in the vegetarian curries. Fresh breads are available from the tandoor, a mesquite- fired clay oven unique to Indian cooking. Local and organic ingredients blend with traditional Indian spices to create a diverse fresh, menu. ROTI prides itself on the dining experience - at this popular new addition to the vibrant West Portal neighborhood, refined customer service from the attentive staff and fabulous food have established a higher standard of dining for the area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Forest Hill / West Portal ›
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (36)special occasion (16)good for groups (14)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (9)romantic (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great FoodKikiVIPDined on 11/16/2014The tendori chicken was tender and moist. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bomb dot comwigzDined on 11/16/2014Roti was amazingly good. Some of the best indian food ive had in a long while. You should definitly try the goat cheese naan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is our favorite Indian restaurant. The Tandoor Game Hen was moist, tender, and spiced to perfection as usual. We tried the monthly special squash soup: fantastic! It has a wonderful mix of unique spices that has made it an instant hit with us. It is available during November: go and try it!Special Features:
- Great lunchJackiVIPDined on 11/7/2014Although we usually come here for dinner, I decided to try it for lunch. Another delicious meal, lunch special includes a wonderful cup of chai and salad of tomatoes and cucumbers. Excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- Indian food with a local twistNanciPSVIPDined on 10/31/2014This restaurant continues to delight. The traditional Indian dishes are excellent but the specials each month stand out even more. Expect to see duck or game hen done in the tandoor, or even lobster and tandoori cauliflower . Some specials have made it into the regular menu like the tandoori game hen. Goat cheese naan is a must as is the calamari done in chick pea batter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousyumyumsfDined on 10/26/2014The food at Roti is always fresh, vibrant, interesting and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerPJDivaVIPDined on 10/22/2014It was my husband's birthday and he wanted to go to Roti. We had the butter chicken, lamb curry, and the vegetable special. They were so kind to bring out rice pudding and purple yam ice cream to surprise him. The meal was delicious as usual and the service was gracious. This is one of our favorite restaurants and I hope you give it a try. I can't wait until our next visit.Special Features:
- excellentBethSFVIPDined on 10/13/2014A fine addition to the West portal neighborhood. Excellent service. Nice decor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First experienceGinger2VIPDined on 9/25/2014This was my first visit to Roti for dinner and the food was great and I will be back. I appreciated the wine list, the way it is put together you won't make a choice that doesn't go well with any of the dishes.Special Features:
- Go to SF location not SMIlovemyfoodVIPDined on 9/20/2014Hard to believe both locations are under common ownership. We stick to SF location- very consistent in taste and quality. Horrible experience in San Mateo- the same things we ordered in SF were completely different and poor quality. Favorite items in SF- goat cheese naan- outrageously sinful- vegetable pakoras- best I've had anywhere and huge portion- and anything with the deliciously silky korma sauce. I live in Silicon Valley and try to go here whenever I am in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails. Ever.PaulVIPDined on 9/9/2014Best Indian food outside of the U.K and India. Wish it was in the Mission so I could walk to!Special Features:
- CharmingFoggyVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is definitely a neighborhood find. Excellent food (if it takes a while to get to your table, be happy! It means that it is being freshly prepared!) we had the chicken appetizer and the basket of nan. Those two items could have been a whole meal. Both were excellent, the variety of nan was wonderful. I had a special and my husband had a shrimp,dish that came covered with spinach. Both were very good, and not too hot. The owner brought us a hot sauce to try along with a yogurt dipping sauce. The hot sauce was great, lots of heat, actual flavor and no lingering burn. The yogurt did was also very good, and nice to have with the hot sauce. We did not have desert.Special Features:
- Great eats, a bit priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014Always delicious and the owner is very friendly and accommodating. While still on the pricey side, probably not a big deal for most wealthy foodies. Too bad it's not more affordable to those who should enjoy great fare at more affordable prices.Special Features:
- Disappointingluv2dineDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I have been looking (for years) for a great Indian restaurant. We tried this once before (take out) and it was good so we went back to the restaurant. The noise level was almost unbearable. The food was most disappointing. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- Very pleasant dining experieneJaniceDined on 9/2/2014We like the food there very much, and the welcoming staff and excellent service make it a very favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!foodiegrrlVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great food and friendly owner and staff. Everything we've tried has been great. They also have some interesting monthly seasonal specials.Special Features:
- Ask for the spiceDreamcatcherDined on 8/22/2014Fantastic as always. I love ordering the Navrattan Korma because you always get a different mix of delicious fruits & vegetables. Chicken Tikka Masala is always a favorite. I'll be backSpecial Features:
- greatcooksportsDined on 8/22/2014great, great, great, great, great, great, and greater than greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian, far from Union SqOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Worth the long taxi drive... Truly a nice neighborhood gem, very decent price n great quality. Very satisfied!!!Special Features:
- Best Indian FoodsfDinerDined on 7/30/2014We were a group of 4, one a strict vegan. There were fantastic dishes available for all of us on the "specials" menu. I had the bhuna gosht (lamb) which was superb. I tasted each of the other dishes. All were perfectly balanced in tastes. The Chicken Tikka Masala had an awesome smoked flavour that came though - delicious! I highly recommend the Aachar Pachranga (pickle plate) very unusual if you're not used to Indian food. The wine pairing is carefully selected to compliment the dishes. We had a Barolo which went with the spiced dishes very nicely. Service was good - not too pushy. Warning: it's very easy to over-order by a lot. We ended up taking a whole dish home with us - but it was delicious the next day!Special Features:
- A perfect spot for Indian FoodSFVisitorDined on 7/28/2014This is a hidden gem in West Portal. Exceptional service, fabulous (although a bit too spicy at times for me) food -- tucked away in a cozy little nook in West Portal. Very intimate and fun. I love to take guests there -- always an adventure. They really care about their customers and it shows!Special Features:
- The following 667 reviews are from the Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco reviews archive.
- We're home!PJDivaVIPDined on 7/24/2014After travelling for weeks, we wondered where we would eat when we returned home. Roti! Excellent food, rice (I'm Chinese, so that's important), and a comfortable setting with welcoming staff. It did not disappoint. We had the lamb special in a flavorful and spicy curry, a creamy chicken curry, and paleek paneer (spinach and cheese). My mouth is watering just writing this review. When I know I want a great meal each time, I got to Roti.Special Features:
- luv2dineVIPDined on 7/22/2014Our favorite Indian restaurant in the Bay Area. You cannot go wrong here. My husband always has the butter chicken. I love their tandori game hen as well as some of the lamb specials. The goat cheese is yummy. The owner/manager is very attentive and very personable.Special Features:
- Always Greateatsf1161VIPDined on 7/17/2014Very good quality North Indian food. Owner who cares if you are having a good experience.Special Features:
- Best Indian Restaurant in Bay Arealuv2dineVIPDined on 7/14/2014You can not beat this place in the Bay Area. The food is wonderful, plus they offer specials every month that do not appear on any other menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good Indian foodElsieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Stick to the good Indian food here--chicken tikka masala, the good prawns from the roti, regualar naan, all of it yummy. avoid the calamari and the samosas need work. good service and good wine list.Special Features:
- Great foodlookfarVIPDined on 7/3/2014We brought our out of town guests to Roti and had a fabulous dinner. The owner is friendly and helpful about menu suggestions. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodastoriajaneDined on 6/27/2014Roti is my fiancé's and my go to spot. We never leave without feeling completely satisfied, taken care of, and eager to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2014We love it here! The food is always 5 star with the service stellar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KuzeyDined on 6/22/2014We are frequent (weekly) goers to this restaurant. We are not Indians but we love Indian food. Roti serves the best indian food in Bay Area (we sampled all Palo Alto, Mountain View, SF). Chicken Tikka is awesome even for someone does not like chicken! And the owner or manager, is such a sweet and polite guy, asks each time how the everything is. Usually, the service is great. This time, perhaps they were a bit understaffed so it was a bit slower than last time but in general everything is great.Special Features:
- ExcellentPortalFindDined on 6/20/2014Always great food and service. Have not had a bad experience..Special Features:
- Great Indian foodScottDined on 6/17/2014Great Indian food. Good service. Very nice owner who cares. One tomato based vegetable dish wasn't that good. The tomato sauce on that one just didn't work. But Masala or korma sauces are excellent. A bit loud at times. and if your at the wrong tables, the sun reflecting off cars and building hits your eyes hard. Otherwise great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experienceRDfoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2014Exceptional neighborhood restaurants like Roti are one thing that make San Francisco such a wonderful place to live. The food was delicious -- much better than a lot of Indian cuisine we've had in the Bay Area. The flavors seemed fresh and very well-balanced. Our server was friendly and attentive. All in all, this turned out to be a great way to celebrate Father's Day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/5/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Food is incredible. Owner and staff are friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Great serviceKimberlyMDined on 6/4/2014We have a dairy allergy in our family and our server was very helpful to guide us toward Roti's great dairy-free options. Wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Tasted LackingneutralPartyDined on 6/1/2014We ordered two different reds and they both tasted the same. I don't drink a lot of wine, but my girl does like her wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A West Portal LegendJamieJSFDined on 5/30/2014Yes. Legend. Legendary Indian food this delicious is not easy to find. One of our quaint little neighborhood's hidden gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roti is our favoriteNeekVIPDined on 5/27/2014We love Roti and have been dining with them for a few years. The food is consistently very good, and we've enjoyed trying the specials.Special Features:
- Great to be backFoodieDined on 5/25/2014Good was great. Had a wonderful time. Will be back again with friends.Special Features:
- Very good neighborhood spotElsieVIPDined on 5/25/2014Interesting and reliable Indian food with good specials. Delicious naan and tandoori. My one criticism is that the prawns are somewhat overcooked. But highly recommend.Special Features: