532 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133-2802Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosepistola.com/
- Phone: (415) 399-0499
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: 11:30am to 4:45pm Seven days a week
DINNER: 5:30 p.m. Seven days a week
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mark Gordon, Pablo Estrada
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live jazz Sunday & Thursday nights 8-10 p.m.; Friday & Saturday nights 9-11 p.m.
- Cross Street: Between Green & Union Streets
- Public Transit: Muni lines 9x, 9bx, 20, 30, 41 & 45 all stop within a block of the restaurant. The Powell-Mason cable car line stops about two blocks from the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street parking also available. Parking lots available on Powell btwn. Green & Union; on Green btwn. Columbus & Powell; on Filbert at Columbus
A word from Rose Pistola
Voted the best new restaurant in the country in 1996, Rose Pistola is a celebration of the bawdy, friendly but sophisticated side of San Francisco’s Italian district – North Beach. This stylish gathering place personifies the vibrancy of its namesake, a North Beach denizen who ran the most colorful bar and restaurant in the neighborhood. With its San Francisco-style dining counter, booths cozy dining room and lively bar, Rose Pistola invites everything from a leisurely glass of Chianti and a bowl of pasta, to a traditional, Italian-style feast of seasonal antipasti, whole roasted fish and rotisserie meats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Rose Pistola reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (59)good for groups (46)special occasion (36)romantic (23)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (20)notable wine list (19)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (16)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- A great place for wine and jazz.JeremyCDined on 11/23/2014Rose Pistola has a good selection of wines, acoustics that allow you to hear your date, and live jazz on the weekends. It's a lovely place. But eat somewhere else first. No one goes to Rose Pistola for the food.Special Features:
- Good & Distinct Italian JointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Liked the place and liked the food. The menu looks a lot like typical Italian fare but on closer inspection each dish is a little more unique -- and a little more like a remember from my visits to Italy. Lot's of seafood (not surprising given its location in North Beach). Interesting list of wines both by the bottle and the glass. Overall a lively, dynamic place. A bit noisy for a romantic meal but we had one anyway. Good service. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to Be Back...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2014I was happy to be at Rose Pistola. I've been dining there for years, but hadn't been in a while. It's as good as ever. Tasty mussels, a little bit of bruschetta with mozzarella and basil. Tender pork with kale and the classic gelato affogato. The service is still of high quality. The Live Music was a pleasant surprise. How does a ristorante that's been so good for "molti anni" get better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner atr Rose PistolaCarlDined on 11/17/2014We regularly visit Rose Pistola when in San Francisco. The quality of the food, the imaginative menu and the high level of friendly service are never a disappointment. we look forward to many future visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decline in qualityFargoDined on 10/28/2014had a superb experience here on October 18 and a mediocre experience on October 28. Management needs to pay attention.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceGRodVIPDined on 10/28/2014Rose Pistola delivers!! I had an important lunch where I needed to entertain some people from out of town. They wanted to eat in North Beach and I needed a quality restaurant. North Beach is littered with touristy restaurants that do not provide quality food or service to less discerning transient customers. Although Rose Pistola may not be considered a trendy new restaurant that people stand in line for, it is a quality restaurant that provides great food, great service, at a fair price. There is a great bar scene, recently remodeled decor, and dynamic menu. I strongly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Rose PistolaHumbertsFoodDined on 10/27/2014While I've eaten in North Beach many times I have only dined at RP once or twice previously and those times go back a few years. However, myself and a guest had an very nice lunch earlier in the week (10/27). Service was prompt but not over bearing and the food was excellent. In this case it was appetizers, salads and pasta. Nothing to challenging for the kitchen, but all of the dishes were expertly prepared and very tasty. Perhaps because it was a Monday the restaurant had quite a few open table at lunch. I will return for another meal and would definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryDined on 10/26/2014The food, service and ambiance were as expected…great as always.Special Features:
- PaulGDined on 10/25/2014Great late night dinner. Excellent service. Fun eveningSpecial Features:
- No 1,000 Pts Here/Tourist TrapWineGooRewDined on 10/24/2014I booked a 1,000 point table here - received a call saying 'looking forward to you dining this evening' and then I received 100 points instead of 1,000? Why? I don't get it. The food was decent but MASSIVELY Expensive for a small pasta dish. We gave the waiter some wine but still were charged corkage - no worries here just an Fyi. The Waiter Tony did an excellent job - especially considering the place was nearly empty due to the Giants World Series game. We split 3 courses and the bill was still close to $200 bucks. we had a couple glasses of wine. Seems Outrageous to me. When I was a Sommelier nearby many moons ago - the Wine Companies used to take me here to discuss their portfolio. Tourist Trap.Special Features:
- Great Find for Visitorsrpg14Dined on 10/24/2014We were a group of four in town for the weekend. Found Rosa Pistola on OpenTable. While the back of the restaurant may have been a little quieter for conversation or more romantic, we chose to have dinner at one of the common tables in the bar area because we liked the atmosphere. The receptionist seemed a little put out that we moved tables, but other than that everything was fantastic. Every course was enjoyed by all - wine, apps, entrees, desserts and coffee. I would be happy to eat the scallops everyday. And our server was very attentive. Thanks for a great evening!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2014Enjoyed dinner. The food was good. Everyone in the party was happy with their meal.That's enough!
- Great Pizza, Pasta, and ServicezjlcaliDined on 10/18/2014We arrived just on time for our reservation, and were immediately seated. Service was outstanding, and the food was amazing. I highly recommend the pizza - cooked in a wood oven that you can see as you walk by the bar and the sauce is just amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better Food than its NeighborFargoDined on 10/18/2014Rose Pistola sits next door to Original Joe's and is in some respects a knock off, but with much better food even though it may lack the buzz and the excitement of Joe's. It offers some of the best food I have ever experienced in San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Columbus Day Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/12/2014We were seated outside in the shade and were able to have a delicious lunch, service was excellent even with all the festivities. Everyone was friendly and it was a great place to watch the parade.Special Features:
- MediocrehappyVIPDined on 10/12/2014Most overrated Italian restaurant in San Francisco. Definitely not a destination spot and most menu items are done equally well in other SF restaurants. I was lucky enough to avoid a table next to a table of 6 guests - two crying and sitting in baby strollers! Thankfully the restaurant is large enough to avoid such annoyace.Special Features:
- Group Dinnerfoodie247Dined on 10/10/2014Group of 9, they were ready right on time and prompt with getting drinks. They had good timing on appetizers and meals as well. The salmon was a little dry but the corn with it was delicious. We sat in the back at a long table and it wasn't as noisy as it was closer to the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experiencelybcheneatsDined on 10/10/2014Great food, even better service. I would highly recommend this restaurant. We were a group of 8 who each ordered something different and tried each other's dishes. Everything was so well prepared. The waiter made a suggestion for an Italian wine that we were not familiar with. We all loved it.Special Features:
- Very pleasedBostonBobVIPDined on 10/7/2014We are from out of town and this restaurant was recommended to us. The service was great, the food was fantastic although it was a bit pricey. But we were satisfied with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good if inconsistentargusDined on 10/6/2014Have gone to Rose Pistola for six, seven years. The food can range from excellent to average, there's no pattern. Even something as simple as a pizza can be great one time and merely ok another. This also applies to the service, where wait staff turnover is very rapid and some are great, some mediocre. It's always a bit strange when I know the menu better than the waiter! The venue is great, very comfortable and well designed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a nice settingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We had a great time exploring the North Beach neighborhood and ended the night at Rose Pistolas. The gnudi was melt-in-your-mouth and the cheese course was really well paired.Special Features:
- Not too touristyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014Rose Pistola is a great choice when you have friends or family visiting and they want to experience North Beach but you want to still have a legitimately good meal, not just dine at a tourist destination. The food was great, as was the service. I would love a few more vegetarian pasta options but overall, it was delicious.Special Features:
- Best new Restaurant in US 1996RobinVIPDined on 9/29/2014Don't forget, Rose Pistola won the James Beard Award for best new restaurant in the USA the year it opened. Great lunch place. Very thin crust pizzas, grilled octopus was perfect, pasta in veal sauce rich and delicious. We plan to return with friends.Special Features:
- GreatAllenVIPDined on 9/28/2014It had been years since we were there, and this time was better all the way around. Food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find.PuppymommaDined on 9/27/2014This place had good food and live jazz playing. The decor was updated. Cocktails were also good. We had a really nice experience. It was crowded and the service was a little thin but still friendly and helpful. Moderate San Francisco prices but pizzas were very affordable. Very close walk from Beach Blanket Babylon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is run by the grownupsOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/27/2014The food continues to be top-notch and the staff pays attention to every minor detail - without being intrusive. I dined two couples from out of town and they were raving the wonderful experience for the rest of the evening.Special Features:
- won the test of timesamngiaDined on 9/26/2014I last went to Rose Pistola over ten years ago. I was pleased to see that they have stuck to the same philosophy that they did back then. The food is still very good and the service is above averageSpecial Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Very unfriendly wait staff. Definitely felt like the staffs priority wast to turn and burn tables - they probably asked 5 times if we were done with our plates while there was still food on them. We went for a good pasta meal the night before a run - the food was okay, but not a lot of pasta options (the classics were all missing) and portions were pretty limited. Would not recommend this place to anyone.
- great_lunchtravelingeatersDined on 9/26/2014had Caprese salad and chopped salad with blue cheese vinegarette both salads were outstanding - the caprese came with special greens instead of basil but the greens were great and the Mozzerella was the best we had ever had; the chopped salad wad also outstanding with fabulous blue cheese my wife thought her pizza was very good but not quite as good as Tony's My chicken breast was big and good but not spectacularSpecial Features:
- RandolphVIPDined on 9/22/2014I was a fan when the restaurant first opened and it was always "the" Go to for clean consistent food! After many years away, it is still keeping with the Original concept! Thank You! Still A Fan!Special Features:
- Great ServiceSundanceDined on 9/20/2014I booked a reservation for 12 people for my sister's birthday and as I should have expected our party grew to 15 people. The restaurant was very accommodating and added the additional seating without a problem. Angela, our waitress for the entire evening, was fabulous! I have to say I was surprised the restaurant only had one main person handling our table but between the wine pours and bringing out the food she did an excellent job. There was occasionally a couple of other people helping with getting water and cocktails but Angela was our primary. As for the food - I had the risotto which was excellent though the portion was a little smaller than I expected it to be. A friend had ordered a pizza which I had not tried and it was good.Special Features:
- One of the better NB restaurantsMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 9/14/2014Definitely one of the better restaurants in the sea of Italian restaurants in North Beach! The environment and service matches the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New FavoritePrincessfoxtrotDined on 9/13/2014Went here for birthday party- was concerned maybe certain folks would be too picky. EVERYONE LOVED THEIR DISHES, THE WINE LIST, THE DESERTS! Everyone was so happy with their choices. I have been here many times, and love it, but was concerned about the guests. The best thing I heard from someone in our party "I have never tasted anything like these dishes- no chef has prepared the dishes with these combination of flavors/ingredients." That made me soooo happy. We are planning our Holiday Party here as well now!Special Features:
- Rose Pistola is a N Beach WinnerPaulaJeanDined on 9/13/2014The highlight: the cheesecake for dessert. Hands down WoW and the presentation is lovely! Branzino is delicious and deboned at the table. The melon salad very fresh but not super creative in flavors. Wait staff excellent. Restaurant is loud when full but cheerful. There are tables outside right in front of the band area so I think stopping for dessert and sitting outdoors might be nice although you are on a major busy street. This would be a great place for a fun date. My friend had the pasta/shrimp/corn dish and I thought it was just okay though the people next to us raved. Mozzarella salad was delicious and the cheese was super soft and creamy.Special Features:
- ReturnerGreatDined on 9/11/2014I have eaten here 3 times in the last 17 years and its always great enough to bring me back every time we visit San Fran from Texas.Special Features:
- dreamsmarqDined on 9/9/2014always a pleasure ----------------------------------------------------------------Special Features:
- A MUSTOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/9/2014We always return to Rose's when in San Francisco and have NEVER been less than amazed at the quality of food and service we receive here. Recommend highly.Special Features:
- MochiVIPDined on 9/7/2014Food was delicious. Service wasgreat. Too noisy.Special Features:
- poor service & weird foodbijouxxVIPDined on 9/4/2014Terribke service & they try too hsrd too make food trendy so lose the flavor. And overpriced. Don't go.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2014FIRST TIME. EARLY DINNER, GOOD SERVICE, IMPRESSIVE ENTRANCE. GOOD BAR.Special Features: