Rosso @ Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza
901 W. 48th Place
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Rosso @ Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hotelsorella-countryclubplaza.com/rosso.htm
- Phone: (816) 437-8420
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Lunch and Dinner (dinner hours as follow)
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Brian Archibald
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza offers 4,000 square feet of Banquet space for any occasion.
Rosso offers dining and drinking space, in two semi-private dinning areas or alongside our large poolside terrace for al fresco occasions. With a full bar and tantalizing menu, this is the chic destination for any event or occasion.
Enjoy great celebrations, networking or just gathering with good friends for a cocktail and an exceptional meal at our Restaurant and Bar in Country Club Plaza.
- Private Party Contact: Meghan Murphy x
A word from Rosso @ Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza
Rosso (pronounced ROHS-soh), or red in Italian, serving modern Italian dishes atop beautiful Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza. The culinary team carefully selects some of the freshest locally sourced ingredients to develop flavors that will inspire you. The views from the rooftop is one that is reminiscent of the hill town of Italy, boasting incredible views from above. Bar Rosso featuring original and classic cocktails, is the place to see and be seen whether your lounging poolside on the rooftop terrace or enjoying the 100 foot mural depicting the Palio di Siena, the “Running of the Horses’, a bi-annual event in Siena, that brings each unique Italian neighborhood together to celebrate in the festival. Portraying that message of a ‘sense of festival’ filling the space with an ambiance and sense of celebration and pageantry.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Rosso @ Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza - Best Restaurants in Kansas City ›
Rosso @ Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (35)special occasion (34)romantic (29)fit for foodies (22)notable wine list (16)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (7)good for groups (7)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Spectacular in every way. Will return often.CathyDined on 11/18/2014Business dinner for 2. Amazing food, view, wine & atmosphere. Our server was "on the ball" and took great personal care. We chose to share several plates which was a delight. Bar had a "hip" atmosphere - want to go there just for appetizers and drinks on a future visit. The view of the pool spectacular. Very top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MondialVIPDined on 11/5/2014Service is still not great. Think it might be a kitchen problem. Only one server for lunch and he was the bartender as well. Neat spot, but they need to get their act together!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Birthday Dinner!EsquireDined on 10/22/2014I took my girlfriend here for our first time on her birthday, which happened to fall on the same night as the second game of the World Series. Needless to say, while every sports bar in Kansas City was packed with rabid Royals fans, we literally were the only patrons in Rosso! We were greeted warmly by the hostess and seated in a white-leather, half moon booth overlooking the Plaza. Our server was outstanding. The Sunday Gravy and Braised Beef Rib were both delicious! This is an upscale restaurant with modern décor and a great view of the Plaza. Be prepared to spend a couple hundred dollars for two for dinner and drinks, but worth it for special occasions. Bravo Rosso!Special Features:
- Vegetarian Birthday Dinner2happytouristsDined on 10/17/2014Mmmmm the heirloom asparagus or the baby beet salad, ok both...onward to Rossoto Verde, lemon Raviloi, salted Carmel gelato, shortbread with pistachio smear, chianti, a great view at sundown and an attentive staff. We enjoyed our birthday dinner. The taste of the food was equaled by the beauty of the presentation.Special Features:
- Great Addition to Kansas CityEnturiaVIPDined on 10/10/2014Looking down on the Plaza and Brush Creek, this 7th floor hotel restaurant offers elegance and high-end cuisine.Special Features:
- mostly outstandingkathy12VIPDined on 9/26/2014The menu, like so many these days, is not really arranged by courses. We had four dishes - one from the appetizer menu (a salad) and one from the "al forno" section (octopus and large white beans with romanesco sauce) and two pastas (that section is labeled "primi" - fitting with the Italian tradition of having pasta as first course), the gnocchi with sausage and the lemon-ricotta ravioli. All but the salad were quite simply outstanding. While the salad was fine, it was just not very interesting, whereas the other three dishes were perfectly cooked, and quite inventive with lovely flavors. The service was discreet, friendly and efficient. Finally, as many have noted, the room is sleek and sexy, and the view lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We had a fantastic anniversary dinner at Rosso. I must admit that I thought it would be "pretty nice," but nothing spectacular. Well, I was wrong. The views overlooking The Plaza and palatial Ward Parkway homes while nestled in a warm, pleasant table was really romantic. The wine list may not be extensive as The American's (for example), but it is of the highest caliber. The sommelier is a level 3 and personally selected the menu. He came to our table and patiently gave us a lesson on French regions, vintages, and vintners. We were in heaven, and then we started eating. The meat and cheese tray was ABUNDANT and delicious, the lamb was one of the best things we've ever eaten, and our entrees (sirloin and seared ahi) were top notch.Special Features:
- We wanted to like it, but...PlazaRUsDined on 9/20/2014The food, in a word, intense. Too intense. I belong to the clean plate club but struggled to enjoy more than a few bites of each item. Atmosphere was great but could not overcome food issues to warrant a return visit.Special Features:
- luvtoeatDined on 9/10/2014I was hesitant about trying the restaurant after several persons had been negative about service; however, our waitress was outstanding. She went out of her way to accommodate our requests and made sure we were served in a timely manner as we had theatre tickets. The cocktail waitress from the bar even went out of her way to validate a ticket and call valet when the hostess was not available. Good experience, I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ambiance and serviceCrazyChefVIPDined on 9/8/2014We came here to celebrate our anniversary. Love the romantic setting and full window view outside. The food was beautifully presented. I'm not sure we would return for the food but definitely the atmosphere. My husband had the lamb ribs which he didn't care for. I had the steak. It was fine. Salads were probably the best part of the meal! Doug our server was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As Good As It GetsMaggie60657VIPDined on 9/6/2014Definitely a great place for a birthday bash! Stellar service, great food and an atmosphere that can't be beat! It was truly memorable!Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewsAshleyVDined on 9/5/2014The complimentary valet was lovely. The hotel lobby is a very pretty space. After stepping out of the elevator onto the 7th floor we were hit by the noise from the bar. We made a pit stop at the bathrooms, also lovely (and a good indicator of restaurant cleanliness, I've found). Making our way to the hostess stand we basically had to shout out the name that our reservation was under. However, the dining room was much quieter than I feared it would be. And the view is absolutely spectatular. Floor to ceiling windows facing out onto the south end of the Plaza. Very pretty. The hamachi was just ok. The fennel topping the ravioli was flavorless. The spaghetti with meatballs was good. The Sunday Gravy and chocolate dessert were to die for!Special Features:
- Incredible viewEatingadventurerDined on 9/1/2014The dining experience was great. We've tried to eat here before but could never get a reservation. The view is fantastic, but the server was a little less than enthusiastic. I love a waiter that is upbeat regarding the menu. Overall, the experience was positive.Special Features:
- Service ExcellenceKSUBEEJVIPDined on 8/22/2014Rosso is consistency delicious. The menu offers a unique varieties to select. The wine list offers a variety. Service is exceptional. Doug assisted us and was very informative and kind. We had a larger group of 6 dinning. 2 people joined us late and he was very attentive to them. Once our check arrived he graciously split the check with great accuracy. I will continue to dine at Rosso for the wonderful food, service, and fine dining. I must recommend the beets, chicken, and ahi tuna.Special Features:
- A surreal experiencebjhatawayVIPDined on 8/16/2014With the highest of hopes, my husband and I chose to entertain his daughter and son-in-law at Rosso. We were excited about the views and for awhile the noise level was fine. I don't even want to go to specifics but I will say that on the drive home, we both couldn't help but feel duped. Every person from bartender to maitre d' to waiter obviously felt we were too old to be there and I don't remember one eye contact with any employee unless it was the maitre d' who did look at me to tell me our table was late. When I requested he come to the bar for us when our table was ready, he looked like I just asked for the moon. This was a very unwelcoming experience.Special Features:
- Great addition to the PlazaStompkinVIPDined on 8/10/2014Rosso is definitely worth checking out. Italian theme with a lot of variety, not your typical pasta dishes. Steak was good, fish is great, and the Sunday Gravy was outstanding. Great for a special occasion, or just to get away from the noise of the other plaza staples.Special Features:
- Best Place in KCOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Lisa was phenomenal. The service and food was incredible!Special Features:
- We celebrated our 28th anniversary.WichitaLuvBirdsDined on 8/7/2014Although the food was very creative and fabulous the menu was a bit restrictive. Our dining experience was very memorable, tasty, beautiful. We love the contemporary European to decor. The patrons seated in the table next to us were a little bit too raucous for our mood but we were able to overlook it. We will plan to visit again next time we are at the Plaza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 116 reviews are from the Rosso @ Hotel Sorella Country Club Plaza reviews archive.
- RossoJJR1Dined on 7/25/2014Great food and fantastic service but the noise level from the bar area was painfully loud. We went on a Friday night and I would not recommend anyone going on a weekend unless you bring hearing protection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeds expectations, Great timeKatyDined on 7/21/2014My husband and I were looking for a different dining experience for our anniversary. We wanted a rooftop restaurant overlooking Kansas City to enjoy the summer evening. We discovered Rosso, were excited to learn of its Italian menu, and quickly made a reservation. We were blown away by the kind wait staff, the swanky decor and comfy white leather circular booths, overlooking The Plaza's Ward Parkway through their floor-to-ceiling south side windows. Our server was very knowledgeable about the wine/drink list, in addition to giving great recommendations on their menu. After a wonderful dining experience, we ventured to the Bar Rosso's outside patio - complete with a infinity lap pool - for drinks and night views of the Plaza below.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food/ Needs better servicePolakronVIPDined on 7/21/2014Hotel service (valet) excellent! Hotel has beautiful ambience. Restaurant is a mixed review. Great food!! Chef mixed foods very creatively and with great flavor ~ especially gnocchi, beet salad, and cauliflower!! Service was adequate. My husband wrote that it was our 5th anniversary on Open Table. (Obviously didn't read and/or care) We also told our server, who talked about a complimentary house dessert. (Didn't happen - oh well) We have spent every other anniversary at the Capital Grill, where we got engaged. Our server was fine. However, for these prices, your restaurant is not giving the excellent service the hotel did. It is also not giving the excellent service other restaurants do for this price range.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014Views tremendous, food was good but overpriced for amount given, menu was confusing, service was terrible-Special Features:
- DavidDined on 7/12/2014Great atmosphere and trendy feel but pricey. Braised ribs were good, scallops just OK. Corn chowder was the highlight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique/Great View/Great Foodbradg60Dined on 7/5/2014A great view over the Plaza neighborhood. A good wine menu. The food menu is somewhat confusing and needs a waiter explanation. Be forewarned…don't order the meat and cheese starter slate and then get a big entrée. You'll regret it and it's a waste of $$$. They are NOT stingy with the meat and cheese. Pick a smaller entrée (which is not listed under 'entrée'…see the problem?). The ravioli with crab in lemon sauce is nice, small, and really delicious. Just the right amount of food with a nice hint of lemon. All in all, a great experience we'll do again. Next time we've decided just to do the meat and cheese with a nice bottle of wine and enjoy the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique food, great ambienceCalypsoDined on 7/5/2014Rosso's, on the top floor of the brand new Hotel Sorella, is a "must go to" restaurant. Everyone with some class needs to experience the place at least once. Situated 7 stories above the Country Club Plaza, it overlooks the peaceful Brush Creek area. The lounge area was far too loud even just stepping off the elevator, but the restaurant was a little better. They also have outdoor seating. Service was excellent, and food was so unique and delicious. My husband and I were highly impressed with the chef's ability to successfully combine flavors that you wouldn't normally consider. Rosso's cocktails and wine list left little to be desired, as well. And their dessert (we had a chocolate and hazelnut mouse) was heavenly. 5 stars, recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+++ for ambiance-food great too!wedinewellVIPDined on 7/5/2014Whether you are traveling or a KC local - this is a very special place to enjoy a great meal, great conversation (you can actually hear here!), and AWESOME ambiance. Inside the actual dining area is very chic (shades of Z Gallery personified) and a killer modern fire place, a great bar area, and small but really cool outdoor area around the pool. Food is good to sometimes great - depends on dish; salmon and ahi are great - as are most salads. Spaghetti and meatballs was very bland. Still definitely worth the visit!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, excellent serviceFoodieMomDined on 6/28/2014My young family ate early before heading to a game (we were also staying at the hotel), and they were wonderful. They had kid-friendly options, while also catering to a more adult palette. My husband and I shared the beet salad, fried polenta, and gnocchi--all of which were delicious. We wanted more! My youngest daughter had bucatini (hollow spaghetti) with meatballs--something not exactly on their menu, but they accommodated her. She ate almost the whole plate (and we helped her finish it off!). My other picky eater was satisfied with a PBJ. Later we enjoyed the salted caramel gelato, which was also outstanding. The view was gorgeous from the 7th floor of the hotel--and I could completely foresee coming back as a couple to enjoy it.Special Features:
- A fantastic dining experienceKCRestaurantReviewerVIPDined on 6/27/2014I dined at Rosso this past Friday night. It was so good, I went back Saturday. Complimentary valet parking. The view is great (if you want a window side table, request that when making your reservation). We started with an antipasti platter, nice selection of cheese and prosciutto. Exquisite mustard that taste sweet at the start with a spicy, horseradish finish. Very nice wine list. I asked the waiter if the kitchen could do flash fried spinach (its not on the menu). Very few restaurants in US that know how to do this dish correctly and Rosso nailed it. The first night I had the braised beef short rib. It was delectable, fall off the bone tender. The second night I had the Drunken Meatballs and they were very good. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014five star restaurant at reasonable prices. definitely will return the next time we are in Kansas CitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarginalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014The experience got off to a slow start. We showed up for our reservation early so we grabbed a drink in the bar. Then right at 8 our reservation time we went to sit and our table wasn't ready, isn't that the point of a reservation, to have your table readyd when you get there? Once seated the service was even slower. I understand the leisurely dining experience but this seems excessive. Tables of people who showed up after us got their food and were gone quite faster than us. Then there was the table behind us. Must have been someone the manager knew well because he was at the table pretty much the whole time feeding them wine. They were quite loud. Didn't help that they kept multiplying each time I looked at them. Not going back.Special Features:
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014The bar was extremely slow on the Saturday night we visited. The waitress seemed to be overloaded also. Service was slow but apologenic.Special Features:
- Great ViewHungrymanVIPDined on 6/13/2014The view of the Plaza is nice. We found the food to be reasonably priced and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchLunchDined on 6/10/2014Enjoyed lunch at the impressive new restaurant. The service was terrific. Everyone was very friendly. The restaurant has a huge fireplace behind glass. It was cozy on a rainy day. The view overlooking Ward Parkway was fascinating to watch. Luncheon menu was reasonably priced. I enjoyed the pasta and meatball dish. The sandwiches were excellent. Desserts were fabulous with many coffees to choose from. The Bloody Mary drinks were made with their own mix, which appeared to have a clamato taste. The bar is sunken near a lap pool. Enjoyed seeing the hotel as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAJ1Dined on 6/7/2014We dined last Sat. evening and had such a pleasant, lovely time. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. The view was beautiful. The food was excellent. We tried the soft shell crab special and loved the presentation. I have recommended the restaurant to several friends.Special Features:
- Great food & serviceYukipooksDined on 5/31/2014This place was so good the ambiance was great as was the food. Interesting & yummy drink menu, I loved every thing I ate - the soft shell crab was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningRG76VIPDined on 5/31/2014Everything about our evening at Rosso was first-rate. The hostess seated us at a prime table given that we'd arrived before our reservation time, the service was attentive but not overwhelming, the meal was one of the best dinners we've had in the past year in Kansas City, and the view was incredible. We will definitely go back and have already recommended this place to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/26/2014Bought a $75 bottle of champagne and server never poured into our glasses. Did not bring silverware with our main course - we had to ask for it to start eating. Dis not offer cracked peoper with salads, served americano when we ordered cappuccino
- Beautiful view, excellent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014Food was unbelievable. My husband loves a good steak. We have traveled many places and he has tried many steaks. The beef tenderloin at Rosso was the best steak he's ever had. The food was not only beautifully presented but it was excellent. The bar is a bit loud. Otherwise staff was great, and the view is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New FindJANBDined on 5/10/2014Loved the restaurant - great ambiance, beautiful presentation and delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elleshizzleDined on 5/10/2014The service and cocktails were great. The good was just eh. Seems like it would be great for late night cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.