2298 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rosescafesf.com/
- Phone: 4157752200x
- Hours of Operation:
AM menu: Monday - Friday: 7:00 Am - 4:30 pm;
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 am - 9:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm;
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Fusion / Eclectic, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mark Gordon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Rose's Cafe
A favorite in the Cow Hollow neighborhood, Rose's Café is a hangout for locals who bask in the sun at sidewalk tables, duck inside for a cappuccino, or stay for a leisurely meal. Many customers are regulars who frequent the pretty bistro-café that offers table service and some of the most deliciously affordable food in San Francisco - Italian fare created using organic local produce, fresh seafood, humanely raised meats, and free-range poultry. Rose's artisan bakers bake a daily selection of pastries, desserts and breads. Menu highlights include: pizzas, daily soups and house made pasta. Accepting Reservations for Dinner Only! Parties of 6 or more may be charged an 18% gratuity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rose's Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)great for brunch (22)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (18)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (11)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (8)special occasion (7)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Roses RulesAlexav2mDined on 8/15/2014Out server was exceptional, the food was delicious and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marina area findElf13Dined on 7/29/2014This was a short walk from the house we were staying in during our week in San Francisco. Our meal was delicious and met our expectations. Fresh and not heavy. I would definitely recommend .Special Features:
- Not as good as it lookssfloveDined on 7/27/2014Rose Cafe looks so cute and quaint from the pictures, almost like the perfect neighborhood cozy brunch/dinner spot. But the menu is limited and the food was incredibly greasy - I think I gained 4 pounds at dinner. And I ate the salmon - it was oozing with oil, as were the vegetables on the side. 2 of my friends couldn't even pick something off the main course menu and just got appetizers. Wine was pretty good but this place was an overall let-down.Special Features:
- A Rose by any other name...Cream2puffVIPDined on 7/13/2014Time and time again we return to this neighborhood gem, even though it is not our neighborhood. Servers are very helpful in suggesting what might be especially enjoyable for a great dining experience. Kudos to the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place to Eat on Union StreetalanbillVIPDined on 7/9/2014Delightful café style mostly Italian restaurant with a modern touch. Small selection of excellent wines with easy to navigate menu. We had a couple of young children who are relatives visiting and the waiter really sensed their special needs. It is a bit noisy but not bad by SF standards. The location on Union Street gives it a charming neighborhood feel. It is somewhat unique in having outdoor dining, although we sat indoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AddieVIPDined on 7/8/2014Love this place. Everything about it. Good food, great service, cheery atmosphere. Definite a repeat!Special Features:
- Pretty place, limited menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014The best thing about this restaurant is the décor. They advertise themselves as Northern Italian, but, quite frankly the food tastes nothing like quality Northern Italian food, and their menu is super-limited! I ordered a gnocchi dish with 1 slice (1 slice!!) of zucchini minced on top, no sauce, and strips of cheese draped on top that looked, and tasted, like PLASTIC! The eggplant appetizer was presented in a watery tomato sauce with no particular flavor, and covered with a gooey layer of utterly tasteless cheese. It could really have been warmed industrial glue - not really sure. Cute restaurant though, with decent service. In a foodie town such as SAN FRANCISCO there are so many better choices for a good Italian meal.
- Excellent flavor blendingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The chef & staff put together a great menu the night we ate there! They blended the fresh ingredients perfectly to make a number of excellent dishes - we tasted 4 of them from salad to pizza. The peach, onion, ricotta pizza was the favorite of our group of foodies!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AddieVIPDined on 6/24/2014Consistently good -- in all areas: food, service, just pleasant surroundings. Plus, they "take dogs," if you sit outside. Wonderful find.Special Features:
- dutchessDined on 6/23/2014After looking at the menu of several cafe's on line we picked Rose's Café. This was our first visit and most likely our last. My daughter and I ordered the pork loin that came with kale and beans, which we expected to be green beans. What was supposed to be pork loin was a not too tender pork chop with kale and a large portion of brown beans. When we told the waitress we ordered pork loin she said the chop was cut form the loin. My granddaughter ordered the gnocchi which was not very tasty (she left more than half on her plate). A very disappointing dinner for what for the three us was a celebration.
- Hospitality at its best!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/6/2014Rose's truly is hospitality at its best: cozy atmosphere, friendly and efficient service and really delicious food. I love their thin crust pizzas in particular, and I like that they offer carafes (2.5 glasses) in addition to wines by the glass and by the bottle. An all around great spot!Special Features:
- Great FindtheaDined on 5/31/2014A friend and I came here for a light, early dinner on our way to a show. We had salad and pasta accompanied by a wonderful wine. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the wine list and pairing with our foods and tastes. He also recommended dessert which was equally satisfying. I originally found Rosie's when on a romantic date. It's a small Cafe with a great atmosphere and super staff.Special Features:
- Like FamilymindmavenVIPDined on 5/27/2014I eat there so often they consider us like family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotPortlandersDined on 5/24/2014Delicious Italian food, made with local ingredients. We walked by the night before and smelled the garlic. Decided to try it for dinner and were wowed from the appetizer to the dessert. A nice touch is the option of a glass, carafe or bottle of wine. A great find away from North Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rose's never disappointsmm0817VIPDined on 5/10/2014awesome solid food with excellent fresh ingredients and you can sit outdoors (under heaters if typical SF weather!). we love this place..can't get enough of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 120 reviews are from the Rose's Cafe reviews archive.
- QuaintBellaSummer14Dined on 4/30/2014Good offerings of popular bistro dining fare. Had the linguini with clams which was cooked just right and perfect for a warm night in San Francisco.Special Features:
- AddieVIPDined on 4/22/2014Consistently good place -- on all levels. Def. a repeat.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureCream2puffVIPDined on 4/20/2014Truly a neighborhood gem. Enjoy a return visit often.Special Features:
- Lovely but a little bit expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014ambience was very good, the Gemelli weren't very delicious for the price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Their roast chicken is theregularcustomerDined on 3/27/2014Their roast chicken is the best, a good size serving with plenty to take home for next day's lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lilacs, no. Rose's YESCream2puffVIPDined on 3/16/2014Consistently excellent preparation of delicious food. A most enjoyable neighborhood dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Wonderful Dinner at Rose'sOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/6/2014Rose's is a neighborhood gem with both indoor and outdoor dining. The menu changes frequently but there are always a few favorites that remain. Ask the waiters about what they like and you will always get a good recommendation. Always a fun time. Enjoy !Special Features:
- The shine is off the roseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/3/2014I've always considered this a lunch place and remember when it served lots of"lunchy" things that were pretty much bread based. Now it seems Rose is trying to masquerade as a dinner restaurant. It didn't fool us. Few selections but in a wide range of categories, antipasti, pasta, pizza, sandwiches, salads, entrees. I ordered what sounded interesting--braised artichokes with prosciutto and goat cheese. Turned out the artichokes were braised long ago--before a mass manufacturer put them in a jar. My husband's pizza was poor. An Italian, he ate just about half and pushed it away. My companion's pork loin turned out to be a pork chop. She's a regular and wouldn't say much else about it. And wow was it noisy. A neighborhood place that is no gem!
- Rose's not good for a large groupkateh2814Dined on 12/31/2013Had a table for 7 on New Year's Eve, our server was having a bad night, didn't write down our order and had to go over it with us verbally three times. Asked for bubbly water twice and it never came and ditto for a few drinks. Ordered champagne and wine, had to ask three times. When food came it was plunked down in front of whomever with no regard to who ordered what so we rejostled everything ourselves. Our table was billed a mandatory 20% service charge, fair enough on New Year's Eve, but our server seemed to have that in the back of her mind as she chatted with other servers and watched the clock, virtually ignoring us all night. Food was great but I'll never go there with a large party again, very disappointing.
- Solid like a rockmindmavenVIPDined on 12/30/2013Local neighborhood gem. Good pastas, pizza, chicken, salads, soups Quiet enough for conversation. Friendly and efficient wait staff. a regular place for quiet comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Little CafeKristenPDined on 12/13/2013Loved the feel of this cafe from the minute we walked in. It had a nice charm to it and the staff was very welcoming. We dined early so it wasn't crowded or noisy, and the service was fast without being rushed. Great food, good wine...we loved it. Will definitely be back and will recommend this to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSmittymanVIPDined on 11/16/2013Having been to this restaurant a few times and having a good experience, was looking forward to another good meal. Unfortunately, the experience on the latest visit was very disappointing. The 2 entrees ordered were mediocre at best, and well below expectations especially for entrees that were nearly $30 apiece. My wife had the snapper which was very bland, and the accompanying vegetables were barely edible. My dish was the skirt steak, which didn't taste bad but the serving size was about that of an appetizer. Way too small for nearly $30. Needless to say, we won't be going back or recommending this place to others.
- great all round cozy sceneveggieloverDined on 11/8/2013very friendly, accomodating, relaxed, welcoming. Two of us had a pizza which was divinely crisp. The other two had fish and chicken entrees, which they claimed to love as well. Even though we were all pretty full after almost licking out plates clean we couldn't resist the pana cotta dessert with 4 spoons. No regrets there! It was light, tangy and a perfect closure to a lovely evening. Great buzz and cozy atmosphere. Soft lighting, but not so low that you couldn't really connect with your table. I hate dark restaurants. Would highly recommend to anyone!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of disappointingKimMDined on 11/2/2013The service here is great but the food was bland and overpriced. The furniture and carpet are getting tired as well. Pleasant but in San Francisco that is not high praise
- Last minuteAliceVIPDined on 10/15/2013I've heard about this italian café and i was in this neighborhood with a friend, we were hungry so i've reserved a table for 5 minutes later. We've ate great ravioli and gnocci and drank a good glass of syrah, and the apple tarte with cinnamon ice cream is delicious! The service is nice, the atmosphere is pleasant, try it if you are nearby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodNJKenDined on 10/10/2013Food very good. Only bad thing was the desert. Waitress hyped the bread pudding and it was awful. It did not have the texture of bread pudding at all and tasted like lemon cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICE OUTDOOR TABLESLULUDined on 10/4/2013THE FOOD IS FINE, THE SERVICE WAS OKAY - UNENTHUSIASTIC WAITRESS. WOULD BE NICE IF THAY COULD GET SOME FRENCH FRIES RATHER THAN "FIRED POTATOES".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- roses is a neighborhood stand byshilaVIPDined on 9/18/2013but coming at the hour of a performance at St. Mary's turned out to be more wait then eat..we had to RUSH but the food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience...Hopk7791Dined on 8/15/2013Enjoyed my recent dining experience at his establishment. The employees were so welcoming and obviously enjoyed where they worked...many times that makes such a difference. Food was good and the ambiance made you feel like you were in a cafe in France. We'll definitely b making another visit very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and not our last!ClarkADined on 7/27/2013We had a great experience at Rose's and will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- Dinner with Dad at Rosie'sDinnersWithDadDined on 7/15/2013This week we tried Rosie's Cafe. I had been wanting to go there for a while as it's frequently nice and busy when I walk by. As usual we were part of the early crowd at 5:30, but there was a nice mix of older tourists, business meetings and families there. The service was really good - our waitress was attentive and knowledgeable about the wine list and allergy information on the food. We ate light on soup and salad and were glad: the minestrone soup was lovely - not laden down with tomatoes and pasta like usual, and we were really happy with our salads. Overall a great experience and I would highly recommend Rosie's Cafe for a nice casual dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gem, top serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/10/2013Came to Rose's for my birthday. It has a great vibe, and the service was truly excellent. Anything on the menu is a good choice. Everyone's food was fantastic. Friends of ours go every Friday - it is that kind of local spot.Special Features:
- Careless service, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/18/2013The service was not really caring. The food was not particularly good. The espresso was poor. The pasta was mediocre and looked to me reheated (very hot) in a microwave. I would not go there again.
- not a first or a last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2013not a first or a last time here. The menu is limited and each dish is perfectly done. Service was gracious, attentive without being intrusive. A faultless gem of a place to enjoy.Special Features:
- In the past we've enjoyedhalfdomeVIPDined on 5/10/2013In the past we've enjoyed our meals at Rose's Café but lately, they are bland and uninspiring. Not sure what happened but the menu and/or kitchen needs a remake to get us back.