Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
53 West Portal Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rotibistro.com/
- Phone: 4156657684x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 1:45pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:15pm
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Fusion / Eclectic, Indian
- Executive Chef: Divender Pal Singh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Inquire with restaurant management.
- Private Party Facilities: Inquire with restaurant management about our private room available for large parties, banquets and receptions.
- Private Party Contact: Pankaj Shah 4156657684x
- Special Events: Large Private Room available for up to 50 people - ideal for parties, office meetings, birthdays, and receptions.
A word from Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco
When brothers Ash and Rajiv Gujral planned a new Indian restaurant, they wanted to create neither an ultra-formal dining room nor a tiny hole in the wall venue. ROTI Indian Bistro marries casual, contemporary styling to classic Indian cuisine. Designer Susan Gujral created a warm, modern space with dramatic color, light and imagery that portrays the rich aesthetic essence of India. The chefs take diners on a culinary tour of India, offering a taste of the North in the Tandoori meat dishes and hints of the South in the vegetarian curries. Fresh breads are available from the tandoor, a mesquite- fired clay oven unique to Indian cooking. Local and organic ingredients blend with traditional Indian spices to create a diverse fresh, menu. ROTI prides itself on the dining experience - at this popular new addition to the vibrant West Portal neighborhood, refined customer service from the attentive staff and fabulous food have established a higher standard of dining for the area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Forest Hill / West Portal ›
Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (35)special occasion (16)good for groups (14)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (5)romantic (5)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- First experienceGinger2VIPDined on 9/25/2014This was my first visit to Roti for dinner and the food was great and I will be back. I appreciated the wine list, the way it is put together you won't make a choice that doesn't go well with any of the dishes.Special Features:
- Never fails. Ever.PaulVIPDined on 9/9/2014Best Indian food outside of the U.K and India. Wish it was in the Mission so I could walk to!Special Features:
- CharmingFoggyVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is definitely a neighborhood find. Excellent food (if it takes a while to get to your table, be happy! It means that it is being freshly prepared!) we had the chicken appetizer and the basket of nan. Those two items could have been a whole meal. Both were excellent, the variety of nan was wonderful. I had a special and my husband had a shrimp,dish that came covered with spinach. Both were very good, and not too hot. The owner brought us a hot sauce to try along with a yogurt dipping sauce. The hot sauce was great, lots of heat, actual flavor and no lingering burn. The yogurt did was also very good, and nice to have with the hot sauce. We did not have desert.Special Features:
- Great eats, a bit priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014Always delicious and the owner is very friendly and accommodating. While still on the pricey side, probably not a big deal for most wealthy foodies. Too bad it's not more affordable to those who should enjoy great fare at more affordable prices.Special Features:
- Disappointingluv2dineDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I have been looking (for years) for a great Indian restaurant. We tried this once before (take out) and it was good so we went back to the restaurant. The noise level was almost unbearable. The food was most disappointing. Won't be going back.Special Features:
- Very pleasant dining experieneJaniceDined on 9/2/2014We like the food there very much, and the welcoming staff and excellent service make it a very favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!foodiegrrlVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great food and friendly owner and staff. Everything we've tried has been great. They also have some interesting monthly seasonal specials.Special Features:
- Ask for the spiceDreamcatcherDined on 8/22/2014Fantastic as always. I love ordering the Navrattan Korma because you always get a different mix of delicious fruits & vegetables. Chicken Tikka Masala is always a favorite. I'll be backSpecial Features:
- greatcooksportsDined on 8/22/2014great, great, great, great, great, great, and greater than greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian, far from Union SqOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Worth the long taxi drive... Truly a nice neighborhood gem, very decent price n great quality. Very satisfied!!!Special Features:
- Best Indian FoodsfDinerDined on 7/30/2014We were a group of 4, one a strict vegan. There were fantastic dishes available for all of us on the "specials" menu. I had the bhuna gosht (lamb) which was superb. I tasted each of the other dishes. All were perfectly balanced in tastes. The Chicken Tikka Masala had an awesome smoked flavour that came though - delicious! I highly recommend the Aachar Pachranga (pickle plate) very unusual if you're not used to Indian food. The wine pairing is carefully selected to compliment the dishes. We had a Barolo which went with the spiced dishes very nicely. Service was good - not too pushy. Warning: it's very easy to over-order by a lot. We ended up taking a whole dish home with us - but it was delicious the next day!Special Features:
- A perfect spot for Indian FoodSFVisitorDined on 7/28/2014This is a hidden gem in West Portal. Exceptional service, fabulous (although a bit too spicy at times for me) food -- tucked away in a cozy little nook in West Portal. Very intimate and fun. I love to take guests there -- always an adventure. They really care about their customers and it shows!Special Features:
- We're home!PJDivaVIPDined on 7/24/2014After travelling for weeks, we wondered where we would eat when we returned home. Roti! Excellent food, rice (I'm Chinese, so that's important), and a comfortable setting with welcoming staff. It did not disappoint. We had the lamb special in a flavorful and spicy curry, a creamy chicken curry, and paleek paneer (spinach and cheese). My mouth is watering just writing this review. When I know I want a great meal each time, I got to Roti.Special Features:
- luv2dineVIPDined on 7/22/2014Our favorite Indian restaurant in the Bay Area. You cannot go wrong here. My husband always has the butter chicken. I love their tandori game hen as well as some of the lamb specials. The goat cheese is yummy. The owner/manager is very attentive and very personable.Special Features:
- Always Greateatsf1161VIPDined on 7/17/2014Very good quality North Indian food. Owner who cares if you are having a good experience.Special Features:
- Best Indian Restaurant in Bay Arealuv2dineVIPDined on 7/14/2014You can not beat this place in the Bay Area. The food is wonderful, plus they offer specials every month that do not appear on any other menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good Indian foodElsieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Stick to the good Indian food here--chicken tikka masala, the good prawns from the roti, regualar naan, all of it yummy. avoid the calamari and the samosas need work. good service and good wine list.Special Features:
- Great foodlookfarVIPDined on 7/3/2014We brought our out of town guests to Roti and had a fabulous dinner. The owner is friendly and helpful about menu suggestions. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodastoriajaneDined on 6/27/2014Roti is my fiancé's and my go to spot. We never leave without feeling completely satisfied, taken care of, and eager to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2014We love it here! The food is always 5 star with the service stellar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 659 reviews are from the Roti Indian Bistro - San Francisco reviews archive.
- KuzeyDined on 6/22/2014We are frequent (weekly) goers to this restaurant. We are not Indians but we love Indian food. Roti serves the best indian food in Bay Area (we sampled all Palo Alto, Mountain View, SF). Chicken Tikka is awesome even for someone does not like chicken! And the owner or manager, is such a sweet and polite guy, asks each time how the everything is. Usually, the service is great. This time, perhaps they were a bit understaffed so it was a bit slower than last time but in general everything is great.Special Features:
- ExcellentPortalFindDined on 6/20/2014Always great food and service. Have not had a bad experience..Special Features:
- Great Indian foodScottDined on 6/17/2014Great Indian food. Good service. Very nice owner who cares. One tomato based vegetable dish wasn't that good. The tomato sauce on that one just didn't work. But Masala or korma sauces are excellent. A bit loud at times. and if your at the wrong tables, the sun reflecting off cars and building hits your eyes hard. Otherwise great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overall experienceRDfoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2014Exceptional neighborhood restaurants like Roti are one thing that make San Francisco such a wonderful place to live. The food was delicious -- much better than a lot of Indian cuisine we've had in the Bay Area. The flavors seemed fresh and very well-balanced. Our server was friendly and attentive. All in all, this turned out to be a great way to celebrate Father's Day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/5/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Food is incredible. Owner and staff are friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Great serviceKimberlyMDined on 6/4/2014We have a dairy allergy in our family and our server was very helpful to guide us toward Roti's great dairy-free options. Wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Tasted LackingneutralPartyDined on 6/1/2014We ordered two different reds and they both tasted the same. I don't drink a lot of wine, but my girl does like her wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A West Portal LegendJamieJSFDined on 5/30/2014Yes. Legend. Legendary Indian food this delicious is not easy to find. One of our quaint little neighborhood's hidden gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roti is our favoriteNeekVIPDined on 5/27/2014We love Roti and have been dining with them for a few years. The food is consistently very good, and we've enjoyed trying the specials.Special Features:
- Great to be backFoodieDined on 5/25/2014Good was great. Had a wonderful time. Will be back again with friends.Special Features:
- Very good neighborhood spotElsieVIPDined on 5/25/2014Interesting and reliable Indian food with good specials. Delicious naan and tandoori. My one criticism is that the prawns are somewhat overcooked. But highly recommend.Special Features:
- always deliciouscrunchieDined on 5/24/2014I love this place. The food is great, pleasant atmosphere, the people who run it are very nice. It is my favorite Indian dinner in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Roti'sRotiDined on 5/24/2014I love this restaurant. My husband and I come out to the city about once a month and we know there are other restaurants out there to try but always come back to this spot because the food is AMAZING!! Fresh, well prepared delicious food!!! WE love the manager and the chef's there and servers always remember us and make us feel at home. We recommend this restaurant to everyone we know!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeavenlyPJDivaVIPDined on 5/23/2014Who knew cauliflower could be so heavenly? Their May special has an entire head of cauliflower cooked in spices and is beautiful when it is brought to the table. Everyone around us gawked and asked but we got the pleasure of tasting this beauty. David our waiter is o knowledgeable and professional. We love eating here and always bring leftovers for another meal (which is delicious too). Vegetarians and meat eaters will find many choices on their menu.Special Features:
- Tasty food & friendly staffMinkeDined on 5/20/2014Once again I had an enjoyable meal at Roti. The staff is always very friendly and accommodating. Our waiter graciously ordered our starters to contain five of everything to suit the number in our group. So helpful of him. I had the special of a whole cauliflower in a creamy sauce that tasted better than I expected. 'Spicy' was in the title so I was a little concerned it'd be too hot but it wasn't. It was absolutely delicious and the spices balanced very well. I'd order it every time if I could. This was the second time I've enjoyed one of their amazing veg specials. Everyone else enjoyed their meals (and taste of my cauliflower). Everyone I speak to always speak very highly of Roti. Definitely check it out if you haven't been!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JodyDined on 5/16/2014This is one of my favorite places. The service is fast and friendly, the food is some of the best I have had and in general I will definitely be back. The garlic naan was wonderful, the lamb korma mouth watering, the chicken tikki masala as good as I have had anywhere.Special Features:
- West Portal GemPJDivaVIPDined on 5/4/2014Love the food at this restaurant. They have a May special using an entire head of cauliflower that's tender and oh so good! We had two different dishes of lamb (one with tomatoes and the other, cream) . The sauces were so yummy. We always look forward to dining at Roti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/30/2014All 4 of us enjoyed our meals. Especially like the tandoori preparation - not as many calories. :-)Special Features:
- Hi end IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/28/2014Consistently grest food. Friendly owner greets diners, a very nice touch.Special Features:
- Best Indian Restaurant in SFwhats4dinnerVIPDined on 4/21/2014We have lived in SF for over 30 years, and have tried it all. Roti is by far the best Indian restaurant we have ever tried. Amazing food, outstanding service, great selection, and extremely nice owner who is there on most nights. This restaurant is a true neighborhood gem and a MUST TRY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.