532 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133-2802Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rosepistola.com/
- Phone: 4153990499
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: 11:30am to 4:45pm Seven days a week
DINNER: 5:30 p.m. Seven days a week
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mark Gordon, Pablo Estrada
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live jazz Sunday & Thursday nights 8-10 p.m.; Friday & Saturday nights 9-11 p.m.
- Cross Street: Between Green & Union Streets
- Public Transit: Muni lines 9x, 9bx, 20, 30, 41 & 45 all stop within a block of the restaurant. The Powell-Mason cable car line stops about two blocks from the restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Street parking also available. Parking lots available on Powell btwn. Green & Union; on Green btwn. Columbus & Powell; on Filbert at Columbus
A word from Rose Pistola
Voted the best new restaurant in the country in 1996, Rose Pistola is a celebration of the bawdy, friendly but sophisticated side of San Francisco’s Italian district – North Beach. This stylish gathering place personifies the vibrancy of its namesake, a North Beach denizen who ran the most colorful bar and restaurant in the neighborhood. With its San Francisco-style dining counter, booths cozy dining room and lively bar, Rose Pistola invites everything from a leisurely glass of Chianti and a bowl of pasta, to a traditional, Italian-style feast of seasonal antipasti, whole roasted fish and rotisserie meats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Rose Pistola - Best Restaurants in North Beach ›
Rose Pistola reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (54)good for groups (42)special occasion (39)great for lunch (29)romantic (24)great for outdoor dining (19)vibrant bar scene (17)notable wine list (16)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (9)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great ServiceSundanceDined on 9/20/2014I booked a reservation for 12 people for my sister's birthday and as I should have expected our party grew to 15 people. The restaurant was very accommodating and added the additional seating without a problem. Angela, our waitress for the entire evening, was fabulous! I have to say I was surprised the restaurant only had one main person handling our table but between the wine pours and bringing out the food she did an excellent job. There was occasionally a couple of other people helping with getting water and cocktails but Angela was our primary. As for the food - I had the risotto which was excellent though the portion was a little smaller than I expected it to be. A friend had ordered a pizza which I had not tried and it was good.Special Features:
- One of the better NB restaurantsMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 9/14/2014Definitely one of the better restaurants in the sea of Italian restaurants in North Beach! The environment and service matches the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New FavoritePrincessfoxtrotDined on 9/13/2014Went here for birthday party- was concerned maybe certain folks would be too picky. EVERYONE LOVED THEIR DISHES, THE WINE LIST, THE DESERTS! Everyone was so happy with their choices. I have been here many times, and love it, but was concerned about the guests. The best thing I heard from someone in our party "I have never tasted anything like these dishes- no chef has prepared the dishes with these combination of flavors/ingredients." That made me soooo happy. We are planning our Holiday Party here as well now!Special Features:
- Rose Pistola is a N Beach WinnerPaulaJeanDined on 9/13/2014The highlight: the cheesecake for dessert. Hands down WoW and the presentation is lovely! Branzino is delicious and deboned at the table. The melon salad very fresh but not super creative in flavors. Wait staff excellent. Restaurant is loud when full but cheerful. There are tables outside right in front of the band area so I think stopping for dessert and sitting outdoors might be nice although you are on a major busy street. This would be a great place for a fun date. My friend had the pasta/shrimp/corn dish and I thought it was just okay though the people next to us raved. Mozzarella salad was delicious and the cheese was super soft and creamy.Special Features:
- ReturnerGreatDined on 9/11/2014I have eaten here 3 times in the last 17 years and its always great enough to bring me back every time we visit San Fran from Texas.Special Features:
- dreamsmarqDined on 9/9/2014always a pleasure ----------------------------------------------------------------Special Features:
- A MUSTOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/9/2014We always return to Rose's when in San Francisco and have NEVER been less than amazed at the quality of food and service we receive here. Recommend highly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/7/2014Food was delicious. Service wasgreat. Too noisy.Special Features:
- poor service & weird foodbijouxxVIPDined on 9/4/2014Terribke service & they try too hsrd too make food trendy so lose the flavor. And overpriced. Don't go.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2014FIRST TIME. EARLY DINNER, GOOD SERVICE, IMPRESSIVE ENTRANCE. GOOD BAR.Special Features:
- So..so...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Our waiter was nice...but slow service... Ceased salad soaked in dressing....Fungi pizza had no flavor! Was like eating greasy cardboard.... After 6:30, the place gets so loud, you have to scream to be heard...was a frustrating experience!Special Features:
- iovetoeatDined on 8/28/2014Great Pizza Pasta & Salad! Wonderful Service Lovely dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy and Tasty!FoodessVIPDined on 8/24/2014Chicken Under a Brick, and over a bed of delicious spinach, garnished with roasted baby grapes.. The chicken was done, but could have been cooked, just a bit more, to make the top crispy..but it was all delicious! Also enjoyed the Chopped Salad, nicely dressed, with just the right amount of blue cheese. "Rose" is my "go to" place, in North Beach..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much banging for the buckBrooklynRhinoDined on 8/23/2014When you spend $70 or so per person, you really expect a top of the line experience. This meal was quite good, but not terrific. The restaurant was noisy. If money is no object, eat here. It was fine.Special Features:
- This is where the tourists eatevamarieVIPDined on 8/21/2014A very disappointing meal. While the food was good (though uneven), the service was brusque at best and indifferent at worst. The best part of the evening was the live jazz music. I suppose if you want to sit on the busy sidewalk in North Beach and eat decent Italian food, this would be a good choice, but there are so many better places, some of them right in the same neighborhood.
- Great dinnersoxbyDined on 8/9/2014Everything about this restaurant was first class. Servers very friendly and knowledgeable. Food choices were outstanding and the food itself was delicious. So glad we had a reservation otherwise we would have been turned away. Great ambiance with live music. Will be back on another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Dining, Sophisticated FoodFoodessVIPDined on 8/5/2014Corn Pudding, hot appetizer...smooth, creamy, great flavor, trimmed with delicious mushrooms..Veal ragout with favas and mint.. beautifully layered to distribute the delicious flavors, throughout. This restaurant consistently does great pastas. Great service, nice vibe.. Will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sourpuss, snobby wait staffMJ75VIPDined on 8/2/2014My friend and I made a reservation for a special dinner here. The food was SPECTACULAR- super hot, fresh, full of wonderful flavors. It is too bad that our waiter was unable to smile, looked put out to even speak to us, very snobbish. We ordered quite a bit of food and a couple nice glasses of wine. We were fully prepared to tip well. However, Mr. Sourpuss did not earn any kudos. Too bad!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoriteAnneVIPDined on 7/31/2014We love the service , location and great food, especially the small plates, whic allows us to order more items and share everything!Special Features:
- excellent foodMontereytouristDined on 7/27/2014great food and ambiance. our server was funny & knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Great spot in North Beach! Met our cousin from Milwaukee for the first time and learned all about relatives in Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience - AgainCJStavertVIPDined on 7/23/2014A North Beach favorite for years, and recognized as a top spot in the annual SF Chronicle restaurant edition. They accomodated a group of six on late notice. Great menu and service. I will return again and again. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Perfect birthday dinner!out2lunchDined on 7/22/2014Our party of three would definitely recommend Rose Pistola. From the very comfortable booth table to the prompt service and excellent food, we loved it all. The salad with avocado and garden fresh fruit was memorable. Main courses of salmon over grilled corn, seafood risotto, and scallops were all delicious and generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Team DinnerDorothyDined on 7/22/2014I wanted to pick a fun SF place for all of my team from all over the West. We not only had a great dining experience, but the waiter was fantastic at managing a large, energetic table. We had 14 and I'm sure kept him on his toes, but we never knew it. Service was amazing!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/21/2014Consistently reliable food and service. Always a good choice.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 7/19/2014We were looking forward to our dinner at Rose Pistola, but came away disappointed. The evening started well with Valet Parking (great + in North Beach), followed by a warm welcome from the hostess and a great table in the window. But then, we did not get water or a visit from our waitress for 10 minutes. When she came by, she was rushed and barely had time to answer our questions. The fish dinners - salmon and ahi tuna - were both tasty and interesting, though the salmon came on a bed of what tasted like canned corn! The pizza was on a crockery-crust, fresh but not to our liking and the pasta dish lacked flavor. Our waitress seemed indifferent to customers. We will look for other Italian restaurants in North Beach the next time.
- LeslieDined on 7/18/2014Good restaurant--not sure if I would return after being reported as a no show--too many other good options in SF
- Great dinner before showOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Excellent food and service...very good wine list...convenient to Beach Blanket Babylon theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice. special occasion restaurantMarinMikeDined on 7/10/2014The service waa notably and sufficiently attentive. The waiter noticed that I was showing my friend a special birthday card I had received. Later, when I ordered dessert, the waiter brought my dessert with an elegant, lighted birthday candle. MarinMikeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/10/2014If you are going to North Beach -- this is a great choice---they have valet parking for lunch and dinner. Try to get a space around there.....Its in a great location and has an impressive front and inside....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Partly DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Nice place with good view of open kitchen. Large pizza oven and the funghi pizza was quite good with chanterelles on a nice thin crust. Unfortunately, the "brick" chicken was overdone and quite dry. Probably should have sent it back, but didn't want delay. Remember restaurant as being quite good from my distant memory, but this visit, the food was a bit disappointing. Service and ambience were fine.
- Relaxed and DeliciousLucullusinaDined on 6/29/2014Quirky and warm atmosphere, friendly unpretentious vibe, and simply and expertly prepared food made this an evening to remember on the last night of our family trip to SF. Great live jazz too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, great locationNapafoodieDined on 6/28/2014We've dined here a few times and always enjoy it (menu choices, food, presentation, drinks, live music, location). Unfortunately, this time we had a waiter who was not in the mood to be working. We are writing it off as just one of those things and will return.Special Features:
- LunchBobbVIPDined on 6/28/2014Went there for lunch, grat service and great food!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Pasta was good. Scallops were salty. Waiter gave higher preference to larger parties. Visit was not as good as my last one.Special Features:
- Food and funJagaDined on 6/27/2014This restaurant is charming, the food yummy and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationSweetieVIPDined on 6/26/2014It's a nice walk from my office and my recently-retired friend and I met for a delightful salmon celebration. Service was deft, food was expertly prepared, worth just a slight wait from the kitchen. Loved the candle in the flan for birthday boy. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Very munch the North Beach StapleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Was everything we hoped for and more. The experience was fantastic from the valet to the waiter to the food runner. Excellent menu and complex pallet pleasers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food okay serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/19/2014been here before and where food is very good service is less than it could be. told them with reserv. that we had a birthday and they still almost brought cake without candle and then were awkward about the delivery. Also gnocchi was gummy and returned... too late into dinner for guest to reorder. Not sure I'd go back.
- Always goodAnnaVIPDined on 6/17/2014Food is consistently good, it's been there a long time, so is less crowded and noisy than the trendier North Beach hot spots, which makes it a gem. Pizzas outstanding, fresh grilled Branzino is simply great, enough for 2 people. Full bar, good selection of winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.